Kehl_Aecea

Passive sensors, Autoblasters, Angled Deflectors, Plasma Torps, and the rest

So, our new (to 2.0) toys... how are they? I've been stuck helping with wedding things (not my wedding, a whole lot of drama... being a good friend/groomsman) and I haven't had a chance to try out ANYTHING from this wave yet. How have these been working out for you? What have you been using them on? Are delayed fuses worth it? What about the new ordinances? Dying to hear people's thoughts on these :D 

Haven't tried it yet (not exactly), but I'm keen to put Delayed Fuses on a Bomblet Miranda.  With a fuse counter, that greatly changes how it can be used as a zoning tool.  Against an opponent with Fuses, you kind of have to plot moves so that neither this turn's--nor next turn's--maneuvers land in a spot to explode.  In some ways, it reminds me of how Rebel Nym used to use Bomblets in the 1e.

Why Bomblets instead of Proton Bombs?  I don't recall who, but someone onhere suggested that Miranda can more easily give up a shield, than she can give up an action and an attack.  If she could attack while reloading, it wouldn't be an issue, but she can't.  It's easy to regain those shields if you're attacking every round, plus you'll get two charges, instead of the one from a Reload action.

51 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Haven't tried it yet (not exactly), but I'm keen to put Delayed Fuses on a Bomblet Miranda.  With a fuse counter, that greatly changes how it can be used as a zoning tool.  Against an opponent with Fuses, you kind of have to plot moves so that neither this turn's--nor next turn's--maneuvers land in a spot to explode.  In some ways, it reminds me of how Rebel Nym used to use Bomblets in the 1e.

Why Bomblets instead of Proton Bombs?  I don't recall who, but someone onhere suggested that Miranda can more easily give up a shield, than she can give up an action and an attack.  If she could attack while reloading, it wouldn't be an issue, but she can't.  It's easy to regain those shields if you're attacking every round, plus you'll get two charges, instead of the one from a Reload action.

🤨 Mandatory 1 die primary attack (2 dice if you dive into range 1) on the turns you want to regen her shield. That's worth being able to Bomblet spam to you?

•Miranda Doni

14 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

🤨 Mandatory 1 die primary attack (2 dice if you dive into range 1) on the turns you want to regen her shield. That's worth being able to Bomblet spam to you?

•Miranda Doni

Seeing that card art and thinking "irrelevant" is beautifully liberating.

9 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

Makes it better than Proton Bomb, which is NO ATTACKS for two rounds to gain two charges.  And maybe there's spare points for Hotshot Gunner, to strip tokens with that 1-die primary.

Miranda seems like she can be a bit of a pest, 49 points will get Bomblets and Fuses, with a ship which can zone pretty well and maybe throw 4-dice range 1 attacks.  Toss on something like Jyn Erso, and you've got a 51 point support ship which dies slower than it should due to regen and SLAM, and can sometimes spike damage.  Not going to set the pond on fire, but probably a decent piece for the right list.

Anyhow, flew Miranda/Dash for one game, and the Delayed Fuses felt good, landing two bombs on the target I wanted (Vennie slowly banking around with too much stress), while not hitting any of my own ships.

Now, the Bomblets rolled double-focus twice, but thems dice for you.  Proton would have been better in that particular game, but hard to say that'd always be the case.

Meanwhile, Jyn Erso Miranda is a TANK.  That's two damage prevented each round, so it's hard to make progress against her.  Meanwhile, there was another turn I was able to roll 4-dice into Tallie to finish her off.  Totally felt like a worthwhile 51 point ship.

Posted (edited)
On 7/13/2019 at 10:43 PM, Hiemfire said:

•Miranda Doni

On 7/14/2019 at 8:24 AM, theBitterFig said:

Hotshot Gunner

I4 1-die primary is beautiful for this. Set up shots for a Juking Wulfwarro or whatever. It's great.

In epic I'd probably give her VTG to double-regen every turn.

Alternatively, ASLAM and Proton bombs is enough to make her worthwhile. You can SLAM and reload on one turn, shoot to regen on the other turn.

Generally speaking, her attack is solely for the purpose of regen. HSG is basically a must if you want any offensive power out of her, or VTG if you'd rather double-down on regen.

But even with that full loadout she costs a measly 55-56 points!

That's her true value.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

3 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

In epic I'd probably give her VTG to double-regen every turn.

🤨 Very important section of Miranda's ability.

"if you are not shielded, you may roll 1 fewer attack die to recover 1 shield."

VTG double regen doesn't work. Part of the reason she isn't flown as much as she was in 1.0 is she cannot regen her shields to full via her ability.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

VTG to double-regen every turn.

Sadly wouldn’t work. She can only regen while unshielded, which would not be the case after recovering a shield on the first attack. You could regen on one, then spend to buff the second, though. 

Edited by asterborn

Posted (edited)

My issue (only one) with Passive Sensors on LI ships is there is no way to modify defense dice whey they're getting attacked without including synergy in the list (Garven to pass a focus token, for example) to augment rolls. 

Anyone have any suggestions on how to work with the fact that PS prevents defense dice modification of LI ships? I'm open to any ideas. 

Edited by Scopes

only seen Autoblasters on resistance transport

basically stapled onto them imo

For two points (basically what I claimed would be the highest possible cost while still being viable, so I'm happy with that) you have the potential of hitting FAR above your 2-die primary weight class. Basically means your transport can't be trivially ignored, while also allowing you to take some advantage of stuff like c3po or Nodin' modding themselves while modding others 

4 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

only seen Autoblasters on resistance transport

basically stapled onto them imo

For two points (basically what I claimed would be the highest possible cost while still being viable, so I'm happy with that) you have the potential of hitting FAR above your 2-die primary weight class. Basically means your transport can't be trivially ignored, while also allowing you to take some advantage of stuff like c3po or Nodin' modding themselves while modding others 

I need about 8 copies of Autoblasters.

For Scyks.

I'm liking Passive Sensors and Ion Torpedoes. Locks are as good as guaranteed, it's a cheap four dice attack, and most importantly, it creates a huge no-go zone for any ace without three greens and a token stack.

Nus and Bravos are tough enough to survive the initial joust, and while Battle Meditation and Sai don't work, Plo and Vizier do.

Of the new cards:

Passive sensors. Thought they'd make E wings better. FCS is still the least bad. But hey, the SF is now hyper efficient slap a missile and or fanatical and go. Super Kylo can now choose between 1 SF buddy or 2 of them with clusters. I think the latter is better.

And the obvious: they make low init munitions so viable. Gunboats be praised!

Plasmas: Neato cheap alternative to pro torps. Each munition has it's own use and nuance, and I love that. These, however, pack quite the efficiency, until you face droids...

Autoblaster: Pairs excellently with marksmanship. Neat with defenders, but great on Poe.

Angled deflectors: janky on Feroph, meh on most things, but pretty good on support ARC 170s like Sinker or a plasma Jag.

2 hours ago, Scopes said:

My issue (only one) with Passive Sensors on LI ships is there is no way to modify defense dice whey they're getting attacked without including synergy in the list (Garven to pass a focus token, for example) to augment rolls. 

Anyone have any suggestions on how to work with the fact that PS prevents defense dice modification of LI ships? I'm open to any ideas. 

I’m assuming by getting attacked you mean getting attacked by ships with a higher initiative than the PS carrying ship.

That IS a problem but a problem that PS wasn’t intended to provide a solution to.  

Will I be able to get a lock on the higher Init ship once I move?  And do I think that said ship will be within range to get a lock on it?  Then you may want to passive sensors this turn and get a lock.  You’ll just have to roll defense dice with no mods.  Usually I’ve used it to initially get the lock, take shots, then next round focus/evade or even passive sensors calculate to stack tokens.  Although passive sensors calculate seems kinda weird, just take a Focus if you already have a lock.

It does work better if you have a friend to give you tokens, like a Bravo N-1 can move 3-5, perform an evade action, during its perform action step do passive sensors, other ships move, acquire a lock from PS charge, spend the evade on defense, then in round 2 move another 3-5, perform an evade, during its perform action step Focus, take shots, spend the evade and spend the Focus on defense and Obi can spend a force to give Bravo another Focus for attack on the ship it has locked.  The problem here is having to make excuses to go 3-5 just to get the evade.  But with Obi close you really just need to Focus...

Posted (edited)

Autoblasters are great. Plasma Torps are great and hit harder than their 3 red dice would suggest. The one I am most surprised with and believe has the potential to devastate your opponent is Diamond-Boron Missiles. This thing can be nasty. I swapped out my ProTorps on Vynder for Plasma Torps and Diamond-Boron Missiles (DBM?). This thing can decimate your opponents TIE or Separatist swarm. Of course it is all up to how the rolls go so it could be super nasty or a dud in any given launch but it is a lot of fun and quite exciting to see a bunch of other ships roll for damage.

Now to figure out a Scum list to use this in to get Jostero some flight time. 

Edit: Sadly there isn't a Scum ship that can take it. Not even the Kimo :(

Edited by Skitch_

Posted (edited)

To build on dbm, imo it's easily the best ordnance for its cost 

Now it doesn't look like much more than a 3 die, but the fact that its splash affects the initial target and that it only costs six points is everything

You might think there's an issue with having to spend another charge to get the badaboom. To this I say, "man I don't expect my Baktoid to survive past two rounds anyway!"

For a measly point over an ESC (not counting the two point baktoid tax, but that's mainly for FCS), it's solid gold (diamond)

Been using probe droids on other hyena or on Sith to avoiding needing passive sensors. Fcs lets you keep the lock on target till it asplodes 

Edited by ficklegreendice

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

To build on dbm, imo it's easily the best ordnance for its cost 

Now it doesn't look like much more than a 3 die, but the fact that its splash affects the initial target and that it only costs six points is everything

You might think there's an issue with having to spend another charge to get the badaboom. To this I say, "man I don't expect my Baktoid to survive past two rounds anyway!"

For a measly point over an ESC (not counting the two point baktoid tax, but that's mainly for FCS), it's solid gold (diamond)

Been using probe droids on other hyena or on Sith to avoiding needing passive sensors. Fcs lets you keep the lock on target till it asplodes 

Best missile for its cost, definitely (though Prockets and Barrage are still quite efficient). It really shows Concussion Missiles up for how overpriced they are.

The trick with missiles is getting the stupid lock for the cheap scrubs that can't afford to shell out for PS, SC, or TS. Probe Droids are amazingly cost efficient in that regard.

Imagine paying three points for passive sensors so you can spend another four on ... Ion missiles? Or paying six for Targeting Syncronizer so you can spend another five on cluster or Homing missiles. Just seems kind of sad to me. But even that isn't possible on the poor RZ-1, TIE/sa, or Z-95. The opportunity cost will definitely keep the original missiles out of play until their cost goes down. They're always the weak link in a list that depends on them.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

Posted (edited)

Eh, it's fine that Borons are limited (both figurtively and in game terms) and I like that scrubs need a little help from their friends given how efficiently priced borons are

Also, the art clearly shows them as "anti good guy" missiles, so it makes sense the CiS and Empire (sensors boat, punishers especially unique ones; Jendon support) make the best use of them!

No one but those factions could really afford ****** diamond missiles anyway

Edited by ficklegreendice

42 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Eh, it's fine that Borons are limited (both figurtively and in game terms) and I like that scrubs need a little help from their friends given how efficiently priced borons are

Also, the art clearly shows them as "anti good guy" missiles, so it makes sense the CiS and Empire (sensors boat, punishers especially unique ones; Jendon support) make the best use of them!

You sure about that...?

3217537E-74F4-4FC7-B9E0-ADBC0AB4F349.jpeg

1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

Right and I’m not arguing for DBM to be better; I really like it’s price. I only wish the rest of the missiles were good.