ChesterBlack

Is Carolyn Fern starter deck legal?

I keep checking FFG's suggested starter deck for Carolyn Fern, and I always get to the same conclusion : it cannot be legal.

Is it an error in the starter deck, or am I getting something wrong?

The problem is as follow : 17 mystic/seeker cards that don't heal horror, and 1 mystic card healing horror. Consequently, it doesn't respect the 15 cards limit on mystic and seeker.

I didn't find any post about it, and it keeps puzzling me (even built the deck from scratch 4 times on arkhamdb, counting every cards and checking which ones heal horror).

Thanks,

Posted (edited)

I think you're right. Bad form, FFG. 

As for why no-one has noticed before, it probably comes down to the FFG starter decks being rubbish and no-one ever using them, especially outside of the core set. That "strategy advice" is kind of hilariously bad too...

Edited by Allonym

I noticed the error when it came out. I mention the error you noticed to FFG in February and Matthew Newman thanked me for pointing out the errors mentioned that a revised version would be posted in a week but that never happened.

At the same time, I also pointed out that Marie Lambeau does not list her Mystifying Song but that error is easy to resolve since you just add that card and change the total event cards from 11 to 12.

I do not think there has been one Starter Decklists version that did not have at least one error, and each time I have pointed out the errors, and except for this time, they have been corrected.

3 hours ago, Turtlefan2082 said:

Are you guys trying to download the player deck lists found in the player resources of the game page?

That is what is being discussed, yes. Unless it has been stealth-updated, the Carolyn deck in it is illegal. Sure it's easy enough to make it legal, but that is definitely not something a brand new player should even have to be thinking about!

Posted (edited)

While I agree I also don't think it's the end of the world considering the deck is hardly optimal.  I wouldn't feel like I cheated if I did well with that deck.  Quite the opposite.

Edited by phillos

It contains more than 15 seeker/mystic cards that do not heal horror. 

It's pretty galling since it would be easy to fix while still maintaining the one core + TCU base expansion restriction and also making it a far better deck - strip out the worthless Tome assets and Research Librarian and replace them with Delay the Inevitable and a second Fingerprint Kit (and while you're at it, swap Hyperawareness for Arcane Studies and swap the Knife for another neutral skill or something, honestly you could make quite a few changes to make a better deck even with the hugely limited card pool).

As for Fearless, as it is a Mystic card that heals horror, it does not count towards the 15.  That being said, the list is still illegal.  To fix this, maybe swap a copy of connect the dots for another fearless

1 minute ago, Turtlefan2082 said:

As for Fearless, as it is a Mystic card that heals horror, it does not count towards the 15.  That being said, the list is still illegal.  To fix this, maybe swap a copy of connect the dots for another fearless

No-one mentioned fearless. There are 17 non-horror-healing Seeker/Mystic cards in the starter decklist. 

Regardless, the lists are designed for a single core set and the TCU base set, so a second copy of Fearless would be inappropriate.