Blail Blerg

What? No wave4 talk? No cool things to try and report?

Some interesting games on the Jacksonville HST stream.  In terms of new releases, mostly just showed Ric being kind of meh.  Nothing great from Hyena's, but they were weird hyenas (404 with a hull upgrade and coordinate drone with no upgrades that never coordinated).  No games with Transport.

10 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Cova with Leia is looking like a hit I gather

Sounds too expensive for me to think it’ll be a hit.

Most of the players in my area are just picking up their stuff. We will start seeing more use of the wave 4 content tomorrow as the first open play post release.

Local club had the wave in a little early for the game night last week.

The only new ship I saw was the N-1, and from what I heard around me Ric is very solid indeed. 

I played against Padme and Anakin. One game probably isn't enough to tell, but I don't think there's anything all that special about them as pilots. The N-1 as a chassis seems capable, and the dial especially is a real boon. I think that anyone not called Ric is going to rely on numbers or a super killy ace, though. 

That said, the person I played didn't have Juke on Padme. I think that's going to be practically stapled to her.

https://listfortress.com/tournaments/845

This tournament had Wave IV as legal, and I know some of the guys had gotten some Wave IV. I also played against the Vader+RAC list the night before, when two of them were playing it... It wasn't particularly fun, though I certainly could have beaten it if dice had swung my way a liiiiittle more, and I had made a couple of decisions differently (namely dropping my last Prox Mine on RAC, not expecting 1-Hull Vader to stay right where I could Mine him the next turn. :()

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MasterShake2 said:

Compensate for Dial?  I'm confused, I love the Hyena dial.  Then again, I'm used to Vultures, so getting 1 straights is a baller buff.

It's an[not very good]dial

Only white banks are speed 2; no speed 3.

It's really bad at getting around the place quickly, so you really want struts to make it a non-issue

Edited by ficklegreendice

2 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

It's an awful dial

Only white banks are speed 2; no speed 3.

It's really bad at getting around the place quickly, so you really want struts to make it a non-issue

Honestly, after getting used to droids, I don't miss the banks at all.  You just have to recontextualize how you approach situations.  I approach situations with droids wildly differently than anything else, but it's not "worse" it's just different and my success rate with droids has been a good bit higher than most other squdrons.

Posted (edited)

Had to buy me some of those sexy bwings! They are beatiful. I flew:

Corran with fcs and plasma torps

3x blue squadron naked

200 points

Love Bwings. Lotsa health and br -> focus is great for blocking as well.

Plasma torps were a bit of a let down tho. I got three hits on both my doible modded shots but still missed. Not having that 4th die hurts.

I basically only own 1 of every ship in the game. With the exception of tiefighter and xwings because of the core packs and epic ships. But i finally broke down and bought 2 extra bwings because they are so beautiful. Also, with the epic announcment freshly in the air and the wingtools i figured id want at least 3.

Edited by TBot

5 hours ago, MasterShake2 said:

In terms of new releases, mostly just showed Ric being kind of meh

Really?  How were they running him?   At 46 points with R2, I think he's a steal and should be in most republic lists (though not as the centerpiece).

37 minutes ago, AlexW said:

Really?  How were they running him?   At 46 points with R2, I think he's a steal and should be in most republic lists (though not as the centerpiece).

That's what they thought, but both games that I was able to just watch beginning to end and break down what he did, he was...meh.

Game 1) he was being used as a pocket ace, participated in the long range joust and did no damage, then couldn't follow the torrents in because he'd have to go too slow, so he looped around a rock, finally came back, took a pot shot that did minor damage, got blocked on a 3 bank in front of a Tallon rolling T-70 and then had to flee and regen to not give up points and he did that till time was called.  Net contribution 1 damage and eating a single attack.

Game 2)  little better this time, used as a flanker for sinker swarm, had trouble consistently staying on target and getting bonuses in the giant furball and couldn't simply break off, did a good bit more this time, but no better than an extra ARC 170 (which is incidentally what his opponent had and his opponetn won).

The pattern was pretty clear, his maneuver dial was so heavily dictated by both full throttle and his ability that it was hard to do what he needed to do and even with wide flanking maneuvers consistently had issues not overshooting.  And even when he did, if he didn't go faster than the other ship (like if they both did 3, which happened a lot) his damage and suitability just plummeted.  I'm not in the "he's trash" camp, at least yet, but neither game showed me a compelling reason as to why he was a better pick than just a vanilla ARC.

Posted (edited)

Cova and Leia did work today (alongside Poe and Nien). Coordinated Poe into a boost+Focus, turned his three-bank white, allowed him to get to range one of an unprepared Garven a turn before shooting should really have started. Put a Hull Breach through on Garven, took a shield in return, and then flipped behind the rest of the list in the following turns - stressless K-Turns and Tallons are nuts.

The ability to do it every turn is just stupid. Cova stayed out of the fight, more or less, but still got a kill shot through on Dutch late in the game.

Edited by Kreen

3 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

https://listfortress.com/tournaments/845

This tournament had Wave IV as legal, and I know some of the guys had gotten some Wave IV. I also played against the Vader+RAC list the night before, when two of them were playing it... It wasn't particularly fun, though I certainly could have beaten it if dice had swung my way a liiiiittle more, and I had made a couple of decisions differently (namely dropping my last Prox Mine on RAC, not expecting 1-Hull Vader to stay right where I could Mine him the next turn. :()

I won that tournament with Cova/Poe/Tallie!

https://raithos.github.io/?f=Resistance&d=v8ZhZ200Z351X172WWWW244WW2WY240X124W172W102WY231X172W5WW175WW171W134&sn=Leia Aces 2&obs=

Most of the responses I've seen here and on Reddit about Cova + Leia is that it's not worth it, or that the i1 generic is a better value. Digging in a little deeper, the concerns sound like people are either worried about damage output or are wanting to fly the Leia carrier like you would a 1.0 palp shuttle. Namely, try to keep it safe.

I couldn't possibly disagree more. Cova is probably the second-most dangerous ship in my list. I say "probably" because she might be the most dangerous, period. That little transport is one **** of a knife fighter. Infinite reds due to Leia make every turn a decision the enemy has a chance to mess up. Is Cova going backwards? Forwards? Staying where she is? Who knows! And if they guess wrong, they probably bumped Cova (making them easy pickin's for Poe and Tallie) or Cova is right behind them with a range 1 shot.

And that's not even considering the turns where you use Leia on one of the aces instead of on Cova herself.

She certainly put out more damage than Tallie over the course of the tournament. And took more punishment than Poe. She died twice the entire tournament, and one of those is on the only game I lost.

1 hour ago, player3503606 said:

Congrats! I can’t wait til I can afford the Transport (went all in on 3 Hyenas so far), because weird janky options are what I felt I was missing in the Resistance faction. Your post makes me that much more excited to try them out now!

So I think I'm giving up my 3 'yenas + sith idea

'yenas are stupid squishy, need support. Sith don't really support. Even Maul with dookrew is just a stupid power solo moreso than a support (seriously, easy to trigger dookrew like 3 times a round with this guy!)

after trying out 0-66, I'll probably dump the archetype

till then, though, here are some pics of why struts are the best thing ever

66708006_10161978154780142_6901870251189

obstructed attack:

67167786_10161978155780142_8919505806492

I will die on this hill:

67223997_10161978155825142_2142649941481

intense endgame:

67212497_10161978155960142_2970454838531

67175278_10161978156105142_1084870625429

66602603_10161978156255142_7098788647670

Posted (edited)

Wait, @player3503606, did you get an extra die for Cova when Leia-ing your red maneuvers? I know I’ve seen people talking about whether or not that should work, but I could’ve sworn the new Rules reference made it so that it didn’t work.

Edit: so the updated RR doesn’t say what I thought it did... but I still disagree that it should work that way, personally. Did the TO judge one way or another or was there enough consensus to not ask a TO over?

Edited by SpiderMana

1 hour ago, player3503606 said:

Its no doubt strong, but do you think R4 and Pattern Analyser achieves a similar effect if focusing on affecting Cova's dial? Leia obviously has the benefit of effecting other dials, and all of Cova's manoeuvres, but do you think R4+PA would work with your battle plan of using it as a spearhead?