Jump to content
Marc1080

Maka-Eekai L4000 Transport FFG Star Wars conversion

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone. 

Long story short. The last time I was a DM for a Star Wars game was back with WotC. Now with FFG I'm back.
I'm currently preparing my first FFG Star Wars game as part of the Edge of the Empire setting.
One of the elements I would like to bring back is the ship we used back the day. This was the Maka-Eekai L4000 Transport.

Unfortunately this ship has no official release yet. So I'm looking for a good conversion. With the help of google I found one.
This conversion is aviable on this forum and was made by LibrariaNPC. For the most part I think this is a good conversion.

Since I have no no experience with the FFG Star Wars system yet I tried to compare the ship stats with ships that are official released.
I try to understand the Encumbrance Capacity. How is this calculated? For example:
Wayfarer-class medium transport: Encumbrance Capacity 850; Cargo Capacity 220 metric tons
GR-75 medium transport: Encumbrance Capacity 1000; Cargo Capacity 19,000 metric tons
How does the Cargo Capacity of 410 metric tons  for the L4000 fit in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There's also some stats for one in Cartol's Emporium, they're the version we use in my game.

(Not direct link, the guy deserves the traffic.)

https://jegergryte.wordpress.com/category/ffg-star-wars-rpg/proposals-projects-and-ideas/cartols-emporium/

Hull Type/Class: Light transport/L4000

Manufacturer: Gallofree Yards, Inc.

Hyperdrive: Primary: Class 2, Backup: Class 12

Navicomputer: Yes

Sensor Range: Short

Ship’s Complement: One pilot, one co-pilot/engineer, two gunners

Encumbrance Capacity: 270 (140 metric tons)Passenger Capacity: 9

Consumables: Six months

Cost/Rarity: $180,000 (new), $80,000 (used)/6

Customization Hard Points: 5

Weapons: One Port and One Starboard Turret Mounted Twin Medium Laser Cannons (Fire Arc: Forward, Port, and Aft or Forward, Starboard, and Aft; Damage 6; Critical Hit 3; Range [Close]; Linked 1).

If you're a pilot you want Sil 4 at the most.

Not meaning to toot my own horn but there are several maps I built and have up on deviant art for the L4000, a set of 3 based on the ones by WotC and a set of 3 more based on the Uhumele from the Dark Empire comics (the progenitor ship), STILL slowly working on the middle deck though.

https://www.deviantart.com/thebalzan/gallery/57299149/maka-eekai-l4000

 

As per the 410 tonnes that was errated as being 140 for some reason.

In any case encumbrance is a lot more fluid as it encompasses storage space, weight allotment and like most things in FFG is a lot more open to interpretation intentionally allowing more freedom.

Edited by TheBalzan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi TheBalzan,

Thank you for the reply.

140 metric tons make more sense being marked "light transport"
The deck plan will be very useful. Really like your new version.

I will DM for the coming game, just the FFG Star Wars system is new for me.
Why is Sil 4 better than Sil 5? Is the handling not more important?
I'm overlooking something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marc1080 said:

Hi TheBalzan,

Thank you for the reply.

140 metric tons make more sense being marked "light transport"
The deck plan will be very useful. Really like your new version.

I will DM for the coming game, just the FFG Star Wars system is new for me.
Why is Sil 4 better than Sil 5? Is the handling not more important?
I'm overlooking something?

The benefit for Sil 4 is that you can make two pilot only maneuvers. Anything Sil 5 or larger is limited to only one Pilot Only maneuver per round. However, the downside of being smaller than Sil 5 is that you only have two Shield zones (fore and aft) rather than four zones (Fore, Aft, Port, Starboard). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Tramp Graphics said:

The benefit for Sil 4 is that you can make two pilot only maneuvers. Anything Sil 5 or larger is limited to only one Pilot Only maneuver per round. However, the downside of being smaller than Sil 5 is that you only have two Shield zones (fore and aft) rather than four zones (Fore, Aft, Port, Starboard). 

Having only 2 shield zones is better than having 4 (e.g. because reinforced shield generators provide 3 increase the defense in one zone by 1 mods including the base).  Sil 4 can punch it, sil 5 can't.  Sil 5 can mount light turbolasers, sil 4 can't.  Sil 5 has more enc, htt sst  sil5 usually has better sensors. 

@Marc1080

If you're looking for a house ruleset that is good at reproducing official ship stats try these

Don't know why it's showing that picture from later in the thread

Edited by EliasWindrider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Basically Sil. 4 is the breakpoint for 'Hero ships', where the hotshot pilot can dramatically influence the ship's performance. If you have someone who wants to play a pilot, probably stick with Sil. 4 to start- they'll have a lot more options. Sil. 5 is fine if you don't have a pilot, because repair/boosting shields etc. becomes a bigger part of combat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Talkie Toaster said:

Basically Sil. 4 is the breakpoint for 'Hero ships', where the hotshot pilot can dramatically influence the ship's performance. If you have someone who wants to play a pilot, probably stick with Sil. 4 to start- they'll have a lot more options. Sil. 5 is fine if you don't have a pilot, because repair/boosting shields etc. becomes a bigger part of combat.

Sil 5 ships also typically have the advantage of greater cargo and passenger capacity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

Thanks for the info regarding sil 5 and 4.

Yesterday we had our session 0, so I know have a feel for what the party will look like.
The overal setting will be somewhere between Episode III and IV, basically the Star Wars Rebels timeline. Where Star Wars meets Firefly.

The Captain role will be fulfilled by an Antarian Ranger who survived order 66 (Exloror Fringer / Ship Captain).
The Pilot a Force-Sensitive pilot Corellian Human Sentinel Racer or Warrior Starfighter Ace. He is really aiming for the rank 3 during character creation.
The Engineer Twi'Lek Ace Rigger
The Muscle a Wookie Hired Gun or Soldier class.
The Healer A Twi'Lek Mystic Advisor who is build upon the Heal force power.

So sil 4 will become important for my pilot to use his talents and manoeuvres.
At some point will I introduce the L4000 as a possible Hero ship.

Initially I was thinking to use the Wayfarer as the starter ship. However given the feedback it's more fun for my pilot to have a sil 4.
Next week is or first game. Nothing against the Millenium Falcon / YT-1300. But has someone a good idea of sil 4 ship I could use as a starter ship?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheBalzan said:

All of the fun piloting talents and manoeuvres are not available in silhouette 5, if you want to recreate Millenium Falcon style piloting you want Sil 4.

Unless, of course, you have the Ship's Captain specialization. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Unless, of course, you have the Ship's Captain specialization. 

Well as mentioned one of my players is aiming for the Ship Captain  specialization...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Marc1080 said:

Well as mentioned one of my players is aiming for the Ship Captain  specialization...

Ship Captain is designed with larger ships in mind. In fact the entire Pride and Joy group of talents requires the ship in question to be at least Sil 4, if not larger. The Supreme version even allowing the the captain, as an incidental, to treat his ship as 2 silhouettes smaller for the remainder of the round and the entire following round once per session. That would make a Sil 5 ship able to pull of things that a Sil 3 ship can do, albeit only once per session. This is how Hera Syndulla manages to pull off the things she does in the Ghost that a VCX-100 normally shouldn't be able to pull off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Marc1080 said:

Hi All,

Thanks for the info regarding sil 5 and 4.

Yesterday we had our session 0, so I know have a feel for what the party will look like.
The overal setting will be somewhere between Episode III and IV, basically the Star Wars Rebels timeline. Where Star Wars meets Firefly.

The Captain role will be fulfilled by an Antarian Ranger who survived order 66 (Exloror Fringer / Ship Captain).
The Pilot a Force-Sensitive pilot Corellian Human Sentinel Racer or Warrior Starfighter Ace. He is really aiming for the rank 3 during character creation.
The Engineer Twi'Lek Ace Rigger
The Muscle a Wookie Hired Gun or Soldier class.
The Healer A Twi'Lek Mystic Advisor who is build upon the Heal force power.

So sil 4 will become important for my pilot to use his talents and manoeuvres.
At some point will I introduce the L4000 as a possible Hero ship.

Initially I was thinking to use the Wayfarer as the starter ship. However given the feedback it's more fun for my pilot to have a sil 4.
Next week is or first game. Nothing against the Millenium Falcon / YT-1300. But has someone a good idea of sil 4 ship I could use as a starter ship?

If you've got no more than 6 PCs I suggest that you take a look at the kst-100 in dawn of rebellion, it's the best eote legal starting ship in the game for most parties, especially if you have a hot-shot pilot.  Btw it's sil 3 (which provides a dog fighting advantage) , but there's a majority opinion that it should a small sil 4 based on stats descriptions and art from the kannan comics.  Btw it looks freaking cool  in my opinion.

 

latest?cb=20180128172037latest?cb=20180128172154

Sil 3, Speed 4, Handling +1, Defense 1/-/-/1, Armor 2

HT Threshold 25, SS Threshold 20

Hull Type/Model: Light Freighter/KST-100

Manufacturer: Correllian Engineering Corporation

Hyperdrive: Primary: Class 3, Backup: Class 12.

Navicomputer: Yes

Sensor Range: Short

Ship's Complement: One pilot, one co-pilot

Encumbrance Capacity: 70

Passenger Capacity: 4

Consumables: Two months

Price/Rarity: 120,000 credits/7

Customization Hard Points: 4

Weapons: Forward-mounted light laser cannons (Fire Arc Forward; Damage 5, Critical 3, Range [Close]; Linked 1).

Edited by EliasWindrider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

If you've got no more than 6 PCs I suggest that you take a look at the kst-100 in dawn of rebellion, it's the best eote legal starting ship in the game for most parties, especially if you have a hot-shot pilot.  Btw it's sil 3 (which provides a dog fighting advantage) , but there's a majority opinion that it should a small sil 4 based on stats descriptions and art from the kannan comics.  Btw it looks freaking cool  in my opinion.

I noticed the kst-100. It is indeed a freaking cool ship and given the stats it's very good. On par with with HWK-290 (if not better). Will have to check what the party wants
 

20 hours ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Ship Captain is designed with larger ships in mind. In fact the entire Pride and Joy group of talents requires the ship in question to be at least Sil 4, if not larger. The Supreme version even allowing the the captain, as an incidental, to treat his ship as 2 silhouettes smaller for the remainder of the round and the entire following round once per session. That would make a Sil 5 ship able to pull of things that a Sil 3 ship can do, albeit only once per session. This is how Hera Syndulla manages to pull off the things she does in the Ghost that a VCX-100 normally shouldn't be able to pull off. 

I was thinking about the VCX-100 as well. Unfortunately (except for artwork) is the VCX-100 not in dawn of rebellion. I found the stats online, but I don't if they are correct.
It seems for me on paper the VCX-100 is wors than the Wayfarer (except for the weapons).

Sil 5, Speed 3, Handling -3, Defense 1/1/1/1, Armor 3


HT Threshold 32, SS Threshold 28


Hyperdrive: Primary: Class 2, Backup: Class 14.


Navicomputer: Yes


Sensor Range: Short


Ship's Complement: One pilot, one co-pilot/engineer, one turrent gunner, one aft gunner, two crew


Encumbrance Capacity: 200


Passenger Capacity: 6


Consumables: One months


Price/Rarity: 155,000 credits/8


Customization Hard Points: 5


Weapons: Turrent-mounted Twin Light Laser Cannon (Damage 5 Critical 3, Range [Close]; Linked 1
Aft mounted Twin Light Laser Cannon (Damage 5 Critical 3, Range [Close]; Linked 1
Forward-mounted Twin Medium laser Cannon (Damage 6 Critical 3, Range [Close]; Linked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Marc1080 said:

I noticed the kst-100. It is indeed a freaking cool ship and given the stats it's very good. On par with with HWK-290 (if not better). Will have to check what the party wants
 

I was thinking about the VCX-100 as well. Unfortunately (except for artwork) is the VCX-100 not in dawn of rebellion. I found the stats online, but I don't if they are correct.
It seems for me on paper the VCX-100 is wors than the Wayfarer (except for the weapons).

Sil 5, Speed 3, Handling -3, Defense 1/1/1/1, Armor 3

 


HT Threshold 32, SS Threshold 28

 


Hyperdrive: Primary: Class 2, Backup: Class 14.

 


Navicomputer: Yes

 


Sensor Range: Short

 


Ship's Complement: One pilot, one co-pilot/engineer, one turrent gunner, one aft gunner, two crew

 


Encumbrance Capacity: 200

 


Passenger Capacity: 6

 


Consumables: One months

 


Price/Rarity: 155,000 credits/8

 


Customization Hard Points: 5

 


Weapons: Turrent-mounted Twin Light Laser Cannon (Damage 5 Critical 3, Range [Close]; Linked 1
Aft mounted Twin Light Laser Cannon (Damage 5 Critical 3, Range [Close]; Linked 1
Forward-mounted Twin Medium laser Cannon (Damage 6 Critical 3, Range [Close]; Linked 1

 

 

11 hours ago, JohnDoe244 said:

The VCX is on page 63 of Keeping the Peace (the Guardian career book).

http://swrpg.viluppo.net/transportation/starships/2835/

@JohnDoe244 is correct. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...