Sign in to follow this  
LostFleet

SSD Practical Questions

Posted (edited)

Since SSD is almost here, I have few questions regarding real time logistics.

1) how big is the box? ship itself is 24 inches (61cms ) but apart from that there is no info on the size of the box. 

I just edited this post to add new released info about SSD ( text in red )

Box Size ( not the size of SSD )  

Length - 24 5/8 inches ( 62.5 cm )

Width - 15 3/4 inches ( 37.5 cm )

Height - 3 5/8 inches ( 9.2 cm )

SSD Actual Size

Length -  24 9/16 inches ( 62.4 cm )

Width -  8 1/4 inches ( 21 cm ) ( approximate measure due to curvetures on the model)

Height - did not specify

2) I want to travel with it, yet 24 inches is a bit big for carry ons on airplanes ?

3) I pre-ordered mine but my cousin is waiting till the release. I am telling him to pre-order just in case they get sold out quickly, do you think there is a chance or there will be plenty around?

Edited by LostFleet
new info

1: Looking at the box sizes for other products I will assume 25-30% bigger than the model in length, however with the SSD I expect only a few inchs wider. Due to cardboard.

2: 24 inchs is generally the max, however if its arranged at an angle then you might be good? Most airlines will allow something within an inch or so of the size guide as long as it can squish a bit.

3: I dunno. Its a 200 dollar item. So a few of us broker people arnt picking it up right away.

9 hours ago, Ling27 said:

squish a bit.

That part kind of worries me 😌

9 hours ago, Ling27 said:

3: I dunno. Its a 200 dollar item. So a few of us broker people arnt picking it up right away.

For this one as in ISD, I think there will be a lot of outside of the game demand ( collectors etc) and stores I talked to did not reveal their stock number. Maybe your local stores reveal how many they get ( a few or plenty).

200 is expensive ( the one I preorderd go for a bit better price for 160) but if the stock numbers are low for stores and it gets sold out quickly then it will go up to 300 ( like squadron packs) and it will impossible to buy till reprints.

2 hours ago, LostFleet said:

200 is expensive ( the one I preorderd go for a bit better price for 160) but if the stock numbers are low for stores and it gets sold out quickly then it will go up to 300 ( like squadron packs) and it will impossible to buy till reprints.

Oh dear lord that is a horrifying thought.

My store mentioned they are getting like 6 of them?

3 hours ago, LostFleet said:

For this one as in ISD, I think there will be a lot of outside of the game demand ( collectors etc) and stores I talked to did not reveal their stock number. Maybe your local stores reveal how many they get ( a few or plenty).

If Arquitens go from $20 to $100 I'd expect a SSD to go for $400-500 at least, maybe more. Hopefully there is enough stock this doesn't happen. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JauntyChapeau said:

No joke.  I recall seeing squadron packs last year for $60-100.  I don't know WHO was buying at that price.

Sadly the answer to this was new players. During the time that the Fighter packs were out of stock our local group picked up 3 people. This was also during a predominantly fighter based (local) meta. So Imperial players were struggling without access to soontier, mauler and generic ties/interceptors to apply the CC squads to. Rebel players were also struggling with the same issue as older players with full sets had quite competent Sloane lists. 

I know a few guys that grappled with buying squad packs for $80.  Our group was fortunate enough to have access to spare squads though. 

If there's anything I fault FFG for over the last year or so when it comes to Armada, it's their extreme delay on squadron reprints. It wasn't the seasoned players that suffered for it, it was the new people we were struggling to incorporate into local groups. 

Edited by Darth Sanguis

1 hour ago, Darth Sanguis said:

If there's anything I fault FFG for over the last year or so when it comes to Armada, it's their extreme delay on squadron reprints. It wasn't the seasoned players that suffered for it, it was the new people we were struggling to incorporate into local groups.

The true reason I dont like Squadrons I'll bet. I wasnt able to keep up with my 6 TIEs, so it wasnt fun when older players would just stomp me with 10 Tie Bombers.

Like. I get it. Youve got multiples of each expansion. Why were squadrons not sold in 12 packs of a single squadron type?

Just now, Ling27 said:

Like. I get it. Youve got multiples of each expansion.

The annoying part is, from a production standpoint not reprinting these is pants-on-head ******. There's no reason for it. Almost any injection machine around could handle the part size. The time it takes to inject a bunch of simple pieces like that is insignificant. It doesn't take a lot of materials. They aren't even painted. 

I'm not gonna lie, I'm holding a bit of a grudge. 

14 hours ago, LostFleet said:

I would guess you're right here. If I didn't play Armada I would buy this solely as a model. If you're a Star Wars fan is there a better way to get a quality SSD at this size and price? I mean, I'm going to use it because I have it, but I'm buying it because it's going to look amazing. 

10 minutes ago, Grinoch said:

How is everyone planning on storing / transporting this monster? Is the box sturdy enough to reuse?

5 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Actually, I ordered this one. I think I should be able to fit both in there too.... 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K61EB7K/

4 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Close to, about twice the cost, but it's not assembled or painted.... 

https://www.korbanth.com/collections/models/products/m-i-ssd-model-kit

Yea, that isn't outside of what I would have eventually been willing to pay if FFG didn't come through. So to get it at half the price and have it actually be compatible with the game is huge. I've been dreaming about large scale battles with all my ships and I had no confidence we were getting it this year before the announcement. Between this and the epic battles for X-wing I'm not sure I could be more excited. 

I walk a few blocks to where I play and carrying a gun case around a Canadian city isn't advisable, cops might even look up from their phone. Would a duffle bag and the original packaging work for walking? Any other travel solutions?

Sounds like I bought my Squadron packs at the right time.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Sadly the answer to this was new players. During the time that the Fighter packs were out of stock our local group picked up 3 people. This was also during a predominantly fighter based (local) meta. So Imperial players were struggling without access to soontier, mauler and generic ties/interceptors to apply the CC squads to. Rebel players were also struggling with the same issue as older players with full sets had quite competent Sloane lists. 

I know a few guys that grappled with buying squad packs for $80.  Our group was fortunate enough to have access to spare squads though. 

That's right.  I started playing about eight months ago and was lucky enough to be able to buy a single pack of Imperial Squadrons I.  Then almost everything disappeared out of stock.  Someone was selling them on EBay for £35 inc delivery but I never got THAT desperate.  I have since acquired enough squadrons to be able to use them effectively without having to tell my opponent "So, the TIE Advanced are Bombers and the Interceptors are Fighters, oh except for that one which is ACTUALLY an Interceptor".  It got very confusing.

Still can't get Squadrons II or Rogues and Villains.  Or an ISD, of course.  Oh, or a Raider or Arquitens.  It's peeving.

Edited by flatpackhamster

14 hours ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Actually, I ordered this one. I think I should be able to fit both in there too.... 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K61EB7K/

I like these ideas but boy I can imagine the encounters already.

"Oh nice case, what type of gun are you carrying"?

"Huh? Oh...its not actually a gun, its a giant miniature, i just carry it around in this."

"Oh...okay."

Or

"Nine one one, I would like to report a possible soon to happen shooting."

"Alright sir, where and why do you think this will happen?"

" I saw this guy walk into a comic store carrying a gun case"

And I thought buying and carrying Tackle Boxes and Tool Boxes was fun.

Posted (edited)
On 7/20/2019 at 6:58 AM, flatpackhamster said:

That's right.  I started playing about eight months ago and was lucky enough to be able to buy a single pack of Imperial Squadrons I.  Then almost everything disappeared out of stock.  Someone was selling them on EBay for £35 inc delivery but I never got THAT desperate.  I have since acquired enough squadrons to be able to use them effectively without having to tell my opponent "So, the TIE Advanced are Bombers and the Interceptors are Fighters, oh except for that one which is ACTUALLY an Interceptor".  It got very confusing.

Still can't get Squadrons II or Rogues and Villains.  Or an ISD, of course.  Oh, or a Raider or Arquitens.  It's peeving.

I got a cheap core set 3 years ago, but only started playing properly 2 months ago when some other x-wing players wanted to play Armada too.

But I've found all the ships and squadrons on the UK second hand groups (yes, including 3 ISDs, 2 Arquitens, etc) on Facebook without much problem. 50% of the retail price too.

Edited by Gilarius