Sign in to follow this  
RedDogReb

Trying Squadrons

Been playing a little while now, and never really tried to play with a lot of squadrons - At best they've been an after thought, and often I've gone completely squadronless.

I play Imperial, but don't have the carrier, and this is my first attempt using dual VSDs as carriers.

I appreciate this will likely get ripped apart and nothing is set is stone, but please be a bit gentle!

I'm a bit concerned by only three activations. I could replace the 'Dictor with a couple of Gozantis and have points over for more squadrons (only at 105) but beyond activations, not sure they add much where as the dictor (IMO) adds something that my oppo has to deal with.

VSD1 Carriers
Author: Reddog

Faction: Galactic Empire

Commander: Admiral Sloane

Assault Objective: Targeting Beacons
Defense Objective: Fire Lanes
Navigation Objective: Superior Positions

[ flagship ] Victory I-Class Star Destroyer (73 points)
-  Admiral Sloane  ( 24  points)
-  Captain Brunson  ( 5  points)
-  Boosted Comms  ( 4  points)
-  External Racks  ( 3  points)
= 109 total ship cost

Victory I-Class Star Destroyer (73 points)
-  Boosted Comms  ( 4  points)
-  External Racks  ( 3  points)
= 80 total ship cost

Interdictor-class Suppression Refit (90 points)
Interdictor  ( 3  points)
-  Projection Experts  ( 6  points)
-  Targeting Scrambler  ( 5  points)
-  G7-X Grav Well Projector  ( 2  points)
= 106 total ship cost

1 Maarek Stele ( 21 points)
1 Colonel Jendon ( 20 points)
1 Ciena Ree ( 17 points)
1 Lambda-class Shuttle ( 15 points)
2 TIE Fighter Squadrons ( 16 points)
1 Howlrunner ( 16 points)
= 105 total squadron cost

Looks fine. E-Rax VSD-Is are deadly at close range when sloane has discarded the enemy brace tokens.

Superior Positions might bight you on the behind if you come up against a 134 point squadron build with some intel (and you have no intel and could be locked down for a turn or two). Dangerous Territory is good with the grav shift moving rocks your way and the no damage form overlapping rule. Contested Outpost also benefits from moving rocks about and it means you could swap that Lambda out for something that benefits from Sloane like a TIE phantom or Mauler.

D-Cap GT, LS, QBT VSD-II could swap for the Interdictor if you don't like the above missions or swap for something cheap like Needa/TRC Arquitens and upgrade a VSD-I to ISD-II Avenger. Then you get access to a SADviser for 4 activations. But then I do like the Interdoctor so feel free to stay as you are. 

@Mad Cat I like the idea of Dangerous Territory. I think I'll swap - I've not played for a little while and had forgotten the details.

I took the Lambda to be of benefit with Targeting Beacons or Fire Lanes. I feel if I drop the Lambda, I need to change the objectives too.

I'm sure I'll tweak this list (maybe a lot!) over time, but will stick with those for now.

I had thought about a somewhat beefed up VSD2, but I have an Interdictor sitting at home, unused, and thought I'd give it a go.

I will use this first against my son. He played against someone else (who is quite experienced) on Monday. My son plays Rebels (what is it with children and authority? LOL) and he managed to one shot an interdictor (he caught it at Speed 0 which helped!). I'm using a bit of psychology and seeing if he'll either try it again or be a bit cocky ("its only an interdictor")

Dangerous Territory definite change. At the moment, will keep the rest and see how we go. Will probably be playing on Thursday night.

Thanks for the comments.

17 minutes ago, RedDogReb said:

what is it with children and authority?

The Glaxit tendencies of ofspring needs to be routed out. 

I blame the parents. (Please dont tell lord Vader I said that he is responsible for both his children joining the Rebellion)

Keeping the Lambda for Dangerous Territory is also sensible. You can move a token off an obstacle and then nobody can grab it, at least until you are ready to move it back.