gothound

Obi-wan Super deflect?

So Veers' and Leia's bombardment and firepower cards are thematically a heavy weapons/artillery/air strike, and have immune deflect, which means Luke and Vader cannot spend their dodges to gain surges. This is thematic, because let's face it, you might be able to block some fire with your saber, but bouncing it into Leia or Veers is far-fetched. Even high velocity ensures that a sniper round won't travel across the board and straight back into the shooter.

Then there is Obi-wan. Obi-wan ignores that because he does not have deflect, he has Soresu Mastery, which while he's using guardian, he can spend a dodge and reflect it back, since guardian cancels the sniper attack and it's pierce 1, high velocity key word. This is in addition to the regular wording of Deflect, without it's key word.

Thoughts on this? Does it seem theme-breaking that Obi-wan can deflect an orbital strike/walker fire/across map sniper shots?

1 hour ago, arnoldrew said:

I assume the RRG entry will explicitly say that anything that is immune to Deflect is immune to Soresu Mastery.

But if it doesn't - its correct?

I do find the idea of Obi-Wan lightsabre swatting a proton bomb back at Leia quite entertaining visually :D

1 hour ago, TheHoosh said:

Wait they can't use dodge to get the surge result, I just thought immune deflect made you immune to the damage if the dice came up with surges.

On a block roll for a defender , guardian specifically calls out that you are not the defender, however Obi-Wan unit card specifically calls out that you can use this on Guardian or if you are defending, and Obi-Wan is also immune to pierce. So if Obi-Wan rolls a urge on a sniper shot ,pierce is removed, high velocity doesn't apply because you aren't the defender allowing Obi-Wan to use his very specific deflect style ability to cause wounds to the sniper. Technically as the RRG stands just now this also works on bombardment since the ability being used isn't deflect its Soresu Mastery so veers and Leia can get DMG from their own bombardments, albeit I suspect as above the next RRG will have the same rules for Deflect on the keyword Soresu Mastery.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

But if it doesn't - its correct?

I do find the idea of Obi-Wan lightsabre swatting a proton bomb back at Leia quite entertaining visually :D

Now that you mention it,  Sab-bombs, flamethrowers, missles, gas grenades, other grenades, all lack immune deflect as well. 

Why didn't Windu spend a surge token and just bounce the fire back to Jango on the balcony?

Edited by gothound

Just now, gothound said:

Now that you mention it,  Sab-bombs, flamethrowers, missles, gas grenades, other grenades, all lack immune deflect as well. 

Why didn't Windu spend a surge token and just bounce the fire back to Jango on the balcony?

Clearly he didn’t have one TO spend 

52 minutes ago, gothound said:

He just rolled blocks and caught it with his cloak. 

57 minutes ago, gothound said:

That was the problem, he had a Surge token and he needed a Dodge token for Deflect.

14 hours ago, syrath said:

On a block roll for a defender , guardian specifically calls out that you are not the defender, however Obi-Wan unit card specifically calls out that you can use this on Guardian or if you are defending, and Obi-Wan is also immune to pierce. So if Obi-Wan rolls a urge on a sniper shot ,pierce is removed, high velocity doesn't apply because you aren't the defender allowing Obi-Wan to use his very specific deflect style ability to cause wounds to the sniper. Technically as the RRG stands just now this also works on bombardment since the ability being used isn't deflect its Soresu Mastery so veers and Leia can get DMG from their own bombardments, albeit I suspect as above the next RRG will have the same rules for Deflect on the keyword Soresu Mastery.

I was  specifically asking for using a dodge token to gain the surge block part of deflect for Veers and Leia's one pip card,  The OP seemed to indicate you can't do that against those cards, while I always read immune deflect is the damage can't be deflected back at you not that you can't use the surge block portion of deflect.

50 minutes ago, TheHoosh said:

I was  specifically asking for using a dodge token to gain the surge block part of deflect for Veers and Leia's one pip card,  The OP seemed to indicate you can't do that against those cards, while I always read immune deflect is the damage can't be deflected back at you not that you can't use the surge block portion of deflect.

No, the Immune: X keyword cancels all of the effect of the abbility it reffers to, not just a part. So when a weapon with Immune: Deflect is used, the defender can spend a dodge token, but Deflect won't trigger, thus, no changing defense surges to blocks.

Just now, Lemmiwinks86 said:

No, the Immune: X keyword cancels all of the effect of the abbility it reffers to, not just a part. So when a weapon with Immune: Deflect is used, the defender can spend a dodge token, but Deflect won't trigger, thus, no changing defense surges to blocks.

Thank you for the clarification