Sign in to follow this  
Jedu

Brobots in 2.0 - how are they?

7 hours ago, dotswarlock said:

I win about 80% of my casual games with dual IG-88, 95% of my Flycasual games and 75% of my tournament games with this configuration:

https://raithos.github.io/?f=Scum and Villainy&d=v8ZsZZ82X121W111W11W13W69W93W166W151Y84X121W111W11W13W69W93W166W151&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

The thing with IG-88 is that it is not just a list that you can simply pick up from ListFortress; you need to give a lot of thought about obstacle placement, turn zero and manoeuvering them.  They don't have action economy, they have action consistency, which is very different.

They are a lot of fun to play with, which is one of its main key points.  As long as no other version of Dreadlock or 4 phantoms with juke pop up, they can actually last a good while.

Did you ever try Elusive instead of Fearless? 

6 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

With Advanced Sensors that could be really good...

Yep, get two calc tokens before doing the Segnor's loop. Then defend with 4 green dice (Stealth Device), Elusive charge for a reroll...

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Polynomial-C said:

Yep, get two calc tokens before doing the Segnor's loop. Then defend with 4 green dice (Stealth Device), Elusive charge for a reroll...

Yeah that sounds like it has some potential, and besides Fearless has anti-synergy with IG-B.

What about getting Contraband Cybernetics in there? Its only 3 pts now. Drop Tractor on IG-D to pay for it over Deadman. In case you really need to do a white maneuver while stressed or a premove action while stressed.

Edited by prauxim

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, prauxim said:

Yeah that sounds like it has some potential, and besides Fearless has anti-synergy with IG-B.

What about getting Contraband Cybernetics in there? Its only 3 pts now. Drop Tractor on IG-D to pay for it over Deadman. In case you really need to do a white maneuver while stressed or a premove action while stressed.

Looking kinda decent but a little lopsided maybe. Stealth across two brobots comes to 16 points and I only have two left so I couldn't fit it without dropping the third ship. I like ORP because you can AS a lock, sloop onto a rock, get passed a calculate, recharge elusive, and shoot double-modded, which can be crazy unpredictable for your opponent. With CC you can do it two turns in a row...

IG-88A (68)    
    Elusive (3)    
    Advanced Sensors (10)    
    Contraband Cybernetics (3)    
    IG-2000 (1)    

IG-88C (65)    
    Elusive (3)    
    Advanced Sensors (10)    
    IG-2000 (1)    

Outer Rim Pioneer (28)    
    IG-88D (3)    

Total: 198    

A Jakku Gunrunner would work about as well, or L3-37 if you really have to coordinate a lot. Matter of preference I guess.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

Played this for a while, felt good not great:

IG-88A (68)    
    IG-2000 (1)    

Ship total: 72  Half Points: 36  Threshold: 4    

IG-88D (64)    
    Elusive (3)    
    IG-2000 (1)    

Ship total: 71  Half Points: 36  Threshold: 4    

L3-37 (47)    
    Jabba the Hutt (6)    
    Rigged Cargo Chute (4)    

Ship total: 57  Half Points: 29  Threshold: 6    

Total: 200    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Scum and Villainy&d=v8ZsZ200Z81XWWWWW92WW151Y84X119WWWWW92WW151Y91XW39WWW96WW&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

It has the feeling of being competitive if you are willing to put the time in to learn all the fun stuff. I would also consider dropping the rigged for another Elusive, but it's hard to say. 

Jabba has pretty solid value, every game I've spent all of his charges. Contraband becomes a truly lite version of Advanced Sensors. 

IGD is possibly the best IG if you have cybernetics or sensors because they become impossible to block.

They're underrated.  Mainly because they require a lot of practice, planning and thought to fly effectively, which ends up with a lot of less dedidated players writing them off in favour of the less demanding pillars of the meta.

(There is no meta, only Zuul).

1 hour ago, Bucknife said:

Boba+IGs sounds terrifying...

You can only fit one with him, but I do like the idea of a two ship list with him. Honestly he stands to gain greatly from all three abilities

a) Calc-share is always amazing

b) He has a cannon slot as well

c) White boost gives him free evade.

I'd probably consider something like this:

Boba Fett (85)    
    Outmaneuver (6)    
    Tractor Beam (2)    
    IG-88D (3)    
    Slave I (2)    
    Adv. Proton Torpedoes (6)    

IG-88A (68)    
    Outmaneuver (6)    
    Advanced Sensors (10)    
    Tractor Beam (2)    
    IG-2000 (1)    

Total: 197    

Question: Do you need to take 2+ bots to make them useful?

My most recent list has IgD with Adv sensors and then Fenn and Palob (w/ title) . I have not tried it yet but I was going through what I felt was the bots weakest attributes and it's the I4 so I paired him with the best ace killers I could think off, another I6 and Palob. 

In theory if you are against lower then I4 then D is crazy good. But when you add aces you start to struggle Palob is really good at stealing the focus tokens so others can hit harder and if they have I5/I4s Fenn is close to OP.

16 hours ago, Polynomial-C said:

Did you ever try Elusive instead of Fearless? 

I did with one of my tests where I had 2 IG-88 with Elusive and Serissu (also with Elusive).  I mean don't take me wrong, it was funny, but I find that I prefer Fearless most of the time.  There are times where you manage a good block or where your opponent has a higher initiative and gets in range 1 hoping to cause you a lot of damage.  Having Fearless, and the IG's high health pool, means that not only do you usually survive the attack, but the return shot will hurt him just as much.

On 7/24/2019 at 7:41 AM, dotswarlock said:

The thing with IG-88 is that it is not just a list that you can simply pick up from ListFortress; you need to give a lot of thought about obstacle placement, turn zero and manoeuvering them.  They don't have action economy, they have action consistency, which is very different.

14 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

They're underrated.  Mainly because they require a lot of practice, planning and thought to fly effectively, which ends up with a lot of less dedidated players writing them off in favour of the less demanding pillars of the meta.

I think these guys have it right.  There are some ships that just don't fly like other ships and you need to think about them differently.  They aren't intuitive to fly.   So, it might be hard to just pick them up to try.  When people do, they die and the assumption is they aren't good.  

Back in 1st Ed, they cleaned my clock a couple of times....until I figured out their tricks and then beat them every single game. 

On 7/24/2019 at 6:41 AM, dotswarlock said:

I win about 80% of my casual games with dual IG-88, 95% of my Flycasual games and 75% of my tournament games with this configuration:

https://raithos.github.io/?f=Scum and Villainy&d=v8ZsZZ82X121W111W11W13W69W93W166W151Y84X121W111W11W13W69W93W166W151&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

They are a lot of fun to play with, which is one of its main key points.  As long as no other version of Dreadlock or 4 phantoms with juke pop up, they can actually last a good while.

What do you mean by "action consistency"? 

18 minutes ago, Scopes said:

I think he means that 2 Calculation tokens can give a broader success in results than just one Focus.   If you have roll an attack and need 1 eyeball changed, you use a Calc.  In the same turn on defense, you can use another Calc to change another eyeball.   So, you might not get to change ALL your eyeballs for a result, but you can change results for two separate rolls.  You come closer to having a higher average result for all your rolls than with just one Focus.   

23 minutes ago, Scopes said:

Let’s take a recognized Ace : Vader .  He has a crazy amount of action economy… but if you block him, he can’t use it.  The following turn, if he does a k-turn to get back in the fight, he – again – cannot use his action economy nor does he get that extra dice from a target lock.

IG-88 with advanced sensors (which is nearly a must have because of the size of his medium base), does not have that problem.  If you block him, it just means he has one less ship firing at him.  There are actually many cases where he can block himself using allies to maintain a better position.  The next turn, doing a k-turn or s-loop is not a problem either; he’ll still get his action.

Meanwhile, his opponent must be worried about bombs, tractor beams (either on an asteroid or closer to the edge of the map), ion cannon (losing control), which might force him to make suboptimal movements or waste actions to avoid said problems.  It’s funny sometimes to see people dodging bombs that they thought that I would drop, but that I had no intention of dropping, lol.

4 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

I think he means that 2 Calculation tokens can give a broader success in results than just one Focus.   If you have roll an attack and need 1 eyeball changed, you use a Calc.  In the same turn on defense, you can use another Calc to change another eyeball.   So, you might not get to change ALL your eyeballs for a result, but you can change results for two separate rolls.  You come closer to having a higher average result for all your rolls than with just one Focus.   

I would call that "action efficiency" more than "action consistency", and yes, that is also a factor.  If I get shot by an X-Wing at range 2 and lose one calculate to dodge the attack, that still leaves me 1 more calculate for offensive purposes.  Most other ships do not get that bonus.

19 minutes ago, dotswarlock said:

Let’s take a recognized Ace : Vader .  He has a crazy amount of action economy… but if you block him, he can’t use it.  The following turn, if he does a k-turn to get back in the fight, he – again – cannot use his action economy nor does he get that extra dice from a target lock.

IG-88 with advanced sensors (which is nearly a must have because of the size of his medium base), does not have that problem.  ...

Vader with Advanced Sensors doesn't have this problem, either.   

I'm not arguing with you, though.  I get what you mean.  I am just pointing that out.  :)

14 minutes ago, dotswarlock said:

I would call that "action efficiency" more than "action consistency", and yes, that is also a factor.  If I get shot by an X-Wing at range 2 and lose one calculate to dodge the attack, that still leaves me 1 more calculate for offensive purposes.  Most other ships do not get that bonus.

I'm just taking a stab at explaining what he means.  I think 1st Ed might have ruined some of us for the term "action efficiency".  So, if it's not a million modified dice per turn, it's not real action efficiency.  :)

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, K13R4N said:

My most recent list has IgD with Adv sensors and then Fenn and Palob (w/ title) . I have not tried it yet but I was going through what I felt was the bots weakest attributes and it's the I4 so I paired him with the best ace killers I could think off, another I6 and Palob. 

That actually sounds like a pretty decent list. I've thought about 2 with a HWK but it doesn't leave enough room for upgrades. 1 with a HWK and an extra ace-killer sounds straight-up good.

In this case I do think I'd go B or D because A loses value the fewer calculators there are in the game. I also think C is underrated, especially with CC for when you need it. Palob is a great deal compared to Torkil Mux, and I almost think Tractor Beam is a must-have with fearless. Bring asteroids, have your buddy throw them onto a rock and just blast away with no consequence. IGB and Boba or Krassis with IGD, both with Tractors, sounds like it could be a lot of fun...

Here's a funny list that actually wants to take initiative against I4-5:

IG-88B (64)    
    Fearless (3)    
    Advanced Sensors (10)    
    Tractor Beam (2)    
    Proximity Mines (6)    
    IG-2000 (1)    

Boba Fett (85)    
    Fearless (3)    
    Tractor Beam (2)    
    IG-88D (3)    
    Proximity Mines (6)    
    Marauder (6)    
    Greedo (1)    

Total: 198    

Edited by ClassicalMoser

Posted (edited)
On 7/24/2019 at 4:34 PM, Jarval said:

IG-88C (65)

Crack Shot (1)
IG-2000 (1)

IG-88A (68)
Crack Shot (1)
IG-2000 (1)

Palob Godalhi (40)
IG-88D (3)
Engine Upgrade (2)
Moldy Crow (18)
Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

I have run this before and it's nice, once Palob is charged up, he can boost in with an Evade and negate tokens or if need be dish out calculates to The IGs.

Edited by Scum4Life
Spelling