Posted (edited)

Playing around with the idea of cheap Hwk without the title led me to this; started with Fenn Torkil and Seevor and felt like it needed something a little beefy so added Sabine.

(37) Torkil Mux [HWK-290 Light Freighter]

(68) Fenn Rau [Fang Fighter]

(62) Sabine Wren [Lancer-class Pursuit Craft]
(3) Shadow Caster

(30) Captain Seevor [Modified TIE/ln Fighter]

Total points: 200

Can make best enemy ship zero and take its tokens and maybe put it on a rock. I like the idea of it but it's obviously missing passive mods. Any suggestions? I think Torkil without title looks like decent value.

Cheers!

Edited by Benjamin Barber

I have also been thinking about using the hawk without title. The mobile arc pointing inward, circling the engagement should cover lots of ground for the debuff. With the title the role becomes more of a jouster. 

Fenn is obviously a beast, but also very expensive. Old Teroch may be an alternative, doubling down on the token hatred. This gives you some points for passive mods. 

I like the shadow caster, the tractor debuff is great, something that can be abused by your list. Sabine can be quite tanky, a Perceptive Copilot would be nice but obviously no points available. I like Ketsu a lot on this ship. 

What I don't like on the overall concept is that your hardest hitting ship doesn't benefit from the tractor token. So I would prefer to increase the initiative on the lancer pilot and decrease the fang. 

Following my preferences would lead to something like this

Torkil Mux (37)

Old Teroch (56)
Fearless (3)

Ketsu Onyo (70)
Shadow Caster (3)

Captain Seevor (30)
Total: 199

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

I am intrigued to actually try Sabine. Since I want to maximize the tractor effect, I'd go for another initiative 3 pilot and skip on the fang completely

Torkil Mux (37)

Black Sun Assassin (48)
Predator (2)
Collision Detector (6)

Sabine Wren (62)
Fearless (3)
Perceptive Copilot (8)
Shadow Caster (3)

Captain Seevor (30)
Crack Shot (1)
Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Hopefully this gives you some inspiration

Thanks Flooze, those are both really good versions I would like to try. I think as a group of 4 ships it is a lot for the opponent to deal with. And Bomber you are right, the opponent doesn't really want to shoot at Torkil but he'll be so annoying and put out damage if ignored because he should have guns on target constantly. 

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

The Sabine version has worked really well, I haven't lost with it in 3 practice games against 3 good opponents. Collision detector has been useful but I am also wondering if switching PerCo to Maul and adding Contraband for Sabine would be better. She then has mods even when bumped or K-turning. Have to drop Crack Shot on Seevor.

Sabine Wren (Scum) (62)    
    Fearless (3)    
    Maul (12)    
    Contraband Cybernetics (3)    
    Shadow Caster (3)    

Ship total: 83  Half Points: 42  Threshold: 5    

Black Sun Assassin (48)    
    Predator (2)    

Ship total: 50  Half Points: 25  Threshold: 3    

Torkil Mux (37)    
Ship total: 37  Half Points: 19  Threshold: 3    

Captain Seevor (30)    
Ship total: 30  Half Points: 15  Threshold: 2    

13 minutes ago, Benjamin Barber said:

The Sabine version has worked really well, I haven't lost with it in 3 practice games against 3 good opponents. Collision detector has been useful but I am also wondering if switching PerCo to Maul and adding Contraband for Sabine would be better. She then has mods even when bumped or K-turning. Have to drop Crack Shot on Seevor.

Sabine Wren (Scum) (62)    
    Fearless (3)    
    Maul (12)    
    Shadow Caster (3)    

Black Sun Assassin (48)    
    Predator (2)    

Torkil Mux (37)    

Captain Seevor (30)    

I like the recent changes. thats. lot of pts in Sabine but she is pretty tanky... this is the type of squad I like playing... looks like it will take some time to master its strengths and opponents are going to be a little unsure how to take it on first time.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Benjamin Barber said:

Sabine Wren (Scum) (62)    
    Fearless (3)    
    Maul (12)    
    Shadow Caster (3)    

Black Sun Assassin (48)    
    Predator (2)    

Torkil Mux (37)    

Captain Seevor (30)    

Nice, glad to hear that!

I also like your changes, Maul on the lancer is really good. Keep it up, maybe you find another think to tweak

How did you set up obstacles and approached engagement? 

Edited by flooze

Thanks guys. Originally I took big rocks and looked to place one about 3 and 3 (or 4) from the opponent's corner (if they do want to joust that can be a nice tractor rock), and look to create lanes with the rest for Sabine to approach. I now think that small rocks will be better; the large rocks are good for tractoring people onto, but this squad takes up so much space and being all I3 it's unlikely that you get to just choose to deploy Sabine opposite the enemy ships. This gives her more room to maneuver.

I've been placing Torkil just off from the centre, arc forward, and adjust once he knows where to place his arc. The goal is to get him alongside opposing ships and circle, not joust them. If people chase he can slow roll and block nicely, or circle hard.

Sabine and Seevor stick together, BSA barrel rolls to the side to get a flanking shot. All relatively close though, noone is running alone.

Most people like running aces so the tricky thing is keeping guns on target. Must not overcommit with Sabine and don't leave anyone exposed where they're not covered by squadmates. Really just want to get Sabine in front of people.

The firing order is quite interesting; if you need to help Sabine get a good shot you can Seevor first to strip defensive token, or, if Sabine has a good R1 fearless shot you don't need to, so then Seevor can benefit from the tractor. BSA always shoots last of the I3s.

Torkil's ability combined with Seevor is very nice against torpedoes! They've lost the target lock before they get to fire :D

38 minutes ago, Benjamin Barber said:

this squad takes up so much space 

Yeah I thought so. Was wondering if a kimogila would make sense instead of the viper, but then you need even more space... 

On 7/19/2019 at 11:04 PM, Benjamin Barber said:

Sabine Wren (Scum) (62)    
    Fearless (3)    
    Maul (12)    
    Shadow Caster (3)    

Black Sun Assassin (48)    
    Predator (2)    

Torkil Mux (37)    

Captain Seevor (30)    

I habe been flying this a few times on the fly casual simulator against sample squads since no room for table time at the moment. I really like it. Hopefully Wednesday will be my opportunity to try this on the table.

Awesome, glad you're enjoying it!

I took this version to our local tournament yesterday with a lot of top players in the UK - went 3-1 and lost on the top table! Couple of my games were close and could have easily swung the other way. Lots of variations to try and practice with, going to stick with it a while. Going back and forth between Sabine and Ketsu.

Ketsu Onyo (70)    
    Fearless (3)    
    Qi'ra (2)    
    Shadow Caster (3)    

Ship total: 81  Half Points: 41  Threshold: 5    

Black Sun Assassin (48)    

Predator (2)    

Torkil Mux (37)    

Tobias Beckett (2)    

Ship total: 39  Half Points: 20  Threshold: 3    

Captain Seevor (30)    

26 minutes ago, Benjamin Barber said:

Awesome, glad you're enjoying it!

I took this version to our local tournament yesterday with a lot of top players in the UK - went 3-1 and lost on the top table! Couple of my games were close and could have easily swung the other way. Lots of variations to try and practice with, going to stick with it a while. Going back and forth between Sabine and Ketsu.

Ketsu Onyo (70)    
    Fearless (3)    
    Qi'ra (2)    
    Shadow Caster (3)    

Ship total: 81  Half Points: 41  Threshold: 5    

Black Sun Assassin (48)    

Predator (2)    

Torkil Mux (37)    

Tobias Beckett (2)    

Ship total: 39  Half Points: 20  Threshold: 3    

Captain Seevor (30)    

Well done, congratulations! 

Did you use qi'ra a lot? Wondering if IG-88D was useful instead of the two other crew.

I have been thinking of a similar list but with Old T and a leaner Ketsu. Thoughts? I have yet to fly it, though. :(

(56) Old Teroch [Fang Fighter]
(2) Predator

(70) Ketsu Onyo [Lancer-class Pursuit Craft]
(3) Shadow Caster
(2) Qi'ra

yesterday i played a couple of matches against a friends quad-aerhersprite list with this, however, and went 2:0

(3) Shadow Caster
(12) Maul
(3) Fearless
(3) Contraband Cybernetics

(2) Predator

(40) Serissu [M3-A Interceptor]
(5) Ion Cannon
(3) Elusive

Total points: 197

This one I really fancy. :)

On 7/20/2019 at 7:02 AM, Benjamin Barber said:

Thanks guys. Originally I took big rocks and looked to place one about 3 and 3 (or 4) from the opponent's corner (if they do want to joust that can be a nice tractor rock), and look to create lanes with the rest for Sabine to approach. I now think that small rocks will be better; the large rocks are good for tractoring people onto, but this squad takes up so much space and being all I3 it's unlikely that you get to just choose to deploy Sabine opposite the enemy ships. This gives her more room to maneuver.

I've been placing Torkil just off from the centre, arc forward, and adjust once he knows where to place his arc. The goal is to get him alongside opposing ships and circle, not joust them. If people chase he can slow roll and block nicely, or circle hard.

Sabine and Seevor stick together, BSA barrel rolls to the side to get a flanking shot. All relatively close though, noone is running alone.

Most people like running aces so the tricky thing is keeping guns on target. Must not overcommit with Sabine and don't leave anyone exposed where they're not covered by squadmates. Really just want to get Sabine in front of people.

The firing order is quite interesting; if you need to help Sabine get a good shot you can Seevor first to strip defensive token, or, if Sabine has a good R1 fearless shot you don't need to, so then Seevor can benefit from the tractor. BSA always shoots last of the I3s.

Torkil's ability combined with Seevor is very nice against torpedoes! They've lost the target lock before they get to fire :D

If you look in the rulesreference page4 , then you will see that you check wepon before target. So they can still fire their torpedo, but if u choose to remove the lock they cant mod the shot with their lock.

13 minutes ago, Muppetfluffer said:

If you look in the rulesreference page4 , then you will see that you check wepon before target. So they can still fire their torpedo, but if u choose to remove the lock they cant mod the shot with their lock.

But if I have set them to initiative zero Seevor strips the lock before they activate.

3 hours ago, Muppetfluffer said:

Can someone help my rotting daddybrain please !!!!!  =D

If they get stripped of their Lock in ini3 by seevor and they get bumped down to ini0 by Torkil then of course they can’t fire their torpedoes in ini0.

If they fire their torpedoes at Seevor while having a Lock then seevor strips the Lock but torpedoes still go through. They are unmodded, though.

5 hours ago, fps_pyz said:

I have been thinking of a similar list but with Old T and a leaner Ketsu. Thoughts? I have yet to fly it, though. :(

(2) Predator

(3) Shadow Caster
(2) Qi'ra

yesterday i played a couple of matches against a friends quad-aerhersprite list with this, however, and went 2:0

(3) Shadow Caster
(12) Maul
(3) Fearless
(3) Contraband Cybernetics

(2) Predator

(40) Serissu [M3-A Interceptor]
(5) Ion Cannon
(3) Elusive

Total points: 197

This one I really fancy. :)

I ran it with Teroch a little bit; I find that the starviper does better in such close quarters, seeing as I have 4 ships. The points saved are really useful on the Lancer. Definitely worth a go though, you might like it better. Would be interested to hear how you do with it.

Posted (edited)
On 7/19/2019 at 11:04 PM, Benjamin Barber said:

Sabine Wren (Scum) (62)    

Fearless (3)    
    Maul (12)    
    Shadow Caster (3)    

Black Sun Assassin (48)    
    Predator (2)    

Torkil Mux (37)    

Captain Seevor (30)    

Flew this one today against a hatchetman list. Didn't go very well. I know the hatchetman is really strong, but I think I also flew rather bad. Four ships, one of them large, takes quite some table space, so I couldn't really move as I like. 

Not sure what to change. There is potential, so I will try to improve. 

Edited by flooze

Not really 'cheap' but maybe this could work? 

GoonSquad

(2) Engine Upgrade
(5) Hull Upgrade
(5) Proton Bombs
(4) L3-37

(31) Crymorah Goon [BTL-A4 Y-wing]
(5) Ion Cannon Turret
(8) Veteran Turret Gunner
(5) Proton Bombs

(31) Crymorah Goon [BTL-A4 Y-wing]
(5) Ion Cannon Turret