Vutall

DISCUSSION: What is the single biggest issue and what single change made do you think would help L5R as a whole?

Hi,

IMHO: biggest problem for causal players is that game is too long, and a little too complex without good reasons. As long I like a game some decision are probably not best for a game. Military and Political stats I think is not necessary. Old L5R Force / Chi was better. Force for conflicts – Chi for specific situations. One type of conflict – reduction of dubious situation.  Also, provinces – like 4 + 1 SH – I think 4 without SH would be simpler without losing spirit of game. Also, I think that in Old L5R there was easier distinguish for spell, attachment, action (event). Now we have events, spell events (but you don’t need Shugenja top cast them), spell attachment like cloud etc. IMHO – to complicated without reason. System spell / attachment / event was good. But please do not add battle terrains 😊

But one or two things can be easily change reduce province just to 4 – reduce game complication without losing complexity and REMOVE Imperial Favor mechanics from game completely or change it. This like new extra layer of abstraction without good reason for it. Honestly Favor is easy to remove without sacrifice for game.

34 minutes ago, Avatar111 said:

The fact that they do not organize all the stories in released order, in nice pdf format, and that you have to open 5 tabs and try to organize them by dates yourself is just so dumb!

Right about that! It should be in one tab, in order, with a small description.

No reason not to whatsoever.

But coming from the l5r rpg side, my expectations are low! There are spoilers for the published adventures (in neat bullet point easy to read format) mixed up with character creation options in the same pdf location. We don't even have tabs :D

You realize they have a separate section of the website that does collect the web fictions, they're sorted by release cycle and listed with dates.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/legend-of-the-five-rings-fiction/ 

another question, everybody talks about Role locking. But I don't see anywhere that it mentions roles being locked. Is it a thing you need to find on a community made website too ?

1 hour ago, Avatar111 said:

another question, everybody talks about Role locking. But I don't see anywhere that it mentions roles being locked. Is it a thing you need to find on a community made website too ?

When people say role locking what they are normally referring to is the fact that some cards (about 50 from the entire pool) have rules text on saying "___ role only", where ___ can be any of the 5 elements, or Keeper or Seeker.  There are 10 core roles: 'Keeper of' and 'Seeker of' for each of the 5 elements.  Thus those cards are 'locked' to either 2 or 5 of the basic roles.

At home or with your friends you can use any role with any Clan.  If you want to participate in any of the organised play events, your deck needs to use one of the two roles that is currently attached to that Clan, as specified on the FFG website Evilgm previously quoted.

There are (4, but soon more) other roles that came out in clan packs: 'Support of the clan'.  These give more influence for deckbuilding but don't count as Keeper, Seeker or any element, so stop you from accessing the various role-locked cards.

4 minutes ago, Jamadman said:

Honestly had no idea this existed.

Its gets lost since most people don't seem to realize that every fiction is actually linked to that section of the website and not the LCG section

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

Its gets lost since most people don't seem to realize that every fiction is actually linked to that section of the website and not the LCG section

So they do exactly what I thought they should do but I was to unobservant to notice, nice. Being wrong does have its upsides.

Edit: now that I look at it it could still do with a little organising.

Edited by Jamadman
Added edit

33 minutes ago, Jamadman said:

Edit: now that I look at it it could still do with a little organising.

indeed.
the way it is organised is very confusing for a new players. basically, you need to open all tabs and sort them by published dates... 😕

just had this happened to me when my friends asked me where to start for the fiction, and I realized its just, organized in a way for veterans, not noobs (which was the original subject of discussion, the game not being noob friendly)

On 8/8/2019 at 1:56 PM, Tonbo Karasu said:

When people say role locking what they are normally referring to is the fact that some cards (about 50 from the entire pool) have rules text on saying "___ role only", where ___ can be any of the 5 elements, or Keeper or Seeker.  There are 10 core roles: 'Keeper of' and 'Seeker of' for each of the 5 elements.  Thus those cards are 'locked' to either 2 or 5 of the basic roles.

At home or with your friends you can use any role with any Clan.  If you want to participate in any of the organised play events, your deck needs to use one of the two roles that is currently attached to that Clan, as specified on the FFG website Evilgm previously quoted.

There are (4, but soon more) other roles that came out in clan packs: 'Support of the clan'.  These give more influence for deckbuilding but don't count as Keeper, Seeker or any element, so stop you from accessing the various role-locked cards.

Actually discussion of role locking is almost always about clans being locked into roles.

1 hour ago, HamHamJ2 said:

Actually discussion of role locking is almost always about clans being locked into roles.

Yes in so much as clans are on two official roles for organized events and that those 2 roles dictate which role locked cards they have access to.