EliasWindrider

PBP Alt Univ: Clone Wars: OOC

52 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

@ShockHelix

I don't recall Trench telling you his name... and it's been quite a while since the beginning of the mission but I don't recall his name being mentioned in a briefing either.

They knew his name in the Series, since Yularen knew who he was, so I just assumed we would as well. If you want me to change it I can. 

On 2/18/2020 at 10:35 PM, ShockHelix said:

They knew his name in the Series, since Yularen knew who he was, so I just assumed we would as well. If you want me to change it I can. 

Anakin's fleet tangled with separatist fleet before obiwan arrived with the stealth ship, which was how yularen recognized trench (by tactics then confirmed my markings on the ship) that didn't happen in this universe.  Btw he was about to bluff you about who the admiral was, so yeah I'd like you change it.

@MrTInce and @ShockHelix: I guess that Mireska is up next?

Unless anyone else has a good suggestion, Mireska will try something drastic to get out of the grapple.

Her reasoning: surrender is not an option here and now. This CIS officer is very convincing, but if the Engineering assault team didn't make it (an unlikely event, considering that they're two squads lead by very competent officers), then the Bridge assault team is the last chance to break the blockade, save Organa, bring the relief supplies, and free Christophsis. In other words, the bridge assault is a last ditch desperate plan, and surrendering right now would bring down the whole Republic operation in the Christophsis arena of conflict.

@EliasWindrider: I'll need to know (Trench)'s Resilience value for this drastic action (i.e., his Brawn score and his ranks in Resilence), as he will be the passive character in an opposed check.

Edited by Bellona

7 hours ago, Bellona said:

@MrTInce and @ShockHelix: I guess that Mireska is up next?

Unless anyone else has a good suggestion, Mireska will try something drastic to get out of the grapple.

Her reasoning: surrender is not an option here and now. This CIS officer is very convincing, but if the Engineering assault team didn't make it (an unlikely event, considering that they're two squads lead by very competent officers), then the Bridge assault team is the last chance to break the blockade, save Organa, bring the relief supplies, and free Christophsis. In other words, the bridge assault is a last ditch desperate plan, and surrendering right now would bring down the whole Republic operation in the Christophsis arena of conflict.

@EliasWindrider: I'll need to know (Trench)'s Resilience value for this drastic action (i.e., his Brawn score and his ranks in Resilence), as he will be the passive character in an opposed check.

4 brawn, 3 resilience, adversary 3, 2 ranks of iron body which since he's passive will add 2 black instead of remove 2 black.

Of course the cis officer did tell you his commanding officer relocated to the backup bridge, so taking out the main bridge wouldn't mean you'd succeed at the boarding mission.

4 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

Of course the cis officer did tell you his commanding officer relocated to the backup bridge, so taking out the main bridge wouldn't mean you'd succeed at the boarding mission.

Unless we can take control from the main bridge long enough to crash the ship into the surface or another CIS ship. I’m guessing Elsee is still around right? XD

31 minutes ago, ShockHelix said:

Unless we can take control from the main bridge long enough to crash the ship into the surface or another CIS ship. I’m guessing Elsee is still around right? XD

True and yes Elsee was waiting out in the hallway.

10 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

4 brawn, 3 resilience, adversary 3, 2 ranks of iron body which since he's passive will add 2 black instead of remove 2 black.

According to FaD p. 138, the Adversary talent specifically refers to combat checks (which are Brawl, Melee, Ranged-Light, Ranged-Heavy, and Gunnery as per FaD p. 210), and this action is not one of those skills. I highly doubt that Trench is in any way prepared/trained for this particular kind of "attack". (Jedi Healers are extremely uncommon on the field of battle; they're usually either in Temple or working at clinics, hospitals, refugee camps, etc.)

I'll add the +2 Setbacks from the 2 ranks in the Iron Body talent. (Even though I'm not 100% convinced that Iron Body applies, due to this "attack" ignoring Soak.)

Condor had already passed both an upgrade and a Boost to Mireska's next skill check.

(I did consider flipping a Destiny Point for another upgrade, but I might need to keep that in reserve for the Force power check.)

Here goes nothing (not to mention Mireska's Conflict/Morality) ... maybe I can quote Plo Koon and call it Emerald Lightning Feedback or something? :)  ... Harm power on Trench:

Harm power (w. upgrades) plus Medicine vs. Trench's Resilience plus Iron Body 2, plus Condor's upgrade + Boost: 4eF+4eP+1eA+1eB+3eC+1eD+2eS 4 failures, 2 advantage, 2 Light Side, 4 Dark Side
f-ds-ds.pngf-ls-ls.pngf-ds.pngf-ds.pngp-s.pngp-s-a.pngp-a-a.pngp-s-s.pnga--.pngb--.pngc-f-f.pngc-f-f.pngc-th.pngd-f-f.pngs-f.pngs-f.png

... Okay, it's a good thing that I refrained from using the Destiny Point earlier, because I need to flip a Destiny Point now in order to use all the Force pips. That flipped DP is then converted back to the LS by Will of the Force talent since the Medicine part of the combined check failed (which means that the Control: Critical upgrade didn't get activated properly).

Conflict: +4 (using 4 DS pips) +1 (using Harm basic power) = +5 Conflict (current total).

Total Force pips used: 6 (2 LS + 4 DS). Harm basic power activation (1 pip), 2 Strength upgrades activation with multiple activations (5 pips).

Result: 4 damage (4 Intellect from basic Harm) + 4 damage (Control: Medicine upgrade) + 10 damage (5 pips x 2 Strength upgrades) = Trench takes 18 damage which ignores Soak.

Other Harm upgrades used include Control: Strain (Mireska regains up to 18 Strain, i.e., she is no longer suffering any Strain) and Control: Critical (unsuccessful, therefore no Critical Injury inflicted on Trench). (Mireska deliberately chose not to heal herself of her own Wounds with the Control: Status upgrade, as that would have cost her more Conflict.)

Naratively Mireska caused Trench's body to go in convulsions/suffer a heart attack and/or brain haemorrhage, while she siphoned off enough "bio-energy" to regain her own Strain. Don't expect her to do this in anything other than absolute emergencies - this is something which she hates to do.

If this seems like a tremendous amount of damage, then please remember that Mireska has invested 170 points in 10 out of 13 powers on the Heal/Harm tree, not to mention a Dedication to get Intellect 4 and the points needed for Medicine rank 4. (Grand total: 240 XP.) Plus she just gained +5 Conflict.

I'll use the 2 Advantages to ... well, that depends on upon the immediate result of the Harm power use on Trench. I need to know if he's still holding onto Mireska, or if he dropped her out of turn, or if he possibly fell off the ceiling himself (if he exceeded his WT). She still has up to 2 manoeuvres left for her turn.

IC post will go up once this action is okayed and the rest of Mireska's turn is sorted out.

Edited by Bellona
No Advantages (see re-roll below).

28 minutes ago, Bellona said:

According to FaD p. 138, the Adversary talent specifically refers to combat checks (which are Brawl, Melee, Ranged-Light, Ranged-Heavy, and Gunnery as per FaD p. 210), and this action is not one of those skills. I highly doubt that Trench is in any way prepared/trained for this particular kind of "attack". (Jedi Healers are extremely uncommon on the field of battle; they're usually either in Temple or working at clinics, hospitals, refugee camps, etc.)

I'll add the +2 Setbacks from the 2 ranks in the Iron Body talent. (Even though I'm not 100% convinced that Iron Body applies, due to this "attack" ignoring Soak.)

Condor had already passed both an upgrade and a Boost to Mireska's next skill check.

(I did consider flipping a Destiny Point for another upgrade, but I might need to keep that in reserve for the Force power check.)

Here goes nothing (not to mention Mireska's Conflict/Morality) ... maybe I can quote Plo Koon and call it Emerald Lightning Feedback or something? :)  ... Harm power on Trench:

Harm power (w. upgrades) plus Medicine vs. Trench's Resilience plus Iron Body 2, plus Condor's upgrade + Boost: 4eF+4eP+1eA+1eB+3eC+1eD+2eS 4 failures, 2 advantage, 2 Light Side, 4 Dark Side
f-ds-ds.pngf-ls-ls.pngf-ds.pngf-ds.pngp-s.pngp-s-a.pngp-a-a.pngp-s-s.pnga--.pngb--.pngc-f-f.pngc-f-f.pngc-th.pngd-f-f.pngs-f.pngs-f.png

... Okay, it's a good thing that I refrained from using the Destiny Point earlier, because I need to flip a Destiny Point now in order to use all the Force pips. That flipped DP is then converted back to the LS by Will of the Force talent since the Medicine part of the combined check failed (which means that the Control: Critical upgrade didn't get activated properly).

Conflict: +4 (using 4 DS pips) +1 (using Harm basic power) = +5 Conflict (current total).

Total Force pips used: 6 (2 LS + 4 DS). Harm basic power activation (1 pip), 2 Strength upgrades activation with multiple activations (5 pips).

Result: 4 damage (4 Intellect from basic Harm) + 4 damage (Control: Medicine upgrade) + 10 damage (5 pips x 2 Strength upgrades) = 18 damage to Trench which ignores Soak.

Other Harm upgrades used include Control: Strain (Mireska regains up to 18 Strain, i.e., she is no longer suffering any Strain) and Control: Critical (unsuccessful, therefore no Critical Injury inflicted on Trench). (Mireska deliberately chose not to heal herself of her own Wounds with the Control: Status upgrade, as that would have cost her more Conflict.)

Naratively Mireska caused Trench's body to go in convulsions/suffer a heart attack and/or brain haemorrhage, while she siphoned off enough "bio-energy" to regain her own Strain. Don't expect her to do this in anything other than absolute emergencies - this is something which she hates to do.

If this seems like a tremendous amount of damage, then please remember that Mireska has invested 170 points in 10 out of 13 powers on the Heal/Harm tree, not to mention a Dedication to get Intellect 4 and the points needed for Medicine rank 4. (Grand total: 240 XP.) Plus she just gained +5 Conflict.

I'll use the 2 Advantages to ... well, that depends on upon the immediate result of the Harm power use on Trench. I need to know if he's still holding onto Mireska, or if he dropped her out of turn, or if he possibly fell off the ceiling himself (if he exceeded his WT). She still has up to 2 manoeuvres left for her turn.

IC post will go up once this action is okayed and the rest of Mireska's turn is sorted out.

This is lower case combat check, any attack including force powers count.  You should have asked before rolling.   Add a red and black to even it out. Also since the attack against trench failed it's no damage.  The rules on force power attacks say PC nemeses and important rivals get to oppose force power attacks.... by default the skill is discipline but the GM can choose another... in this case I'll defer to your choice of resilience.  Also you never get things both ways... you succeed or fail on a check not both, you get to use will of the force because the attack failed.

Edited by EliasWindrider

34 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

This is lower case combat check, any attack including force powers count.  You should have asked before rolling.   Add a red and black to even it out. Also since the attack against trench failed it's no damage.  The rules on force power attacks say PC nemeses and important rivals get to oppose force power attacks.... by default the skill is discipline but the GM can choose another... in this case I'll defer to your choice of resilience.

Since the basic power also requires a Success (not just the Control: Critical upgrade), I'll invoke Mireska's Natural Doctor talent to re-roll the the Medicine portion of the check.

Natural Doctor re-roll: 4eP+1eA+1eB+4eC+1eD+3eS 1 success, 3 threat
p-s.pngp-s.pngp-s-s.pngp-s.pnga-a.pngb--.pngc-th-th.pngc-f.pngc-f.pngc-th.pngd-th.pngs-f.pngs-f.pngs--.png

So the Medicine check succeeded which means that the Harm basic power worked as described in the earlier post.

The 3 Threat as Strain would be cancelled by the up to 18 Strain regained, unless you want to use the 3 Threat for something other than 3 Strain?

Do you want a separate Medicine check for the Control: Critical upgrade (using the same dice), or shall I just say that Mireska didn't manage to activate that upgrade?

Edited by Bellona

7 minutes ago, Bellona said:

Since the basic power also requires a Success (not just the Control: Critical upgrade), I'll invoke Mireska's Natural Doctor talent to re-roll the the Medicine portion of the check.

Natural Doctor re-roll: 4eP+1eA+1eB+4eC+1eD+3eS 1 success, 3 threat
p-s.pngp-s.pngp-s-s.pngp-s.pnga-a.pngb--.pngc-th-th.pngc-f.pngc-f.pngc-th.pngd-th.pngs-f.pngs-f.pngs--.png

So the Medicine check succeeded which means that the Harm basic power worked as described in the earlier post.

Do you want a separate Medicine check for the Control: Critical upgrade (using the same dice), or shall I just say that Mireska didn't manage to activate that upgrade?

No we'll use the one check.... what are Mireska's current wounds and strain?  Recall that you also take voluntary (not reduced by resolve) strain equal to darkside pips used.

Edited by EliasWindrider

1 minute ago, EliasWindrider said:

No we'll use the one check.... what are Mireska's current wounds and strain?

After this action she'll be at 5 Wounds taken from WT 17 and 0 Strain suffered from ST 17.

Just now, EliasWindrider said:

Weren't you about to pass out from strain a round ago.... how did you get down to zero strain?

The Control: Strain upgrade for Harm. Basically, if any DS pips were used to generate FP, then the user heals Strain equal to the Wounds inflicted on one target. Since 18 Wounds were inflicted by Mireska on Trench, 18 Strain was removed from Mireska.

The DS gives some nasty energy to re-invigorate the Harm user.

50 minutes ago, ShockHelix said:

Man and I thought my once off was complicated. **** @Bellona 

Well, I'm exceedingly grateful for the upgrade and Boost passed on to Mireska by Condor, particularly as I needed to re-roll for this "mini-nova" from Mireska. If she gets out of the grapple, don't expect her to be in any good state of mind - she'll probably just scrabble to get away to safety (possibly in a disturbingly spider-like fashion due to the source of her renewed energy) and cower there for at least round.

Personally, I prefer that Mireska stays in the background and just supplies support/protection to the rest of the team. Doing the "anti-heal" thing is really not her preference.

3 minutes ago, Bellona said:

The Control: Strain upgrade for Harm. Basically, if any DS pips were used to generate FP, then the user heals Strain equal to the Wounds inflicted on one target. Since 18 Wounds were inflicted by Mireska on Trench, 18 Strain was removed from Mireska.

The DS gives some nasty energy to re-invigorate the Harm user.

Ok... but you'll keep the strain from the darkside pips though because of order of operations the result of using the darkside to fuel the power, add 3 strain on it from the 3 threat to bring you up to 7 and can you look up the rules for falling damage?

11 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

Ok... but you'll keep the strain from the darkside pips though because of order of operations the result of using the darkside to fuel the power, add 3 strain on it from the 3 threat to bring you up to 7 and can you look up the rules for falling damage?

Fair enough! That will be 7 Strain suffered then.

Falling ... I'm assuming Short range (in RotS, the actual bridge on the Invisible Hand where General Grievous was running the CIS side of the Battle of Coruscant wasn't very high to the ceiling, unlike the observation deck where Dooku and Palpatine were fighting OWK and AS). Short range is 10 damage and 10 Strain. Soak applies to the damage but not the Strain. Falling damage can be reduced by Athletics or Coordination (Average): each Success reduces the damage by 1, each Advantage reduces the Strain by 1. (FaD p. 221)

Edited by Bellona

13 minutes ago, Bellona said:

Fair enough! That will be 7 Strain suffered then.

Falling ... I'm assuming Short range (in RotS, the actual bridge on the Invisible Hand where General Grievous was running the CIS side of the Battle of Coruscant wasn't very high to the ceiling, unlike the observation deck where Dooku and Palpandtine were fighting OWK and AS). Short range is 10 damage and 10 Strain. Soak applies to the damage but not the Strain. Fa lling damage can be reduced by Athletics or Coordination (Average): each Success reduces the damage by 1, each Advantage reduces the Strain by 1. (FaD p. 221)

You're falling and he's landing on top of you... we could apply the falling damage twice with reduction from skill check or once without rolling (soak still applies) .  Your choice which.  Btw trench will be alive but unconscious at the end of the fall, and very much on top off you... roll a 1 red 1 purple 1 black fear check from the fall and the spider biped landing on top of you it is an extremely freaky sensation but you knew it was coming which is why the difficulty pool isn't that bad

Edited by EliasWindrider