MasterShake2

There it is Luke and Vader article

20 minutes ago, LunarSol said:

Batman has upgrades for the models same as Legion.  They've even started printing them on similar little cards.  How many little cards you need mostly comes down to how unique you customize each unit.  Most things you take in multiples you take with the same basic loadout anyway and even the differences are often model based.  I can totally tell which unit has the med bot without having to use multiple stormtrooper cards. 

I'd argue that Batman is a skirmish with 5-9 units, and while a "unit" in Legion is made up of more models, you're only running a couple more "card entities" in Legion.  My point is just that in no way is Batman "a couple printed sheets".  Its VERY similar to Legion.  Easily one of the most similar comparisons of all the game systems I play.

I don't agree, but anyway, compare a small squirmish game system with that of a wargame and end saying they are very similar... And they don't print cards for upgrades, and as the game systems are VERY diferent, in batman you don' need the back of the cards to included even more info, in legion they do 

17 hours ago, Tubb said:

It is a problem of space, too much wasted space on table for every unit, and sometimes even the same unit with the same stats, but you got to have two copies of the same cards and same card addons because you displayed two of them. Every card has art, that is completely unneeded when you are playing, and thus the text has to be smaller.

And all cards together are way bigger than just one printed page.

And when you got a big rule book with all units in there you can plan your army better than when you are waiting for the next expansions to see fit your army...

you simply don't have ALL the cards from the game at the beginning, you have to wait YEARS to know how is it going...

Example: in every other wargame, you buy the BRB, then you buy the còdex or army book or whatever needed (IF needed, in bolt action is everything included in the BRB) for the army (or armies)  you want. You READ the lore, the background and see EVERY possible unit, and so you plan...

I'll do a space marine biker detachment, with lots of bikes and a medic as commander

OR

I'll do a jetpack great speedy army with tons of jumpmarines and some artillery to empty zones for the marines to enter

OR

I'll do a Great Britain army, with a lot of mortars and some commandos

OR

I'll do a parachute group (german fallschirmjäger), that will get cover from a panzer squad

And so you buy the needed contents for your decided and beloved army, and do an army that NO OTHER in the world has...

Try to do this when you buy a legion Starter set and two years after you still got only TWO infantry options... an scout army? how? A Hoth blizzard force? how?

card System without big rule book that gives you stats for armies and units is worse, because the cards appear through a time lapse of more than a year, and so every Player plays exactly the same. That's why you really want your new commanders so badly, because they are the only way to introduce variety... but it shouldn't have to be the way to go.

it's only been some 18th months and your days away from your 3rd troop option.

30 minutes ago, Tubb said:

I don't agree, but anyway, compare a small squirmish game system with that of a wargame and end saying they are very similar... And they don't print cards for upgrades, and as the game systems are VERY diferent, in batman you don' need the back of the cards to included even more info, in legion they do 

Needing to write down upgrades by hand and look up keywords in the rulebook is just clunky.  It massively slows the game down and requires you carry a hefty tome for no real reason.  If that's what you prefer just print the RRG and look up the rules that way instead of checking the back of the Legion cards.  It's the same info.

Also.... how long since you've played Batman?  Knight definitely prints cards for the upgrades now and all the keywords are on the back of model cards so....

3 hours ago, LunarSol said:

Also.... how long since you've played Batman?  Knight definitely prints cards for the upgrades now and all the keywords are on the back of model cards so....

I am sorry, my version of the game is a BRB from a couple of years ago, but even last week I bought a two-faces starter set, and got a lot of resin minis from this year, and NEVER got another card apart from that of characters...

23 hours ago, LunarSol said:

Those moments are still about armies arriving to save the heroes.  They're not the focus of the story so much as an opportunity to swing the moment for or against the heroes, who the story then focuses on to react to the new situation.  Part of that is just because of the medium, but its still pretty rare for anything in Star Wars to be resolved by anything other than plucky loners saving the day.

The entirety of Rogue One is about nobodies joining together to fight, and the fleet/army arriving IS a massive part of the story.  Yes, the film focuses on main characters, but that's kinda how movies go.  The films focus on our heroes, while armies and navies provide key background support that IS a crucial part of the story.

By your logic, the X-Wing books aren't about the New Republic military or fighter squadrons because we have plucky loners saving the day as main characters.  The same applies to the Republic Commando novels and game.