GhostofNobodyInParticular

Republic At War Rules/OC Conversation

1 hour ago, GhostofNobodyInParticular said:

A 110 point CIS Fleet greets a 64 point Republic Fleet over Humbarine with a spatter of turbolaser fire. -1 CIS advantage. A 9 is rolled and converted into an 8. The CIS suffers 1 RcB scarred, and the Repulic suffers 1 PeltaC scarred. The CIS must retreat.

Can you explain this, please? I don't understand how the CIS must retreat, although I'm pleased with the result.

Posted (edited)
On 7/29/2019 at 1:38 PM, GhostofNobodyInParticular said:

Any ship that takes more than half its hull points in damage in battle is “scarred” and must be repaired before it can face battle at full strength. A scarred ship counts as half rounded down of its point for combat calculations. To repair a ship it must be in orbit of a planet, or share a space with a vessel with the REPAIR keyword. The cost to repair is equal to one quarter of the cost of the ship, rounded up. A ship cannot be repaired by a planet and by a ship with the REPAIR keyword at the same time.

Just to clarify, does a ship need to suffer Damage greater then half of its Point cost to be scarred? Or is it just if it takes damage? 

For example the recent encounter between a pelta and a RcB, 64 vs 110

Final roll was 20% lost vs 30% lost, wouldn't that Mean the Pelta takes 12 points of damage and remains unscarred, and then the RcB takes 19 points of damage and also remains unscarred?

basacially both ships suffer minor damage that is easily repaired without the need for special equipment and repair docks etc. 

Edited by clontroper5

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, GhostofNobodyInParticular said:

A 100 point Republic Fleet encounters a 23 point CIS fleet over Sullust. -8 Republic's advantage. A 9 is rolled and converted into a 1. The CIS fleet is obliterated.

Sorry to nitpick, but here's another one.

GNIP means a 120 point Republic Fleet; I sent 120 points to Sullust. Even so, I think that's only a -7 Republic's advantage (84% to 16%) by my calculation.

Never mind...

Edited by Bertie Wooster

9 minutes ago, Bertie Wooster said:

Sorry to nitpick, but here's another one.

GNIP means a 120 point Republic Fleet; I sent 120 points to Sullust. Even so, I think that's only a -7 Republic's advantage (84% to 16%) by my calculation.

Is there a warship involved? 

4 hours ago, Bertie Wooster said:

Can you explain this, please? I don't understand how the CIS must retreat, although I'm pleased with the result.

By my count the 9 should be a 7 (-1 for 110 vs 64, -1 for Warship). 

Both sides should take 30% of 64 as casualties, neither is scarred, Republic retreat. 

(This is why I usually write rules where the combat calculator is secret...)

18 minutes ago, LTD said:

By my count the 9 should be a 7 (-1 for 110 vs 64, -1 for Warship). 

Both sides should take 30% of 64 as casualties, neither is scarred, Republic retreat. 

(This is why I usually write rules where the combat calculator is secret...)

63% > 37%, 20% delta.

I’ve been PMing with GNIP and he has a different way of calculating the combat differences. It’s not wrong, just different - but it will result in more extreme swings then my system.

Posted (edited)

Yeah. . . so basically, not knowing how you guys did it, I used the following system:

I subtract the smaller force from the larger, and divide the result by 10% of the larger force. The integer part of the result is how many 10 percents more the larger force is than the lesser, and thus how much to modify the die roll by. 

For example, in the case of Humbrine, 110 v 64, 110-64 is 46, divided by 11 (10% of 110) is 4.181818 and so on. The integer part is 4, so the die roll is modified by 4 in favor of the larger force. Since the CIS was attacking with the 110 points, the modifier would be -4. A 9 was rolled, so it would be converted into a 5. 20% CIS casualties, 40% Republic. As neither side suffers 50% casualties, and only 2 ships were involved, neither ship is scarred and thus the end result is still 110 v 64. The Republic has less surviving points, even though it didn't lose anything, and so must retreat.

This system may be more swingy than LTD's and Jabbas', but as it rewards fleets getting to 500 points (I think), or at least forces people to get higher fleets, I will continue using it.

Edited by GhostofNobodyInParticular

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, GhostofNobodyInParticular said:

(LTD pointed out that --- v --- is no advantage under his system, whereas there is a modifier of 1 in mine), I will continue using it.

Could I ask you to edit this?

Edited by The Jabbawookie

17 hours ago, GhostofNobodyInParticular said:

Yeah. . . so basically, not knowing how you guys did it, I used the following system:

I subtract the smaller force from the larger, and divide the result by 10% of the larger force. The integer part of the result is how many 10 percents more the larger force is than the lesser, and thus how much to modify the die roll by. 

For example, in the case of Humbrine, 110 v 64, 110-64 is 46, divided by 11 (10% of 110) is 4.181818 and so on. The integer part is 4, so the die roll is modified by 4 in favor of the larger force. Since the CIS was attacking with the 110 points, the modifier would be -4. A 9 was rolled, so it would be converted into a 5. 20% CIS casualties, 40% Republic. As neither side suffers 50% casualties, and only 2 ships were involved, neither ship is scarred and thus the end result is still 110 v 64. The Republic has less surviving points, even though it didn't lose anything, and so must retreat.

This system may be more swingy than LTD's and Jabbas', but as it rewards fleets getting to 500 points (I think), or at least forces people to get higher fleets, I will continue using it.

I think I get it now. Is this correct?
500 v 402, results in modifier of 1 in favor of larger force
500 v 455, results in no modifier
500 v 499, results in no modifier
420 v 108, results in modifier of 7 in favor of larger force

7 hours ago, Bertie Wooster said:

I think I get it now. Is this correct?
500 v 402, results in modifier of 1 in favor of larger force
500 v 455, results in no modifier
500 v 499, results in no modifier
420 v 108, results in modifier of 7 in favor of larger force

Bingo. I am not satisfied that 451 v 500 results in no modifier, but at least it makes people go to 451. I may add that a full 500 point fleet gets an extra D6 for bombardment, to give at least some incentive for players to go beyond 450 (which would be the maximum relevant for bombardment).