Sign in to follow this  
Stagsquad13

Midnight + I1 Silencers x3

Been trialling this list and it’s certainly got me intrigued. The Sienar Engineers are superb blockers, quite tough and can put out some damage. The cost drops across the board here allow for 3 and fanatical Midnight. 

My question to the community is whether Midnight is the best option here?

My rationale was that with three very low initiative ships I wanted an I6 to bother enemy aces. If the Silencers can deliver Midnight to the end game, she is still a real pain.

Having said that, Midnight is not 1.0 Omega Leader and in a few games has been thoroughly underwhelming. The presence of more 4/5 ship lists also seem to neuter her ability. 

Love Scorch but I4 doesn’t feel great here. Are there any other options? Thanks. 

Edited by Stagsquad13

With three Silencers, I'm not sure there's a better option than Midnight.  He's solid enough and can be a pest.

I often like Backdraft as a good, cheap ship, with just Fanatical and Fire Control System, but I don't know that they'd be the right style of ship for this list.

//

How committed are you to three Silencers?  Two Engineers would open up a lot of options.

Quickdraw with gunner and no other upgrades, QD is 55 points, so only 4 more than an Engineer.  Going QD, 2 Engineers, and some 4th ship probably keeps a lot of the same character as the original list, but brings in one of the First Order's most powerful ships.  QD is a great ace-killer, more than an ace, and having that lightens the burden on the 4th ship (probably a TIE/fo) so that it doesn't need to be the anti-ace ship.

• Midnight, QD (Gunner), Engineer x2 fits, but without any Fanatical anywhere.
  • QD (Gunner), Null, Engineer x2 has 12 points to play around with, so maybe Fanatical/FCS on QD, and Shield on Null.  Null is also somewhat of a pesky pilot against aces, moving last and shooting first.
  • Alternately, Lieutenant Rivas is a pretty nice efficiency TIE, also a good blocker, and a higher-than-expected threat, with those free Locks.  Rivas would allow 15 points in spare points.  Fanatical/FCS on QD, and Pattern Analyzer on both Engineers?  Probably depends on playstyle; using a lot of Autothrusters would make it hard to pull red moves, but being able to pull a red into actions could be quite powerful.  Certainly not an auto-include upgrade.
    • Alternately, Primed Thrusters is the same price on Init 1 Silencers.  You could pull reds and boost or barrel roll, or if you really need to take a white move instead of a blue due to board position, you could, and still reposition.  That'd be a lot of movement flexibility.
  • Scorch is also an easy fit, with 9 points to spread around.  Fanatical on Scorch and Fanatical/FCS on Quickdraw would leave a 3 point bid.  Seems like that'd be handy.  Having the Silencers move first against stuff like Vulture/Hyena Swarms could be important.
  • Not a TIE/fo, but Backdraft (Fanatical), QD (Fanatical, Gunner), and 2x Engineers comes out to 200 points exactly.  Downgrading to Crack Shot over Fanatical on both SFs would allow FCS on QD, depending on taste.

6 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

I often like Backdraft as a good, cheap ship, with just Fanatical and Fire Control System, but I don't know that they'd be the right style of ship for this list.

I was thinking also about the generic SF with the elite slot so you can fit in the gunner, and either FCS or Fanatical (probably fanatical). Only an I3 but adds a bit of punch over an FO.

I'm immediately drawn to Quickdraw, Scorch and two Sienar Engineers from your suggestions. 

I'm not completely committed to 3 but I wanted to use my three new mini Silencer models and this list then emerged as a legitimate threat. Having two would probably bring a similar quality but that third just allows for some brilliant positioning. They are very flexible and manoeuvrable ships that can knife fight superbly and create kill boxes with ease. 

8 hours ago, Stagsquad13 said:

I'm immediately drawn to Quickdraw, Scorch and two Sienar Engineers from your suggestions. 

I'm not completely committed to 3 but I wanted to use my three new mini Silencer models and this list then emerged as a legitimate threat. Having two would probably bring a similar quality but that third just allows for some brilliant positioning. They are very flexible and manoeuvrable ships that can knife fight superbly and create kill boxes with ease. 

Ran the QD,scorch,x2 Silencers. Its good but not great. Good because its beefy, and you can outlast most 4 ship squads cuz you have beef and more green dice. Not something I would run in a tourney looking to win the entire thing as it doesnt do anything special (i.e leia, full mod shots, force users, etc) and a good trip aces player can pick this list apart, and any swarm can ps kill one of your silencers and then its an uphill battle, but in my bag for casual night for sure.

I have 3 silencers and midnight + adv optics in my "to try" list. Midnight can be an absolute terror vs acey lists, or any two ship list like Rac ace, double deci, rey/poe. And getting through, or ignoring 3 silencers to get to midnight is not the best route I think. I think it has some potential.

Edited by wurms

So I’ve played 3 games with three Engineers and Midnight, won 3. I’ll put my hands up and say I haven’t faced anything making the cut.

I continue to be so impressed with the Silencers. They are hard to burn down quickly, throw plenty of red dice and their dial, moving first, lets you put them in some amazing spots.

As I said in my OP Midnight continues to be inconsistent but, when kept back in the original rounds of combat she grows into games really nicely. 

It’s done well enough to earn further testing. 

12 hours ago, Stagsquad13 said:

So I’ve played 3 games with three Engineers and Midnight, won 3. I’ll put my hands up and say I haven’t faced anything making the cut.

I continue to be so impressed with the Silencers. They are hard to burn down quickly, throw plenty of red dice and their dial, moving first, lets you put them in some amazing spots.

As I said in my OP Midnight continues to be inconsistent but, when kept back in the original rounds of combat she grows into games really nicely. 

It’s done well enough to earn further testing. 

I'm very tempted to try three named silencers for that matter.

That is where I started. You can fit quite a lot of different combos. There is a local player who has done well with two FOTP with fanatical and optics and Blackout with the same upgrades. 

I have been looking at a FO version of the Republic 2x2 lists.

Blackout and Recoil w Scorch and Rivas perhaps. 

1 hour ago, Magnus Grendel said:

I'm very tempted to try three named silencers for that matter.

Just now, Stagsquad13 said:

As a suggestion?

• Blackout
  • Kylo Ren
  • TN-3465
  • Lieutenant Rivas

If you want 'aces and blockers' you might as well take the ace-isest aces going. That leaves 4 points spare for upgrades. I'd suggest Hate for Kylo.

TN-3465 is a nice blocker but also works very well in conjunction with her boss - being able to generate criticals on spec on a blocked victim means you can actually use the often-forgotten I'll Show You The Dark Side to decent effect.

3 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

As a suggestion?

• Blackout
  • Kylo Ren
  • TN-3465
  • Lieutenant Rivas

If you want 'aces and blockers' you might as well take the ace-isest aces going. That leaves 4 points spare for upgrades. I'd suggest Hate for Kylo.

TN-3465 is a nice blocker but also works very well in conjunction with her boss - being able to generate criticals on spec on a blocked victim means you can actually use the often-forgotten I'll Show You The Dark Side to decent effect.

Looks great! I might go optics Kylo for consistency or pop fanatical on Blackout. Will be interesting to see what the new Silencer pilot in the card packs does. 

Overall I think there is great versatility amongst the FO despite the limited pool of ships at the moment. This was my attempt at the 2x2.

"Scorch" (34)    
    Fanatical (2)    

Ship total: 36  Half Points: 18  Threshold: 2    

Lieutenant Rivas (28)    
Ship total: 28  Half Points: 14  Threshold: 2    

"Blackout" (63)    
    Fanatical (2)    
    Advanced Optics (4)    

Ship total: 69  Half Points: 35  Threshold: 3    

"Recoil" (58)    
    Predator (2)    
    Advanced Optics (4)    

Ship total: 64  Half Points: 32  Threshold: 3    

Total: 197    

Midnight is becoming really valuable right now with a bunch of force users in every list, as well as Ric Olie and his free evade going willy nilly.

5 hours ago, Stagsquad13 said:

The double Silencer is a good 2x2. For 63pts you can get a decent Quickdraw with afterburners though over Blackout.

I've been playing around with midnight, even at 43pts is excellent value in a squad. Ive gone a bit further and built him as an i6 ace which I love more than just Quickdraw with title for same cost.

“Midnight” (43)
Predator (2)
Pattern Analyzer (5)
Afterburners (6)

“Scorch” (34)

“Longshot” (32)

Kylo Ren (76)
Total: 198

The 2x2 has Scorch and Longshot, each with 3 dice shots at range 3. and 7 die at range 1. Kylo is your Vader/dont get him halved win condition. And Midnight is like your Soontir. Just hit and run and shutdown their hardest hitter. First time putting this midnight build on the table and he just reckt a brobot. Solo'd it into oblivion. Afterburned into a range 2 predator shot. Then a hard 1 into a range 1. 5 health gone in two shots. Jedi better be scared of this dude. Im running him in most of my FO squads right now. He is just good in this meta. Just be cautious early game with many ships on the table. Use afterburners to stay alive and dodge arcs if they go for him.

3 hours ago, wurms said:

Midnight is becoming really valuable right now with a bunch of force users in every list, as well as Ric Olie and his free evade going willy nilly.

The double Silencer is a good 2x2. For 63pts you can get a decent Quickdraw with afterburners though over Blackout.

I've been playing around with midnight, even at 43pts is excellent value in a squad. Ive gone a bit further and built him as an i6 ace which I love more than just Quickdraw with title for same cost.

“Midnight” (43)
Predator (2)
Pattern Analyzer (5)
Afterburners (6)

“Scorch” (34)

“Longshot” (32)

Kylo Ren (76)
Total: 198

The 2x2 has Scorch and Longshot, each with 3 dice shots at range 3. and 7 die at range 1. Kylo is your Vader/dont get him halved win condition. And Midnight is like your Soontir. Just hit and run and shutdown their hardest hitter. First time putting this midnight build on the table and he just reckt a brobot. Solo'd it into oblivion. Afterburned into a range 2 predator shot. Then a hard 1 into a range 1. 5 health gone in two shots. Jedi better be scared of this dude. Im running him in most of my FO squads right now. He is just good in this meta. Just be cautious early game with many ships on the table. Use afterburners to stay alive and dodge arcs if they go for him.

Really cool list and I’m with you in terms of the Midnight renaissance. He’s been good for me and most of my my opponents have dismissed him out of hand. I seem to recall a system open winning list that had him, Blackout and Kylo which presumably has just got cheaper, may try and dig that out. 

Thank you all for sharing, will try this asap:

Kylo Ren (76)
Hate (3)
Advanced Optics (4)

“Midnight” (43)
Predator (2)
Afterburners (6)

“Blackout” (63)
Predator (2)
Total: 199

Sad for 1 point can’t get trick shot on Blackout but I want AO Kylo and same PS.