hothorbust

Jyn Erso Deserves to be in consideration for your rebel list.

Is your list in need of hope? Is there something that has been missing from your rebellious life? Have you been asking yourself: Where have all the good Jyns gone?
I am making the argument that Jyn is a viable unit and needs to be strongly considered when list building.

Quick Tease: 

It has been a tough road for Jyn Erso in Star Wars Legion. Like a new toy at Christmas we all wanted to play with her at first, but then we all stopped. I think we could come up with several reasons why we stopped using her in Legion but I think the real reason is because she’s very difficult to use.

I know what most of you are thinking… it’s not because she’s difficult to use its because she’s bad. I just don’t think that’s the case, she has her uses and she has a particular play style and I just don’t think that most of us have figured it out yet. I believe a lot of the time the mistake that we make with her is by using her Infiltrate keyword and placing her in danger immediately. I really do think that this is a bad use of Jyn that even I am guilty of on numerous occasions. I think in order to play Jyn correctly in Star Wars Legion we need to take a look at the source material that she came from: Rogue One.

I've played her in every game I've played and with more conservative play I've done really well with her. She has taken some beatings in the game. I have played her with Sabine once and again it worked out well but I originally felt the cost for both was expensive. I'm going to try and fit Sabine into the list to see how I manage to run with her. 

I agree though that Ithink people make snap judgment based on the fact it is easier to get good results from other commanders. The same has been said about pathfinders in the past and there are people out there who love them, again the key isn't using infiltrate to get you in position to attack your opponent early but to get you into position so that you can score objectives , so you want to use them to delay them setting up or to aid in your own. Every action a unit has to divert attention to dealing with either infiltrate unit is an action you gain on scoring the objective.

2 hours ago, syrath said:

I've played her in every game I've played and with more conservative play I've done really well with her. She has taken some beatings in the game. I have played her with Sabine once and again it worked out well but I originally felt the cost for both was expensive. I'm going to try and fit Sabine into the list to see how I manage to run with her. 

The best game I every did with Sabine was where she grabbed the objective turn one and dodge/moved every turn after (not even sure I even shot with her). With dodge, cover, and suppression nothing could kill her. She feels okay as a defensive or support piece(ran her with Sabine with mixed results), but man does it feel like they have better options every time I try her.

42 minutes ago, RyantheFett said:

The best game I every did with Sabine was where she grabbed the objective turn one and dodge/moved every turn after (not even sure I even shot with her). With dodge, cover, and suppression nothing could kill her. She feels okay as a defensive or support piece(ran her with Sabine with mixed results), but man does it feel like they have better options every time I try her.

I'm assuming you didn't dodge but think quickly.

I agree with the premise that shes less objectively bad and rather requires more practice and also some conditions to shine.

That said, there s a cost associated with her situationalness that is not reflected in her in game cost.  Just like her pathfinder brethren shes just too expensive for what she does and the difficulty associated with getting the most from these units.  

8 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

You're confusing her with Jyn. Sabine does not have Quick Thinking.

No got confused as to which was posted about, similar result different cause

Posted (edited)

I am currently considering a list with Jyn, Sabs and a heavy hitter, preferably Sabine. I will try it the first time next weekend at a small tournament.

The idea is to create more standard scenarios in which Jyns command cards and abilities have a significant impact to justify the extra points compared to Leia or a generic officer.

As you mentioned she can stack a lot of dodge tokens on a heavy hitter with Danger Sense, Duck and Cover and Nimble. If you trigger that with your own charges, she can remain out of sight and make sure that she is not exposed to large attack pools with pierce. The buffed unit may then be able to expose itself a little bit that turn. She would activate first in the "Trust goes both ways"-turn and use quick thinking/ dodge to make a few charges next to her explode. Any hits should be avoided with danger sense and her dodge token.

If you use it on Luke for example, he can easily accumulate between 4 an 6 Dodge tokens to close in that turn. With Pierce immune and Deflect, he is significantly more robust than Sabine against shooting. Sabine would have less damage potential than Luke, but with her 3-pip she would have another turn where she is in the opponents business and hard to kill, while Luke would need to use Force Push to hide in melees in ordsr to not be  focussed by a lot of ranged attacks.

The main benefit for Luke is that he would depend a little less on LOS-blockers and take a more direct route to his preferred sparing partners.

Edited by M.Mustermann

Sure, if I had picked her up maybe I’d give her a try. But I am less interested. I still have to pick up Han and Chewie, plus the new Luke is tempting too.

I’ve given up on being a completionist. Now I just buy things when I can afford to, based on what I am either hyped to paint or really hyped to get on the game board. Jyn doesn’t do it for me - doesn’t make her bad, just not a priority. 

On 7/25/2019 at 11:15 AM, Dosiere said:

I agree with the premise that shes less objectively bad and rather requires more practice and also some conditions to shine.

That said, there s a cost associated with her situationalness that is not reflected in her in game cost.  Just like her pathfinder brethren shes just too expensive for what she does and the difficulty associated with getting the most from these units.  

I have a thread that shows Pathfinders are not mathematically bad

Posted (edited)

If you like a unit play with it. Don't be so afraid to lose a game of Spacedolls that you forget to have fun playing Spacedolls.

She's rather ideally sculpted for a Hoth repaint so she and Pathfinders will make their way into my lists someday. I am behind on painting though.

Edited by TauntaunScout

19 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

If you like a unit play with it. Don't be so afraid to lose a game of Spacedolls that you forget to have fun playing Spacedolls.

The podcast is about tournament games. Noone is afraid to loose a game with his buddies, but if you drive a few hours and maybe have to pay for a hotel it is not insane to spent one or two thoughts on what you want to play and how you can make it perform better. 

@ Tirion: They may be not mathematically bad, but they are practically bad. At least in a tournament setup where you have to consistently perform better than your opponent 3 to 5 times in a row. Situational abilities like those of Jyn and Pathfinders are as often a liability as they are an asset in that context. Of course you can win with them, but they tend to punish mistakes harder than most other units. Everybody makes mistakes in every game.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, M.Mustermann said:

Noone is afraid to loose a game with his buddies, .

That has not been my experience. Your community may differ. But I see people minmaxing their shopping list, not even their army list, in every game system. And tournament culture influences everything else, so the podcast being about tournaments makes it relevant.

Edited by TauntaunScout

55 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

...Your community may differ...

Maybe. That might the reason why I do not get the resentment against "tournament culture" and the idea that it is spoiling game systems for other players who are not interested in it.

I simply doubt that there is anyone who feels adressed by the assumption that he is not playing the way he actually wants to play because he is a bad looser.

Posted (edited)

Jyn Erso and the Pathfinders have got a boost with the RRG, I don't think it will be enough to sway the haters, but some people may find it more palatable, Danger Sense now works in melee.

Edit not quite now but as of 1.5

Edited by syrath

Posted (edited)
On 7/31/2019 at 9:01 AM, M.Mustermann said:

Maybe. That might the reason why I do not get the resentment against "tournament culture" and the idea that it is spoiling game systems for other players who are not interested in it.

It was one side of the coin that killed WFB in my opinion. Though ultimately GW bears responsibility, the tournament player base contributed greatly to the demise of their own favorite game.

34 minutes ago, Chalaceador said:

RRG?

Rules Reference Guide. Ie, the PDF of the big rulebook to Legion.

1 hour ago, syrath said:

Jyn Erso and the Pathfinders have got a boost with the RRG, I don't think it will be enough to sway the haters, but some people may find it more palatable, Danger Sense now works in melee.

Edit not quite now but as of 1.5

When my painting queue clears up I'm going to be using her as my Hoth army general, unless a Reikan or something is released in the meantime. Her scarf looks very Kenner "Hoth Rebel Commander" to me. Fair warning, I lose all my games regardless of what I take, so I won't sway anyone either.

Edited by TauntaunScout

It's entirely plausible that my planned future Hoth list of Jyn, Wookies, and 3 squads of tauntauns, will be a good close combat army due the sheer number of cc units I'm taking. With Veterans and Mk II blasters filling up my Corps requirements and providing ranged attack balance.

First I have to actually buy Jyn and Wookies though, which is a ways off.

9 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

It's entirely plausible that my planned future Hoth list of Jyn, Wookies, and 3 squads of tauntauns, will be a good close combat army due the sheer number of cc units I'm taking. With Veterans and Mk II blasters filling up my Corps requirements and providing ranged attack balance.

First I have to actually buy Jyn and Wookies though, which is a ways off.

What colour do you plan on the wookies ,, traditional or snow ape .