JediPartisan

Obi-Wan’s Armour

I was just thinking (a dangerous thing), but shouldn’t Obi-Wan have surges to defense naturally?

Jedi seem to get red defense dice regardless of what they’re wearing, but Obi is wearing armour in the sculpt and art work. So shouldn’t he be slightly better than a normal Jedi, or have we just not had enough examples of Jedi and other Jedi have white defense dice?

What’s other versions of Obi going to be like when they are without armour?

Or is his Seresu Mastery where we pick up the added benefit, since it works on things immune to deflect (so far)?

13 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

I think the reason he doesn’t surge naturally is so he can have his deflect opportunity. I think the armored minis versus not is pretty much relegated to just non-hero units. 

But Leia has white defense dice. Wouldn’t she have red with armour? Veers has red and armour. Just inconsistent in Obi-wan’s Case.

1 minute ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Perhaps the armour simply adds to his health?  Without it he would be one lower.   

The game is abstract..  the armour is just to convey the appearance Obi-wan had in the Clone Wars animated series.   It is to make him look cool.  

I suppose that works, but I wish the developers would set rules of their own to follow to give consistency.

27 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

would set rules of their own to follow to give consistency.

They do. Notice how every one of the same model of gun is the same? Unless it's a variant (or a hero's personal weapon - which apparently counts) they are all identical in dice, range and keywords. 

Armor is more nebulous, but armored units are generally red dice. Surges would probably be more about training (and of course how much you want to feel in the gameplay). Stormies and Clones are protected by their armored shells, not necessarily taking the extra mile like say, the hardened and augmented Death troopers are. The consistent defensive qualities for Jedi is Deflect and Immune: Pierce - which means when they rely on the force, they get that extra mile on defense, and don't have to worry about the blocks they do have getting nulled because they have sabers. This is different from say, someone with really heavy armoring which is represented by Impervious ability to roll extra blocks - or someone just so jumpy that when they're under stress and fire they're more evasive, i/e Danger Sense. Keywords are an important step to, not just your dice color and surge chart. 

16 minutes ago, arnoldrew said:

It's an abstraction of how good their defense is. Boba Fett is in cargo pants and the Emperor is in a bathrobe.

Don't dis the bathrobe. It's probably worth more than several executor class super star destroyers, but has the added benefit of being the most comfortable piece of clothing ever developed in any scifi setting

Edited by thepopemobile100

I remember reading that Obi-Wan only wears the armour to help him bond with the troopers - he doesn't rely on it for protection.

Which is good because it doesn't cover his head or vital organs!

And, of course, the real reason he wears the armour is to reduce the animation complexity :)

Technically it would be better represented as a reroll, as the armor and lightsaber are two chances to block on a 4+ rather than working together in any way.  That'd be even stronger though and gets back to the question of why Vader doesn't get something similar or why Luke doesn't get a t-shirt save reroll and its just... not how the game functions.  You get 1 save with your best defense.  Obi-Wan just has the 4+ twice.

The way it works now is if they are a lightsaber wielder they get a red defense dice, regardless of any armor they may or may not have, and if they have deflect (or a deflect like ability) they dont get surge, probably for balance/to make deflect stand and be more worthwhile

15 hours ago, JediPartisan said:

I suppose that works, but I wish the developers would set rules of their own to follow to give consistency.

Han has a single pistol, Sabine has 2 pistols, gameplay wise, both characters are represented by having a single pistol profile with gunslinger. Some things some things are done for game play.

1 hour ago, MasterShake2 said:

Han has a single pistol, Sabine has 2 pistols, gameplay wise, both characters are represented by having a single pistol profile with gunslinger. Some things some things are done for game play.

Maybe Han is just better with a gun. :P