JJH_BATMAN

Barnes and Noble online sale! 50% all 2nd Edition content. UPDATE: SALE ENDED

11 hours ago, dadocollin said:

While I still think B&N doesn't know what they're doing, it's possible there is some strategy here.  I agree that the big-box stores are starting to catch wind of the rise of board games.  One very recent example:  Target has exclusive rights to the new D&D Essentials box for three months before anyone else (from Amazon to local stores) will have it.  Now, D&D is a little different because they're owned by Hasbro and one would think Hasbro would cater to the big stores if they could.  Still, if you look at a game like D&D, local stores and B&N can't even come close to touching Amazon prices on new releases.  If Amazon wanted to, they could probably single-handedly corner the X-wing market (if FFG would allow them).

As games like this grow in popularity, more and more places/sites will want a piece of the pie.  X-wing ships are expensive, so that can lead to lucrative sales, but also risk. I see several markets for X-wing product currently:

1. FFG direct - The only advantage here is getting product a few days before the game stores, but now they're offering free shipping on preorders as well, so you're not losing money ordering from them, but you are paying full retail price.  Still, for the "health" of FFG, if you can't order at a game store, you're cutting out the middle-man here and letting them reap the full profit.

2. Amazon - Can be very competitive on price, but don't seem to be ordering the volume yet themselves to dominate (yet).  A lot of ships still sold by third party sellers (who in many cases are game stores, cough cough), which means they can't discount quite as much.

3. Big Box stores like Target and Walmart - Not really in the X-wing game yet besides core sets.  Not competitive on price yet unless they have clearance.  I can see them being most worried about theft plus the risk/reward may not be there for the individual ships on such a large scale.

4. B&N - I put them in their own category because they're such an anomaly.  Sometimes I feel like they must be losing money with these deals.  Even at full retail price, you can still use 20% off coupons plus your 10% member discount.  Then, they have these crazy BOGO or clearance-price sales that look like they're getting rid of the game (which they did for a time in 1.0, at least at my store) and then they're back.  What if they actually negotiated early rights to this wave?  Probably not, but look at my D&D example above.

5. Big game sites like Coolstuffinc - They order in bulk, offer pre-order, and can be very competitive on price.  Also have loyalty discounts, but you often have to get past a certain spending threshold to get free shipping, which makes them not as competitive for one-off sales.  Still, if you don't have a game store and are price conscious, this may be the best option for pre-ordering an entire wave.

6. Local games stores - The good ones offer enough discounts, pre-order benefits, freebies at events, and local camaraderie to make them the go-to for many people, but there are large swaths of the country that don't have a good game store (like where I live).  It's worrying that they're facing so much competition.  I have two small stores locally and one has tried to start X-wing twice and abandoned it.  They keep getting stuck with product and it doesn't move fast enough.  (They also don't offer any FFG giveaway events and no discount that I could see.) The other place is more of a boardgame cafe, but they've recently flirted with carrying a little product.  I don't see it lasting here either because of a lack of any events and a lack of significant discounts.  

For me, Cool Stuff is my FLGS one of the only ones in Miami Florida. They also offer free store pick up on any item ordered on their site so win win. 

5 minutes ago, Mburnaugh64 said:

For me, Cool Stuff is my FLGS one of the only ones in Miami Florida. They also offer free store pick up on any item ordered on their site so win win. 

That is pretty great. I’ve been ordering minis from them for years.

14 hours ago, Gibbilo said:

My guess is that B&N (and also target) are finally realizing how big the games market is. Notice how big their game/lego section has gotten in their brick and mortar stores? Not that I'm complaining....when ever I walk into a B&N the first place I go is the game section :3

Back in the day, B&N and waldenbooks, wre often spots i picked up dnd books from (back in the 2e era of adnd)..

13 hours ago, dadocollin said:

3. Big Box stores like Target and Walmart - Not really in the X-wing game yet besides core sets.  Not competitive on price yet unless they have clearance.  I can see them being most worried about theft plus the risk/reward may not be there for the individual ships on such a large scale.

I often see X-wing material on walmarts SITE, but not once, have i ever seen anything in a store..

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, dadocollin said:

While I still think B&N doesn't know what they're doing, it's possible there is some strategy here. 

Eh, why wouldn't B&N just intentionally sell all of the new Waves early, as soon as they can?  They are a such a big retailer, it's not like AsmodeeNA is ever gonna penalize them or deny them product.  In return, by being the first seller on the street, B&N gets a ridiculous chunk of the North American sales for any new wave.

I'm pretty confident in saying that like 95% of all sales of any given X-Wing product occur as pre-sales and during its first week of release.

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

7 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Eh, why wouldn't B&N just intentionally sell all of the new Waves early, as soon as they can?  They are a such a big retailer, it's not like AsmodeeNA is ever gonna penalize them or deny them product.  In return, by being the first seller on the street, B&N gets a ridiculous chunk of the North American sales for any new wave.

I'm pretty confident in saying that like 95% of all sales of any given X-Wing product occur as pre-sales and during its first week of release.

I think 95% is too much.  I'd feel confident with 50-60%.  Remember ships will sell in gobs when a list becomes popular and many ships have gone through at least one reprint in the past, meaning people were coming along and buying them later.  You're right though, a huge chunk of the market takes place up front and in the days right before and after the release.

While I'd like to think B&N at this point has noticed X-wing sales and is strategizing, knowing B&N as I do from shopping there for years and actually doing some online support for them as a side gig once, they're fairly clueless on anything that isn't books (and even there are often clueless).

However, they have offered "B&N exclusive" editions of many Star Wars novels, which makes one think they have specifically targeted Star Wars as a place to pull away collector-type fans.  Who knows.