Cloaker

What's Wrong With X-Wing; The Miniatures Game?

whats wrong.. cluster bumping at the merge is tedious if you are playing with one of those ADD types that insists on marking everything. although i have no clue how to fix that.lol 

On 7/27/2019 at 8:55 PM, Tvboy said:

When nobody's complaining, it means people have stopped caring and the game is dead. 

Nah i STILL complain about STAW....

Posted (edited)

X-Wing now is not good for me because:

-most of my friends refused to convert from 1.0 and rather stopped playing

-our local competetive community plays in the same day of the week as we have gaming nights of other games with my group

-when I will buy two more Conversion Kits to fly all 9 of my T-70 X-Wings, I will have 9 dials for Bomber and Falcon of which I only have 1

X-Wing now is awesome because:

-the segregation of factions mean I can fight pure First Order with my Resistance.

-I will get Resistance ship card for my Rebel Transport.

-I see a lot of Star Wars movie characters and ships on the tables

Edited by Jiron

9 hours ago, Swedge said:

whats wrong.. cluster bumping at the merge is tedious if you are playing with one of those ADD types that insists on marking everything. although i have no clue how to fix that.lol 

Nah i STILL complain about STAW....

Then STAW(?) is still alive, because it lives on in your heart....

12 hours ago, william1134 said:

I think the worst part of V2 is just how terrible the official app is and how we hear NOTHING from the developers with regards to bug fixing or even saying that they hear us.

This is a free app + web page that the devs have to absorb as upfront cost and continue to pay for every update. 

There's no way around it; the official squad builder will update as slow or fast as waves are released and product is purchased. 

Any other "emergency" updates are icing on the cake and not to be expected. 

Free?  We pay for it as part of us buying the minis, of which the price went UP by a significant amount for version 2.

Also all the other squad builders manage to do just fine and for FREE. I am pretty sure they are all very small operations in comparison to the resources that FFG have.

How about this as an emergency, currently the points do not total up. In the build it may say 188 points but then on the menu screen that holds all of your lists it will give a different number.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Bucknife said:

This is a free app + web page that the devs have to absorb as upfront cost and continue to pay for every update. 

There's no way around it; the official squad builder will update as slow or fast as waves are released and product is purchased. 

This is a service they provide with selling their product. This is a service they advertised TO sell their product. It's lacks basic UI functionality and a seeming lack of user research or modeling. To @Koing907's point, list building without 3rd party squad building would be so incredibly unwieldy.

To be clear we pay for the squad builder as part of the cost of purchasing the game and components, since they went to a variable point format that basically requires it. Usability improvements should be expected based on community feedback, but I don't foresee them occurring anytime soon.

Edited by dsul413

I’d point out the fact that you can go with PDF/printout. Our gaming spot is in underground without internet access so I occationally use the printouts to bash lists together.

- Gas clouds are as much of a failure of design as TLT was and have actively damaged the game; like a pebble of excrement in a bowl of cocoa puffs 

- Games going to time is because a bunch of new players joined the game with 2.0 and they play at the pace of 40k. Not bad, but they need to realize that this isn't a 2.5 hour wargame

- Inferno Swarm is the NPE king of 2.0. It is both not fun to play and not fun to play against. Iden, Howl, and Gas Clouds just make it very sodium inducing. 

- 5 and 6 ship lists actually don't make for an interesting meta, as most of the top games devolve into 5/6 turns of gameplay because 11+ dials takes some time to play and execute. 

- Invite only worlds makes for incredibly stressful hyperspace trials, as every single misplay or wrong decision can result in you not going to worlds. Holy $#@$ FFG, just sell tickets to worlds, let anyone who want to go go, and just print your money. Who thought restricting paying customers to an event at their headquarters would be a good idea? Just rent a bigger space lmao

What's good:

- Vader and Anakin are neck and neck for the title of "best single pilot in the game", which is a massive thematic win on FFG's part. The best star fighter pilot in the galaxy should be the best pilot in the game.

- There are a lot more valid ways to play the game; at least until the next broken combo get's figured out. Fat turrets, 2 ship lists, double ace lists, jousters, salads, beef, and swarm are all completely competitive ways to play the game. Players with all sorts of different preferences can fly what they enjoy and still have a chance.

2 hours ago, ThinkingB said:

- Gas clouds are as much of a failure of design as TLT was and have actively damaged the game; like a pebble of excrement in a bowl of cocoa puffs 

- Games going to time is because a bunch of new players joined the game with 2.0 and they play at the pace of 40k. Not bad, but they need to realize that this isn't a 2.5 hour wargame

- Inferno Swarm is the NPE king of 2.0. It is both not fun to play and not fun to play against. Iden, Howl, and Gas Clouds just make it very sodium inducing. 

- 5 and 6 ship lists actually don't make for an interesting meta, as most of the top games devolve into 5/6 turns of gameplay because 11+ dials takes some time to play and execute. 

- Invite only worlds makes for incredibly stressful hyperspace trials, as every single misplay or wrong decision can result in you not going to worlds. Holy $#@$ FFG, just sell tickets to worlds, let anyone who want to go go, and just print your money. Who thought restricting paying customers to an event at their headquarters would be a good idea? Just rent a bigger space lmao

What's good:

- Vader and Anakin are neck and neck for the title of "best single pilot in the game", which is a massive thematic win on FFG's part. The best star fighter pilot in the galaxy should be the best pilot in the game.

- There are a lot more valid ways to play the game; at least until the next broken combo get's figured out. Fat turrets, 2 ship lists, double ace lists, jousters, salads, beef, and swarm are all completely competitive ways to play the game. Players with all sorts of different preferences can fly what they enjoy and still have a chance.

Sorry, but I’ll strongly disagree. What’s more Star Wars than 6 or 8 Tie Fighters on the board. Just because they aren’t fun for you to play as/against these lists doesn’t mean that there aren’t those of us who love playing them or against them. It’s also odd that you contradict yourself in the last line and even mention Swarm being competitive and people could bring what they want.

40 minutes ago, Vykk Draygo said:

Sorry, but I’ll strongly disagree. What’s more Star Wars than 6 or 8 Tie Fighters on the board. Just because they aren’t fun for you to play as/against these lists doesn’t mean that there aren’t those of us who love playing them or against them. It’s also odd that you contradict yourself in the last line and even mention Swarm being competitive and people could bring what they want.

I mean... kissing your sister and getting your arm cut off are "Star Wars" and I wouldn't like those in the game either.

It's sort of like why epic was unpopular with the majority of X-Wing players in 1.0. It wasn't because it wasn't "Star Wars"; it's because the game does not scale well with a higher number of ships, which is why they're basically redoing epic as we speak. 6+ ships turns the game from dog-fighting into accidental bumping, marking, 15 minute rounds, ignoring obstacles (because Gas), and un-concluded matches where the wins are essentially just a matter of who got half points on something before time is called.

I'm sure people also enjoyed 100 pt Miranda, but I still think its awful and glad its gone because it wasn't dog-fighting. Tie Swarm is dog-fighting in the movies, but on the board, it's just pushing a sharp cornered blob around while your opponent sits and waits.

19 minutes ago, ThinkingB said:

I mean... kissing your sister and getting your arm cut off are "Star Wars" and I wouldn't like those in the game either.

It's sort of like why epic was unpopular with the majority of X-Wing players in 1.0. It wasn't because it wasn't "Star Wars"; it's because the game does not scale well with a higher number of ships, which is why they're basically redoing epic as we speak. 6+ ships turns the game from dog-fighting into accidental bumping, marking, 15 minute rounds, ignoring obstacles (because Gas), and un-concluded matches where the wins are essentially just a matter of who got half points on something before time is called.

I'm sure people also enjoyed 100 pt Miranda, but I still think its awful and glad its gone because it wasn't dog-fighting. Tie Swarm is dog-fighting in the movies, but on the board, it's just pushing a sharp cornered blob around while your opponent sits and waits.

Well, that’s kind like your opinion man. 😆

sounds like you may not like the game. And Tie Swarm is not a big block, my Swarms, and most I’ve seen actually swarm. If they fly at you in a big blob then that really should make it relatively easy for you to shoot them like fish in a barrel.  

😈 Bad Cloaker.  When I saw the topic, and started reading I was thinking to myself... man, stop complaining and focus on the + stuff. And then you did.  So I'm happy now.    :) 

So for me:

+ It still is one of the more fun board/mini games to play. Especially if you don't have hours to spend.

+ My 6yo daughter is starting to play with me. (Although she pretty much still flies to where my ships are instead of where they can be after I move. )

+ New releases + point adjustments means the game dynamics keep changing.  

+ Different lists making the cut for tournaments. There is nothing as depressing as seeing 5 or 6 out of the top 8 in any given tournament/game playing identical things.  Sure, there are still the "best" net-lists, and there are still duplicates for sure. But there is also a lot of variety.

+ Huge Ships / Epic incoming!

+ Card packs!  (Yeah, it might not be all we dreamed it would be, but at least its a start)

+ More robots!!! IG-88 is still my favourite ship to play. And now there are a bunch of little bro's. Unfortunately a completely separate faction, but still.  

+ Scum shenanigans are still alive. It's not competitive, but fun.  We can still string along multiple seemingly useless abilities to gain one semi-decent once in a planet alignment effect... that does about as much in the end as one decent ship from a different faction. But when it works its much more satisfying. 

But on the down

- Illicit card I can't use in my scum list.  Really??  Yeah, its my goto complaint of the day. :P

9 hours ago, Bort said:

😈

But on the down

- Illicit card I can't use in my scum list.  Really??  Yeah, its my goto complaint of the day. :P

》》this. Illicits should be scum only. Two other factions get them. Takes a bit away from scum as a unique faction. 

Having an illicit scum cant use is just wrong. Poor form ffg.

Why dont we see a scum only force upgrade... Asajj could use it... republic jedi could not... seems fair... right?

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

》》this. Illicits should be scum only. Two other factions get them. Takes a bit away from scum as a unique faction. 

Having an illicit scum cant use is just wrong. Poor form ffg.

Why dont we see a scum only force upgrade... Asajj could use it... republic jedi could not... seems fair... right?

Well, I am not a fan of illicit Fireball either and definitely not a fan of the Hyperfuel as it is. But I've got to say, the Saw's Renegades getting an Illicit slot is probably the best way to reflect the "shady terrorist rebellion" fame they've accumulated. 

Edited by Ryfterek

On 7/30/2019 at 6:18 PM, william1134 said:

Free?  We pay for it as part of us buying the minis, of which the price went UP by a significant amount for version 2.

Also all the other squad builders manage to do just fine and for FREE. I am pretty sure they are all very small operations in comparison to the resources that FFG have.

How about this as an emergency, currently the points do not total up. In the build it may say 188 points but then on the menu screen that holds all of your lists it will give a different number.

Have you even used the app?  Yeah, when it first released it had some issues, but it's perfectly usable now.  Just because it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of some 3rd-party apps doesn't make it broken.

On 7/31/2019 at 12:17 PM, ThinkingB said:

Is it really reasonable to expect new players to play as quickly as those who have played for years?

On 8/2/2019 at 7:02 AM, Bort said:

+ Scum shenanigans are still alive.

I'd list that as a con rather than a pro, but I agree with the rest.

On 7/30/2019 at 6:16 PM, Bucknife said:

haha if the company has no integrity then sure.  FFGs ceo and officers are getting bonuses 100 times the cost of maintaining the app, literally. look it up. The company is raking in Billions and mantaining the app only requires a handful of employees, or possibly a single person.

there is no business excuse to fail this badly in the execution of the app, its basically a spread sheet interface. they simply dont care enough to do it correctly

1 hour ago, JJ48 said:

Have you even used the app?  Yeah, when it first released it had some issues, but it's perfectly usable now.  Just because it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of some 3rd-party apps doesn't make it broken.

Is it really reasonable to expect new players to play as quickly as those who have played for years?

I'd list that as a con rather than a pro, but I agree with the rest.

Haha yes. In fact I am the only player at my club who does use it. Everybody else uses launchbay.

I am not sure if you understood what I wrote but my problem with the app is the points discrepancy.

7 minutes ago, william1134 said:

Haha yes. In fact I am the only player at my club who does use it. Everybody else uses launchbay.

I am not sure if you understood what I wrote but my problem with the app is the points discrepancy.

I haven't noticed any discrepancies.  How do you replicate the issue?

4 minutes ago, william1134 said:

It was fixed a few days ago but had been there since the June update.  Check out the bugs threads if you want to see what it looked like. (Effected old saved lists only)

Actually at the beginning of that update, when you saved a new list it showed old points in the saved screen as well. You had to open the list to see the proper points. There have been many, many issues with the app, but it’s functional now. It seems each update brings many new issues, but they’ve straightened  them out in a decent amount of time. 

I've found I can abide the official app quite happily, simply because the third party apps mean I don't have to use it.  I'd be more salty about its problems if I had no choice, but with choice the bugs become a curiosity and fun meme rather than something to rant about.

Having worked on software teams that never ever have enough time for everything on their plate, I can see how they've gotten into this situation.  They do need to do a better job (and probably need more support from their bosses), but at least they're improving.

I use the official app because I like to make my lists on the computer and have it sync to the phone. As long as they can ensure the app is bug free or fixes are applied quickly then I don't really have any problems with V2. Much better than v1 for sure.

Something that has bothered me is some factions have too many hinky toys to play with. It seems to me I could make a great move ending with a great engagement only for the opponent to pull something out of their *** to negate everything without rolling one defense die. Lined up a brilliant advanced proton torpedo attack and rolled two crits and three hits. My opponent laughed and told me that was a great roll but I attacked the wrong ship because it can suffer only one damage when stressed. This has happened many times and it gets frustrating.

5 minutes ago, Cav Scout said:

Something that has bothered me is some factions have too many hinky toys to play with. It seems to me I could make a great move ending with a great engagement only for the opponent to pull something out of their *** to negate everything without rolling one defense die. Lined up a brilliant advanced proton torpedo attack and rolled two crits and three hits. My opponent laughed and told me that was a great roll but I attacked the wrong ship because it can suffer only one damage when stressed. This has happened many times and it gets frustrating.

? I know of no ability in 2.0 that does that. I could be wrong, but I think you got scammed...