Posted (edited)

I have been kicking this fleet list around. My idea is to use the ties and raider to knock out squadrons.  Then use the raider to attacking the ships, while the vsd slowly move up the battlefield and control a lot of real estate.  

Any thoughts?  Should I use more squadrons or get rid of the raider?

Vsd 3  (393/400)
Empire

Commander: Admiral Motti

Objectives: Solar Corona, Advanced Gunnery, Planetary Ion Cannon

[flagship] Victory II-class Star Destroyer (85)
 - Admiral Motti (24)
 - Disposable Capacitors (3)
 - Skilled First Officer (1)
 - Quad Battery Turrets (5)
= 118 total points

Victory II-class Star Destroyer (85)
= 94 total points

= 94 total points

Raider I-class Corvette (44)
 - Impetuous (4)
 - Flechette Torpedoes (3)
 - Ordnance Experts (4)
= 55 total points

Squadrons (32/134):
4x Tie Fighter Squadron (32)

Edited by Sobonis01

Kinda surprised you are going for Motti. Definitely not my first pick on a list like this, especially with 7 points left over.

Raider is fine... but your build for it is bad given you already have the considerable anti squadron power of 4 x tie fighters. Sure it makes you a tough nut for bomber heavy forces, but if you come up against a squadron-less force it's a bit dead weight. Consider switching it's title and torpedoes for a more aggressive ordnance option. It'll still be able to bust up fighters thanks to it's two black dice with re-rolls, but it'll also be a anti ship threat to force your opponents fire away from the VSDs or suffer.

Got it. What I’ll do is I’ll put on a ACMs and throw in Moff jerry.  That’ll leave me with eight points to bid with or another fighter, or Something else that I can’t put my finger on it.

Motti works really well with this type of list. 

I have found that if you are using QBTs you don't need to be doing a lot of fancy maneuvers. Just deploy the 3 together and go slow. Make your opponent come to you. 

Here's my list that I run for tripple vics

Assault: Opening Salvo
Defense: Planetary Ion Cannon
Navigation: Solar Corona

Victory II (85)
• Admiral Motti (24)
• Gunnery Team (7)
• Disposable Capacitors (3)
• Quad Battery Turrets (5)
• Leading Shots (4)
• Seventh Fleet Star Destroyer (5)
= 133 Points

Victory II (85)
• Gunnery Team (7)
• Leading Shots (4)
= 109 Points

Victory II (85)
• Gunnery Team (7)
• Leading Shots (4)
= 109 Points

Squadrons:
• 5 x TIE Fighter Squadron (40)
= 40 Points

Total Points: 391

Is the raider any good in my list?  I found it’s nice for anti squadron and then right before it dies, it Nukes another ship.

One of the problems I run into with my  list is dice manipulation.  Is it better to have more dice or be able to re roll them?

This is my new list, I think it will work abit better any thoughts?

Vsd 3  (398/400)
Empire

Objectives: Solar Corona, Advanced Gunnery, Planetary Ion Cannon

[flagship] Victory II-class Star Destroyer (85)
 - Admiral Motti (24)
 - Leading Shots (4)
= 121 total points

- Leading Shots (4)
= 97 total points

Raider I-class Corvette (44)
 - External Racks (3)
 - Ordnance Experts (4)
= 51 total points

- Leading Shots (4)
= 97 total points

Squadrons (32/134):
4x Tie Fighter Squadron (32)

Looks fine. Gunnery teams is a very useful upgrade when you can fire 3 red and 3 blue at long range. 

Swap the Raider for a Comms Net Gozanti and get 3 sets of GTs. Swith to Most Wanted for your red objective. 

This leaves you 5 extra points for 2 SFOs + Brunson on the flagship, or replace the TIEs with Valen, Ciena and Black Squadron. 

I have run a similar Motti list with 2 VSD-IIs with GT, LS, QBT, D-Caps and a VSD-I with QBTs, Boosted Comms, E-Rax and OE. The Cheaper VSD-I left me with lots of points for a decent squadron force that could protect me and bomb reasonably well (I set it to be mainly Combat Air Patrol rather than anti ship).

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RedDogReb said:

Isn't DCaps only applicable on the first shot?

So the second shot from front arc at a different target doesn't benefit from blue dice at long range

No the upgrade card says "...until the end of the round."

So when the new Salvo defence token lets you shoot back, the D-Caps can still be active that turn.

I wonder if VSDs can get Salvo some how...

Edited by Mad Cat

2 hours ago, Mad Cat said:

No the upgrade card says "...until the end of the round."

So when the new Salvo defence token lets you shoot back, the D-Caps can still be active that turn.

I wonder if VSDs can get Salvo some how...

I think I’ve been playing it wrong. Thank you!

I am abit new, what is so good about Gozantis? Also what makes Brunson so good defensively?  I would think Tua plus blast doors would be nice.   I get they can command squadrons but I would think the Raider would be better as it can do some damage to squadrons and ships?  Granted it’s lifespan is limited but the raider seems very nice.  However I could be wrong.  

7 hours ago, Sobonis01 said:

I am abit new, what is so good about Gozantis? Also what makes Brunson so good defensively?  I would think Tua plus blast doors would be nice.   I get they can command squadrons but I would think the Raider would be better as it can do some damage to squadrons and ships?  Granted it’s lifespan is limited but the raider seems very nice.  However I could be wrong.  

Welcome! The main reason for switching from a Raider to a Gozanti, as Mad Cat suggested above, is so that the player can add Gunnery Team to each VSD. Gunnery Team and Disposable Capacitors are essential upgrades for Victory-IIs, in my opinion, because the Victory's front arc is so wide that your opponent will(even Raddus) have a hard time avoiding it, and long range is significantly better than medium range. The Comms Net Gozanti is actually meant to pass tokens to the Victorys, not command squadrons.

Brunson prevents damage from happening in the first place, whereas Reinforced Blast Doors gets rid of damage cards after you get them. It's also an exhaust, not a discard. If you cancel one black hit/crit die once per turn for three turns straight, you've saved yourself six damage, not including critical effects like Assault Proton Torpedoes. Reinforced Blast Doors saves you three damage cards max. And let's face it, if your shieldless Victory is in the thick of some bombers and has one or two damage cards on it at the beginning of the turn, are you going to wait until next turn when you have three damage cards to use it? You probably shouldn't, because you might be dead before next turn. So you don't even always save three damage cards from RBD. It's not a bad card, but I think Brunson is better for the Victory. 

You have convinced me on Brunson good sir! I still have a question on Gozanti what does passing tokens to the victories do?  Is it just to pass nav tokens or squadrons tokens? 

1 hour ago, Sobonis01 said:

You have convinced me on Brunson good sir! I still have a question on Gozanti what does passing tokens to the victories do?  Is it just to pass nav tokens or squadrons tokens? 

Whatever you need it to do. Gives your Vics a little bit more versatility, concentrate fire tokens are nice if your maybe fishing for an accuracy or if a red turns up blank after leading shots. And a nav token is always handy!