Sign in to follow this  
Ryuneke

Aces Over

I started playing X Wing with the Scum faction. It’s about time to come home.

With 3 decent I6 pilots I built this squad and looking for suggestions:

Dengar (56)
Contraband Cybernetics (3)
Punishing One (8)
R2 Astromech (4)

Han Solo (54)
Trick Shot (4)
Qi’ra (2)

Fenn Rau (68)
Total: 199

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

I’m playing Fenn naked or with predator because he wants to arc dodge and fearless is not exactly the best option for that purpose. 

Han with Qi’ra and Trick Shot is a nice combo for only 60 points.

Dengar is finally in a spot where he might be worth playing. The regen droid is a good addition because Dengar will disengage thanks to his horrible dial.

A 2 point bid should be enough because of all ships are at I6.

What do you think? Do you suggest any changes?

Edited by Ryuneke

I really don't believe Dengar (or the JM5k in general) is worth taking, even now. The novelty of having all three In6 pilots is nice, but it wears off quickly when you realize that Dengar is largely dead weight who will struggle to keep arc on anything because of how atrociously the ship manages stress. Just about anything else would be a better use of the 68pts spent on him - Teroch, Talonbane, Kavil - ****, you can even get a Dorsal/VTG Lok Revenant for the equivalent of Dengars' *base* price!

24 minutes ago, FriendofYoda said:

3 ships at I6 seems definitely worth trying out, I'd be interested to see how you do with this. I threw a similar version together with no droid on Dengar but Title on Han - not sure that's better.

Do you think the title for 6 points is worth it? 

I, too, kinda think I'd rather have the title on the Falcon than Trick Shot.  Qi'ra is nice (I liked her on Boba), but I'd also probably cut her if I needed to.

With Dengar, R2 is an option, but R5-P8 might also be worth considering.  Dengar *can* easily die, but he's also probably not the most likely or desirable endgame ship, and so regen seems less important.  And also, if he pops R2, that will also shut off his revenge shot.  However, R5-P8 helps ensure that you've got strong mods on both your attacks in a turn with Dengar.  Getting as much damage out of Dengar as possible in as short of a time seems like the best plan, and R5-P8 seems like the best way to do that on a budget.  There's no room for Torpedoes or anything like that, in this particular list.

9 hours ago, JBFancourt said:

I’d put R3 on Dengar. 

I’m not a fan of R3 at all. Never enjoyed having him on board. 

10 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

but R5-P8 might also be worth considering. 

Pain Bot is something I considered, too. Do you think 3 charges are enough to really do enough work? 

The thing with R2 is that Dengars gonna joust no matter what because he desperately wants his revenge shot. Having 2 regen charges really helps while he disengages and until now he has 1-2 rounds without having a shot. 

10 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

I'd rather have the title on the Falcon than Trick Shot.  Qi'ra is nice (I liked her on Boba), but I'd also probably cut her if I needed to.

Yeah, the title and Hans ability gives you a good chance to roll pretty constantly 3 red dice. You can drop R2 for title+trick shot and Qi’ra. Seems good.

49 minutes ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

have you considered Greedo on Dengar? I find Dengar is my most expendable ship in a squad like this. 

The question is, is greedo better than a 2 point bid? Greedo seems legit because Dengars spending his charge at I6...

5 hours ago, Ryuneke said:

Pain Bot is something I considered, too. Do you think 3 charges are enough to really do enough work? 

The thing with R2 is that Dengars gonna joust no matter what because he desperately wants his revenge shot. Having 2 regen charges really helps while he disengages and until now he has 1-2 rounds without having a shot.

Fair enough with the disengage, I've enjoyed R2 on a bunch of stuff.  Both are probably fine.  I guess my preference is just to try to make Dengar as damage-forward as possible.

I tested two builds: 

1) Dengar with R2 and Han with Title.

I really appreciated having R2. I used both charges in the two games I played. 

Han with title was alright. Unfortunately I played against a couple of Jedi...those guys aren’t stressed often. Another thing I missed was Qi’ra.

2) Dengar with R5-P8 and Han with Trickshot and Qi’ra. Fenn with Crackshot

This Han felt good. Been able to land on rocks to get of both trickshot and his ability can be devastating. Especially if you combine it with a 5 dice Fenn and a double tapping Dengar. Painbot is good and definitely helps in the early game. I spent those charges super aggressive to push damage through. Crack Shot brings the list up to 200 points but that’s fine. This one point card can be game changing. I don’t think a 1 point bid is doing that much anyway.

Edited by Ryuneke

Got a different build. Stripped contraband and Fenns talent for title on Han. Here are my questions:

1) are there many ships flying around atm that generate stress?

2) Is contraband + Qi’ra + talent on Fenn worth the title?

3) How do you like it compared to the original list?

Dengar (56)
Punishing One (8)
R2 Astromech (4)

Han Solo (54)
Trick Shot (4)
Lando’s Millennium Falcon (6)

Fenn Rau (68)
Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Edited by Ryuneke