Sign in to follow this  
TrooperTK422

N-1 Anakin's "non-action" barrel-roll

For reference, Anakin's ability: Before you reveal your maneuver, you may spend 1 force to barrel roll (this is not an action). 

And here's the line from the RRG on failing a barrel roll: 
• While attempting to place a ship to complete a barrel roll, the action can fail if any of the following occurs:
◊ All three positions would cause the ship to overlap another ship.
◊ All three positions would cause the ship to overlap or move through an obstacle.
◊ All three positions would cause the ship to be outside the play area (and therefore would cause that ship to flee).

So, is it possible for Anakin to perform his non-action barrel roll (aka Spin) to barrel roll onto or through an obstacle? Is it possible to fail something that expressly isn't an action?

I would say no, Anakin cannot barrel roll onto or through an obstacle.

I'll openly acknowledge, however, that the text of the rules is... frankly... poor.

The sections on barrel rolls or boosts, for example, refer only to the *action* failing.  Boost is a hair better, since it clearly separates the action (symbol) from the effect (word), but it's not as good as it could be, because it isn't explicit that the effect and not just the action can fail.

However the Fail rule states that "A ship can fail when it barrel rolls, boosts, coordinates, decloaks, deploys, jams, locks, or SLAMs." Noteworthy, this rule uses the words not symbols, which means the *effects* and not the *actions* are what fails.  Likewise, Decloaking can fail if the boost or barrel roll fails.

Additionally, the Tractor rule specifically spells out that the boosts and barrel rolls from tractor tokens can move a ship onto or through an obstacle. 

Posted (edited)

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking, but I was curious to see if it was just me. I'm pretty sure the intent is that they just want you to be able to barrel roll twice in a turn, but it'd be nice if they could muster enough mastery over the english language and technical writing skills to make that intent more clear.

Edited by TrooperTK422

6 minutes ago, TrooperTK422 said:

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking, but I was curious to see if it was just me. I'm pretty sure the intent is that they just want you to be able to barrel roll twice in a turn, but it'd be nice if they could muster enough mastery over the english language and technical writing skills to make that intent more clear.

I mean, the issue isn't the text on Anakin.

The Rules Reference--overall--needed to be a bit more precise.  A few of the actions draw a clear distinction between the action and effect, not all do, and it's spurred a few debates.

33 minutes ago, Stoneface said:

@Spaceinvader, given that this is a non-action, could Anakin execute two barrel rolls in one turn?

Yes, Anakin (N-1 pilot) can execute both his pilot ability Barrel Roll and a Barrel Roll Action in the same turn for a total of two Barrel Rolls. With advanced sensors he could in fact Barrel Roll twice before moving!

(Anakin ability before revealing maneuver and Advanced Sensors action after revealing dial)

28 minutes ago, Rettere said:

A tractor beam barrel roll can put you on a rock so why can’t Anakin?

Because tactor tokens have a specific exception to the normal rules for barrel rolls, which anakin does not.    Anakin's non-action roll still uses the normal barrel roll rules.  Like Decloak.