Sasajak

First Order ships (includes TROS spoilers)

So exciting time for the First Order... by my count FFG should be developing four FO ships.

The First Order Interceptor seen in Star Wars Resistance.

latest?cb=20181008162146

The Xi-class light shuttle seen in TLJ

latest?cb=20180812103337

The “Mark 2” TIE Silencer seen in the TROS trailer (does it have an official name yet?)

star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-trailer-rey-

The TIE Dagger as seen on the cover of the TROS visual dictionary (thanks to @Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun)

star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-the-tie-

With Silencers already existing and already being awesome I'm kinda feeling like three of these six (/vn2, /inFO, /dagger) are unnecessary. 

Of the two cheap crew carriers, I prefer the Xi Shuttle to the troop lander because it's prettier but I could see both happening. 

The Bomber is super needed and I want it. 

1 hour ago, Kieransi said:

With Silencers already existing and already being awesome I'm kinda feeling like three of these six (/vn2, /inFO, /dagger) are unnecessary. 

Of the two cheap crew carriers, I prefer the Xi Shuttle to the troop lander because it's prettier but I could see both happening. 

The Bomber is super needed and I want it. 

But FO needs more ships!!!!

FO just need something announced to keep people interested in playing/trying them. 

They've had no new ships announced since the Silencer in 1.0 and their counterparts in the game, Resistance, got 2 for 1 with the transport and pod and are up to 6 ships (3 of them being new since 2.0). 

Fun fact for the TIE Echelon is that it was going to be in Episode 9, it was concept art that had been approved before the change in directors. Though who knows, maybe it will get thrown into a background scene or the like, the Starspeeder 1000 from Star Tours made its way into TFA. 

19 hours ago, Crabbok said:

Meanwhile the resistance just gets old Y-Wings, X-Wings, and A-Wings.  Wonder how many actual "new" ships we'll see for the good guys in Episode 9. 

I'm honestly surprised they got even that much.  The Rebellion was a galaxy-wide movement supported by entire worlds.  The Resistance is small enough that a single assault reduced it to a group that can fit on a single freighter.

4 hours ago, JJ48 said:

I'm honestly surprised they got even that much.  The Rebellion was a galaxy-wide movement supported by entire worlds.  The Resistance is small enough that a single assault reduced it to a group that can fit on a single freighter.

The new republic is small enough that a single laser beam can annihilate it completely.

Just saying.

1 minute ago, ClassicalMoser said:

The new republic is small enough that a single laser beam can annihilate it completely.

Just saying.

This is another thing that never sat well with me.  Just how small is the New Republic?  I mean, something like a half-dozen worlds got destroyed, right?  Thinking in real-world terms, if an enemy simultaneously nuked Washington DC, New York City, and a couple other major US cities, it would certainly be a massive blow in terms of leadership, finances, and production; but does anyone honestly think that it would be such a knock-out as to prevent any retaliation whatsoever?  Where are the remains of the New Republic to at least bloody the nose of the First Order?

11 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

This is another thing that never sat well with me.  Just how small is the New Republic?  I mean, something like a half-dozen worlds got destroyed, right?  Thinking in real-world terms, if an enemy simultaneously nuked Washington DC, New York City, and a couple other major US cities, it would certainly be a massive blow in terms of leadership, finances, and production; but does anyone honestly think that it would be such a knock-out as to prevent any retaliation whatsoever?  Where are the remains of the New Republic to at least bloody the nose of the First Order?

Considering the events of 7 and 8 were immediately following the strike, we don’t know... yet.

12 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

That's not what happened, it lost its main power bases, like if DC, New York, and LA were simultaneously nuked. America is still here, but probably not as the USA as we know it now.

1 minute ago, Nyxen said:

That's not what happened, it lost its main power bases, like if DC, New York, and LA were simultaneously nuked. America is still here, but probably not as the USA as we know it now.

...isn't that exactly the example I used?

As much the Prequels are ragged on for having too much politics, there needed to be a bit more in The Force Awakens. :P

Anyhow...

The sense I get from reading about the books and such is that the New Republic was rather loosely organized (more like the United Nations--or maybe even the old League of Nations--than the United States), and Leia had been trying for years to get them to care about the threat of the First Order.  That's partly why Leia formed a separate (but somewhat associated) Resistance.  There wasn't much of an official Republic military, most of it was in the Hosnian System (rotating capitol at the time of the Starkiller Base Assault), and the events of 7 and 8 are all pretty quick.

4 hours ago, JJ48 said:

It’s not that they’re small it’s that the only military force the New Republic had was at Hosnian Prime. The Starkiller base attack effectively knocked out the NR government and its ability to effectively retaliate leaving them open to full scale invasion but that doesn’t mean the rest of the NR can’t defend itself as each member world would have its own planetary security force. It would take time for Leia’s Resistance to rally these worlds into a force strong enough to take the fight to the First Order. I reckon that’s what we’ll see in TROS.

I'm quite disappointed with the First Order designs that actually look to be making it into the movies vs the concept art. It feels like everything that they have actually put on screen has either been ugly (Dagger, Xi, Echelon) or incredibly derivative (TIE f/o,  s/f, both those interceptor designs etc.). The only really interesting, unique design they can claim is the Upsilon, and maybe the Silencer. Resistance is hardly any better, with only the bombers being anything close to unique.

Just generally feels like a massive missed opportunity.