Jump to content
federalchipmunk1980

1st ever tournament (this sat)

Recommended Posts

thinking of flying this on sat, not played it for a while, but i prefer fyling aces atm as i find them easier than foramtaions and swarms 

vader

afterburners

FCS

Hate 

78 pts

 

duchess

Fith Brother 

Predator 

53 pts

 

soontir 

Predator

hull upgrade

62pts 

193 in total, can lose hull upgrade on soontir or fith brother on duchess to get a bigger bid, thoughts ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imperial Aces are solid. 

-I would drop hate from Vader. It’s not necessary.

-Soontir prefers a shield upgrade instead of a hull upgrade

-I’m not running Duchess. I prefer Countdown with Crack Shot and Prox. Mines.

This gives the list an 11 point bid which should be enough.

All in all you have lots of options running those Aces. You can’t go wrong. Flying this list with success is the tricky part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ryuneke said:

Imperial Aces are solid. 

-I would drop hate from Vader. It’s not necessary.

-Soontir prefers a shield upgrade instead of a hull upgrade

-I’m not running Duchess. I prefer Countdown with Crack Shot and Prox. Mines.

This gives the list an 11 point bid which should be enough.

All in all you have lots of options running those Aces. You can’t go wrong. Flying this list with success is the tricky part.

yup lol, i have tossed between 3 different list this week, one with arc 2xjedi and N1, one with3 jedi and N1, and the above, i havnt flown th above or the jedi N1 list, but i know imp aces and roughly how to fly them.

the arc list i enjoyed, but feel like a need something a bit more to try not to finish last lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Three solid ships with no actual bad upgrades.  I could nitpick, but those are mostly all just minor preferences, like how someone takes their coffee.  If anything... Fifth Brother is perhaps expensive.  The force is good, but Duchess can be so easy to kill sometimes.  I could see myself skipping Fifth Brother in favor of like... Hull and Shield on Soontir?  I have a preference for adding both or neither, since adding one doesn't change the amount of damage Soontir needs to take in order to get to half-points.  With both Hull/Shield, it'll take damage to half-points Soontir, which is like having to kill a naked Soontir.  But the force is strong, so, all good.

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Three solid ships with no actual bad upgrades.  I could nitpick, but those are mostly all just minor preferences, like how someone takes their coffee.  If anything... Fifth Brother is perhaps expensive.  The force is good, but Duchess can be so easy to kill sometimes.  I could see myself skipping Fifth Brother in favor of like... Hull and Shield on Soontir?  I have a preference for adding both or neither, since adding one doesn't change the amount of damage Soontir needs to take in order to get to half-points.  With both Hull/Shield, it'll take damage to half-points Soontir, which is like having to kill a naked Soontir.  But the force is strong, so, all good.

Good luck!

thank you :-)

i was toying with a republic list also that i played against my mates tournament list, and he said it was hard as target priority was an issue for him, but i only have played one game with that list - granted i haven't played any with imp aces, but i can fly aces so i "should " be ok lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, federalchipmunk1980 said:

thank you 🙂

i was toying with a republic list also that i played against my mates tournament list, and he said it was hard as target priority was an issue for him, but i only have played one game with that list - granted i haven't played any with imp aces, but i can fly aces so i "should " be ok lol 

On the one hand, Imperial Aces can be weird.  Striker movement takes some getting used to (but Duchess is a great entry point, since she can skip the Ailerons), and Vader can be a little unusual.  His boost is locked behind 3-speed moves, so having foresight on whether or not you'll want to boost in the end before you set your dial is good.  It's not too hard, and a lot of other X-Wing skills translate, but unfamiliar ships are still unfamiliar.

On the other hand, playing a tournament for a bunch of games with the same list is a GREAT way to get a lot of learning in with it.  Go for it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

On the one hand, Imperial Aces can be weird.  Striker movement takes some getting used to (but Duchess is a great entry point, since she can skip the Ailerons), and Vader can be a little unusual.  His boost is locked behind 3-speed moves, so having foresight on whether or not you'll want to boost in the end before you set your dial is good.  It's not too hard, and a lot of other X-Wing skills translate, but unfamiliar ships are still unfamiliar.

On the other hand, playing a tournament for a bunch of games with the same list is a GREAT way to get a lot of learning in with it.  Go for it!

so question is now, do i go with a decent list that i have minimal idea on the effects and how to fly.,(even though i have flown them all seperately b4) or do i go with a list which is ooook, but i know how to fly it lol 

Edited by federalchipmunk1980

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, federalchipmunk1980 said:

so question is now, do i go with a decent list that i have minimal idea on the effects and how to fly.,(even though i have flown them all seperately b4) or do i go with a list which is ooook, but i know how to fly it lol 

Go with the list you know how to fly better.  Flying better will keep you from getting killed quickly and if you’ve flow it for a while you won’t forget to use certain upgrades/triggers.  I tend to forget checking at the start of engagement whether enemy ships are in Soontirs’ bullseye because it doesn’t happen that often since I don’t play him like a knife fighter.  If I flew him more where ensuring bullseye was a priority, I wouldn’t forget to check...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, federalchipmunk1980 said:

so question is now, do i go with a decent list that i have minimal idea on the effects and how to fly.,(even though i have flown them all seperately b4) or do i go with a list which is ooook, but i know how to fly it lol 

Whatever you think you'll have the most fun with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

had a fantastic tournament on Saturday, went with ric, "old Ani" and obi wan 

went 2/2 so was pleased with that from my 1st event, took a lot from it too.

my list was 

ric - r2-c4, daredevil

obi-wan - D7B, R2

ani - CLT

189 pts

lost against I5 tie swarm and vulture swarm..... **** those droids, lost ani and ric fairly quick in that game as i flew them slightly wrong, but obi stayed till time and took 2 droids off the table one his own, turns out they "were the droid we were looking for " lol 

 

all in all good, fun, enjoyable day, and i feel i know have a list i enjoy and will tweak and see if anything else works - wasn't sure on D7B on obi at 1st as it just made me want to joust him all the time rather than fly him like a proper ace, which may have contributed to his demise so quickly in the last game.

 

thanks everyone for your help and advice leading up to Saturday.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Blademaster72 said:

Collision detector and afterburners is great, boost threw gas clouds and chain actions with force. Try out in future.

fair shout, will try it this Thursday when i put them on the table next 

who would you run those on btw?

 

thank you 

Edited by federalchipmunk1980

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...