Sign in to follow this  
Antimarkovnikov

Is there a dearth of news?

Lately I've been feeling like we've been short of news on the upcoming releases.  So I went back and looked at the lead-up to The Circle Undone to see if I was just going crazy or if we were actually dealing with a lack of news.

• We got our second article about The Circle Undone 60 days after it was announced.  We're only on day 53 since the announcement of The Dream Eaters.  And we've already gotten a video preview of one of the investigators.
  • We already had two Mythos packs announced at this point.  Instead we've had two Standalone scenarios announced recently.
  • The second article about Return to Dunwich and Return to Carcosa were 84 and 82 days after their announcement

ahc31_preview1.png

So, as it turns out... I am going crazy and we are having a reasonable amount of news right now.  After the second article the frequency of the news certainly increased... So give it a week or two and we should be drowning in news about Arkham.

Its GenCon time and FFG drops a big seminar on upcoming products.  They probably have their resources concerned about that and not what is immediately dropping currently.  This tends to happen around this time of year a lot. 

It seems reasonable that the focus of the marketing department moves from web articles to the FFG In-flight report and industry meetings at Gen Con.

A fairer comparison might be to look back at how news was coming out before Path to Carcosa to see if that was disrupted by Gen Con.

Plus there has been a shift around in staff with internal promotions to and from the marketing department.

They are probably busy getting ready to unveil TheNextBigThing TM right?

3 hours ago, ArkhamChronicle said:

A fairer comparison might be to look back at how news was coming out before Path to Carcosa to see if that was disrupted by Gen Con.

The time before Path to Carcosa is a bit muddled because they had that big leak. 

Should be noted that Path To Carcosa was announced in April, so they did announce some mythos packs, but July was all about the impending release of the deluxe box, which would be at GenCon.  

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, ArkhamChronicle said:

It seems reasonable that the focus of the marketing department moves from web articles to the FFG In-flight report and industry meetings at Gen Con.

In the end of live stream it was explicitly stated that there won't be any news during the In-Flight report.

As far as the comparison goes... I ran the numbers... Made a spreadsheet.  I may be quite bored today.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mKksgOrM6m0DztxNQCmvd0B1LDR7lK32h2J7gj3aPAs/edit?usp=sharing

crazy-charlie.jpg

Announce to Release
The deluxe expansions have been released on average 121.25 days after they were announced.  The fastest was The Forgotten Age at 99 days and the slowest was The Path to Carcosa at 150 days. This would put The Dream-Eaters as releasing on October 2nd. (At FA pace it would be released on September 10th and at PC pace it would be released on October 31st)

Time to Second Article
The second article has on average been released 64.25 days after the announcement.  The quickest once more was The Forgotten Age at 44 days and the slowest was The Path to Carcosa at 86 days.  This would put The Dream- Eaters second article at August 6th. (At FA pace it would be released on July 17th and at PC pace it would be released on August 28th.)

Pace After Second Article
After the second article is released for all the deluxe expansions the pace of articles increases dramatically. Averaging one every two weeks until the expansion is released.  (12.8 precisely)  Although this varied quite a bit.  Between one per week and about one every other. 

Decline in articles
There really hasn't been a decline in articles for the deluxe expansions (6-7) or the stand-alones (2). The last thing I noticed was the slow decrease in articles for the Mythos packs.  They started out getting three articles per pack. After the first Path to Carcosa pack it dropped to two per.  And now it's dropped to one per with a now available article. (Which the last Circle Undone Mythos pack didn't even get.)

ahc38_art_mr-trombly.png

To wrap it up...  We seem to be right on schedule for The Dream-Eaters.  In fact we're a bit ahead thanks to the live stream revealing Tony Morgan already.  However, the Mythos packs have been getting a decreasing number of articles.  Starting with dropping to only two articles and now down to essentially one or none.  I have mixed feelings about this.  I like that it's spoiling the packs less by having less articles.  But I really miss the extra art we got to see when there were at least two articles per mythos pack.  This whole thing was an interesting waste of a morning.  I hope you guys find this as interesting as I do.

Edited by Antimarkovnikov

On 7/27/2019 at 4:25 PM, Antimarkovnikov said:

Decline in articles
There really hasn't been a decline in articles for the deluxe expansions (6-7) or the stand-alones (2). The last thing I noticed was the slow decrease in articles for the Mythos packs.  They started out getting three articles per pack. After the first Path to Carcosa pack it dropped to two per.  And now it's dropped to one per with a now available article. (Which the last Circle Undone Mythos pack didn't even get.)

ahc38_art_mr-trombly.png

To wrap it up...  We seem to be right on schedule for The Dream-Eaters.  In fact we're a bit ahead thanks to the live stream revealing Tony Morgan already.  However, the Mythos packs have been getting a decreasing number of articles.  Starting with dropping to only two articles and now down to essentially one or none.  I have mixed feelings about this.  I like that it's spoiling the packs less by having less articles.  But I really miss the extra art we got to see when there were at least two articles per mythos pack.  This whole thing was an interesting waste of a morning.  I hope you guys find this as interesting as I do.

I have an answer to this: the increase in the number of cards that podcasts have been given to reveal to the community. At first, it was just Storm of Spirits and Time Warp from the Path to Carcosa that Drawn to the Flame revealed, but then in Forgotten Age, we got far more, and were told that FFG Marketing was changing tack and wanted to involved community commentators more in announcing cards. During The Circle Undone, Drawn to the Flame *and* Mythos Busters have each had a card per pack to announce - so we've seen 3-4 cards in the first announcement article, and then another 2 from community commenters, rather than a second article. 

So, a little explanation, I guess. Peter and I have always suggested we were keen to announce more cards for FFG, but never pitched a regular slot to do it, but Marketing I think wanted to try something new. 

I think it's a better solution toward building hype anyway since it fosters an environment of inclusion with your fanbase. 

What's weird though is someone should tell FFG that they already released Before The Black Throne.  Not only did we get no release article, but the upcoming page thinks they are still developing it.   I'm guessing Gencon messed up their marketing pipeline.

29 minutes ago, phillos said:

What's weird though is someone should tell FFG that they already released Before The Black Throne.  Not only did we get no release article, but the upcoming page thinks they are still developing it.   I'm guessing Gencon messed up their marketing pipeline.

Or maybe Azathoth devoured causality, letting us buy his product before it was developed.

2 hours ago, ArkhamChronicle said:

It doesn't rain it pours.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/8/5/empire-of-the-dead/

And we'll probably start getting more articles per week now that we're getting closer to the release of The Dream-Eaters and Arkham Nights.

Since AH LCG is a solo coop LCG, this kind of competitive “new” news is irrelevant.

I played 64 games of AH LCG and I am into the 3rd adventure of the Carcossa cycle. We went just after some actors in 4 player mode... and my last 3 games were run solo with Skids OToole in the first 3 adventures ... of the basic box.

I have ALL expansions, ALL books but I did not open the last cycle yet while playing over the last 2.5 years.

In LotR it is even worse. I played many more than 100 games and still did not pass Kazad Dûm with dozens of decks. I have all SAGA expansions and all others up to the Dream cycle...

tldr: these solo/coop games are endless and they will not “finish” because of production stops - like competitive LCG/CCG’s.

Just enjoy the endless rides.