TBot

Playing x-wing on a pool table

Hi gang. Looking at getting a pool table but wont have room for a gaming table. The felt area of a pool table is generally 3x6, 3.5x7 or 4x8. So it is the perfect size for 2 x-wing mats. 

Has anyone played on a pool table? Is it cool playing in a sunken table? Or would it just be better to get a topper for the pool table. Is seating uncomfortable around a pool table as there likely wont be leg room? Or would stools work fine?

Anyone with experience on this? Thanks.

Its OK.  Generally stools are the way to go.  Most of the time you'll be having to stand up anyway.  Its a little more difficult to reach/ walk around though, so the two players will more often be executing maneuvers for each other.  Usually not a problem but some people get weird about it.

37 minutes ago, TBot said:

Hi gang. Looking at getting a pool table but wont have room for a gaming table. The felt area of a pool table is generally 3x6, 3.5x7 or 4x8. So it is the perfect size for 2 x-wing mats. 

Has anyone played on a pool table? Is it cool playing in a sunken table? Or would it just be better to get a topper for the pool table. Is seating uncomfortable around a pool table as there likely wont be leg room? Or would stools work fine?

Anyone with experience on this? Thanks.

Do not use your pool table for anything but pool. You can damage your rails, damage your felt, knock it out of level and so on. Depending on the table you will likely not be able to sit with your legs under the table. Don't sit on your table. Don't put drinks on the table. Really don't even set your cue down on the table.

A topper is by far the best way to go if you need to use the table for other things. 

33 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

Do not use your pool table for anything but pool. You can damage your rails, damage your felt, knock it out of level and so on. Depending on the table you will likely not be able to sit with your legs under the table. Don't sit on your table. Don't put drinks on the table. Really don't even set your cue down on the table.

A topper is by far the best way to go if you need to use the table for other things. 

This guy pools.

13 minutes ago, XPav said:

This guy pools.

Used to. People are horrible to pool tables because they think they are for things other than pool. Pool itself is rough enough on tables. I've long lost count of the number of bar fights I was almost in over telling people not to sit on the table or lean on the house cues.

"How do you think the rails get messed up?"

"How do you think the thing got a bend in it?" 

Zero respect for the equipment. Zero knowledge of the game. 

I miss playing. No money to be made in running a proper pool hall in my locale. I just couldn't take bar pool over no pool anymore.

Want to do a multi-purpose gaming/pool table one day. Was thinking:

• Goto the local hardware store and buy a 4x8 sheet of nice quality sanded plywood set it on top of the pool table
  • get some felt or something to protect the pool table
  • attach some 2x2s to the bottom to sit just inside the side bump stops to stop it from sliding around
  • get fancy as you see fit
    • round corners with a router
    • sand/paint
    • utilize holes as cup holders

I play on my pool table, and I also play league pool.

Flip side is I do my own re-felting and other pool table repairs, and my most recent re-felting I went with the extra tough but pretty slow bar cloth. If I ever put Simonis on it or buy some more competitive rails and put them on there, that's the end of X-wing on the pool table. Best bang for the buck is to find a ping pong topper, so now you get three games in one.

Hardest part about playing X-Wing on a pool table is having your friends keep their drinks off the table. Second hardest is trying not to lose x wing components down the pockets (I have a Valley table with the ball return).

Despite having it, I vastly prefer to play on the kitchen table with a set of tray tables to hold components.

Another issue I have had playing X-Wing on a pool table is that if the table has a low hanging light above it you can bang your head on that as you maneuver. Annoying.

My first games of X-wing were on a pool table. Definitely use a playmat for all the reasons listed above. I eventually built a table top for mine so we weren't playing in a pit. It was a finished sheet of plywood with legs and bracers: the legs fit into the pockets and the cross bracers negated any bowing of the wood.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the input gang. I was all in on getting a pool table to use for pool and xwing...now im not so sure. Maybe ill still do it. I mean my passion is xwing and the whole pool part would be secondary. I was planning on buying a used $500 pooltable anyways.

Edited by TBot

8 hours ago, clanofwolves said:

The cue ball coming quick in makes a heck of a destructive asteroid.... plus that added bonus of no need to roll for damage.

This had me grinning ear to ear

7 hours ago, prauxim said:

Want to do a multi-purpose gaming/pool table one day. Was thinking:

• Goto the local hardware store and buy a 4x8 sheet of nice quality sanded plywood set it on top of the pool table
  • get some felt or something to protect the pool table
  • attach some 2x2s to the bottom to sit just inside the side bump stops to stop it from sliding around
  • get fancy as you see fit
    • round corners with a router
    • sand/paint
    • utilize holes as cup holders

I did something similar with my dining room table.

4x8 11 ply 3/4 plywood.

Had the store cut it in half on the 8' (so 2 2x8)

Varnished the heck out of both sides, put big floor felt feet (that protect wood floors from furniture) on it and then a latch on each long edge.

Then there's a roll of edging that you iron on.

So the whole thing sits on my dining room table at 4x8 and can take a hot drink set on the table.

I've done it for 40k. The only issues I ever had were measuring at the edges and the side not being straight up and down that angle can be troublesome. The felt is good in that models stay put better. The height was never an issue for me at 6'11".

13 hours ago, TBot said:

Thanks for the input gang. I was all in on getting a pool table to use for pool and xwing...now im not so sure. Maybe ill still do it. I mean my passion is xwing and the whole pool part would be secondary. I was planning on buying a used $500 pooltable anyways.

Well it partly depends on what you intend to put into the pool part. If you get a deal on a used table and think it would be fun to knock 'em around once in a while and don't want to "play pool," what I'm getting at might not apply to you. You might not notice if you "mess it up." 

If I'm going to have a table in my home, I'm probably not going to have any other hobbies. Someone above mentioned Simonis cloth. I got to play on new rails and new high end Simonis cloth once. A "pro" table like they use on TV matches. It was the most wonderful stretch of horrible pool I'd ever played. Talk about an education and knowing what you don't know. But everything rolled perfect. 

But a table at home and proper room for a table at home (4.5'x9') and I'd be a pool player again. Might even get to be half as good as I once aspired too. 

My primary point is that pool tables are for playing pool and if it isn't going to be first and foremost for pool as you've noted maybe you don't need a pooltable. $500 bucks can go a long way or all the way to a purpose built envy of the forums X-wing table. 

16 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

My first game of epic was on a pool table.

*********snippped the pics*************

It's not a great pool table, so most of @Frimmel's worries are past happening.  It does make for a nice no-slip surface.  If you like green space.  And avoid the 6 black holes. ;)

🤔That doesn't look like a pool table. That looks like a 4'x8' piece of plywood with billiard table like cloth and a frame around it. It isn't even properly stretched from the looks of it. But that's the joke isn't it? 

11 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

🤔That doesn't look like a pool table. That looks like a 4'x8' piece of plywood with billiard table like cloth and a frame around it. It isn't even properly stretched from the looks of it. But that's the joke isn't it? 

Heh.   It's at the family lake house.

It was bought used.  In the last 20 years it's hosted games of billiards, games of Magic, RPG gaming events, miniatures battles, likely had beer, soda and food spilled on it, been sat on, crawled on, had stuff stored on it, and would likely generate a lot of awkward stories if ever hit with a UV light.

In Darth's efence. not everyone can afford a "good table" Especially in terms of use/value for actual pool. I've had a crappy *** table in my home before and it just was not a big deal. Kinda like playing Basketball in the driveway. It served the purpose of whiling time and entertainment. Besides, he probably blew the bank on models. lol

Sunken tables aren't bad, but if you want a gaming table just get a gaming table.  Or build one.  Pool tables aren't great for it due to the awkward rails that you want to lean on (ruins them), pockets you lose stuff in, no space to sit under, etc.  However, Pool is a great game too.  I'd get a 4x7 or 4x8 sheet of plywood depending on the table size to cover it.  3/4" will be best.  You should probably make a spacer for the middle of the table, but that might also put a bump in the middle of the pool table... lots of xwing games have people leaning on the tables and I could see the plywood sinking down in the middle, especially while leaning.  

I think my dream gaming table would be an airhockey table with a plywood or ping pong topper.  I'd bet the large bases would fly across that table!  :D