LostFleet

Is SSD a turning point for Armada?

Let me preface my comment with the fact that I am new to Armada (spring 2019), and have been playing Xwing for about three years (before the change to 2.0).

____

SSD and the "Rim!" box and the Starhawk+Onagar, with their increased relative retail costs compared to previous Large base capital ships all remind me of one thing: the twilight of X-Wing 1.0.

Now, this entire subject is worthy of an extensive blog post, but I'll simplify my argument and look at the most important thing: Clone Wars factions.

I think it's universally obvious that FFG wants to create comprehensive Star wars tabletop experiences with their miniatures licenses, and Armada has been (strangely) missing out on this aspect of the experience the last year. 

I believe the Armada system of upgrade cards and upgrade slots are quite un-welcoming towards the addition of Prequel factions, and would require an extensive overhaul in order to accommodate the expansion of the base game into 4+ factions. 

This argument alone is enough for me to say that the current waves of content are meant to breathe life into the community as FFG preps for a new addition, new core sets, and conversion kits for a new generation of fleet battles. The conversation won't be "pre SSD or Post SSD", but rather "1st Ed. Vs. 2nd Ed."

That's my hot take. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Bucknife said:

I believe the Armada system of upgrade cards and upgrade slots are quite un-welcoming towards the addition of Prequel factions, and would require an extensive overhaul in order to accommodate the expansion of the base game into 4+ factions.  

Eh, I don't think that's really true.

Consider the one major factor about Armada that defines it - wave 1 stuff is still and always has been viable.  GenCon was just won by a wave 1 commander, and the top 2 spots dominated by ships people had previously considered some of the weakest in the game.  Objectives and skill matter A LOT in Armada, much more than the sort of release wave power creep X-Wing 1.0 was dominated by.

That makes it a lot easier to introduce a new faction - give us an Imperial Venator and Rebel...something, Recusant or Lucrehulk...in a wave.  Then a modest-sized (three SKU) Clone Wars wave later - a conversion kit that adds cross-faction bases for those to be Republic and Separatist, with maybe bases for a few others (Arquitens to the Republic and Nebulon-B to the Seps?), with a Munificent and Acclamator ship in the box with Droid and Clone fighter squadrons, and then alongside that standalone expansions for a couple other Republic and Sep ships, and you're set.  More than enough to be viable for quite a stretch.

Edited by xanderf

It would seem that the Starhawk actually might be, I've noticed it getting a lot of attention on non-Armada Star Wars media, Eckhardts Ladder and Generation Tech have both done videos on it and that's how you get new people into the game.

On 7/31/2019 at 5:28 PM, The Jabbawookie said:

Things have changed a lot since the days of Rhymerballs and flotilla lifeboats.  There are still meta lists, but with some careful planning you can make even a competitive fleet that's different from anything else hitting the table.  Not a lot released in the past couple waves has come close to breaking the game (though Pryce and Squall push the limit,) and both factions have a whole lot more options.

Maybe but I wasn't here to find out. Not saying you are wrong, but my camel was long broken.

However, this is the first game I ever lost interest in and gained a renewed interest in to give it a second try. 

On 8/4/2019 at 10:20 AM, Bucknife said:

Why? I don't see the connection. Do you mean because the Imperial and Rebel factions have a large number of faction specific upgrades, and so new factions will have fewer in comparison?

7 minutes ago, ExplosiveTooka said:

I'm super curious about what the starhawk is gonna end up playing like on the table. The ballista on a star destroyer looks pretty self explanatory 

😃... Nice one...

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, bleezy said:

Why? I don't see the connection. Do you mean because the Imperial and Rebel factions have a large number of faction specific upgrades, and so new factions will have fewer in comparison?

Are they really going to make new players picking a clone wars faction buy the MC30 just to get ordinance experts or the coveted TRCs? 

Or are they really going to put these upgrades in each new clone wars ship that has an evade token or ordinance slot? 

Seems QUITE unwieldy to me if they plan to invigorate the game with new players and new factions...

Now, do the Clone Wars factions HAVE to use the exact same upgrade slots as the current factions? 

No. I'll concede that point towards them being able to glue the new factions on to the current game...if they really wanted to do so. 

But do I think thats what is going to happen? No. 

Not trying to be a wet paper bag guys. I love Armada! I just don't see it moving forward with new factions without a new edition, that's all. 

Edited by Bucknife

24 minutes ago, Bucknife said:

Are they really going to make new players picking a clone wars faction buy the MC30 just to get ordinance experts or the coveted TRCs? 

Or are they really going to put these upgrades in each new clone wars ship that has an evade token or ordinance slot? 

Seems QUITE unwieldy to me if they plan to invigorate the game with new players and new factions...

Now, do the Clone Wars factions HAVE to use the exact same upgrade slots as the current factions? 

No. I'll concede that point towards them being able to glue the new factions on to the current game...if they really wanted to do so. 

Not trying to be a wet paper bag guys. I love Armada! I just don't see it moving forward with new factions without a new edition, that's all. 

Or, the could, you know, do the same exact thing FFG is already doing for the new Clone Wars factions in Star Wars Legion, release card packs that include all those important cards form the Galactic Civil War factions that they don't plan on including in the Clone Wars expansions. 

It's really not a stretch. 

3 minutes ago, LordCola said:

Or, the could, you know, do the same exact thing FFG is already doing for the new Clone Wars factions in Star Wars Legion, release card packs that include all those important cards form the Galactic Civil War factions that they don't plan on including in the Clone Wars expansions. 

Even though I almost have at least one of each set so far I'd still buy at least one card pack to get more of the good cards. 

16 minutes ago, LordCola said:

I sure hope so! 

It'd be a shame for everyone who has already bought across just to get cards, but the important part would remain that is makes things easier on new players. 

But between two different minis games we have already seen two different ways of addressing this issue. 

I'll bet we'll see a strange hybrid third way with Armada when it happens. 

Because ffg. 

2 minutes ago, Bucknife said:

It'd be a shame for everyone who has already bought across just to get cards

I never understood this anyway, tbh.  Every ship in this game is genuinely fun to fly, and you’d be spending 30 bucks just to not proxy/borrow a Flechette Torpedoes, or 50 for Projection Experts...

3 hours ago, Bucknife said:

On the Stream, they said that they were looking at exploring Legion-Style Upgrade Card Packs in the future.

4 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

On the Stream, they said that they were looking at exploring Legion-Style Upgrade Card Packs in the future.

X-wing is getting card packs. They contain upgrades, obstacles and more:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/8/1/aces-in-the-hole/

So be not too surprised if this happens in armada.

8 hours ago, Bucknife said:

I sure hope so! 

It'd be a shame for everyone who has already bought across just to get cards, but the important part would remain that is makes things easier on new players. 

But between two different minis games we have already seen two different ways of addressing this issue. 

I'll bet we'll see a strange hybrid third way with Armada when it happens. 

Because ffg. 

Aha! So you think it is gonna happen!! 

Gotcha!

😜