EliasWindrider

It's now easy to get 4/4 defense from armor you can wear anywhere

Take banal apparel (25 credits),  armor inserts fully modded

=> 2 soak, 2 defense, 1 hp, 3 enc, rarity 3, 3 purple check to see if your wearing armor, cost so far 775 credits.

Reverse engineer (fully operational) to add a hp

Collapse of the republic portable plasma shield, mod twice for deflection, mod once for defensive.  => 4/4 defense and another 2800 credits.

8 hours ago, TheJack said:

Can you please give us the text for the portable plasma shield? This sounds interesting

The gist of it is it grants defensive 1 with 2 mods to increase defensive, it also has 3 mods to grant deflection.  You can't wield a 2 handed weapon while it's up, you can't attack with it, it uses 2 hp, costs 2500 credits and is NOT restricted.  I forget the availability.

5 hours ago, Subhntr said:

"can wear anywhere"

Good luck getting the portable plasma shield through any kind of scanner. 😉

I imagine getting purely defensive protection through security is easier than getting a blaster through.

6 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

I imagine getting purely defensive protection through security is easier than getting a blaster through.

True.  However, it is still a good-sized power cell and emitter - you know it's purely defensive, I know it's purely defensive, but Kyle the under-paid, over-worked NPC manning the security scanner probably doesn't know that.

Depending on where you are, the ensuing encounter could be anywhere from a minor check to inform Kyle the NPC that "no, this power cell is part of something purely defensive" to having that conversation in an interrogation cell.

15 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

The gist of it is it grants defensive 1 with 2 mods to increase defensive, it also has 3 mods to grant deflection.  You can't wield a 2 handed weapon while it's up, you can't attack with it, it uses 2 hp, costs 2500 credits and is NOT restricted.  I forget the availability.

Did you have the lore blurb about it too? Trying to figure out what it actually looks like lol

Also, I'm not so sure you'd be able to get it past many security checkpoints... If this one guy shows up with heavy duty defensive measures, even if he doesn't have a weapon he's going to be suspicious as ****

armor you can wear anywhere is crafted reinforced clothes and you can mod them to 1 defense 3 soak with  9 adv and 2 triumph in crafting. Rarely will you be stripped down and it always gives you a nice base of protection, which is better than off the rack battle armor.

Probably the cheapest way to get to 4 defense is to be a gadgeteer with 100xp in talents you can pick up dedication armor master/improved armor master and jury rig.  Take crafted deflective armor (500 credits) and with 2 triumph and 9 advantage you can get 2 defense 3 soak armor with 1 hp free for low friction coating 750 credits with your armor talents and juryrigging the armor for ranged defense you can get 4 defense and 4 soak for a paltry 1250  credits (course you have to get lucky on the rolls try a few times or get someone real skilled but hey) super cheap.

19 hours ago, TheJack said:

Did you have the lore blurb about it too? Trying to figure out what it actually looks like lol

Also, I'm not so sure you'd be able to get it past many security checkpoints... If this one guy shows up with heavy duty defensive measures, even if he doesn't have a weapon he's going to be suspicious as ****

Armor and weapon designs oppose one another in a cycle of endless escalation.  Not surprisingly, many warriors seek out means to enhance their defenses in hopes that it will leave them free to make additional attacks.  A small defensive shield can provide a substantial upgrade.  Energy shields take this a step further, offering a near impenetrable defense while requiring much less weight and bulk than a more traditional shield.  A forearm-mounted plasma shield's biggest limitation is its size.   One capable of completely protecting the wearer requires a bulky emitter and energy source.  It can also interfere with the soldier's own weapons, making striking a blow awkward around the edge of the shield.

Models include: mili-Corp ps-8c plasma buckler, krail 99 Guardian system.

On 7/16/2019 at 7:01 AM, EliasWindrider said:

The rarity and cost will be higher the farther away the Clone Wars is in your game's timeline due to availability being less and less as time goes by. 

That is one of the most powerful mods in the game.  For my players to get it they will need to go through some great trials or do some huge favors.  I agree with T70Driver, those are old Mandalore combat tech and very outdated so they would be very hard to find and very expensive at this point.