MasterShake2

There it is Luke and Vader article

20 minutes ago, Lemmiwinks86 said:

But you can engage at least 1 of them and if you have force push maybe you can put the other into melee with you so they cannot attack other units that turn, also with Luke being able to attack and potentially destroy one of those units. I guess that card could get better if there come more units with Disengage.

Same as above, Luke already has a potential to lock those 2 units, and very likely to even kill one of those.

I agree this could be useful in some cases.

You mean not keeping them from hitting you but improve the chance that you get blocks having the defense surge, right? Because with the card you're only preventing 2 units that are at range 1 of Luke in the moment you issue him the order from attacking.

I'm not saying that it's a bad card, just that it's too situational in my opinion and I'm trying to see why you'll want to include that card instead of Assault, Covering Fire or your commander's 3 pip.

You could stop 2 units from attacking then engage one unit normaly completly shutting down your opponents offence.

11 hours ago, Derrault said:

Yeah 4 hit points with worse saves, no immunity to pierce, no surge on attack, no pierce, etc.

The 40 points are much more valuable on Luke, he’s a better chassis, and with 7 dice more than capable of one shotting an entire enemy unit. 

Aye but what I'm saying is I can take old Luke and get almost all of that in addition to an extra squad

Now that we have ROTJ Luke, Han and Leia, it's getting downright bizzarro to have no ewoks with which to ally them.

New Luke would be a great head-swap to make a mini of one's Jedi RPG character, with an operative slot that's more befitting of a Jedi in hiding.

New Darth Vader is good to fit a new mini into my Hoth lists: all the Hoth units are at a premium so saving any points on any potential model is huge for me. I might sell the figure and just use the cards with my already painted guy. Not like Vader's take long to paint.

8 hours ago, Tirion said:

Aye but what I'm saying is I can take old Luke and get almost all of that in addition to an extra squad

Yeah, the point is that those 40 points go farther, providing more value, on the chassis of Luke than they do on a basic unit of troopers.

35 minutes ago, Derrault said:

Yeah, the point is that those 40 points go farther, providing more value, on the chassis of Luke than they do on a basic unit of troopers.

I guess we will have to wait and see who is right. I made this argument when Legion first came out about the T-47 and now the T-47 is sitting on my shelf. 

17 hours ago, naitsirk said:

Agree with vader. You will not think luke is underwhelming when someone son of skywalker you with 8 attack dice (tenacity) that can disengage between attacks to vaporize 2 of your units. Then, when you call to revenge and will play your best 1 pip to kill him he is a jedi like his father before and you can't actually attack (potencially wasting implacable, son of skywalker or now you will die...)

You can't move in between Son of Skywalker attacks. You pretty much can't do in anything in between Son of Skywalker attacks.

13 hours ago, Lemmiwinks86 said:

But you can engage at least 1 of them and if you have force push maybe you can put the other into melee with you so they cannot attack other units that turn, also with Luke being able to attack and potentially destroy one of those units. I guess that card could get better if there come more units with Disengage.

Same as above, Luke already has a potential to lock those 2 units, and very likely to even kill one of those.

I agree this could be useful in some cases.

You mean not keeping them from hitting you but improve the chance that you get blocks having the defense surge, right? Because with the card you're only preventing 2 units that are at range 1 of Luke in the moment you issue him the order from attacking.

I'm not saying that it's a bad card, just that it's too situational in my opinion and I'm trying to see why you'll want to include that card instead of Assault, Covering Fire or your commander's 3 pip.

Also consider that Luke's new 3-pip completely shuts down the 1-pip of many other commanders. Palpatine, Grievous, and other Lukes would be very unhappy if you timed it right!

4 hours ago, R3dReVenge said:

I guess we will have to wait and see who is right. I made this argument when Legion first came out about the T-47 and now the T-47 is sitting on my shelf. 

I mean, if that’s the case than Luke’s a dead letter already because of Sabine.

Somehow, I doubt it; there will always be a sufficient number of people who like Luke and want to play him; which means he’s always going to see success, simply by dint of ubiquity.

On 7/19/2019 at 5:59 PM, Tirion said:

They are....

No, they're not.  We've barely got the initial release stuff announced, and they drop this.  Which means that even if they don't release it in order (ie, this stuff in October), the Clone Wars factions will have a solid two month gap where they won't get new units in their first few months of play, while the the GCW units will.  This wouldn't have been a problem if they wait til the Clone Wars factions have a few waves released and the new factions can begin to be competitive (thinking December at the earliest) but most certainly is a problem in the first couple months after their release. 

10 hours ago, nashjaee said:

Also consider that Luke's new 3-pip completely shuts down the 1-pip of many other commanders. Palpatine, Grievous, and other Lukes would be very unhappy if you timed it right!

On the flip side, Palpatine's 2 pip is guaranteed to drop 4 suppression on Luke if timed right against that card.

A lot of heads games going on with that duo.

12 hours ago, Derrault said:

I mean, if that’s the case than Luke’s a dead letter already because of Sabine.

Somehow, I doubt it; there will always be a sufficient number of people who like Luke and want to play him; which means he’s always going to see success, simply by dint of ubiquity.

I've been war-gaming for about a decade now and I've found that people will always run what they want to run and that's awesome. Don't let someone tell you not to run what you think is cool. I just prefer optimizing my lists and it's my subjective opinion that Commander Luke > Operative Luke. 

Luke provides a fast moving, cheap hammer that can cause significant damage and act as a distraction. One of his greatest strengths is his cost of 160 points. Operative Luke just makes him bulkier and hit harder at the cost of 40-50 points (that extra force slot will further increase the cost difference). 

5 hours ago, Alpha17 said:

No, they're not.  We've barely got the initial release stuff announced, and they drop this.  Which means that even if they don't release it in order (ie, this stuff in October), the Clone Wars factions will have a solid two month gap where they won't get new units in their first few months of play, while the the GCW units will.  This wouldn't have been a problem if they wait til the Clone Wars factions have a few waves released and the new factions can begin to be competitive (thinking December at the earliest) but most certainly is a problem in the first couple months after their release. 

Not how that will go down my friend. 

These will release in October or November along with wave 1 or 2 of clone wars (will be announced at gencon). These were only announced now because of the marketing sanfu with alliance. 

These will not be released by themselves, these are part of an effort to keep gcw players happy during the cw catch up period.

Posted (edited)

Anyone else here tired of seeing comment after comment only related to rules, dices, more rules, how rules interact, how that rule combine with that card, how that points allow me to take those other rules, how that new rule will make a pay-to-win combo...? 

No story-telling players here? 

NO one cares about repetition and redundancy having a whole Galaxy available???? 

Don't want to offend Anyone, it is just the feeling that persons that want to make a beautiful and lorewise accurate star wars army are being left aside in favor of metagamers that don't give a **** about aesthetics, variety, realism, lore... But everytime someone asks in a poll why you play legion people that take it mainly as a game and just take units for better rules are minority...  I don't understand where are they now. Ffg only listen to that other metaplayers? I am sorry I don't understand most production choices made in this game... 

Edited by Tubb

I think new Luke looks really, really good (of course more expensive - but worth it) - gives interesting choices for the Rebels.

I don’t like new Vader... but am interested to see what options the command cards yield. 

Gaming-wise I think it’s fine, a solid choice (although I prefer current Vader) but I really dislike Spur. The thing I like about current Vader is he seems like Vader. Walking slowly, ignoring everything around him, just being bad ***... having a little “jog” just feels wrong. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Tubb said:

Anyone else here tired of seeing comment after comment only related to rules, dices, more rules, how rules interact, how that rule combine with that card, how that points allow me to take those other rules, how that new rule will make a pay-to-win combo...? 

NO one cares about repetition and redundancy having a whole Galaxy available???? 

Don't want to offend Anyone, it is just the feeling that persons that want to make a beautiful and lorewise accurate star wars army are being left aside in favor of metagamers that don't give a **** about aesthetics, variety, realism, lore... But everytime someone asks in a poll why you play legion people that take it mainly as a game and just take units for better rules are minority...  I don't understand where are they now. Ffg only listen to that other metaplayers? I am sorry I don't understand most production choices made in this game... 

It was made mention that now players could run the core four, so that’s something deeply in favor of story-telling. 

Edit: And dropping Vader’s base price by 30 points makes it much more likely that a player can run Emperor/Vader lists. 

Edited by Derrault

7 hours ago, Tubb said:

Nah bro. You love that GCW fetish. Imps and Rebs fo lyf!

Thinking of scatter in force throw i wish represent when vader distract his enemies throwing multiple objets around.  Looking at the attack (2 black no surge) is only 1 hit average so my guess is scatter lets trigger multiple attacks when hit.  Perhaps each hit trigger another attack against diferent unit in range.  This way is a kind of supression party around vader while advance. This will combo with fear and master of evil pretty well. 
In the article it says fear is one of the best tools vader have so it makes sense to me

12 hours ago, Tubb said:

Perhaps playing the roleplaying game Fantasy Flight makes would be better for you then.   Or even Imperial Assault.  

If you want play a thematic game play Rebels with only 200 points while the empire has 800..  see how that goes.   

It is also hard to play a story-telling game with rebels and Empire..  I mean, how many times did we see Rebel on Rebel and Empire on Empire action?   

17 hours ago, Tirion said:

Not how that will go down my friend. 

These will release in October or November along with wave 1 or 2 of clone wars (will be announced at gencon). These were only announced now because of the marketing sanfu with alliance. 

These will not be released by themselves, these are part of an effort to keep gcw players happy during the cw catch up period.

Let us hope.  Thus far FFG hasn't proven willing to drop more than two expansions on the same day. (Since the initial release, has that happened at all?  Only time I can think of was the AT-ST down and the two latest Operatives, and that came off as a result of taking a month off more than anything else)  Either these will be spaced out over two months with a single CW release with each, or they'll drop at the same time, and nothing else will drop with them.  The latter sounds more realistic to me than the former.

14 hours ago, Tubb said:

It sounds like you should be playing an RPG and not a competitive wargame, or at least playing the competitive wargame how you want without ******** on other people's preferences. If you're tired of people talking about card and rule interactions, you should probably not be in those communities which are largely about those discussions.

15 hours ago, Tubb said:

We had a whole sidebar on how exciting it will be to be able to run the Falcon crew.  Someone even mentioned that having Endor Luke/Leia/Han/technically Chewie makes them really want the Ewoks to fill out the army.