EliasWindrider

PBP Alt Univ: Clone Wars: OOC

5 hours ago, MrTInce said:

What is Trench's adversary rating and what's his range to Ker'see?

@Bellona I forgot to apply adversary to the difficulty of the check.... my bad so I won't make you roll extra dice now but next time 5 red and a purple 2 blue, 3 black.  Grappling is this weird quasi attack with no damage (other strain from threat/advantage) on the line.

42 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

@Bellona I forgot to apply adversary to the difficulty of the check.... my bad so I won't make you roll extra dice now but next time 5 red and a purple 2 blue, 3 black.  Grappling is this weird quasi attack with no damage (other strain from threat/advantage) on the line.

I thought that the Difficulty/Challenge part of the dice pool couldn't exceed 5 dice (Formidable)? (Not counting Setbacks)

1 hour ago, EliasWindrider said:

Adversary 3, short range, firing into engaged,

So 2 red 1 purple for ranged light or I think 3 red for ranged heavy, with defense 4, and a 5th black from haze.

Ker'see's not Engaged herself, so the difficulty shouldn't be affected by the skill being used.

Short = 1 Difficulty

Short at someone who is Engaged = upgrade to 1 Challenge

Adversary 3 = increase/upgrade to 2 Challenge + 1 Difficulty

Plus the 5 Setbacks for Defence and the haze.

I'll move into short range so I don't have to upgrade for fighting in engaged range. True Aim to upgrade (2nd Man 2 strain and fire as an action.

Grenade at Trench: 2eP+4eA+2eB+2eC+1eD+5eS 1 failure, 3 advantage
p-s-a.pngp-a.pnga-s-s.pnga-s-a.pnga-a-a.pnga--.pngb-a.pngb--.pngc-f-f.pngc-th-th.pngd-th.pngs-f.pngs-f.pngs--.pngs--.pngs-f.png

Will trigger blast with the three advantages so ion energy rips through Trench disabling his cybernetics. As Incidentals will drop grenade launcher and quick draw lightsaber.

I assume this works for all?

13 hours ago, MrTInce said:

I'll move into short range so I don't have to upgrade for fighting in engaged range. True Aim to upgrade (2nd Man 2 strain and fire as an action.

p-s-a.pngp-a.pnga-s-s.pnga-s-a.pnga-a-a.pnga--.pngb-a.pngb--.pngc-f-f.pngc-th-th.pngd-th.pngs-f.pngs-f.pngs--.pngs--.pngs-f.png

Will trigger blast with the three advantages so ion energy rips through Trench disabling his cybernetics. As Incidentals will drop grenade launcher and quick draw lightsaber.

Ii need damage for strain... ion grenades are insta-kills against droid minions not cyborg nemesis... rules for disabling cybernetics were also unclear (possible that it requires a called shot) unless there was errata I am aware of.

14 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

Ii need damage for strain... ion grenades are insta-kills against droid minions not cyborg nemesis... rules for disabling cybernetics were also unclear (possible that it requires a called shot) unless there was errata I am aware of.

"Cybernetic implants have a serious drawback in that they are affected by weaponry designed to disable technology, such as ionization blasters and ion cannons. If hit by a weapon that normally would only affect droids, a cybernetic enhancement temporarily stops working for the remainder of the scene or until repaired." (FaD p. 182.) So any weapon with the Ion quality just knocks them all out for the duration of the encounter (unless they are somehow fixed during the encounter). No mention of called shots.

Of course, Trench could have had a Surge Override Switch installed (Special Modifications, p. 50). That requires an action and an Average/2 purple Discipline check to use (after the cybernetics have been shut down by ion damage to the bearer). If the check is successful, he can choose to reactivate any number of overloaded implants, but he suffers 2 Strain per implant reactivated. The SOS can only be used once per encounter. (And I only just now noticed that acronym's pun.)

Edited by Bellona
Clarity.

6 hours ago, Bellona said:

"Cybernetic implants have a serious drawback in that they are affected by weaponry designed to disable technology, such as ionization blasters and ion cannons. If hit by a weapon that normally would only affect droids, a cybernetic enhancement temporarily stops working for the remainder of the scene or until repaired." (FaD p. 182.) So any weapon with the Ion quality just knocks them all out for the duration of the encounter (unless they are somehow fixed during the encounter). No mention of called shots.

Of course, Trench could have had a Surge Override Switch installed (Special Modifications, p. 50). That requires an action and an Average/2 purple Discipline check to use (after the cybernetics have been shut down by ion damage to the bearer). If the check is successful, he can choose to reactivate any number of overloaded implants, but he suffers 2 Strain per implant reactivated. The SOS can only be used once per encounter. (And I only just now noticed that acronym's pun.)

There was a huge forum debate about this long before you got here... "hit" was the operative word.... Just because a character is hit (with an ion bolt) doesn't mean that any individual cybernetic enhancement is.    to hit a cybernetic enhancement may require a called shot ... but in the case of a grenade i don't think that argument holds up so no called shots for ion grenades... of course the only cybernetic enhancement I had specifically given him is the mandable (was keeping the rest narrative, but I suppose I have to figure it out now...)...  because I remember him having a cyber face (left half) from a clone wars episode. So maybe the upper left arm is cyber too.  So mandable and one arm stops working... of course if you look in special modifications about cybernetic crafting they can be ion shielded... but I won't do that... but I still need to figure out how much strain trench took from the ion grenade so... what's the base damage of an ion grenade.

Considering how many benefits (exceeding ability score limits, exceeding skill rank limits, fixing amputations from critical injuries, etc.) that a character can obtain just by throwing relatively small amounts of credits at a cyberneticist, I don't consider it unbalancing that any ion-based attack (or similar, like Overcharged) could knock out the whole system for one scene. The character could have the Surge Override Switch installed too if feeling particularly paranoid, which effectively trades one action and variable amounts of Strain for the ability to recover once per scene from an ion-based attack.

(Do the game mechanics even support the concept of called shots? I haven't noticed it in FaD.)

Anyway, ... Ion grenade: damage 8+, critical 4, Blast 6, Disorient 3, Ion.

Edited by Bellona

7 hours ago, Bellona said:

Considering how many benefits (exceeding ability score limits, exceeding skill rank limits, fixing amputations from critical injuries, etc.) that a character can obtain just by throwing relatively small amounts of credits at a cyberneticist, I don't consider it unbalancing that any ion-based attack (or similar, like Overcharged) could knock out the whole system for one scene. The character could have the Surge Override Switch installed too if feeling particularly paranoid, which effectively trades one action and variable amounts of Strain for the ability to recover once per scene from an ion-based attack.

(Do the game mechanics even support the concept of called shots? I haven't noticed it in FaD.)

Anyway, ... Ion grenade: damage 8+, critical 4, Blast 6, Disorient 3, Ion.

They do and iirc the rule is to add 2 black dice and also I think that the gunslinger and/or sharphshooter have a talent to offset that penalty.

On 2/12/2020 at 6:50 AM, MrTInce said:

It works  please add narration to the ic thread.

Edited by EliasWindrider

8 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

@Bellona can you look up whether ion damage does strain to people without cybernetics (I've played enough editions of the game I'm not sure of the rule for this edition, but one edition was odd man out on this rule)

"Ion weapons are designed to affect electrical systems instead of dealing raw damage. ... [stuff about ships] ... The [system strain] damage is still reduced by armour and soak. Droids are affected by ion weapons, taking damage to their strain threshold." (FaD p. 163.) (Bold, ellipsis, and square brackets are mine.)

No direct indication that ion damage will affect organic beings. (I've always imagined it as an EMP although I have no idea if a real life EMP has any affect on people too.)

Edited by Bellona
Clarity.

Um... I just thought off something, that won't rewrite how things turned out on the last attack but... characters on the ceiling shouldn't be affected by blast a near miss grenade would fall to the floor rather than hang in the air until the timer went off... something similar should happen for the regular attack too holding a grenade so the timer ran down a bit before you threw it should increase the difficulty or upgrade the check.  It should just be extra difficult to hit characters on the ceiling with weapons involving a time delay.

4 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

Um... I just thought off something, that won't rewrite how things turned out on the last attack but... characters on the ceiling shouldn't be affected by blast a near miss grenade would fall to the floor rather than hang in the air until the timer went off... something similar should happen for the regular attack too holding a grenade so the timer ran down a bit before you threw it should increase the difficulty or upgrade the check.  It should just be extra difficult to hit characters on the ceiling with weapons involving a time delay.

If it's an impact grenade then it would trigger when it hit something, this instance it would be ceiling.

Hmmm, based on the way I’m hoping things work, I’m going to try and kill the remaining 3 droids with Condor and Balyeg Squad, and then actually follow what Trench said.

I’ll start off with Balyeg 

Manuever: Aim

Action: Auto-Fire Attack (If I’m doing this correctly they aren’t in cover, but a Setback from the Haze) 

Auto-Fire: 3eP+1eA+1eB+3eD+1eS 1 success, 1 advantage
p-a.pngp-s.pngp-s-a.pnga-s.pngb-s.pngd-f-f.pngd--.pngd-th.pngs-f.png

Hmmm. Well no auto-fire, so that only kills one, down to 2 remaining. Passing a boost onto Condor.

Incidental: Lower Weapons 

Condor’s turn:

Maneuver: Aim

Action: Auto-Fire Attack

Auto-Fire Attack: 5eP+1eA+2eB+1eD+1eS 5 successes, 5 advantage, 1 Triumph
p-s-s.pngp-tr.pngp-a-a.pngp-a.pngp-s-a.pnga-s-s.pngb-a.pngb-s-a.pngd-f-th.pngs-f.png

Uhhh, so, let’s use 2 advantage for the auto-fire and that’ll kill the remaining two. I suppose with 2 more advantage I’ll pass a boost to Mireska’s neck check, with the Triumph I’ll pass an upgrade to her next check, and with the final advantage, I’d like to have a look at where Trench is and see if I notice any important details. 

Incidental: ‘Drop’ the Blaster rifle, and hold hands out non-threateningly. 

If all that works out, I’ll probably take 2 strain for a second maneuver to have Balyeg squad up.

Hmmm. I was hoping for some expert precision fire at Trench.

I'm not sure what Mireska's four CTs can do effectively at this point. Any suggestions from the peanut gallery?

If they try to shoot Trench, they face 2 red + 1 purple + 1 black (due to Adversary 3, etc.) with just 3 yellow + 1 blue (aim).

@EliasWindrider: Is there any noticeable change in the ship's speed, direction, etc., now that there's no one at the helm anymore?

Also, there was a fear check earlier when Mireska should have also rolled some Force dice for the Ebb/Flow power. Am I correct in assuming that it's too late to do that now?

Edited by Bellona

5 hours ago, ShockHelix said:

Hmmm, based on the way I’m hoping things work, I’m going to try and kill the remaining 3 droids with Condor and Balyeg Squad, and then actually follow what Trench said.

I’ll start off with Balyeg 

Manuever: Aim

Action: Auto-Fire Attack (If I’m doing this correctly they aren’t in cover, but a Setback from the Haze) 

Auto-Fire: 3eP+1eA+1eB+3eD+1eS 1 success, 1 advantage
p-a.pngp-s.pngp-s-a.pnga-s.pngb-s.pngd-f-f.pngd--.pngd-th.pngs-f.png

Hmmm. Well no auto-fire, so that only kills one, down to 2 remaining. Passing a boost onto Condor.

Incidental: Lower Weapons 

Condor’s turn:

Maneuver: Aim

Action: Auto-Fire Attack

Auto-Fire Attack: 5eP+1eA+2eB+1eD+1eS 5 successes, 5 advantage, 1 Triumph
p-s-s.pngp-tr.pngp-a-a.pngp-a.pngp-s-a.pnga-s-s.pngb-a.pngb-s-a.pngd-f-th.pngs-f.png

Uhhh, so, let’s use 2 advantage for the auto-fire and that’ll kill the remaining two. I suppose with 2 more advantage I’ll pass a boost to Mireska’s neck check, with the Triumph I’ll pass an upgrade to her next check, and with the final advantage, I’d like to have a look at where Trench is and see if I notice any important details. 

Incidental: ‘Drop’ the Blaster rifle, and hold hands out non-threateningly. 

If all that works out, I’ll probably take 2 strain for a second maneuver to have Balyeg squad up.

Doesn't the second dice pool need an extra purple for autofire?

3 hours ago, Bellona said:

I'm not sure what Mireska's four CTs can do effectively at this point. Any suggestions from the peanut gallery?

If they try to shoot Trench, they face 2 red + 1 purple + 1 black (due to Adversary 3, etc.) with just 3 yellow + 1 blue (aim).

@EliasWindrider: Is there any noticeable change in the ship's speed, direction, etc., now that there's no one at the helm anymore?

Also, there was a fear check earlier when Mireska should have also rolled some Force dice for the Ebb/Flow power. Am I correct in assuming that it's too late to do that now?

That's 4 black not 1.

Ebb/flow is for actions you take... a fear check is not an action... it's a thought/emotional response... otherwise things get ridiculous (you could try to get strain back just for thinking/knowledge checks which stretches the bounds of credibility)

The ship/fleet is in a slightly elliptical orbit with front facing outward from planet which is a change of speed and direction.  Beyond that you don't notice anything.

Edited by EliasWindrider

5 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

Doesn't the second dice pool need an extra purple for autofire?

It does, my mistake!

Forgot a Die: 1eD 0 successes, 1 threat
d-th.png

That’s 1 less advantage on the total result, so we’ll forgo the ‘important detail’ so Mireska gets to keep the upgrades.

Then, for the second maneuver to squad up (2 strain)

Squad Up: 3eP+1eA+1eD 3 successes, 4 advantage
p-a-a.pngp-a-a.pngp-s.pnga-s-s.pngd--.png

And the three advantage to order them into close formation. Final advantge to add a boost to next allied character’s check.

8 hours ago, Bellona said:

I’m holding off on that for the time being, because there’s a lot of chance for failure there, and my Ion blaster isn’t going to do much against him, judging by what’s happened so far. The grenade would have likely already taken out the cybernetics for this round if I understand the mechanics correctly, so I don’t think I’d even get strain on Trench at this point. Plus, I have no idea what kind of health pool he has, so between that and the risk of accidentally shooting you, I think I’ve got another idea depending on how the next round goes. 

It looks like the CTs can't do anything useful on the bridge. I'm thinking of having them retreat to the corridor to keep watch on the turbolifts and stairwell doors, in case of reinforcements.

Any objections or better suggestions?

@ShockHelix: Thanks for the upgrades for Mireska. Will there be an IC post?

5 hours ago, Bellona said:

It looks like the CTs can't do anything useful on the bridge. I'm thinking of having them retreat to the corridor to keep watch on the turbolifts and stairwell doors, in case of reinforcements.

Any objections or better suggestions?

@ShockHelix: Thanks for the upgrades for Mireska. Will there be an IC post?

FYI, it didn't come up before but the corridor continues past the elevator and stairwell, so your characters would be aware of that third route to the bridge.