Hiemfire

@FFG Please lock this thread.

Setting aside my own popcorn in this thread for a moment. Given the number of questions we see in the rules forum where it seems like FFG didn't think through the full implications of the text, it seems very likely this is a another case of that. I would wager it's probably correct that the FFG was only thinking about the aggressive behavior when they wrote the rule. And given the highly political nature of the issue, I think it's highly unlikely that we are going to see any kind of clarification about whether legally carried concealed weapons were meant to be covered or not. Which sadly is going to leave this in the hands of the people running the events and venues where they are held until something happens or there is a enough community outcry to get them to issue a clarification.

That said if they do issue a clarification I would wager it's likely going to be carrying a concealed weapon is a disqualifying offense at their events. While the issue may be split in the US as whole, in individual cities it tends to be one-sided (cities tend to have stronger anti-gun laws on average), and for their global consumer base it's probably also pretty one sided. So for those in favor of concealed carry, it would probably be wise to drop it. FFG has no incentive to come down on either side of a political issue unless forced too, but if they are, it's probably going to be whatever side favors their bottom line.

3 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

There is allot of CYA wording in some sections (one section reads like a generic SJW list of aggrievements). The best thing to do is respect the wishes of the private party that controls the event you're attending. What you choose to do though is up to you.

Personally, what I plan to do is precisely what I've always done:  avoid going to tournaments simply because I don't find organized play to be fun.

But yes, those who do plan to attend should absolutely either follow all rules to the best of their abilities or stay away from tournaments if they feel they can't follow the rules.

47 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Personally, what I plan to do is precisely what I've always done:  avoid going to tournaments simply because I don't find organized play to be fun.

But yes, those who do plan to attend should absolutely either follow all rules to the best of their abilities or stay away from tournaments if they feel they can't follow the rules.

Count me as one of the people that actually does go to tournaments regularly and is affected by these rules and is happier that FFG has chosen not to condone the presence of weapons, deadly or otherwise, at their events. And honestly, unless there's a game store out there that uses patdowns or metal detectors on every customer, somebody who's hiding a gun under their trenchcoat is gonna bring it into the game store and just not tell anyone about it and nobody will stop them unless they start flashing it at people. 

So just to be clear here, most of the stores in my area the store owner is strapped. So most people here are advocating DQ’ing the store owner at the next tournament, in which case he’d send all players home? I mean I’d see no other way to address the issue, he sure as he**  wouldn’t leave and just leave us there. Just because you can’t see a weapon doesn’t mean it’s not there, it is after all a concealed carry permit. That’s kind of the nature of the beast. This thread is really, I mean really, getting way out there. I can’t believe IT STILL HASN’T BEEN LOCKED. 

1 hour ago, Vykk Draygo said:

So just to be clear here, most of the stores in my area the store owner is strapped. So most people here are advocating DQ’ing the store owner at the next tournament, in which case he’d send all players home? I mean I’d see no other way to address the issue, he sure as he**  wouldn’t leave and just leave us there. Just because you can’t see a weapon doesn’t mean it’s not there, it is after all a concealed carry permit. That’s kind of the nature of the beast. This thread is really, I mean really, getting way out there. I can’t believe IT STILL HASN’T BEEN LOCKED. 

The floor rules are pretty darn clear. Maybe they should consider unstrapping themselves on tournament day if they want to play and lock it in the car or at least not on their person, like in a back room or lockbox or something.

I mean, are people seriously leaning over x-wing tables with a chambered round on their hip? 

No seriously guys, it's mesmerising how the whole humanity but the US citizens can just get over "no pew-pews, plz" policy without a blink of an eye. "Please, don't be prepared to kill anybody" is the most reasonable request an organizer of anything, anywhere can make, seriously.

Reading through this thread is like some extravaganza mental safari trip. 

1 hour ago, JJ48 said:

Why not?  Many people do everything else in their day while carrying.

If I knew my opponent had a loaded and chambered gun on their hip while their leaning over a high table, all I'd be thinking about was this picture:

leather-holster-ad-nd-3.jpg

And no he wasn't stabbed by a chopstick. People are stupid and they do stupid things that they know they shouldn't, like locking their keys in their car or buying a cheap holster that shifts around and compresses the trigger or not properly applying the safety to the firing arm that is now inches from my face and fingers while we're both leaning over a table together to try and accomplish a difficult blocked maneuver that requires holding down multiple ships and templates. Yeah no thanks. 

Posted (edited)

It's time for the Strawpoll, then.

When I take my gun to an OP event, I feel like:

A.  Han Solo, because only a Good Guy with a gun can stop a Bad Guy with a gun.

Image result for han vs greedo

B.  Princess Leia, because only an armed citizenry can prevent tyrannical governments.

Image result for leia vs stormtrooper

C.  Luke Skywalker, because on the wild frontier there are savages who want to steal your stuff.

Image result for luke hunting rifle

D.  Boba Fett, because being armed is badass, even if you never need to use it.

Image result for boba fett

Edited by Darth Meanie

55 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

The saddest thing about this entire conversation is that now we have a "no weapons at OP events, please" rule in place, you just know there will be those people deliberately ignoring it because "it's muh constitewshunal right, bah gawd.".

The irony being that "armed law-abiding citizens are critical to safety and security," followed immediately by "I'll break any rule or law that would attempt to disarm me."

4 hours ago, Tvboy said:

If I knew my opponent had a loaded and chambered gun on their hip while their leaning over a high table, all I'd be thinking about was this picture:

leather-holster-ad-nd-3.jpg

And no he wasn't stabbed by a chopstick. People are stupid and they do stupid things that they know they shouldn't, like locking their keys in their car or buying a cheap holster that shifts around and compresses the trigger or not properly applying the safety to the firing arm that is now inches from my face and fingers while we're both leaning over a table together to try and accomplish a difficult blocked maneuver that requires holding down multiple ships and templates. Yeah no thanks. 

And that's why it's always a good idea to properly secure your weapon and invest in a proper holster.

3 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

It's time for the Strawpoll, then.

When I take my gun to an OP event, I feel like:

A.  Han Solo, because only a Good Guy with a gun can stop a Bad Guy with a gun.

Image result for han vs greedo

B.  Princess Leia, because only an armed citizenry can prevent tyrannical governments.

Image result for leia vs stormtrooper

C.  Luke Skywalker, because on the wild frontier there are savages who want to steal your stuff.

Image result for luke hunting rifle

D.  Boba Fett, because being armed is badass, even if you never need to use it.

Image result for boba fett

E.  R2-D2, because no one knows what tools you're carrying until you have a need to use them, seeing as how it's none of their business.

latest?cb=20100313000946

9 hours ago, Vykk Draygo said:

I think it'd be hilarious to see a TO try to kick the owner out of the store based solely on an FFG document.

41 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

E.  R2-D2, because no one knows what tools you're carrying until you have a need to use them, seeing as how it's none of their business.

None of my business?

No stray rounds?

No riqochets?

No accidental discharges?

It's funny that the laws recognize that second-hand smoke can kill me but a bullet is the safest thing in the world because it never goes anywhere unintended.

5 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

It's funny that the laws recognize that second-hand smoke can kill me but a bullet is the safest thing in the world because it never goes anywhere unintended.

Second-hand smoke is only harmful if the cigarette is lit.  A bullet is only harmful if it leaves the gun.

Incidentally, if a gun is fired, the law does have quite a bit to say about it.

Posted (edited)

On August the 27, 2018, Jacksonville, two people were killed and ten injured in a video game tournament shooting by one of the players using a legally owned firearm. He had just lost a game.

A lawsuit was later filed against EA games, who had little or no safety regulations in place, I don't know what the outcome was.

FFG isn't overreaching, they are covering their butts against future shootings and following legal proceedings. No one one wants to have their brand on a shooting, let alone one they had no rules in place to dissuade.

Edited by CMDR Kastor

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, CMDR Kastor said:

On August the 27, 2018, Jacksonville, two people were killed and ten injured in a video game tournament shooting by one of the players using a legally owned firearm. He had just lost a game.

A lawsuit was later filed against EA games, who had little or no safety regulations in place, I don't know what the outcome was.

FFG isn't overreaching, they are covering their butts against future mass shootings and following legal proceedings. No one one wants to have their brand on a shooting, let alone one they had no rules in place to dissuade.

This. Just ask any university that’s had one.

Edited by astronautcowboy