Sign in to follow this  
LostFleet

SSD Practical Questions

On 7/20/2019 at 4:54 AM, KiraYamatoSF said:

I like these ideas but boy I can imagine the encounters already.

"Oh nice case, what type of gun are you carrying"?

"Huh? Oh...its not actually a gun, its a giant miniature, i just carry it around in this."

"Oh...okay."

Or

"Nine one one, I would like to report a possible soon to happen shooting."

"Alright sir, where and why do you think this will happen?"

" I saw this guy walk into a comic store carrying a gun case"

And I thought buying and carrying Tackle Boxes and Tool Boxes was fun.

LOL 

I mean, in streetsboro they might show up on a call like that.  Our group actually had this discussion too. I may end up painting it nerf colors or painting a bunch of Star Wars stuff on it. But ultimately, I'm not too worried about being stopped by the police. I'm a CCW so that's something I gotta be okay with all the time. lol

On 7/20/2019 at 1:58 AM, flatpackhamster said:

That's right.  I started playing about eight months ago and was lucky enough to be able to buy a single pack of Imperial Squadrons I.  Then almost everything disappeared out of stock.  Someone was selling them on EBay for £35 inc delivery but I never got THAT desperate.  I have since acquired enough squadrons to be able to use them effectively without having to tell my opponent "So, the TIE Advanced are Bombers and the Interceptors are Fighters, oh except for that one which is ACTUALLY an Interceptor".  It got very confusing.

Still can't get Squadrons II or Rogues and Villains.  Or an ISD, of course.  Oh, or a Raider or Arquitens.  It's peeving.

I feel it. For the older players trying to get new people to make the weekly meets, FFG's apathy in regards to timely reprints has been a source of constant anger. 

1 minute ago, Darth Sanguis said:

I feel it. For the older players trying to get new people to make the weekly meets, FFG's apathy in regards to timely reprints has been a source of constant anger. 

Yep. Especially when the current recommendation is "If you can't find something at a LFGS...or online...Ebay it."

So both the retailer and FFG make no money on the sale/resale, less inclined to stock product...people don't see it on the shelves etc etc...

2 minutes ago, eliteone said:

Yep. Especially when the current recommendation is "If you can't find something at a LFGS...or online...Ebay it."

So both the retailer and FFG make no money on the sale/resale, less inclined to stock product...people don't see it on the shelves etc etc...

I'm very fortunate to have a store owner who is adamant about having our group at his store. He's gone out of his way to stock things even after FFG's nonsense. 

2 hours ago, Darth Sanguis said:

I just saw the Imperial Fighter I at my FLGS this weekend, they had to have gotten it from the wholesaler as it was not there a couple of weeks ago.

12 hours ago, Grinoch said:

How is everyone going to sleeve the ship cards? Is there a sleeve on the market that is pretty close?

10 hours ago, Darth Sanguis said:

If not I'll likely just take 'em to a kinkos or something and have them laminated. 

FFG Live in early April featured the SSD, and they showed the Ship Sheets next to some upgrade grade cards.  Through some creative measurements and comparisons, I came to estimate the Ship Sheet around 4x5 inches in size.  The best I found in April as a protective sleeve for a card that large was a 4x6 inch photo sleeve, but recently my FLGS began carrying a sleeve which might be about the right size for the sheet.   I'll test this theory when my SSD arrives, and if the sleeves work, I'll share the brand name with everyone here.

We have the official box size thanks to @Crabbok video, 

Box Size ( not the size of SSD ):

Length - 24 5/8 inches ( 62.5 cm )

Width - 15 3/4 inches ( 37.5 cm )

Height - 3 5/8 inches ( 9.2 cm )

SSD Actual Size

Length -  24 9/16 inches ( 62.4 cm )

Width -  8 1/4 inches ( 21 cm ) ( approximate measure due to curvetures on the model)

Height - did not specify

So this is huge :) box will not fit my carry-on. Either I have to put this in checked baggage or carry the box with me. I will probably have a great conversation with TSA ( aren't you too old for this ... )

here is the reference video :

Looks like the box may not be that great for carrying it, given Crabbok's was already tearing at the narrow parts. Tape might fix that up a bit, but perhaps a better option would be to cut out some of the plastic (the top left and bottom right corners when looking at the front) and find a better shaped, more durable box for it?

If the other player has Blockade Run, and you are the defending player, can your SSD deploy sideways, touching the side of the board in an attempt to form a massive broadside gunwall? With a small little ship blocking its movement to prevent the speed zero debuff?

On 7/21/2019 at 1:22 PM, Vergaul said:

Does anyone know if FFG corrected the engine color from blue to red/orange?

They’re blue. I get people are annoyed but I like my imperial fleet to match anyway so I prefer it.

Then again, it’s probably too expensive for me anyway so I’m not one to talk...

3 hours ago, Mad Cat said:

I just ordered one of these for my SSD from UK Amazon.  

image_85163.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HSF-defiance-single-shotgun-case/dp/B0162FTM78/ref=cts_sp_1_vtp

Internal dimensions are 85x30x12cm so with a 62cm model it should have space to spare for the base. 

Honestly Rifle/gun case is really the way to go. Mine arrived yesterday. It's perfect to hold two SSDs. 

3 hours ago, Ling27 said:

If the other player has Blockade Run, and you are the defending player, can your SSD deploy sideways, touching the side of the board in an attempt to form a massive broadside gunwall? With a small little ship blocking its movement to prevent the speed zero debuff?

I don't think you can. On page 3 of the Corellian Conflict manual in the "Short Player Edges Diagram", only the 3 foot short ends of play area are defined as the team edges. The sides are not defined as the team edges, so you wouldn't be able to deploy only touching the side. 

Best might be able to do is deploy in the corner and use your first few turns to maneuver into a blocking position.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ling27 said:

If the other player has Blockade Run, and you are the defending player, can your SSD deploy sideways, touching the side of the board in an attempt to form a massive broadside gunwall?

No.

From the new rules:

When a player deploys a huge ship, part of its base must be touching that player's play area edge.

From Blockade Run:

The 3' edges of the play area become the player edges.

So the SSD must be touching the 3' edge of the play area. You could deploy sideways, but you'd have to be deploying sideways along the far end of the board, and you wouldn't be able to shoot outside your own Deployment Zone (or even at any enemy ships just inside your Deployment Zone).

Also worth noting that even with Admiral Ozzel officer, an SSD cannot get into the opposing player's Deployment Zone while playing Blockade Run (with Ozzel the front can just cross into it, but not the rest). However, I still think Blockade Run can work as 2nd player with an SSD, by funnelling the opposing ships into your front arc through obstacle placement. You won't get any points, but it might make it easier for you to get points from them.

Edited by Grumbleduke

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Grumbleduke said:

No.

From the new rules:

From Blockade Run:

So the SSD must be touching the 3' edge of the play area. You could deploy sideways, but you'd have to be deploying sideways along the far end of the board, and you wouldn't be able to shoot outside your own Deployment Zone (or even at any enemy ships just inside your Deployment Zone).

Also worth noting that even with Admiral Ozzel officer, an SSD cannot get into the opposing player's Deployment Zone while playing Blockade Run (with Ozzel the front can just cross into it, but not the rest). However, I still think Blockade Run can work as 2nd player with an SSD, by funnelling the opposing ships into your front arc through obstacle placement. You won't get any points, but it might make it easier for you to get points from them.

What happens if I just deploy on my back edge instead? And spend 6 turns not fighting your SSD?

Edited by geek19

34 minutes ago, Grumbleduke said:

I win 6-5, 0 MoV as second player.

The issue being that in a game where your opponent is willing to not engage, it’s probably because they’re playing for tournament points and think they can catch up later.  You can’t; if you don’t have initiative, it’s not your choice whether you finish with 18 points.

Posted (edited)

Of course, if I'm a first player, and at a tournament I have even an inkling of a disengagement tactic LIKE a single SSD Blockade Run, I have only myself to blame if I pick it from their 3 objective choices.

Much like a Raddus Doll Hyperspace Assault

Edited by Drasnighta

Posted (edited)

Ill expect that some sort of errata will emerge eventually with a clarification on a few objectives. As I am sure the Rebellion in the Rim objectiges will be interesting.

Alternatively, it doesnt. And a strange lockout meta emerges. Things like Blockade Run, Fleet Ambush, ect. Objectives that outright cant be done if the SSD is first player. Example would be if someone solo ships SSD with Fleet Ambush, and has first player. They cant comply with the rules, so what happens?

Edited by Ling27

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Ling27 said:

Ill expect that some sort of errata will emerge eventually with a clarification on a few objectives. As I am sure the Rebellion in the Rim objectiges will be interesting.

Alternatively, it doesnt. And a strange lockout meta emerges. Things like Blockade Run, Fleet Ambush, ect. Objectives that outright cant be done if the SSD is first player. Example would be if someone solo ships SSD with Fleet Ambush, and has first player. They cant comply with the rules, so what happens?

The deployment rules of in the zone override.  If it can be placed in the Ambush zone without overlapping obstacles, it’s placed there.

Youd have to be complicit in setting the obstacles up so you couldn’t deploy there.  So that comes under “don’t break the game” 😁

Thr rest of the time is, basically, if you’re teaching out to stop SSDs with a lockout objective tactic - you’re going to fold to non SSD players 😁

Edited by Drasnighta