I am new to the new edition of the game although I've got heavy experience with previous editions. This new one seems to be more flexible with focus and scope so it's got me wondering if we'll see a Way of the Daimyo style rules for having a position of responsibility. My players are interested in running villages and it's made me wonder how to pull this off. 

The Core book already has a bit on describing what the court of a daimyo looks like (what positions) and rules for playing higher ranking samurai, and then in Emerald Empire, it adds a lot of titles like Daimyo which work with those notes, so it's somewhat supported. FFG has done support with their other games for more concrete rules for running things like businesses, towns, etc, so I expect something like that will show up eventually. 

Things I would suggest:

• Start with Veteran Samurai characters (P.305 core book sidebar). That gives you starting characters with +50 XP and their choice of titles (as agreed by the GM).
    • If you really want to up the ante, you can use the Fate of the Realm campaign style (P.307 core book) which gives them a further +30 XP and a Nemurani. I wouldn't advise this since they then get a 'Quest' instead of a Giri, which isn't so suited for a 'rule a domain' campaign.
  • Go to Emerald Empire for your titles. One player should take Daimyo, whilst the others can take Advisor, Clan Magistrate, Gunso, and you've got a decent little 'ruling council' for a small province.
  • Emerald Empire also has some nice generic maps of a castle, village, and shrine you can use.
  • Check out Courts of Stone for the background on domains @neilcell mentions.

5 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Things I would suggest:

• Start with Veteran Samurai characters (P.305 core book sidebar). That gives you starting characters with +50 XP and their choice of titles (as agreed by the GM).
    • If you really want to up the ante, you can use the Fate of the Realm campaign style (P.307 core book) which gives them a further +30 XP and a Nemurani. I wouldn't advise this since they then get a 'Quest' instead of a Giri, which isn't so suited for a 'rule a domain' campaign.
  • Go to Emerald Empire for your titles. One player should take Daimyo, whilst the others can take Advisor, Clan Magistrate, Gunso, and you've got a decent little 'ruling council' for a small province.
  • Emerald Empire also has some nice generic maps of a castle, village, and shrine you can use.
  • Check out Courts of Stone for the background on domains @neilcell mentions.

In addition, Courts of Stone has Castellan title, which is second only to Daimyo in authority in the domain.