Boom Owl

What Is Most Important To You When List Building?

As a self-proclaimed X-Wing hipster, being different is important. Then again, being different isn't particularly difficult when most people seem to gravitate towards either 556/566 or fiveish beefy ships: You just pick the I3-4 aces (I would add I3-4 generics as well, but the only good ones are probably the Phantoms and the v1s). I am genuinly convinced a lot of these pilots are underestimated though. Braylen was considered overpriced at 50. Then he dropped, proceeded to dominate the meta, got raised past his old 'overpriced' cost and still sees plenty of play. Something similar happened to Vynder, and could potentially happen to the always great but perpetually dropping Seventh Sister as well (although her two dice gun turns people off).

More gamey priorities for me are small bases (I dabble in medium and large, but can only seem to get a handle on the Lambda), mobility and dice mods (red and green). I usually try to stick to two initiative values in a squad, since it's easier to fly for me, and makes my moves less predictable to my opponent. Sometimes I compensate for dice mods with mobility (Strikers, StarVipers) or hit points (SFs, ARCs, Upsilons, Lambdas and Gunboats).

Posted (edited)

I'm not someone who buys one or two of everything, so theme and cool-looking ships influence my purchases, and by extension my list building.  (My only Rebel ships are the ones from Episode IV, my only Scum ships are a trio of Fangs, etc.)

When it comes to building lists with what I have, quantity and quality of red dice play a major part, as does mobility, as well as survivability from either hull+shields or green dice+arc dodging.  I generally try to go for lists that are solid but maybe not exceptional in each of my listed categories, rather than focusing on one to the exclusion of one or more.

One of the most important things for me when looking at a list, though, is efficiency in actions and abilities.  I'd rather have a ship that has one or two clear choices for its action, and I'd rather have a pilot ability that might be weaker than others but is easier to trigger.  I prefer ships with actions and abilities where I don't have to think as much about decision making, or where I'm not compromising my maneuvering to try to make something happen.  Ideally, the 'decide' part of my OODA loop will be short, as I'm not having to think about my choices.  

This is why I'm liking ARC-170s (move+focus, all day long), generic Jedi Knights (move+TL, or Boost/Roll if needed; spend Force on defense first), and named Fangs w/Fearless (blue move+boost/roll+focus).  Simple and efficient, with minimal trickery, synergy, or combinations to remember...and fewer ways for my opponent to throw a wrench into the way my lists work.

Edited by Subhntr

2 hours ago, Okapi said:

As a self-proclaimed X-Wing hipster, being different is important.

Zactly. In 1.0 when I built a list I'd check voidstate's squad builder to see if anyone else had thought of already.

8 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

Select All That Apply

Somehow, with all those choices, there was only one that was close but not quite how I pick.  And that would be theme.

I like to fly "squads."  By that I don't mean all Black Squadron or all Red Squadron, I mean 3-5 ships all of the same type, or 2 pairs of same ships.  Sometimes its a single support ship with 2 or 3 of a type.

Examples would be 2 T-70's with 2 A-Wings, 5 Scyks or 3 Tie Bombers with a Lambda.

Once I have chosen my chassis, then I look at who I want to fly, load out, etc.

I didn't see my most important component: Number of Ships.

I have a hard time flying a list that has only a few ships.  That differs between fations, but generally, I hate to go with less than 5 ships, especially if it's Empire.  Impossible with Separatists.   I hate games with just a couple of ships on the table (for my side).  If it's against them, I love it, as I can block them and destroy them usually pretty well.  

Most of the time for me, it is testing out cards/ships/pilots that I’ve yet to try. I usually change lists from week to week with a goal to try some of the underrepresented cards. I tend to want to know why something is considered ‘bad’ and see if I can find a combination that makes the card/ship shine. 

Posted (edited)

I think one very important option you left out is "Will it be fun".

I avoid playing Rebel Beef whenever I can because it is so dang boring. 

Edited by Skitch_

I consider everything on your list when I'm building a squad, but having a Clear Win Condition is the most important part for me.  There are all kinds of fun card combinations, but they don't always translate into game swinging rounds.  They are fun and any time I run across something like that I start building a list with it to see if I can make it work for me.

The litmus test is generally me asking myself what the win condition for the squad is versus a handful of other squad archetypes that I know people like to run.  I'd call myself competitive, but I'm not win-at-all-costs competitive.  I've got to enjoy the squad I'm running and I need a clear win condition so that I feel like I have a solid chance to win any given match.  Everything else is secondary.

I am a win condition guy.  I try to avoid sticking to one particular strategy.  Having the same initiative is great but what an I sacrificing to get it, same for dice Mods and mobility. 

I also believe the best way to beat a list is to try it out.

The one thing I avoid is lists that depend complicated combos or upgrades with ambiguous rules.  The last thing I want to do is pour over FAQ and discuss RAW versus RAI.

By this point, I have a play style and will select ships that will reflect that style. However, I've never felt the need to have all names pilots.

I mostly fly Imperial because of my list building doctrine with them : Select the ships you use based on the role you want them to perform. Upgrade to a named pilot if it further helps enhance that ship's ability to perform its role. 

Other factions will try to get a pilot into a list for the ability. You throw Drea into a list for what her ability is, not necessarily because you need a Y-Wing. That's just now how I do things. 

11 hours ago, Okapi said:

I am genuinly convinced a lot of these pilots are underestimated though. Braylen was considered overpriced at 50. Then he dropped, proceeded to dominate the meta, got raised past his old 'overpriced' cost and still sees plenty of play.

There's a reason I don't really listen to the forums or reddit when it comes to ship/pilots.

Also, relatively fewer people play the middle initiative pilots because the mids are the hardest pilots to fly: you're constantly changing playstyles (sometimes you're arcdodging and sometimes you're blocking), whereas the lower initiatives are almost always blocking and the higher Is are almost always dodging).

The flipside is that they generally have the most amazing pilot abilities.

There's not an exact response for this, but I highly favor independent functioning pieces.  Meaning, I can take my stuff and spread it out and it can run independent of others and can inherently modify dice without needing to be in range of others.

Posted (edited)

I was going to say I don't know because List Building is really not my strong suit, but "Will it be fun?" is a good question.

Never being able to answer that is one of the reasons I'm still on my break from the game though.

From the beginning, my purchasing habits were what ships I had a personal attachment to, and usually just one of them. When I started list building, that changed a bit (as I would buy extras of ships if I thought it would be appropriate for a squad), but I haven't branched out too much.

I also tend to like to build lists with a pattern to them. I prefer all one ship, or all one ship with a different squad leader, than every ship being different. That just feels wrong to me (and gets significantly harder to keep track of). The only list I ever made that worked was like that, and I just couldn't keep using it.

Unfortunately for me, I've found that trying to use my favorite ships doesn't really work out. There's no inherent synergy in what I like. I tried bending that a little, and I accepted a little compromise in favor of gameplay. I still couldn't really find anything I enjoyed though.

I don't need to win, but losing every match starts to demoralize you regardless of what your goal was.

Edited by Jokubas

10 minutes ago, Jokubas said:

I also tend to like to build lists with a pattern to them. I prefer all one ship, or all one ship with a different squad leader, than every ship being different.

Same here, can't stand flying salad

Possibly an unpopular opinion on this board at the moment, but: words. I need at least one ship in each squad to do something beyond just move and Focus all the time, else I just find the game incredibly boring.