Cloaker

What's Wrong With X-Wing; The Miniatures Game?

Posted (edited)

Well, there's

The Great Hyperspace OOP New Player Slumber Party Massacre

Moar Games Going To Time I Need Closure!

Don't Touch My Components Bro Imma Get Sick

Slow Play, Take It Easy, The Rhythm Ain't Right

Force Users / Gas Clouds / Leia / Rewards Poor Play Decisions Like Totally

(Insert Complaint About Scum Faction or Ship Unplayability Here)

Dude, Where's My Wave 4?

They'll Always Be Mynock To Me, To Hoth With Your IP Infringement Threats

This Game Don't Even Rank Top 3 Anymore In Sales It Ded

Oh Look There's Another Douchetool Asking $50 For A Gunboat

That Guy Still Flying 4 TIE Phantoms

All these Collections For Sale In The Facebook Groups Not Good Man Not Good

Why Is ____________ Only Available In ____________?

Epic= TL;DR

Dear FFG App, How I Hate Thee

and.... so.... much.... else.  I'm as guilty as anyone. And It's time to let go of that ol' dark side and spotlight....

...WHAT'S RIGHT WITH X-WING; THE MINIATURES GAME

--More Effective Core Game Rebalancing Done In 2019 Than The Entire 4+ year Lifespan Of 1.0

--6 Freakin' Waves To be Released Within The First 15 months

--More FLGS Goodies and Giveaways Than You Can Shake A Gaffi Stick At

--Dion Morales' Frequent Flyer Account 

--They Got Icons Back In The Game

--The Beautiful Minimalism of That Alt Art Proton Rockets 

--Ficklegreendice is way cuddlier lately AMIRITE?

--Groundbreaking Official Play Modes Missions & Epic Incoming

--Diverse Lists And Many Factions Winning OP Events 

--Two Words; Articulated. B-Wings.

--I Had A Fun Game Vs. A Nice Krayt Who Kindly Apologized To Me A Day Later For Misplaying A Card Mechanic Even Though He Still Totally Outflew Me And Would Have Won And I Deserved To Be Ridiculed For Not Vetting His List More Thoroughly

--The New Factions Have Brought In New Players

--CARD PACKS!!!

--I Have Met More Cool New People Playing This Game In The Community of 3 Cities Over The Last Year Than All Other Games I've Ever Played Publicly Combined

--A wealth of fresh upcoming media to provide exciting future options (New Films, Disney TV Shows, etc.)

--This Forum Is Better Than Reddit

--We've Barely Begun

That's what I got so far. Feel free to add your own. It's gonna all be alright. Thanks for hearing me out. I'm going to go fly my Jammy Serissu/Nym Dorsal IG crew/Talonbane/Teroch list this weekend and enjoy the **** out of it. 

Edited by Cloaker

Posted (edited)

+Getting to fly tiny plastic Star Wars ships around a table.

+The freaking awesome cinematic moments I picture in my mind as Obi-Wan flies through and around all the asteroids on the board dodging 4+ Vulture droid arcs.

+Having my oldest son ask me almost daily if we can play X-Wing.

+Watching GSP learning how to play better from the top players in the world.

+Watching GSP learning how to paint miniatures.

+All the awesome players at my FLGS, like @Wazat. And getting to know people's situations a bit more as they share small details of their lives.

+All the great content being created by community members - acrylics, accessories, art, podcasts, apps, data

-Where is Tycho?

-People never wanting to see certain pilots/ships on the table again.

-People becoming outraged that something related to Star Wars isn't exactly how they think it should be.

Edited by Skitch_

If we're not complaining about something, the game has gone too stale to care about.

I'll take the complaints over a dead game.

Having said that:

Can we please do something with gas clouds & strain?

• Strain is so underused in my circle that no one seems to know how it works.
  • Make gas clouds mean something besides a free evade on blanks. If you gained a strain from overlapping or moving through one I could respect it more.

That's all I got.

Tournaments I guess

I think the same thing that plagues X-wing is the same thing that plagues a lot of popular games that pits player vs player, that is the demand to make the game completive. 

A lot of people look and critique a game only at the metastate and they do not look at the games underlying mechanics. These pros demand that the game focuses on skill and by skill it is the way to copy their preferred playstyle and refine it in a way that they can copy those tricks as well to improve their chance on winning. however these players never take the time to look "under the hood" and figure out why one weapon or one character is doing better than the others. They can take all the post game data nd crunch the statistics to point out which is the best items in game, but can't answer what makes it the best and why. 

There is also the presumption that the game and all game matches are won or lost on the skill of that player ignoring the fact that the outcome of combat is determined by a random chance or that certain tools like bullet magnetism making your aim not requiring pixel perfect precision in order to score a headshot. Not saying that these tournament level matches could be won by anyone who just happens to be lucky, most tournament winners have to understand the best winning builds and a good understanding on the game mechanics. But often payers take a win as some sort of conformation bias to validate theirs (or their favorite player's) level ok skill and disregard the other factors.

12 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

Tournaments I guess

I think the same thing that plagues X-wing is the same thing that plagues a lot of popular games that pits player vs player, that is the demand to make the game completive. 

A lot of people look and critique a game only at the metastate and they do not look at the games underlying mechanics. These pros demand that the game focuses on skill and by skill it is the way to copy their preferred playstyle and refine it in a way that they can copy those tricks as well to improve their chance on winning. however these players never take the time to look "under the hood" and figure out why one weapon or one character is doing better than the others. They can take all the post game data nd crunch the statistics to point out which is the best items in game, but can't answer what makes it the best and why. 

There is also the presumption that the game and all game matches are won or lost on the skill of that player ignoring the fact that the outcome of combat is determined by a random chance or that certain tools like bullet magnetism making your aim not requiring pixel perfect precision in order to score a headshot. Not saying that these tournament level matches could be won by anyone who just happens to be lucky, most tournament winners have to understand the best winning builds and a good understanding on the game mechanics. But often payers take a win as some sort of conformation bias to validate theirs (or their favorite player's) level ok skill and disregard the other factors.

Brother, you're hitting some tremendously valid points. Spot on about the competitive groupthink. 

I've been trying to approach the game from some new perspectives. My goal right now is to play the heck out of one super thematic list, and the other in a faction that is considered underdog (scum) to tinker and not be disappointed if they crash and burn. Working better for me lately.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hargleblarg said:

I think he's sharing a beer with Carnor Jax and Thweek

To be fair, I believe that all three of them were held of for...  reasons.  Carnor Jax was probably viewed as a potential problem with the game becoming much more limited on actions.  Likewise Tycho ignoring Stress for actions probably gave them pause with the new A-Wings, and prompted them to do some test-playing.  And let’s be real here for a second...  Thweek would be absurdly good if he was just brought over to v2 with no changes to his ability.  

I’m willing to bet we’ll see them again, just probably with some thweeks to their pilot abilities.

Edited by It’s One Of Ours

On 7/26/2019 at 9:19 PM, ficklegreendice said:

Easily the worst thing about Xwing is not having time to play :(

This.

Although I'm quite looking forward to nearly a full week of pewpew in Krakow shortly.

30 minutes ago, Fippo said:

- How Ffg handles points adjustment. It feels more like they are punishing dominate lists, rather than try to find balance. Which also seems true for chassis/lists that were sucessfull in 1st edition. 

Its pushing me away from the game, knowing that next update will be at the end of the year. 

Well that is the easiest pitfall with an adjustable point mechanic being more of a reactive tool than a proactive tool. They know certain pilots/upgrades are doing very well, so much that they happen to make up more than half of the meta, that means there is a good chance (not a certainty of) that pilot/upgrade may not have a high enough point cost as it should. So the next update becomes an overcorrection and well now the said pilot upgrade is no longer that present in the meta but it is still not costed at the right points for the value.

2 hours ago, Fippo said:

- How Ffg handles points adjustment. It feels more like they are punishing dominate lists, rather than try to find balance. Which also seems true for chassis/lists that were sucessfull in 1st edition. 

Its pushing me away from the game, knowing that next update will be at the end of the year. 

This is faction specific but as a single faction player I can totally relate to this. I guess those players who have the ability to switch between factions can avoid making hard choices with their squads in a certain faction and jump into another. 

26 minutes ago, JBFancourt said:

-The cascading point adjustments. Was Rebel Beef REALLY a 230 point build??? Old Boba, Han gunner, etc??? Maybe worth 210, not 230. 

+The point adjustments makes it feel new!

Heavy handed with han gunner for sure. Marauder, Boba and Han Gunner all going up at first point changes was too much. Just hitting Han gunner would have been enough. 

There are several absolutes that have been immutably so for a long time, even before I was born:

• Adding 1 and 1 makes 2
  • Politics will be awful to discuss at Thanksgiving, or anywhere
  • People will complain about Star Wars

Complaining doesn't mean the game is bad.  The fact that people devote massive chunks of their lives to complaining about Star Wars movies, lore, this game, etc is because it still occupies an appreciable part of their mind or soul.  As said above, it's better to hear (and generally ignore) complaints than to have a dead community that's eerily quiet.  The 1.0 wiki is very quiet, because almost no one is there ever.  2.0 is raucous, exuberant, salty, and dynamic... and that's where we want it.  We can ignore the salt as long as it's only a small part of the community.

Some people will salt themselves out of the game and that's fine -- I've seen it happen and we were sad to lose them, but we moved on.  As long as we're bringing in new people to replace them or especially grow the community, the game remains healthy.  The game dies if the community becomes so toxic that no one wants to join or stick around.  That's what's important to watch out for.  I've watched games die because the community was awful and drove everyone but the toxic players away; or because it pandered so much to the "pro" players that no newbies or casuals wanted to try to stick around (thus reducing it to a minute community of pros that couldn't grow as much as it shrank); or the game became stagnant and its strategy was "solved", meaning there was nothing new to explore.

In contrast, I think X-Wing 2.0 is in a really good place.

I think part of the collections up for sale was people consolidating their collections. Im going to sell my first order and resistance. But keeping rebels, imperials and republic.