T-70 X-wing - •Nien Nunb - 62
    •Nien Nunb - Sarcastic Survivor (55)
        Heroic (1)
        Integrated S-foils (Closed) (0)
        Ferrosphere Paint (6)

T-70 X-wing - •Poe Dameron - 75
    •Poe Dameron - Trigger-Happy Flyboy (68)
        Heroic (1)
        Ferrosphere Paint (6)

T-70 X-wing - •Ello Asty - 63
    •Ello Asty - Born to Ill (56)
        Heroic (1)
        Ferrosphere Paint (6)

Total: 200/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

Just a list I threw together yesterday. Had a lot of fun with it, especially against an Imperial list that loves to throw out target locks. I don't see it winning any tournaments, hut who knows? Maybe it will surprise some people. 

If you really feel like you have to counter Locks, seems like it might be decent.

If you ever aren't worrying so much about Locks, I'd suggest Pattern Analyzer on Nien Nunb, since it can do some really nutty-strong things and really makes it a lot easier to leverage Nien's ability.  Other handy upgrades are Black One on Nien Nunb (pulling a 3-speed move into a Tallon Roll or a 4-straight into a 4-K, then using Pattern Analyzer for an action, then clearing the stress from the red move with Nien's ability is incredibly powerful), and maybe an R4 Astromech on Poe Dameron (Having access to blue 2-speed hard turns can be handy with the stress from his pilot ability.

Resistance Transport, I think.

I imagine it's not bad on Ello, either. Both of them are very good at attacking from weird angles, which suits the Autoblaster's rules.

Autoblaster's "can not defend strike" is good in theory, but if Nien is using his ability and the autoblaster's ability, it means the target is in a range 1 bullseye shot; meaning they're taking a 4-dice attack from outside their arc of fire. If they're not taking damage at that point, it kind of feels like you're doing it wrong.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Tyhar7 said:

Most agree with BitterFig but if you also give Nien Autoblasters and Marksmen ships he becomes a bit of a demon. 

All the Init 5/6 T-70s are decent arc dodgers, and maybe Autoblasters candidates.  Heroic isn't too potent, and could easily be switched for Marksmanship.

I only wish I knew how good it was, in the mathematical sense.  I don't think any of the 1e dice calculators are still online--since the Autoblasters crit-effect is similar to 1e Ten Numb, that'd be a really handy way to figure out how much the effect actually adds, with or without Marksmanship

Edited by theBitterFig

1 hour ago, theBitterFig said:

I only wish I knew how good it was, in the mathematical sense.  I don't think any of the 1e dice calculators are still online--since the Autoblasters crit-effect is similar to 1e Ten Numb, that'd be a really handy way to figure out how much the effect actually adds, with or without Marksmanship

Compared to a normal primary shot?

Since you'd have to be in the bullseye to get marksmanship, you'd automatically be getting a critical, and be rolling 3-4 dice (depending on range) whether firing primary weapons or the autoblaster.

Since it only makes the critical unblockable, it only matters if the target would have dodged the attack in its entirety - which isn't actually that common.

Something like a focus/evade capable N-1 or phantom might dodge a 2-hit attack reliably, or a protectorate fang.  

1 hour ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Compared to a normal primary shot?

Since you'd have to be in the bullseye to get marksmanship, you'd automatically be getting a critical, and be rolling 3-4 dice (depending on range) whether firing primary weapons or the autoblaster.

Since it only makes the critical unblockable, it only matters if the target would have dodged the attack in its entirety - which isn't actually that common.

Something like a focus/evade capable N-1 or phantom might dodge a 2-hit attack reliably, or a protectorate fang. 

It's really easy to have a "sense" of some of these things.  That's why I really want to play around with a calculator.  It'd be interesting to see how it'd compare to stuff like Predator or so forth, in EXACT terms.

Anecdotally I got behind Padme with it last Thursday and nearly put her off the board in one shot, with 4 crits. 

My usual feeling is you can probably average 2 crits on a 4 dice attack when your double modded with Marksmenship. Which Nien can achieve most of the time. 

What really makes this pay off is the choice of target. It really isn’t going to make a difference on most large base ships. But any agility 2/3 ship with mods can shrug off most of your damage. 

How often have you had that annoying TIE Fighter that against the law of averages, just won’t die. You push through 2 crits on that and you have a fair chance your taking it off the board. 

Something like a Vulture swarm its good for it too. You need to get consistent kills on a swarm like that, every round or it’ll snowball you quickly. With autoblasters you can negate all that coordinate sharing.