Sign in to follow this  
dominosfleet

TheWarStore.com heads up

Idk where you guys pre-ordered your SSD's from but if it was from thewarstore you might want to shoot an email over. I was curious this morning with the SDCC news so I went on their website to look up my pre-order, turns out they're going out of business which they announced back in May but I only put in an order or two a year with them.  I tried checking their order tracker but it's a mess(unable to locate order) so I emailed them asking about it and I received what I believed to have been an automated response saying they were trying to get all of the orders out /refunded by "friday" but there was no date associated with that so who knows what friday they're talking about. I used a pre-paid visa to buy it from them (company I work for gives up to 300 in bonus for them each year for taking extra trainings, seemed like a good way to pay for it at the time) and I'm mildly terrified about how much of a nightmare that's going to be to get refunded if they don't end up fulfilling the order. 

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up.  

10 hours ago, dominosfleet said:

Idk where you guys pre-ordered your SSD's from but if it was from thewarstore you might want to shoot an email over. I was curious this morning with the SDCC news so I went on their website to look up my pre-order, turns out they're going out of business which they announced back in May but I only put in an order or two a year with them.  I tried checking their order tracker but it's a mess(unable to locate order) so I emailed them asking about it and I received what I believed to have been an automated response saying they were trying to get all of the orders out /refunded by "friday" but there was no date associated with that so who knows what friday they're talking about. I used a pre-paid visa to buy it from them (company I work for gives up to 300 in bonus for them each year for taking extra trainings, seemed like a good way to pay for it at the time) and I'm mildly terrified about how much of a nightmare that's going to be to get refunded if they don't end up fulfilling the order. 

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up.  

Ugh.  Domino...FFS.

I hope you get this sorted out ASAP...what a nightmare.

22 hours ago, Lord Ashram said:

Neal is a class act, I’d be shocked if he didn’t at least get you your money back.  Been ordering from them for years.

I had the exact opposite experience with him. Order once, when it was not what I ordered it was my fault, never again supported them. He did offer me my money back (- small 10% restocking fee) if I shipped the stuff back at my expense.

6 hours ago, CDAT said:

I had the exact opposite experience with him. Order once, when it was not what I ordered it was my fault, never again supported them. He did offer me my money back (- small 10% restocking fee) if I shipped the stuff back at my expense.

Didn’t your confirmation email contradict what you actually received?

On 7/21/2019 at 9:44 PM, Kani Kantai said:

Didn’t your confirmation email contradict what you actually received?

Before I ordered I asked if what I would get was what was shown, as what was shown was an out of production model, the reply was it was. Then when it arrived it was not the out of production model but the newer one. When I asked what happened, they said then that they did not have the older model as they do not have the product on hand, they just order when I ordered it and had it sent to me, and the photo they had up was something they took off the internet not really what they had.

No real returned email( just the automated) and no answer on the numbers lists. Semi freaked out but whatever, if they order directly and have it shipped I'm hoping theyre just buried in emails and had sent the order to ffg already. 

@CDAT i had a similar experience with battlefoam, i dont shop with them anymore because they sent me the wrong custom piece and then blamed me, they do have WAY worse of a rep than neal though. Ive shopped with thewarstore for a decade plus so i was sad to see him close. 

11 hours ago, dominosfleet said:

No real returned email( just the automated) and no answer on the numbers lists. Semi freaked out but whatever, if they order directly and have it shipped I'm hoping theyre just buried in emails and had sent the order to ffg already. 

@CDAT i had a similar experience with battlefoam, i dont shop with them anymore because they sent me the wrong custom piece and then blamed me, they do have WAY worse of a rep than neal though. Ive shopped with thewarstore for a decade plus so i was sad to see him close. 

I have never had anything but great service with battlefoam, but have also never done anything custom with them.

I am also sad to see any game store/group go under even if I will not use them or trust them at all, because other have different experiences like yours. Also if they stick around maybe they will try to fix what they have done.

Posted (edited)

So, an update to this. I tried getting a hold of him a couple more times on the phone over the week. first try today i actually got him but it threw me off because he just answered with his last name instead of the store's or his first. I said "oh, i must have the wrong number" and hung up. Looked over previous emails and immediately hated myself, tried calling several times over the next couple hours, then once more about 30 mins ago and he answered again.

I explained the situation and he pulled up the order info. He said he hadn't ordered the item (so i won't be getting that in the mail sadly) and that it was too late to refund the CC (I pre-ordered it on jan 2) but that he could mail me a check. SO, I "should" be getting a check sometime next week...hopefully. I'm about 96% this is going to have a good resolution but it's been kind of a nightmare. I'll update this again when i get the check or next friday with more info. 

Edited by dominosfleet

Update 2

Followed up with Neal today because I hadn't received the check yet, turns out he hadn't sent it out yet. He asked me to stay on the phone while he wrote it up and put it in the mail box. Here's hoping, but I'm honestly pretty doubtful though I'd obviously prefer to be wrong. 

On 8/15/2019 at 9:07 AM, Kani Kantai said:

Sort of makes a mockery of their whole “customer first” soliloquy complete with cartoon Viking.  There is retiring and there is just giving up.

I just don't get how all of this happened. It's been nearly a month into me trying to get a hold of him regarding this and the issue hasn't been resolved, it just boggles my mind at how difficult it is to get a refund for a product he decided to not provide. 

On 7/20/2019 at 10:26 AM, bigwebb24 said:

Not going under.  Neal is retiring and has chosen to close the store.

Apparently he's still going to be working, just no longer doing this store. At least that's what he said on the phone when I spoke with him. 

Bummer, an end of an era for me.  Been ordering with The Warstore for more than a decade.  Miniaturemarket on the other hand is getting slower and slower.  I ordered some stuff during their warehouse sale and they took almost two weeks just to process my order.  I emailed them after a week, they said "we had more orders than we expected, here's 100 reward points for the wait" (a whole $1.00 off my next order, lol) and it still took them nearly a week more to process it.  So with shipping time, it's 2.5 weeks for a couple of decks of cards from a couple states away.

11 hours ago, AegisGrimm said:

Bummer, an end of an era for me.  Been ordering with The Warstore for more than a decade.  Miniaturemarket on the other hand is getting slower and slower.  I ordered some stuff during their warehouse sale and they took almost two weeks just to process my order.  I emailed them after a week, they said "we had more orders than we expected, here's 100 reward points for the wait" (a whole $1.00 off my next order, lol) and it still took them nearly a week more to process it.  So with shipping time, it's 2.5 weeks for a couple of decks of cards from a couple states away.

Just a reminder that there's no processing or shipping waits when you buy local at your friendly neighborhood game store.  Especially if you are courteous enough to pre-order your wants with them.

Posted (edited)

Well, I buy tons of stuff at my LGS', and have for 25 years.  But MM had a bunch of decks for an older game called Summoner Wars for 1/4 the retail price, so it was $15 for $60 dollars worth of product.  Plus it can be very tempting to shop online when my 2 'local' stores are 20-some miles and 36 miles (one way) away in opposite directions.  So I hardly feel guilty not buying local as despite the drive I have spent the majority of my hobby dollars for two decades locally unless it's on serendipitous deals that would never occur at my LGS, like when FFG had a fire sale on the At-43 and Confrontation miniatures games, but no one local had been interested in carrying either game since their inception.

Or like my personal rule of never buying anything at GenCon that I could just get locally, unless it's a spur of the moment great deal.

The Warstore was also a great boon to me when they used to sell plastic GW bitz, as I could at least enjoy a pale shadow of the insane GW bits service that used to exist.  Neal was awesome.

Edited by AegisGrimm

On 8/18/2019 at 6:24 PM, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Just a reminder that there's no processing or shipping waits when you buy local at your friendly neighborhood game store.  Especially if you are courteous enough to pre-order your wants with them.

Lol MM is one of my local friendly neighborhood game stores ( i live in stl). They're alright, I'm not the biggest fan. The other two stores w/in 25 miles don't sell armada any longer, they're actually starting to carry a pretty light X-wing load and one of them discontinued legion (too be fair that one's mostly a comic store but is HUGE into card games and was carrying a large amount of x-wing / armada stuff 2 years back). 

22 hours ago, AegisGrimm said:

Neal was awesome.

He really was, I've shopped with the guy for what feels like forever which is what's making this situation even more frustrating. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/19/2019 at 12:24 AM, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Depends if your closest LGS in Wayland games 😕

When you go in there you can only buy whats on the shelf (which isnt a 1/3rd of what they stock!)... everything else thats on the website can only be purchased through the website... their wearhouse is the same building!

Oh yeah ... pre-orders through Wayland....😂🤣😂 just dont add anything else to the order or else you'll not get any of it!

Edited by slasher956

So, a week or so later and over a month into this mess and still no check. I'm pretty sure I'm giving up, I've tried calling him several times thursday/friday and a couple more today to no answer. If i end up getting the check in the mail I'll come back and update but at this point I think I'll just call the 170 a loss, which is a frustrating end to the generally positive interactions I had with the company. 

3 minutes ago, dominosfleet said:

So, a week or so later and over a month into this mess and still no check. I'm pretty sure I'm giving up, I've tried calling him several times thursday/friday and a couple more today to no answer. If i end up getting the check in the mail I'll come back and update but at this point I think I'll just call the 170 a loss, which is a frustrating end to the generally positive interactions I had with the company. 

Have you considered contacting FFG about it? No idea if they'll help but I think in order to sell FFG product in your store you have to abide by their rules. One of which is not to rip off customers, FFG may be able to credit you either the SSD or a refund. Worth a try?

1 hour ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Have you considered contacting FFG about it? No idea if they'll help but I think in order to sell FFG product in your store you have to abide by their rules. One of which is not to rip off customers, FFG may be able to credit you either the SSD or a refund. Worth a try?

That's probably a good idea, I'll give it a try to night.