Da_Brown_Bomber

Card Pack Speculation

Here is what I'm hoping we see...

• New unique pilots (generic pilots could appear on the flip side). 3-4 new pilots per pack would be awesome.
  • 2-3 ships in each pack (similar to the old ace expansions from 1.0). This makes sense because FFG can pair ships up less popular ships with the ones they know will sell. Individual ship card packs might be left on shelves.
  • Upgrade cards usable by the ships in the pack (autoblasters please)
  • Cross faction cards like 0-0-0, Moldy Crow, Maul crew and Hate available in your faction (Make these Alternative Art please)

I would like all of these things.  I would also like to see certain ships get ** and *** generics.  They could be completely identical to current generics in stats and slots, but better priced.

The TIE Phantom and the Quadjumper immediately come to mind.

Down the road I’d like to see squadron packs for each squadron to expand the pilot rosters and maybe bring a special ability to each squadron.

Posted (edited)

@SabineKey the Z-95 def needs some love. Mara Jade would be the shiz.

I miss crew like Tactician and Rebel Captive. Stress dealing is hard to pull off in 2.0. 4-LOM is probably the best at it but he's gone to ground now that Advanced Sensors got hiked up to 10. 

Imagine if Scum got a new illicit that was actually good (Contraband Cybernetics is now decent at 3pts but how about something that scum ships with the illicit slot can use in numbers). Rigged Cargo Chute is ok but its better with Trickshots and that just jumped up in price (probably still worth 4pts tho). Nothing as powerful as Glitterstim was in 1.0 but something GOOD.

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

I'm guessing we'll get them as individual faction specific packs (and numbered because new canon is coming out all the time now!). If that's how they're doing them, I kind of expect the first card pack for each faction to be kinda bulky to fill in factions with generic upgrades that haven't been released in that faction yet and the like. So, that said, any ship with let's say less than 4 named pilots get at LEAST enough named pilots to bump the total up to 4 (for instance A-Wings and B-Wings, TIE Punishers, TIE Phantoms, TIE Defenders), configuration cards that either enhance a ship that has new functionality (example: B-Wing) or to make it a NEW ship (example: make TIE Defenders in Defender Elites). On top of that, new titles for classic platforms (HWK-290, YT-1300 and 2400!). Heck, maybe they could give us new version of existing pilots (they are starred and could represent pilots at a different point in their career).

Given that their existence hasn't even been actually properly confirmed, I think people really need to temper their expectations for these packs. 

I wouldn't expect the packs to be ship specific, whether as singles or as groups. 

I wouldn't even expect them to contain new pilots. I know it's what everyone wants, myself included, but I wouldn't expect it. I'm not sure everyone's considered the practicalities. 

New pilots doesn't just mean new pilot cards, it means new cardboard bases. And that means the pack has to contain an insert for those bases. That's an additional production consideration, and affects how everything is packaged. The more ships involved in the pack, the more cardboard inserts. 

It would make far more sense in terms of profitability to limit these packs to just cards. 

Honestly, if card packs happen I'd expect them to just be for generic upgrades, much like the card pack for Legion. It's easy to produce, has minimal overheads in terms of new artwork and is of similar value to almost all players. 

Maybe they'll go faction specific and include some new upgrades, but that's the most I'd expect, unless we hear otherwise. 

I’m guessing the card pack will just be Wave 3-5 era generic upgrades made available to all factions. Also as a single card copy per pack (eg one autoblaster, one passive sensors etc) 

I would love to see more cardboard and cards to have new pilots for old ships. More z95 pilots, and I’d like to see some more legends/original trilogy pilots. Hobbie and Janson are both canon from Hoth, so I want them back.

i wouldn’t mind seeing some Awing love for the Rz-1. An ace pilot would be awesome, or something that would help get them more time on target. 

7 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

I’m guessing the card pack will just be Wave 3-5 era generic upgrades made available to all factions. Also as a single card copy per pack (eg one autoblaster, one passive sensors etc) 

I would love to see more cardboard and cards to have new pilots for old ships. More z95 pilots, and I’d like to see some more legends/original trilogy pilots. Hobbie and Janson are both canon from Hoth, so I want them back.

i wouldn’t mind seeing some Awing love for the Rz-1. An ace pilot would be awesome, or something that would help get them more time on target. 

Given the comparable pack in Legion, 2-3 copies per pack seem more likely. I suspect we'll also see cards that aren't easily obtainable in decent jumbers by all factions, like Proton Torpedoes, Autothrusters, and the like. If they do have a cardboard insert, it will probably be for bomb tokens, obstacles, and/or the spare parts token.

New pilots seem like a pipe dream, sadly.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Squark said:

When 2.0 was announced, the devs said that there would be new pilots that weren’t available in the conversion kits. They also said veteran players would have a way to get these pilots without buying new models. 

I think it was assumed that these pilots would be released in the new 2.0 expansions and be made available to veterans some other way (sort of like the bonus wave 1 pilots like thane and Norra that were packaged separately in the conversion kits). Now it seems like these pilots will only appear in card packs, which is awesome. 

Just started reading Alphabet Squadron and I can’t WAIT to fly them in X-wing. 

Heres my Rebel wishlist: 

X-wing

• Yrica Quell
  • Antoc Merrick
  • Wes Janson
  • Hobbie 

U-wing 

• K-2SO 
  • Kairos
  • Laren Joma

A-wing

• Wyl Lark
  • Shara Bey
  • Lu’lo Lampar 

Y-wing 

• Nath Tensent
  • Dex Tiree
  • Davish Krail

B-wing

• Chass Na Chadic 
  • Gina Moonsong
  • Hera Syndulla 

YT-2400

• Mart Mattin (Iron Squadron)
Edited by WAC47

59 minutes ago, Squark said:

Given the comparable pack in Legion, 2-3 copies per pack seem more likely. I suspect we'll also see cards that aren't easily obtainable in decent jumbers by all factions, like Proton Torpedoes, Autothrusters, and the like. If they do have a cardboard insert, it will probably be for bomb tokens, obstacles, and/or the spare parts token.

Legion is less upgrade card dependent than xwing. Most of the “auto includes” are the heavy weapon etc for a unit, which comes with that unit. Most of the cards they include 2+ of are things you already have 2+ of or don’t really need. Nobody is going to buy more than one, and many veteran players won’t but any.

X-wing is more card dependent, thus I expect them to be stingier with what they give out to force more sales. Anyone who isn’t buying new factions is for sure buying these, maybe in multiple if they only get 1 of the things they want in the card pack.

1 hour ago, WAC47 said:

When 2.0 was announced, the devs said that there would be new pilots that weren’t available in the conversion kits. They also said veteran players would have a way to get these pilots without buying new models. 

I think it was assumed that these pilots would be released in the new 2.0 expansions and be made available to veterans some other way (sort of like the bonus wave 1 pilots like thane and Norra that were packaged separately in the conversion kits). Now it seems like these pilots will only appear in card packs, which is awesome. 

Just started reading Alphabet Squadron and I can’t WAIT to fly them in X-wing. 

Heres my Rebel wishlist: 

X-wing

• Yrica Quell
  • Antoc Merrick
  • Wes Janson
  • Hobbie 

U-wing 

• K-2SO 
  • Kairos
  • Laren Joma

A-wing

• Wyl Lark
  • Shara Bey
  • Lu’lo Lampar 

Y-wing 

• Nath Tensent
  • Dex Tiree
  • Davish Krail

B-wing

• Chass Na Chadic 
  • Gina Moonsong
  • Hera Syndulla 

YT-2400

• Mart Mattin (Iron Squadron)

It's been a while, but I think that was in the context of, "If rereleased ships get new pilots not found in the conversion kit, they will also get a smaller release so you don't need to rebuy a model you own". I don't know that it was a promise of new pilots for old ships. Also, if they do include cardboard in the card pack, I think the new tokens are a higher priority.

1 hour ago, ScummyRebel said:

Legion is less upgrade card dependent than xwing. Most of the “auto includes” are the heavy weapon etc for a unit, which comes with that unit. Most of the cards they include 2+ of are things you already have 2+ of or don’t really need. Nobody is going to buy more than one, and many veteran players won’t but any.

X-wing is more card dependent, thus I expect them to be stingier with what they give out to force more sales. Anyone who isn’t buying new factions is for sure buying these, maybe in multiple if they only get 1 of the things they want in the card pack.

I don't know that excessive stinginess is in FFG'S best interest. Keeping the barrier to entry reasonable is important. Thay being said, even if we limit ourselves to factionless cards which are Hyperspace legal and do not have corresponding cardboard*, X-wing does have a much larger card pool, which might affect card numbers.

*Legion's upgrade pack does not include the new Smoke Grenades card, because it requires a smoke token, which has a specific dimension, much like a bomb token. It does, however, include the new cards Aggressive Tactics and Force Guidance, which use new tokens that don't involve measurements, so we might see delayed fuses.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, GuacCousteau said:

Given that their existence hasn't even been actually properly confirmed, I think people really need to temper their expectations for these packs. 

every person in this thread has different expectations so no matter what ffg does most of them will be disappointed

edit: which is, originally, ffg's fault for unclear communication... but then, that in turn goes back to the community clamoring for information from ffg earlier in the development cycle than they're ready to announce things

Edited by svelok

19 minutes ago, svelok said:

every person in this thread has different expectations so no matter what ffg does most of them will be disappointed

edit: which is, originally, ffg's fault for unclear communication... but then, that in turn goes back to the community clamoring for information from ffg earlier in the development cycle than they're ready to announce things

You can have expectations/theories without being so attached to them that you’re disappointed when things turn out differently. And you can even enjoy the outcome even if it doesn’t match your expectations  

Feel like this is something all Star Wars fans need to remember. 

Posted (edited)

I wish to see new T65 pilots, Antoc Merrick among them. So much screentime in arguably the best SW movie, and no appearance in arguably the best SW boardgame...

Oh, and some high-initiative ace for RZ1, too :D

Edited by rhetor

16 minutes ago, rhetor said:

I wish to see new T65 pilots

25 minutes ago, JJH_BATMAN said:

Corran in an X-wing

1 hour ago, Squark said:

X-wing

• Yrica Quell
  • Antoc Merrick
  • Wes Janson
  • Hobbie 

its also very odd to me that of all the things to put on a wishlist, "more pilots for a ship with 12 existing pilots" is a common one

12 hours ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

I miss crew like Tactician and Rebel Captive.

525327139202007057.png 

2 minutes ago, svelok said:

its also very odd to me that of all the things to put on a wishlist, "more pilots for a ship with 12 existing pilots" is a common one

It's probably because the fact that it's a very well known ship with a multitude of pilots that aren't in the game. 

Posted (edited)

B-6 Prototype Title for the B-Wing:

+1 Agility

"Reduce the difficulty of your basic maneuvers"

Add Gunner Slot.

14 points.

Composite Laser Beam Double-cannon upgrade:

Bullseye attack, 6 dice.

Attack: Spend three charges and gain 3 ion tokens to perform this attack. Turn all [hit] results to [crit] results.

After you engage, if all your charges are active, lose all of your charges.

3 charges, recurring. 8 points.

Hera Syndulla - Phoenix Leader

Initiative 5, B-Wing and A-Wing.

"You can perform actions and execute red maneuvers while you have 2 or fewer stress tokens. After you fully execute a blue maneuver, remove all of your stress tokens."

Something for the B-Wing's cannons would be nice, but I'm beginning to think it would be unnecessary if the cannons actually had reasonable costs (2-4 pts). Maybe more Sensor options to help with bullseye?

Edited by ClassicalMoser

26 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Attack: Spend three charges and gain 3 ion tokens to perform this attack.

Having 3 Ion tokens on a small base is the same as having one. All of them are removed after the Ionized Maneuver.

That said the upgrade would have to be in the Moldy Crow range price wise with the 6 red and all hits>crits conversion.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

Having 3 Ion tokens on a small base is the same as having one. All of them are removed after the Ionized Maneuver.

That said the upgrade would have to be in the Moldy Crow range price wise with the 6 red and all hits>crits conversion.

I’m aware of that. It’s to ensure that the ship is ionized regardless of size.

Attack is well worth it though. Still, you miss your opportunity and it doesn’t come around for 3 more turns, one of which you’ll be ionized. A bullseye every three turns is easy enough to avoid which is why I didn’t price it higher. I did mean to make it unique.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

As much as I want it to be new pilots for old ships and even new upgrades I have a sneaking suspicion that the cards are going to be existing, older generic upgrades only. Prove me wrong, FFG.