arnoldrew

Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader Operative packs leaked

Someone posted a screenshot from the Alliance site showing upcoming Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker Operative packs on the Legion Facebook page. Seems like a weird choice to me, though I'm not going to complain about getting new stuff. Luke has a green saber and the poses look different so it should mean new minis. It would be interesting to get commander and operative cards in there but I could totally see only the "ESB" Luke being a commander and the "RoTJ" Luke as an operative.

Also, maybe the included cards will be usable by OG Vader as a kind of "fix?" I don't think he's that bad, but he could use a boost. I'm tired of fighting Veers and Krennic.

Super interesting...I would guess they'll be cheaper? I mean, surely they won't print a 200 point Operative Vader lol

I would be very very very interested in a much cheaper Operative version of Vader to run with Veers or Krennic

Just my musing, but I wonder if this means FFG plan to pull the GCW starter from production in favour of CW one.  It seems to me it would make some sense from a business/sku stand point since the contents are duplicated in unit boxes anyway - except for Vader and Luke.

3 minutes ago, jocke01 said:

Interesting to be sure, I would love a badass sculpt of rotj Luke. However this is a warning sign that we will get 1.0 era x-wing fixes and arms race.

I could be wrong so fingers crossed.

I am hoping they learned their lesson and while some were learned after the release of Legion (I think any new war game they release will have cost/upgrades based from an app) they are much smarter now.

Just now, Kwatchi said:

Just my musing, but I wonder if this means FFG plan to pull the GCW starter from production in favour of CW one.  It seems to me it would make some sense from a business/sku stand point since the contents are duplicated in unit boxes anyway - except for Vader and Luke.

I highly doubt that.   If FFG didn't do army starter boxes for separate CIS and Republic, they aren't likely to do something like that for the Rebel and Empire.   If people don't like an era, or favour one more than others, they can buy that box.  

These new operative packs are going to be built differently.  Luke is clearly Jedi Knight Luke, and this lets you have the Trilogy characters all in one place.   

Having an Operative Vader frees up your command scheme as you don't have to issue orders from him.   Also, if Vader has 6 cards you can choose from, you don't know what you’ll get - and I hope the different Vader versions can mix and match.   The more command cards we have, the better, as then it doesn't come a defacto choice of what we will face.   Makes the one pip Imperial generic card more useful - especially with operative Vader.

One thing I bet this Vader is geared for is hunting Jedi.   I can all but guarantee he will have the Jedi Hunter keyword that Grievous has.  

Well they are not leaders, so I would expect their operative cards to only issue a command to them and their leader cards not be usable. Otherwise they'll get dinged by costing more points. Watered down version of Luke and Vader would get them on more tables, so this is a good thing.

5 minutes ago, Mep said:

Well they are not leaders, so I would expect their operative cards to only issue a command to them and their leader cards not be usable. Otherwise they'll get dinged by costing more points. Watered down version of Luke and Vader would get them on more tables, so this is a good thing.

Operative cards don't only issue orders to themselves by default. In fact, 33% of them issue orders to someone who isn't the Operative.

6 minutes ago, Mep said:

Not sure Luke has trouble getting on the table ;)

34 minutes ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

Super interesting...I would guess they'll be cheaper? I mean, surely they won't print a 200 point Operative Vader lol

I would be very very very interested in a much cheaper Operative version of Vader to run with Veers or Krennic

Or palps

Well, people were wondering how Rebels would get access to the "Hope" card with Luke's face on it...

Honestly, really good idea from FFG - unique characters are already classed that way as a nature, and this does mean you can make a new version of that character which does something different while still possibly including cards which apply to both versions. Since "Darth Vader Only" would work on Command and Ops. 

1 hour ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

My biggest hope with these is that the Command cards therein can be interchanged with existing Vader and Luke Command cards.   

Also, as posted above, I am 99% certain (gut feeling) that this new Vader is inquisitor mode Vader - where he hunts down Jedi.   Expect the Jedi Hunter keyword.

No such luck. 

Commander-specific command cards are identified by an image in the upper-right corner that matches the image on that commander’s unit card and by the name of that commander appearing below the name of the command card.

2 minutes ago, FSD said:

No such luck. 

Commander-specific command cards are identified by an image in the upper-right corner that matches the image on that commander’s unit card and by the name of that commander appearing below the name of the command card.

They could easily amend the rules to go by figure name only, aka "Darth Vader" literally, so he could use any of his 6 cards.

Tooearly to say one way or the other on how this might change (or not).

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tirion said:

Or palps

Gross. If you have those you should see a doctor.

1 hour ago, Cusm said:

I am hoping they learned their lesson and while some were learned after the release of Legion (I think any new war game they release will have cost/upgrades based from an app) they are much smarter now.

That is a matter of opinion. Apps should be optional not required the way I see it. What is best is, print them in the product, amend them online for those that keep up with the latest and greatest. The product should work when you buy it. And it should work after the website goes dark someday. The rulebook in the core being useless without the RRG is enough of a PITA as it is. Not everyone lives in tech bubbles.

1 hour ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

Operative Vader is Hoth-compatible. I'm in.

I am also very glad that this means FFG isn't opposed to costume changes for heroes. Though Vader sans saber is the only real "costume change" he can have.

Edited by TauntaunScout