Sign in to follow this  
Lemmiwinks86

What we know about Rebellion in the Rim

4 hours ago, Triangular said:

Good thought. But the Liberator was successor for the destroyed Phoenix Nest. I guess it will get an additional Fleet Command slot.

I really hope this is not it. The Fleet Command is already the only reason why anybody ever plays the Pelta. If you give that slot to the CR90 Peltas will become extinct.

44 minutes ago, LordCola said:

I really hope this is not it. The Fleet Command is already the only reason why anybody ever plays the Pelta. If you give that slot to the CR90 Peltas will become extinct.

Unless the Liberator card in 10+ points & +1 command in addition to the fleet command slot.   Then it comes down to firepower v speed for the difference

18 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

I was thinking if “task force” became a true format. I'd definitely get more people to play if it were.

And here I think it would kill what little interest anyone still has for the game.

1 hour ago, LordCola said:

I think your reasoning goes the wrong way. Currently, the (very weak) remedy of the crappy Pelta is having exclusively a great upgrade slot. That limits design space and does not really make sense thematically. Best way to solve the problem is to make the Pelta simply better. But I grant you that that does most likely not happen - I really hoped for a new Pelta (and Interdictor) title in this expansion.

But even without that, I think that at least one of the fleet commands is better on the Pelta nevertheless: AFFM! (It synergyzes better with the higher squad value and the off retro slot). If the cr90 does even lose its support team slot for the fleet command, StM! will also be better on the Pelta (higher engineering value and the option to take Projection Experts).

17 minutes ago, slasher956 said:

why?  you dont have to play it if you dont want... just like GWs 40k has 3 methods of playing (but most only play 1!)

If it becomes the standard, then yes there may be other ways to play, but they are not the standard anymore. And yes there is nothing stopping you from playing at whatever level you want, however if you are normally playing a non-standard game (or house rules) it means that if you go someplace else you are not able to play (or at least not as you are used to).

1 minute ago, CDAT said:

If it becomes the standard, then yes there may be other ways to play, but they are not the standard anymore. And yes there is nothing stopping you from playing at whatever level you want, however if you are normally playing a non-standard game (or house rules) it means that if you go someplace else you are not able to play (or at least not as you are used to).

I would highly, highly doubt that the standard game would change away from 400 points.

I mean, I'd put money on it, but it'd be a false bet, because I don't have any money...  I'd trade copious painting credit.

Mainly because a lot of work goes into designing bits and pieces for Armada - that's evident in the sheer amount of time it takes in between releases - even when we were getting releases at the fastest pace...  Everything is developed along those lines.  And you certainly wouldn't release a massive set-piece, specifically with variants to use in standard games, if you were going to shift standard games to half their size and be done with it there.

Even if groups move to try to do the smaller games more and more, and they may...  The tournament system...  The 'grand prix' of Store->Prime->Grand->Continental->Worlds will remain the "Tournament Standard" of 400 points.

Mainly because it'd take something as drastic as a 2.0 to do the changes to re-balance a game for permanently smaller systems, and if that's happening,well, everything's both on and off the table.    But again, with the promised release of this campaign, and 2 new ships being finally announced formally at GenCon, it doesn't look like we're in for a reboot anytime soon.

The whole issue of a new "standard" game is doing nothing but revive the game in my area. We now have the hard core 400 pointers as the old school base. But we now have an entirely new group of people who are getting in on the 200 point games while older gamers who drifted away are all on board with games up to 1500 points per side. We actually a regular game night at one store and another group of stores allowing pickup games of Armada again as well as stocking minis again. All of this new stuff, rules and cardboard and minis, is breathing life into a region that used to have a large crowd before all but disappearing. All I can say is bring it on, more is better.

2 hours ago, CDAT said:

Yeah no one’s expecting it to be “the” standard. Even if it gets some store-level OP support I’d be impressed. I’m just saying an alternative format like sector fleet would be helpful for getting new players in on a budget and with little time availability. The same is happening in X-Wing right now with the return of epic play, objectives, and huge ships. Many are jumping back in that dropped out during a stale meta or when 2.0 was announced.

No one wants official Armada OP to be other than 400 pts.

9 hours ago, LordCola said:

Not necessarily even if the cr90 gets a fleet command the petal still has advantages over the cr-90. Comand two means it can store tokens on this guy and with asoaka change them to what you need also its a much better squadron pusher. Sure it wont help, and I hope it doesn't happen but if it does the pelta will still have a place just even more niche.