Jump to content
splad

Now that the basic sourcebooks are done

Recommended Posts

I've been out of it for a bit so this was my chance to catch up somewhat with whats out there. I see now the basic class sourcebooks are done more era based sourcebooks are being produced also i notice a gear and gadgets book is on the way to which is very in line with the weg era productions, which for me is very heartening to see. I may not be a huge fan of the narrative dice but it has found its niche. FFGs production values have always been very good so for things to come full circle in the production is great to see. I've been tinkering with other rpgs of late hopefully going to get an Expanse and Torg game off of the ground speaking of the latter i was happy to see another kick starter launch for the Aysle expansion, If anyone is interested it can be found here:

But either way i digress. I am wondering where FFG will go from here with the star wars line of RPGs, i would love to see an x-wing expansion ie similar to the legends novels. But i ask the community what would you like to see?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plenty to write about the KOTOR era, or the TOR era following that.

By popular demand they might do Legends sourcebooks. Many,many options. New Jedi Order, Yuuzhan Vong, Legacy era perhaps?

Planet guides and new species are always fun.

Not sure if they would run the game into the ground when they go for First Order and Resistance era though? I haven't seen too many positive fan reviews lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xcapobl said:

Plenty to write about the KOTOR era, or the TOR era following that.

By popular demand they might do Legends sourcebooks. Many,many options. New Jedi Order, Yuuzhan Vong, Legacy era perhaps?

Planet guides and new species are always fun.

Not sure if they would run the game into the ground when they go for First Order and Resistance era though? I haven't seen too many positive fan reviews lately.

With the likelyhood of KOTOR becoming canon i think they may hold off for a bit. I would have liked to see an Official star wars rebels sourcebook to cover the series progression or perhaps a Rogue One sourcebook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, splad said:

I would have liked to see an Official star wars rebels sourcebook to cover the series progression or perhaps a Rogue One sourcebook.

While going into in-depth detail, both of those were covered in Dawn of Rebellion.  And given the existence of Wookieepedia and Lucasfilm-approved sourcebooks, there's really not much that FFG is going to gain from giving each of those their own individual books.

As for future products, it's quite likely that we'll be seeing something for the sequel/TFA era once Episode 9 comes out and the Skywalker saga is put to bed.  Given there's a time skip between 8 and 9 (much as there was between 4 and 5 for Rebellion Era and 2 and 3 for Clone Wars), there's good odds that said splat book will provide ideas for adventures run in between the destruction of Hosnian Prime and the concluding events of The Rise of Skywalker.

Heck, given we've got a ten year gap between TPM and AotC, FFG might even consider doing a sourcebook on the galaxy during that state of time, leading up to the events of the Clone Wars.  Then again, much of that detail is discussed in Rise of the Separatists.

I wouldn't get your hopes for the KOTOR games becoming proper canon, expect perhaps in very broad strokes.  Even then, it's likely to be a few years before FFG considers doing a sourcebook for that era, assuming they're still publishing new product for the line.  As you noted, they've pretty much covered the majority of the bases, with each line having it's own core book and each career in those books having theis own supplemental book.  That we're seeing a compilation book for gear is an indicator that the product's life span is drawing to a close.  Of course, it's anybody's guess as to whether that means FFG is going to simply stop producing RPG products and instead focus on the far more lucrative minis and card games, or if down the road they'll publish a second/revised edition of the books, tweaking the rules as needed given lessons learned over the the game's life cycle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to see more sector books. Coruscant (or Imperial Center), the Corporate Sector, Unknown Regions, Wild Space, Umbara, Mandalore, Deep Core. 

They could do organization books like a Rebel Alliance, Imperials, Black Sun, Zann Consortium, Crimson Dawn, The Pyke Syndicate, Bounty Hunter Guilds, The Republic, The CIS, First Order, Jedi Order, New Republic, etc.

More adventures for all three lines. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

I wouldn't get your hopes for the KOTOR games becoming proper canon, expect perhaps in very broad strokes.  Even then, it's likely to be a few years before FFG considers doing a sourcebook for that era, assuming they're still publishing new product for the line.  As you noted, they've pretty much covered the majority of the bases, with each line having it's own core book and each career in those books having theis own supplemental book.  That we're seeing a compilation book for gear is an indicator that the product's life span is drawing to a close.  Of course, it's anybody's guess as to whether that means FFG is going to simply stop producing RPG products and instead focus on the far more lucrative minis and card games, or if down the road they'll publish a second/revised edition of the books, tweaking the rules as needed given lessons learned over the the game's life cycle.

Kathleen Kennedy already stated they are going to mine KOTOR whether it be Rian Johnson (spit) or the GoT pair that will be doing it is not stated but yes it is happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Eoen said:

I like to see more sector books. Coruscant (or Imperial Center), the Corporate Sector, Unknown Regions, Wild Space, Umbara, Mandalore, Deep Core. 

They could do organization books like a Rebel Alliance, Imperials, Black Sun, Zann Consortium, Crimson Dawn, The Pyke Syndicate, Bounty Hunter Guilds, The Republic, The CIS, First Order, Jedi Order, New Republic, etc.

More adventures for all three lines. 

 

Absolutely i think you nailed some primary gaps in the library an updated comprehensive Imperial and Rebel sourcebooks would be very welcome. Also the Bounty Hunters Guild would be very cool much like GG10 from WEGs. Good call:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, splad said:

Kathleen Kennedy already stated they are going to mine KOTOR whether it be Rian Johnson (spit) or the GoT pair that will be doing it is not stated but yes it is happening.

And members of the story group said that they would be mining Legends for various elements, but also that they wouldn't necessarily happen exactly as the happened in Legends.

Case in point, Thrawn, who originally showed up post-RotJ in Legends, but in the new canon showed and then vanished prior to the events of Episode 4, all while following a rather different character arc.  Korriban also showed up on the new canon, with a new name (Morabund) and slightly different history than what Legends had established.  Jacen Solo and his descent into darkness was itself adapted into Kylo Ren, but in very broad strokes as Kylo's been a bad guy for quite a while and we never got to meet him prior to his joining the First Order, where Jacen's arc started out as a child, went on for a while, and he had a fairly short run as a villain.

So again, don't expect much more than a broad strokes interpretation as opposed to an exact retelling of how the KOTOR games played out.  It's very likely that the KOTOR film is going to take a different approach, simply due to having a different person in charge (film director as opposed to video game designer) and being a different medium (film vs. video game).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

And members of the story group said that they would be mining Legends for various elements, but also that they wouldn't necessarily happen exactly as the happened in Legends.

Case in point, Thrawn, who originally showed up post-RotJ in Legends, but in the new canon showed and then vanished prior to the events of Episode 4, all while following a rather different character arc.  Korriban also showed up on the new canon, with a new name (Morabund) and slightly different history than what Legends had established.  Jacen Solo and his descent into darkness was itself adapted into Kylo Ren, but in very broad strokes as Kylo's been a bad guy for quite a while and we never got to meet him prior to his joining the First Order, where Jacen's arc started out as a child, went on for a while, and he had a fairly short run as a villain.

So again, don't expect much more than a broad strokes interpretation as opposed to an exact retelling of how the KOTOR games played out.  It's very likely that the KOTOR film is going to take a different approach, simply due to having a different person in charge (film director as opposed to video game designer) and being a different medium (film vs. video game).

What you are saying isn't a revelation to me. The telling from one media to another is very self evident take the recent amazing 'The Expanse' compared to the book run. Glaring differences in context and story. Often budget restrictions and length of program dictate that transference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But whatever they do, I hope it will not involve too many repeats.

"Here's a new sourcebook about Species of the Galaxy. Three-quarters of them you already bought in all those other sourcebooks and splatbooks and adventures, but the other quarter, the new ones, will make this new book worth its money! Really!" *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Eoen said:

I like to see more sector books. Coruscant (or Imperial Center), the Corporate Sector, Unknown Regions, Wild Space, Umbara, Mandalore, Deep Core. 

They could do organization books like a Rebel Alliance, Imperials, Black Sun, Zann Consortium, Crimson Dawn, The Pyke Syndicate, Bounty Hunter Guilds, The Republic, The CIS, First Order, Jedi Order, New Republic, etc.

 

 

I would like this. Especially if FFG is allowed to create more original ships for the books. And hopefully they restat the Interceptor IV because the currents stats are pathetic. I'm guessing that whoever wrote them didn't realize that each capitalship weapon hardpoint in Edge of the Empire repersents multiple weapons. I don't know why the firing arcs are so restricted and the ammo supply so limited either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question that I have been thinking about is when is 2nd edition EotE coming out?  The game was released in 2012-2013?  It has already been 7 years. There have been many RPGs that jag switched editions at this time.  

I’ve been considering purchasing the EoTE core at the Local FLGS, but am hesitant to drop 60.00. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Sincereagape said:

Question that I have been thinking about is when is 2nd edition EotE coming out?  The game was released in 2012-2013?  It has already been 7 years. There have been many RPGs that jag switched editions at this time.  

I’ve been considering purchasing the EoTE core at the Local FLGS, but am hesitant to drop 60.00. 

I doubt we'll see a second edition any time soon. It's been barely a year since Unlimited Power, the last of the class specific sourcebooks, was released. They would be crazy to throw away the line so soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Sincereagape said:

Question that I have been thinking about is when is 2nd edition EotE coming out?  The game was released in 2012-2013?  It has already been 7 years. There have been many RPGs that jag switched editions at this time.  

I’ve been considering purchasing the EoTE core at the Local FLGS, but am hesitant to drop 60.00. 

 

Just now, ddbrown30 said:

I doubt we'll see a second edition any time soon. It's been barely a year since Unlimited Power, the last of the class specific sourcebooks, was released. They would be crazy to throw away the line so soon.

Exactly. There is still a lot of material to cover, including the Sequel era once IX RoS is out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sincereagape said:

Question that I have been thinking about is when is 2nd edition EotE coming out?  The game was released in 2012-2013?  It has already been 7 years. There have been many RPGs that jag switched editions at this time.  

I’ve been considering purchasing the EoTE core at the Local FLGS, but am hesitant to drop 60.00. 

If you're hesitant to drop $60 then this game may not be for you. lol.

Also, look around online. You can probably find it for cheaper elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AnomalousAuthor said:

If you're hesitant to drop $60 then this game may not be for you. lol.

Also, look around online. You can probably find it for cheaper elsewhere.

I already have the AoR core, beginners box, and GM screen along with a few of the other books.  No one in our group has the EotE core.  

Purchasing from the FLGS to me is about being apart of a local community.  I go into their store around once a week or once every other week to talk, chat, and play.  Call it a personal value, but when I can — I prefer to purchase from a FLGS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sincereagape said:

I already have the AoR core, beginners box, and GM screen along with a few of the other books.  No one in our group has the EotE core.  

Purchasing from the FLGS to me is about being apart of a local community.  I go into their store around once a week or once every other week to talk, chat, and play.  Call it a personal value, but when I can — I prefer to purchase from a FLGS. 

Fair enough. It was more of a joke at all our expenses anyhow. This game can be pricey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Xcapobl said:

But whatever they do, I hope it will not involve too many repeats.

"Here's a new sourcebook about Species of the Galaxy. Three-quarters of them you already bought in all those other sourcebooks and splatbooks and adventures, but the other quarter, the new ones, will make this new book worth its money! Really!" *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*

Isn't that exactly what we've been getting from Disney's movies, though?  So it'd fit the trend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take this fromm the Gear Up article, about the new Gadgets and Gear Sourcebook:

"This sourcebook gathers weapons, armor, attachments, and gear from all three Star Wars Roleplaying game lines including Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, and Force and Destiny. It also adds new pieces of equipment, including weapons and armor used by heroic and villainous characters whose deeds are whispered about across the stars."

Bold-faced emphasis is mine. How many pieces of gear will be a re-print, and how many will be new?

Don't get me wrong. There will likely also be a couple of new rules, perhaps something about modding, I don't think this will be a 75% old, 25% new situation. But the question stands; why reprint parts from all three of your lines, and not devote the book entirely to new stuff?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Xcapobl said:

 But the question stands; why reprint parts from all three of your lines, and not devote the book entirely to new stuff?

For much the same reason that Allies & Adversaries collected various NPC stat blocks from assorted books: Not everyone has the desire or funds to be a completionist for all three lines.  And there's a lot of gear spread out amidst all the splats for just one of the lines, much less all three of them, and some of those books aren't readily in stock.

There's also the long-voiced concern of both the power creep that comes with constantly creating new equipment as well as a simple glut of gear that a lot of players may well never touch either because it falls outside their character's wheelhouse or the basic gear in the core rulebook does the job well enough without adding fiddly new rules to the game.  By doing a compilation book of pre-existing gear, FFG can both alleviate some of the concern amidst veteran players/GMs who have most if not all of the books of yet more tech-stuff that may cause problems with the game, but also providing those newer or less affluent players/GMs with a selection of the good to be found in books that aren't readily available.

I hope I'm wrong, but I have a gut feeling that most of the new gear is going to focus around the one-of-a-kind weapons used by iconic NPCs rather than stuff that players can expect to have a reasonable chance to get their hands on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

For much the same reason that Allies & Adversaries collected various NPC stat blocks from assorted books: Not everyone has the desire or funds to be a completionist for all three lines.  And there's a lot of gear spread out amidst all the splats for just one of the lines, much less all three of them, and some of those books aren't readily in stock.

There's also the long-voiced concern of both the power creep that comes with constantly creating new equipment as well as a simple glut of gear that a lot of players may well never touch either because it falls outside their character's wheelhouse or the basic gear in the core rulebook does the job well enough without adding fiddly new rules to the game.  By doing a compilation book of pre-existing gear, FFG can both alleviate some of the concern amidst veteran players/GMs who have most if not all of the books of yet more tech-stuff that may cause problems with the game, but also providing those newer or less affluent players/GMs with a selection of the good to be found in books that aren't readily available.

I hope I'm wrong, but I have a gut feeling that most of the new gear is going to focus around the one-of-a-kind weapons used by iconic NPCs rather than stuff that players can expect to have a reasonable chance to get their hands on.

I never got for one why their was three lines in the first place it seemed chaotic or a chance to gouge the player for unnecessary core rule book purchases. I do agree that a condensed gear guide or faction guide would work wonders to stream line play instead of having to hunt down gear spread across dozens of books. Same goes for a race guide, ship guide etc maybe the emphasis was on ffg garnering extra money in  shoddy tactics than letting players have what they need at their finger tips.  I still can't fathom their reasoning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, splad said:

I never got for one why their was three lines in the first place it seemed chaotic or a chance to gouge the player for unnecessary core rule book purchases. I do agree that a condensed gear guide or faction guide would work wonders to stream line play instead of having to hunt down gear spread across dozens of books. Same goes for a race guide, ship guide etc maybe the emphasis was on ffg garnering extra money in  shoddy tactics than letting players have what they need at their finger tips.  I still can't fathom their reasoning.

The reasoning was simple, really. It allowed them to provide more detail about each given line's focus without skimping on "world-building" detail or game mechanic rules. If they had crammed all of it into a single core book, they would have had to cut out a lot of key "in universe world-building" information needed for role-playing the different types of characters in the setting in order to accommodate the game mechanics. As such, it would be heavily stripped down. By splitting it up into three lines, they could provide all of the rules needed for play without sacrificing any world-building and thematic focus, thus providing a much more complete game for each theme. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tramp Graphics said:

The reasoning was simple, really. It allowed them to provide more detail about each given line's focus without skimping on "world-building" detail or game mechanic rules. If they had crammed all of it into a single core book, they would have had to cut out a lot of key "in universe world-building" information needed for role-playing the different types of characters in the setting in order to accommodate the game mechanics. As such, it would be heavily stripped down. By splitting it up into three lines, they could provide all of the rules needed for play without sacrificing any world-building and thematic focus, thus providing a much more complete game for each theme. 

I'm going to agree to disagree with you on that:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Subhntr said:

Isn't that exactly what we've been getting from Disney's movies, though?  So it'd fit the trend.

What's this supposed to mean? Are you upset that Star Wars movies are still set in the Star Wars universe with Star Wars aliens and ships and stuff?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...