JaxonEvans

Highground: X-Wing Scorekeeping App

A bit late - but earlier this week I released a new version that should save the previous list used by player 1 to memory, and automatically load that list when the app is opened. Next steps are working towards easily importing lists for Player 1, and then Player 2 (the methods will be different - XWS for Player 1, QR code for Player 2), and then saving multiple lists from memory so you can easily choose a list you have used in the past. 

Just used this at my league night last week. Worked like a charm, exactly as I hoped. Being able to scan an opponents QR code would be great, but even as is, I would continue to use this app. Thanks for all your hard work!

On 9/14/2019 at 11:55 PM, fantomenos said:

Just used this at my league night last week. Worked like a charm, exactly as I hoped. Being able to scan an opponents QR code would be great, but even as is, I would continue to use this app. Thanks for all your hard work!

Thanks, I appreciate it! 

Sorry for the radio silence over the last while.

I’ve been working on a side project that has prevented me from dedicating any time to other work. However, that is complete, so I have a new version of Highground released.

The app has a few performance improvements which should further increase battery life, and addresses the issue with iOS closing the app when it is in the background. Unfortunately I can’t do anything to stop iOS or Android from closing the app in the background - but now when that happens the app will maintain the previous game state and when you open it back up your game will still be there.

This changes touches a lot of different places in the app, so there is a lot of potential for bugs related to it. I’ve tested it as much as I can, but the only real way to know if there are issues from it is to get it into people’s hands. If you have an issue please let me know as quickly as you can.

Which brings me to my second announcement: I’ve been getting ready to add QR Code Support and XWS importability for lists, but there is one complication - I don’t feel comfortable building and rolling out those features without beta testers for the app. I have been planning to create a Patreon for the app and add in app rewards, but was originally going to wait until a few other features were done. I wanted access to beta testing to be a reward for the first 15 people to sign up for Patreon on each platform (iOS/Android). So I decided to move that timeline up.

I’m trying to keep the Patreon rewards light so that I can spend most of my time actually working on the app instead of dealing with rewards. That said all I am planning right now (and based on how much support the page gets, this might change) is custom in app colors, and a quarterly prize drawing for my supporters.

I’ve been trying to figure out how to monetize this app, and I am averse to both ads/charging for it. I want to keep it free. If you appreciate this app enough to send a few dollars my way, it would be much appreciated. I’ve put a lot of time into it, and although it is definitely a labor of love, it would be super great to also make some money on it, even if it isn’t as much as I would make on a fully monetized product.

The next app version will have a link to the Patreon page in the game settings panel.

Only other note on Patreon is that I am still playing with different shades of color for the lower two tiers, so those may slightly change.

Discord server: https://discord.gg/GkDxsZb
Twitter: https://twitter.com/HighgroundX

Edited by JaxonEvans