Jump to content
JJH_BATMAN

Barnes and Noble online sale! 50% all 2nd Edition content. UPDATE: SALE ENDED

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

ALL X-wing second edition content including wave 4 is 30 percent off! With a free code on the website you get an extra 20 percent off. This lasts until the 16th of this month.

 

UPDATE: Sale ended

Edited by JJH_BATMAN
I don't know if anyone else has posted this yet so sorry if you've already seen this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Barnes and Nobles crushing the friendly local gaming stores? 

First is BN just selling wave 4, while everyone else is prevented to sale by being ordered by FFG and their distributors to have it on hold, and now BN on top of it is price-dumping X-wing :(

Edited by Managarmr
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, prauxim said:

This is cool for people without a FLGS, but for everyone else, please remember that B&N isn't the business giving you a place to play every week.

Yeah. I bought most of my wave IV stuff on Friday from my FLGS, and now from B&N I'm just buying a few extra ships I didn't plan on getting. I wonder why B&N is doing this sale anyway, it doesn't seem that selling items that just came out at 50% off is good for business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, prauxim said:

This is cool for people without a FLGS, but for everyone else, please remember that B&N isn't the business giving you a place to play every week.

Repeat on this. I see this mainly as an incentive to get people into the game in the first place. On Reddit a bunch of people are saying they’re converting to 2.0 for the first time which is really where I see the value in these sales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, prauxim said:

This is cool for people without a FLGS, but for everyone else, please remember that B&N isn't the business giving you a place to play every week.

Yup. while I love book stores, I am really quite perturbed with B&N right now for how much they hosed local games stores by selling wave 4 early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JJH_BATMAN said:

Yeah. I bought most of my wave IV stuff on Friday from my FLGS, and now from B&N I'm just buying a few extra ships I didn't plan on getting. I wonder why B&N is doing this sale anyway, it doesn't seem that selling items that just came out at 50% off is good for business.

Honestly I didn't even know they sold x-wing till this debacle, so I would be surprised if some market analyst said "hey this **** is blowing up and we are selling to brand new customers, lets double down on it"

If you really want to get pessimistic, this big sale lining up with the actual street date leads to some shady implications

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of places have great deals today to compete with Prime Day over at Amazon.com. I think that's where this sale fits in to the big picture. Why X-wing particularly? Don't know, but amazon doesn't have deals this good, I can tell you that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, prauxim said:

Honestly I didn't even know they sold x-wing till this debacle

B&N had a sale back shortly after the Republic/Seps came out (wave 3?) where they were selling full on BOGO.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to have a friend pick up a couple of Hyenas for me and send them over, but alas the sale apparently doesn't extend to them. RIP. Still might be a cheaper way for me to get the three extra Rebel and extra Scum and Imperial conversion kits I need. I hate having to spend so much on those, I've been playing around the lack of dials.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Parakitor said:

A lot of places have great deals today to compete with Prime Day over at Amazon.com. I think that's where this sale fits in to the big picture. Why X-wing particularly? Don't know, but amazon doesn't have deals this good, I can tell you that.

My guess is that B&N (and also target) are finally realizing how big the games market is. Notice how big their game/lego section has gotten in their brick and mortar stores? Not that I'm complaining....when ever I walk into a B&N the first place I go is the game section :3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Gibbilo said:

My guess is that B&N (and also target) are finally realizing how big the games market is. Notice how big their game/lego section has gotten in their brick and mortar stores? Not that I'm complaining....when ever I walk into a B&N the first place I go is the game section :3

While I still think B&N doesn't know what they're doing, it's possible there is some strategy here.  I agree that the big-box stores are starting to catch wind of the rise of board games.  One very recent example:  Target has exclusive rights to the new D&D Essentials box for three months before anyone else (from Amazon to local stores) will have it.  Now, D&D is a little different because they're owned by Hasbro and one would think Hasbro would cater to the big stores if they could.  Still, if you look at a game like D&D, local stores and B&N can't even come close to touching Amazon prices on new releases.  If Amazon wanted to, they could probably single-handedly corner the X-wing market (if FFG would allow them).

As games like this grow in popularity, more and more places/sites will want a piece of the pie.  X-wing ships are expensive, so that can lead to lucrative sales, but also risk. I see several markets for X-wing product currently:

1. FFG direct - The only advantage here is getting product a few days before the game stores, but now they're offering free shipping on preorders as well, so you're not losing money ordering from them, but you are paying full retail price.  Still, for the "health" of FFG, if you can't order at a game store, you're cutting out the middle-man here and letting them reap the full profit.

2. Amazon - Can be very competitive on price, but don't seem to be ordering the volume yet themselves to dominate (yet).  A lot of ships still sold by third party sellers (who in many cases are game stores, cough cough), which means they can't discount quite as much.

3. Big Box stores like Target and Walmart - Not really in the X-wing game yet besides core sets.  Not competitive on price yet unless they have clearance.  I can see them being most worried about theft plus the risk/reward may not be there for the individual ships on such a large scale.

4. B&N - I put them in their own category because they're such an anomaly.  Sometimes I feel like they must be losing money with these deals.  Even at full retail price, you can still use 20% off coupons plus your 10% member discount.  Then, they have these crazy BOGO or clearance-price sales that look like they're getting rid of the game (which they did for a time in 1.0, at least at my store) and then they're back.  What if they actually negotiated early rights to this wave?  Probably not, but look at my D&D example above.

5. Big game sites like Coolstuffinc - They order in bulk, offer pre-order, and can be very competitive on price.  Also have loyalty discounts, but you often have to get past a certain spending threshold to get free shipping, which makes them not as competitive for one-off sales.  Still, if you don't have a game store and are price conscious, this may be the best option for pre-ordering an entire wave.

6. Local games stores - The good ones offer enough discounts, pre-order benefits, freebies at events, and local camaraderie to make them the go-to for many people, but there are large swaths of the country that don't have a good game store (like where I live).  It's worrying that they're facing so much competition.  I have two small stores locally and one has tried to start X-wing twice and abandoned it.  They keep getting stuck with product and it doesn't move fast enough.  (They also don't offer any FFG giveaway events and no discount that I could see.) The other place is more of a boardgame cafe, but they've recently flirted with carrying a little product.  I don't see it lasting here either because of a lack of any events and a lack of significant discounts.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would never have started playing X-wing, nor would I have ever known Game Stores existed if it weren't for seeing the ships at B&N.

So while I buy most of my stuff at the FLGS, I use my coupons and try to get enough at B&N in hopes they'll have incentive to keep it on the shelves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Gibbilo said:

My guess is that B&N (and also target) are finally realizing how big the games market is. Notice how big their game/lego section has gotten in their brick and mortar stores? Not that I'm complaining....when ever I walk into a B&N the first place I go is the game section :3

B&N has been selling games for years.  It’s where I first found X-Wing, like years and years ago.  I agree that their gaming selection has grown in size over the past few years, but they aren’t newbies to gaming retail...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dadocollin said:

While I still think B&N doesn't know what they're doing, it's possible there is some strategy here.  I agree that the big-box stores are starting to catch wind of the rise of board games.  One very recent example:  Target has exclusive rights to the new D&D Essentials box for three months before anyone else (from Amazon to local stores) will have it.  Now, D&D is a little different because they're owned by Hasbro and one would think Hasbro would cater to the big stores if they could.  Still, if you look at a game like D&D, local stores and B&N can't even come close to touching Amazon prices on new releases.  If Amazon wanted to, they could probably single-handedly corner the X-wing market (if FFG would allow them).

As games like this grow in popularity, more and more places/sites will want a piece of the pie.  X-wing ships are expensive, so that can lead to lucrative sales, but also risk. I see several markets for X-wing product currently:

1. FFG direct - The only advantage here is getting product a few days before the game stores, but now they're offering free shipping on preorders as well, so you're not losing money ordering from them, but you are paying full retail price.  Still, for the "health" of FFG, if you can't order at a game store, you're cutting out the middle-man here and letting them reap the full profit.

2. Amazon - Can be very competitive on price, but don't seem to be ordering the volume yet themselves to dominate (yet).  A lot of ships still sold by third party sellers (who in many cases are game stores, cough cough), which means they can't discount quite as much.

3. Big Box stores like Target and Walmart - Not really in the X-wing game yet besides core sets.  Not competitive on price yet unless they have clearance.  I can see them being most worried about theft plus the risk/reward may not be there for the individual ships on such a large scale.

4. B&N - I put them in their own category because they're such an anomaly.  Sometimes I feel like they must be losing money with these deals.  Even at full retail price, you can still use 20% off coupons plus your 10% member discount.  Then, they have these crazy BOGO or clearance-price sales that look like they're getting rid of the game (which they did for a time in 1.0, at least at my store) and then they're back.  What if they actually negotiated early rights to this wave?  Probably not, but look at my D&D example above.

5. Big game sites like Coolstuffinc - They order in bulk, offer pre-order, and can be very competitive on price.  Also have loyalty discounts, but you often have to get past a certain spending threshold to get free shipping, which makes them not as competitive for one-off sales.  Still, if you don't have a game store and are price conscious, this may be the best option for pre-ordering an entire wave.

6. Local games stores - The good ones offer enough discounts, pre-order benefits, freebies at events, and local camaraderie to make them the go-to for many people, but there are large swaths of the country that don't have a good game store (like where I live).  It's worrying that they're facing so much competition.  I have two small stores locally and one has tried to start X-wing twice and abandoned it.  They keep getting stuck with product and it doesn't move fast enough.  (They also don't offer any FFG giveaway events and no discount that I could see.) The other place is more of a boardgame cafe, but they've recently flirted with carrying a little product.  I don't see it lasting here either because of a lack of any events and a lack of significant discounts.  

I remember when the only place to buy D&D outside of a hobby store was either Barnes & Noble or Waldenbooks.  Here’s the thing, asmodee would probably prefer to negotiate with a few large retailers and give them volume discounts.  I bet B&N gets a decent discount as a company just by buying in bulk/paying early for product.  And it seems like most of their discounts are department/store wide, not only on Star Wars miniatures game products.  Although I thought a few months back I saw a discount specifically for STarw Wars TMG stuff.  I don’t think there’s a grand conspiracy on the part of asmodee/B&N to put pressure on LGS but I think it is just the realities of how consumers’ shopping habits have shifted from brick & mortar to online shopping.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...