Ryuneke

Republic Aces - How to?

I want to build an Aces list for 2 upcoming Hyperspace tournaments. With access to the N1 the Republic was granted with another decent I5 pilot - Ric Olé.

Yet I'm not sure how a competitive aces list is going to look like.

I got two lists in my mind:

1) 

Ric Olié (42)
Crack Shot (1)
R2 Astromech (4)

Obi-Wan Kenobi (47)
R2-A6 Astromech (6)
Calibrated Laser Targeting (4)

Anakin Skywalker (62)
R2 Astromech (6)
Delta-7B (20)
Total: 192

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Regen. Obi with CLT and R2-A6. 8 Point bid is enough imo.

2)

Ric Olié (42)
Crack Shot (1)
R2 Astromech (4)

Obi-Wan Kenobi (47)
Delta-7B (19)

Anakin Skywalker (62)
Delta-7B (20)
Total: 195

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

No regen for the Jedi but Obi is flying a 7B. This time only a 5 point bid.

What do you think about these lists? Do you have suggestions on how to build Republic Aces? 

Cheers!

Edited by Ryuneke

I’ve been playing this with decent success...

AniMaceRic_New

(62) Anakin Skywalker [Delta-7 Aethersprite]
(20) Delta-7B

(45) Mace Windu [Delta-7 Aethersprite]
(18) Delta-7B

(42) Ric Olié [Naboo Royal N-1 Starfighter]
(6) Adv. Proton Torpedoes
(5) R2-C4

Total points: 198

Get target locks ASAP (Range control must be spot on) Pincer attack from multiple angles on a single target then run away.  Rinse and repeat.  Stay out of kill boxes.  Really fun to fly...

I’ve been flying against those ships with slightly different load outs, baseline is:

Ric Olié (42)
Crack Shot (1)
R4-P Astromech (4)

Anakin Skywalker (62)
R4-P17 (5)
Delta-7B (20)

Obi-Wan Kenobi (47)
Delta-7B (19)
Total: 200

imho Delta-7B is mandatory and those droids are great for staying on target.

My take on this archetype is less ace-y:

Ahsoka Tano (47)
Delta-7B (17)

Mace Windu (45)
Sense (5)
R4-P17 (5)
Delta-7B (18)

Anakin Skywalker (41)
Passive Sensors (3)
R4-P Astromech (4)
Proton Torpedoes (13)
Total: 198

(Ashoka and Anakin are personal favs)

Edited by polmoneys

This something I've started thinking about. Um-ing and ah-ing over putting this straight on the table when I pick my N-1 up this week. It's an obvious trick. Maybe too obvious.

And, as an Imperial/Scum ace player, these 2 dice defences scare me.

Flight School

(41) Anakin Skywalker [Naboo Royal N-1 Starfighter]
(6) Collision Detector
(5) R2-C4
(6) Adv. Proton Torpedoes
(4) Trick Shot

(47) Obi-Wan Kenobi [Delta-7 Aethersprite]
(19) Delta-7B
(2) R4 Astromech

(44) Plo Koon [Delta-7 Aethersprite]
(19) Delta-7B
(2) R4 Astromech

Total points: 195

Not leaning into the Jedi pilot abilities much, just efficiency I5s and a good trick. It's very much about how well you can fly it, I imagine.

Pushing it round the table, it's surprising what Anakin can do, the range of places he can be, particularly with Col Det. I'll be aiming to put him in an awkward place to open the shooting. If they target him, the Jedi can be decently seperate and still provide him a regenning focus to go with his evade. If he has an extra obstructed die on defence, that will be quite nice.

I should maybe factor a bit more of the Jedi abilities into my planning :D

Edited by Cuz05

Thanks for your posts! I'm looking forward to try out some of your stuff.

Last weekend I went to small Hyperspace tournament. We played only 3 games. I choose the I posted above

Ric Olié (42)
Crack Shot (1)
R2 Astromech (4)

Obi-Wan Kenobi (47)
R2-A6 Astromech (6)

Anakin Skywalker (62)
R2 Astromech (6)
Delta-7B (20)
Total: 192

Game 1 vs. Rexler / Delta Defender / Supernatural Inquisitor 

Playing against Defenders is really hard. With only one or two shots you're hardly doing damage. On the other hand they are pretty good counters against Rics ability. 
I dodged some arcs at the beginning. Ric and Anakin took some damage but where able to regen. Rexler lost only 2 shields. In round 9(!!) I was able to create a good killbox against Rexler and bring him down to 1 hull. Anakin finished him off, Obi + Ric took out the Inq.

Game 2 vs. 4 T-70s with Heroic and R4

I knew that this will be super hard. Ric was down to 1 hull after the opening engagement. Thankfully he had R2, so he was able to disengage and regen 2 shields. Anakin and Obi deleted one T-70 early on. R2-A6 is really powerful to get the bullseye for CLT. The Astromech also helps to not bump or intentionally bump into something. Sadly Obi blanked out and dropped down to 1 hull. Those CLT Jedi can die so fast... I won after Ric died and both Anakin and Obi where at half points. 4 T-70s are brutal. If my opponents red dice would have been better, he might have won the game.

Game 3 vs. Han and Corran

The easiest game because he only had a 6 point bid. With all my ships moving after Corran I was able to take him off the board early. Han killed Ric and shot Obi down to 1 hull but was killed by Anakin after that...

Conclusion

I really enjoyed flying these three ships togehter. Ric surprised me. He feels like a mini Defender with regen. Without R2 he would have died earlier in all 3 games.  4 points are a steal to regen 2 shields on Ric because of the chassis and his ability he will disengage sooner or later. Anakin is a beast, nothing more to say about him. CLT Obi-Wan was fun to fly because it synergizes really well with his ability. I considered regen on him as well but will stick with R2-A6: I found it better to being able to dodge shots completely instead of taking a damage to regen later on. The astromech also helps to get the bullseye.

At I5 or above, Jedi can reliably get Bullseye. With a focus, CLT is statistically better than 7B (unless you also have a TL - unlikely for uncoordinated Jedi other than Ahsoka). Plus, it saves a LOT of point.

With that in mind, I would suggest Anakin, Obi, and Plo, all with CLT, plus R4-P17 on Obi to give him action assistance. Then you could add a Gokd Squadron trooper, possibly with Ion Missiles, if you want to destroy your bid. Alternatively, R2s all around

1 hour ago, Greebwahn said:

At I5 or above, Jedi can reliably get Bullseye. With a focus, CLT is statistically better than 7B (unless you also have a TL - unlikely for uncoordinated Jedi other than Ahsoka). Plus, it saves a LOT of point.

With that in mind, I would suggest Anakin, Obi, and Plo, all with CLT, plus R4-P17 on Obi to give him action assistance. Then you could add a Gokd Squadron trooper, possibly with Ion Missiles, if you want to destroy your bid. Alternatively, R2s all around

I tried trip CLT Jedi aces and was not amazed. They were fun to fly but explode so fast. Even with the force you still can blank out and lose one ship right away. 

So after a couple of games I'd rather have 7B Anakin and Ric Oleeeeee instead of CLT Anakin and CLT Plo in my list. Ric survived longer and dealt more damage than my CLT Plo did...

I have a (probably wrong) theory that Ric Olie wants Fire Control System.  Maybe that's from back flying TIE Defenders, and these aren't TIE Defenders, but having passive rerolls on a ship which also gets passive defense mods just seems good if it ever gets to a 1-on-1 situation.

From playing around with trip CLT Aces (Obi/Ani/Plo) before, the Ric/Anakin/[someone] list I kind of want to try sometime is Ric, Anakin, and Plo Koon, all with R2 Astromechs.  With one CLT and one 7B, it'll come in around 190-197 points, depending on talents.  Plo passing focus tokens or stealing disarm tokens seemed wicked strong over the games I played (stronger than Obi, IMHO), but switching to a trio of N-1, CLT, and 7B just seems like it'd be stronger overall.

1 hour ago, theBitterFig said:

I have a (probably wrong) theory that Ric Olie wants Fire Control System.  Maybe that's from back flying TIE Defenders, and these aren't TIE Defenders, but having passive rerolls on a ship which also gets passive defense mods just seems good if it ever gets to a 1-on-1 situation.

From playing around with trip CLT Aces (Obi/Ani/Plo) before, the Ric/Anakin/[someone] list I kind of want to try sometime is Ric, Anakin, and Plo Koon, all with R2 Astromechs.  With one CLT and one 7B, it'll come in around 190-197 points, depending on talents.  Plo passing focus tokens or stealing disarm tokens seemed wicked strong over the games I played (stronger than Obi, IMHO), but switching to a trio of N-1, CLT, and 7B just seems like it'd be stronger overall.

FCS is an argument because he will disengage often. However in this list archetype I want to keep him as cheap as possible to have a bigger bid. I saw a couple of games where he had Predator. After all my games with Ric, I got the bullseye once per game and used crackshot right away. No need for Predator imo.

2 hours ago, Ryuneke said:

FCS is an argument because he will disengage often. However in this list archetype I want to keep him as cheap as possible to have a bigger bid. I saw a couple of games where he had Predator. After all my games with Ric, I got the bullseye once per game and used crackshot right away. No need for Predator imo.

4 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

I have a (probably wrong) theory that Ric Olie wants Fire Control System. 

I've been flying Ric with Daredevil. But also have Plo Koon in the squad to toss him a focus when he gets range 1 shots. FCS on Ric in that combo seems like a mean dude. May have to toss it in my squad.

5 hours ago, wurms said:

I've been flying Ric with Daredevil. But also have Plo Koon in the squad to toss him a focus when he gets range 1 shots. FCS on Ric in that combo seems like a mean dude. May have to toss it in my squad.

Daredevil is a talent I need to just break down and use sometime.  It's not a mathematical upgrade, but a geometrical upgrade, and those generally seem like they'll need time-on-table in order to be understood.

The two ships where it kind of makes sense in discussions I've seen lately are Ric Olie and General Grievous.  Ric is on fairly limited moves, due to wanting to go fast, plus he has passive defenses from Full Throttle.  General Grievous has passive red dice mods from his pilot ability.  So it seems like two ships which really need their position *now* and also can (to some extent) afford to give up an action otherwise spent on a token.

13 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Daredevil is a talent I need to just break down and use sometime.  It's not a mathematical upgrade, but a geometrical upgrade, and those generally seem like they'll need time-on-table in order to be understood.

The two ships where it kind of makes sense in discussions I've seen lately are Ric Olie and General Grievous.  Ric is on fairly limited moves, due to wanting to go fast, plus he has passive defenses from Full Throttle.  General Grievous has passive red dice mods from his pilot ability.  So it seems like two ships which really need their position *now* and also can (to some extent) afford to give up an action otherwise spent on a token.

It is really nice on naboo fighters. Its all I have been using. Increases time on target substantially and makes your moves less predictable. For instance instead of having to 3 bank in towards the action, you can 4 or 5 straight and then daredevil, kicking in Rics ability. Or even 3 bank away, and then daredevil in.

On Padme, her ability is important to the squad, so having daredevil is probably glued to her as far as Im concerned.

Havent used Anakin yet, but his ability allows you to roll while stressed since its not an action, so daredevil works on him too. And when not spinning, he can just dareveil and have force mod.

Edited by wurms

I've been really having fun playing around with both Padmé and Ric with Daredevil. Ric has the "spend evade to turn focus to hit" astro, which helps a bit towards dice mods (my biggest issue with the daredevil boost, really...)

At the same time, could see r4 astro helping with shedding some of that extra stress...

I have them paired with CLT Luminara and a generic Arc with 7th Fleet Gunner.

I'm trying to go for an all Delta/N-1 list.

I can fit 4 ship:

Ric Olié (42)
Daredevil (3)

Obi-Wan Kenobi (47)

Anakin Skywalker (41)
Daredevil (3)
Adv. Proton Torpedoes (6)

Luminara Unduli (43)
Sense (5)
Calibrated Laser Targeting (3)
Total: 197

With the APTs on Anakin to make up for the lack of his punch, as everyone else has options to get more eyeballs or dice rolls.

A 3-ship list of all 5s of...

Obi-Wan Kenobi (47)
R2 Astromech (6)
Delta-7B (19)

Plo Koon (44)
R2 Astromech (6)
Delta-7B (19)

Ric Olié (42)
Daredevil (3)
R2-C4 (5)
Total: 191

Seems also good (with a few points there for something else if desired).

I've come around to the Juke being too expensive, but that means I really need to practice Daredeviling.

Daredevil on Ric with either R2 or R4-P has been really good alongside to Jedi 7B aces. Zoom in, hit hard, then zoom past and escape and regen if needed, then do a big 180 turn with a hard 3 and hard boost that lets you keep an evade, then zoom in for another pass. R4-P lets you pull off those 4 and 5 straights after a red boost or T-Roll to pretty much guarantee the extra dice. It's much easier for opponents to shrink him to a normal N1 if he's limited to only 3-speed maneuvers because he's stressed. 

Also I think if you put Sense on Obi-Wan that eliminates most of the need for Anakin's I6 and dropping him down to Plo Koon saves 19 points (14 after adding Sense). 

Edited by Tvboy

16 hours ago, Tvboy said:

Daredevil on Ric with either R2 or R4-P has been really good alongside to Jedi 7B aces. Zoom in, hit hard, then zoom past and escape and regen if needed, then do a big 180 turn with a hard 3 and hard boost that lets you keep an evade, then zoom in for another pass. R4-P lets you pull off those 4 and 5 straights after a red boost or T-Roll to pretty much guarantee the extra dice. It's much easier for opponents to shrink him to a normal N1 if he's limited to only 3-speed maneuvers because he's stressed. 

Also I think if you put Sense on Obi-Wan that eliminates most of the need for Anakin's I6 and dropping him down to Plo Koon saves 19 points (14 after adding Sense). 

Really interesting points you brought up. 

I can drop Ani for 7B Plo+Obi with regen and still have a 7 point bid. Obi or Plo have sense. That looks good on paper.

I never played sense. So I got some questions:

1) I’m not sure how good sense is. It’ll cost a force charge to trigger at r2-3. Is it worth more than running a bid.

2) Anakin is a monster. I’m not sure if two I5 7B Jedi are better than 7B Ani and CLT Obi.

Edited by Ryuneke

My version:

W4 test 77N1

(19) Delta-7B
(6) R2 Astromech

(45) Mace Windu [Delta-7 Aethersprite]
(18) Delta-7B
(5) Sense
(2) R4 Astromech

(1) Crack Shot
(3) Passive Sensors
(13) Proton Torpedoes

Total points: 200

Crackshot is obviously not necessary and could be a bid. I've found that I really like blue hards with sense.

4 hours ago, Ryuneke said:

I never played sense. So I got some questions:

1) I’m not sure how good sense is. It’ll cost a force charge to trigger at r2-3. Is it worth more than running a bid.

2) Anakin is a monster. I’m not sure if two I5 7B Jedi are better than 7B Ani and CLT Obi.

Sense is cheap for what it brings to the table if you build around it. At R1 is free which means you can keep harassing one target without spending force. 

My current iteration has CLT Mace as the sense carrier and Ashoka to react to the revealed dial (her ability is bonkers). No bid so any of the 3 ships can act as blocker as usually my Anakin will move first. Uber flexible squad, stress is not an issue with Ashoka coordinating and if the block is a success CLT will trigger:

Ahsoka Tano (47)
Delta-7B (17)

Anakin Skywalker (62)
Delta-7B (20)

Mace Windu (45)
Sense (5)
Calibrated Laser Targeting (3)
Total: 199

In short,  I don’t feel Sense works in isolation but it really shines as a core ‘trick’ in some squads. 

Edited by polmoneys

I gave a pretty good demonstration of -how not to- in my game with them this week. It's a bit new to me.

Took overloaded Col Det, APT, C4, Trick Anakin with 7B Plo and Obi. No regen.....

Didn't really get the hang of it. Half attempting to fly the Jedi in R0-2 of Anakin, to potentially provide a regen focus + evade 1st strike, was counterintuitive to me and led to some neither/nor decisions on the dials.

So I neither flanked correctly, nor used their abilities to any effect....

2 green dice isn't really my style tbh, generally ends badly for me. Because I'm bad at X Wing and need occasional dice immunity to do well :D

Anakin with all the toys is bonkers though. His ability really does provide some very unique moves. I love it.

Pretty trivial to sit him on a rock of choice with all the nonsense benefits of Col Det and Trick Shot. Though its all very action choice dependent, and costly, to get the maximum benefit with him. I never fired the APT in the trial. TL on an I5 ship he couldn't shoot at R1, without a big blocker. R2-3 though, I could've 5 dice torpedoed into base level AG a couple times.

So I thought I might try this. 

NaBOOnakin

(6) Collision Detector
(6) Ion Torpedoes
(4) Trick Shot

(4) Calibrated Laser Targeting

(44) Plo Koon [Delta-7 Aethersprite]
(4) Calibrated Laser Targeting

(42) 104th Battalion Pilot [ARC-170 Starfighter]

Total points: 198

Who knows, I might even figure out what I'm supposed to do with it :)

Sense basically accomplishes the same thing as a bid except it work against I6s too instead of just I5s. You get to see where there ace is going to maneuver and set up a perfect block against them to take them out. Against lists that aren't moving after you, it's useless, but so is a bid in that scenario, and Sense will always work regardless of your opponent's bid. 

If you are getting a lot of work out of Anakin's ability then maybe he is worth the extra 19 points over an I5, but if you're mostly running him for his I6 then I think Plo Koon and Sense + 7B on Obi is better. 

Edited by Tvboy

Another thing that came to my mind when building Republic Aces is the comparison between Ric and a CLT Jedi. For example: Ric is 6 points cheaper than a CLT Plo or Mace. I’m not sure what ship can do more work. Might depend on your list. On the one hand CLT Jedi can explode so fast if you blank out or do one mistake. Rics a bit more forgiving. On the other hand Jedi have more time on target.