• Rose Tico
    • GA-97
    • Contraband Cybernetics
  • Poe Dameron
    • Black One
    • Outmanoeuvre
    • Advanced Proton Torpedoes
    • BB-8

Han deploys somewhere as awkward as possible for the enemy to engage en masse, and sets a clock on how long it will be before shots are fired. With Finn and Heroic, a head-on pass isn't too scary since at least one thing in the enemy squad shouldn't live long enough to shoot.. Meanwhile, you set your "It's The Resistance!" clock so that in theory SUDDENLY POE jumps something in the enemy squad from behind with a focus/lock/outmanoeuvre advanced proton torpedo at the same time - very few things can shrug off a primary shot from Finn followed up by that.

There's 8 points of slack - spare parts or afterburners for poe, angled deflectors or a shield upgrade for han all seem like nice ideas.

I think it is interesting and hilarious to start both ships in weird places.  It would be easy to throw off your opponent with something like this. 

With that said, Han probably doesn't kill anything by himself, unless you're up against a droid swarm.  Poe has a better chase hitting something from behind like this.  Since you have 2 I6's, you definitely want a decent sized bid.  You might want to try increasing it, if you can.  R2 for regen, or R4 for stress removal seems like a cheaper option and both would put you above the 10 point bid mark.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Biggsy_boy said:

It would be easy to throw off your opponent with something like this. 

Agreed. Especially with a more swarmy force that can't easily turn a formation - ending up with a line abreast where you feed your units into range a bit at a time and have the front elements in a closer range band to the ones in back is a really bad place to be.

I'm not sure you can afford to be too cocky - Han is going to have to survive a minimum of 3 rounds solo (no pun intended) before SUDDENLY POE appears on your opponent's tail. The last thing you can afford to do is throw him into the fight on turn 1 - probably not even turn 2.

Angled Deflectors might well be a good call in case you find yourself facing a swarm.

Since you have 2 I6's, you definitely want a decent sized bid.  You might want to try increasing it, if you can.

Personally, I've always seen it the other way around. This may be my personal experiences and prejudices colouring my judgement (I tend to play swarms and heavy swarms so the lion's share of most squads I've ever used have been low-initiative generics - I'm used to being on the smelly end of the initiative stick);

• squads of multiple I6 are relatively rare
  • if an opponent's best is I5 then any point in the bid is wasted money
  • anyone can take a squad with one point less bid. Sooner or later you have to accept you're moving first. Heck, eventually you'll be facing "Null" and it doesn't matter.

So with a pure I6 squad I'm probably more inclined to spend all the points I have - it's when you've got highly manoeuvrable I5s (e.g. Kylo) , or just one I6 that I expect to use as an endgame piece (e.g. Soontir) that I think the bid becomes much more important.

R2 for regen, or R4 for stress removal seems like a cheaper option and both would put you above the 10 point bid mark.

BB-8 is a big part of Poe being able to do double-actions without stressing himself for the next turn, so I'm really loathe to give him up. Plus I really need a free boost to get a range 1 torpedo shot on a target when starting outside range 3, so if I dropped it I'd probably see myself springing for afterburners instead, which is almost as expensive.

With that said, Han probably doesn't kill anything by himself, unless you're up against a droid swarm. 

I accept he's unlikely to one-shot anything but a vulture, but frankly very few things can actually one-shot targets. But with 3-and-a-half dice in his forward arc and free target locks out the wazoo, he gets about as good a primary attack as anyone save a VCX-100 or YT-2400. His main job is to be a threat an enemy squad can't afford not to point themselves at - which in turn makes SUDDENLY POE much more of a threat by giving him a better shot at outmanoeuvre.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Ive thought about this but what im really wanting to try out just for laughs is Han and Rey.  

Ga-97 on Han of course.   Can put engine upgrades on both, finn and c3p0 on Rey for coordinating Han if it makes sense and Rey still has calc and force for mods.  

Still have some pts left over to play with 

Posted (edited)

It’s funny you should mention this @Magnus Grendel, I flew the list in the post you referenced at a fun night.  For some reason I chickened out and SUDDENLYed the transport instead of Poe, it was dumb.  I iterated on it though, and came to a similar list as yours.  (I know my list would be better with torps, but I’d wanted to try the Autoblasters.)

T-70 X-wing - •Poe Dameron - 81
    •Poe Dameron - Trigger-Happy Flyboy (68)
        Marksmanship (1)
        •BB-8 (8)
        •Black One (2)
        Integrated S-foils (Open) (0)
        Autoblasters (2)

Scavenged YT-1300 Light Freighter - •Han Solo - 119
    •Han Solo - Jaded Smuggler (71)
        •Lone Wolf (5)
        •GA-97 (8)
        •Rose Tico (9)
        Engine Upgrade (7)
        •Rey’s Millennium Falcon (5)
        •Rey (14)

Total: 200/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

The idea was to run Han around giggling and squealing, “Chase me, chase me!”

Then SUDDENLY Poe! 

Anyway, I got a few games in with it, and these are my take always.

Torps are certainly better on Poe.

Han can melt like ice cream on a Florida sidewalk in July.

Rose was useful, but didn’t feel 9 points useful.  Would trade her for something that adds survivability.

It was hilarious fun?  Many moments of,  “Wait, you’re deploying him where?”

I never spent more than three charges on the SURPRISE Droid.

Could maybe have real competitive legs with more experience.

Edited by Phelan Boots

11 hours ago, Phelan Boots said:

Han can melt like ice cream on a Florida sidewalk in July.

@ChahDresh's suggestion of going for Rey makes a certain degree of sense, then. Being able to protect your aft aspect may be good. Not taking Finn does make Heroic somewhat redundant, so....Lone Wolf? Angled Deflectors are a possibility, too. I agree keeping him alive is going to be a big deal.

Did you get much damage out of han?

I never spent more than three charges on the SURPRISE Droid.

I think if you're five turns into the game, it's no longer going to be that surprising.....

(I know my list would be better with torps, but I’d wanted to try the Autoblasters.)

Autoblasters are great when you're confident you can keep outflying people (I think it's great on Ello) but if you've got that one turn where you know you've got a straight-line blue strafing run at someone's tail, torps will give you more bang for your buck.