SithLrd88

Armada Completionist thinking about getting into X-Wing?

Hello All!

I am a Completionist when it comes to Armada, usually just collecting one of each ship/expansion for casual games with the wife. I do collect both factions, and as you know even collecting one of everything is still pretty pricey in the end (I still want that SSD, gods willing!).

Especially with the recent article on huge ship play and rules for X-Wing, I've been wondering whether to get into it or not. I feel you can't really be a Completionist for X-WING, but rather need to buy multiples of many ships to build different squadrons and what not.

Since I've only watched/read about X-WING and don't know that much, I'm wondering if people from the Armada community dabble in both games, and whether it's worth investing into if I'm not really Keen on doing multiples of everything I buy?

Again, if I did get into X-Wing, it would just be casual play, not tournament level. Thanks!

I started playing x-wing 2.0 last October after already playing Armada and like you just play it casually with friends. It is very different game from Armada, but also a lot of fun.

For some of the top tier squads you would indeed need multiples of the same ships, but not for all top tier lists. Some have all different ships. 

But if you only want to play casual games at home then you can easily go with just 1 of each and build fun lists to play against each other.

You do need full 200pt squads to make it fun though, just the core game is really boring 

6 hours ago, SithLrd88 said:

Hello All!

I am a Completionist when it comes to Armada, usually just collecting one of each ship/expansion for casual games with the wife. I do collect both factions, and as you know even collecting one of everything is still pretty pricey in the end (I still want that SSD, gods willing!).

Especially with the recent article on huge ship play and rules for X-Wing, I've been wondering whether to get into it or not. I feel you can't really be a Completionist for X-WING, but rather need to buy multiples of many ships to build different squadrons and what not.

Since I've only watched/read about X-WING and don't know that much, I'm wondering if people from the Armada community dabble in both games, and whether it's worth investing into if I'm not really Keen on doing multiples of everything I buy?

Again, if I did get into X-Wing, it would just be casual play, not tournament level. Thanks!

Yes you can absolutely dabble in both, and I would argue that x-wing is better equipped to cater to casual play atm, because of the solo missions available which all have a nice little narrative to give you an alternative to the standard x-wing brawl.  And yes absolutely feel free to skip over as much as you want in x-wing, unlinked Armada x-wing has an embarrassing number of different ships, and you only need to get a percentage of that to have a really good pool of ships to call upon.

X-wing superficially resembles armada - similar models, obstacles, artwork, custom 8-sided dice etc, but in reality it's a very, very different game.

Where armada is all about planning a battle between huge, lumbering giants (and yes, even corvettes have poor maneuverability by X-wing standards), X-wing simulates the chaos of second-to-second engagement of small starfighters, where ships routinely change course by 180 degrees. As a result, the mechanics of the game are much more simple. Planning is far less important, there are no missions, so it's a simple dogfight, range between ships also matters far less, there is no squadron minigame (obviously) and being a first or a second player isn't nearly as decisive.

What does matter a lot is how you maneuver. Since ships are far more unpredictable in X-wing and the maneuver you perform is chosen in secret at the beginning of each round, X-wing is a game of constant guessing and mindgaming, which makes it very engaging and entertaining despite it's simplicity. It's a quick, high-octane experience that is a nice break from the careful and deliberate planning of battles in Armada.

In other words, do get it - it's a lot of fun.

Posted (edited)

I would avoid dumping an expansive amount of money into it before getting to feel the game out. Maybe pick up a second hand 1.0 lot and convert it with the kit before going all-in. 

I snagged a second hand lot for cheap and used the conversion kit. I have mixed feelings for the game, as I like the idea, and even most of the mechanics. I do feel however that the biggest drawback is the attack/defense dice system. Unlike Armada, you do not have a set of defenses predetermined by your ship, instead you have a defensive "agility" number that determines how many dice you roll. To me, this sucks all the fun out of the game. I've had experiences where a perfectly maneuvered squadron of ties gets TKO'd 2nd or 3rd round merely because they're dependent on chance. The Aces typically have abilities that allow for dice modification, which is how the game supposedly offsets the chance of dice, but I also feel like this tends to over saturate the game with named characters. It feels less about dogfighting and more about which ace combo is wearing the biggest **** shaped hat.

That said, I only put about $80 in and I have a nearly complete IMP collection for 2.0 and can play if there's nothing else going on, so I don't feel it was a waste. I'd just be cautious, X-wing simply isn't Armada.

Edited by Darth Sanguis

1 hour ago, Darth Sanguis said:

I would avoid dumping an expansive amount of money into it before getting to feel the game out. Maybe pick up a second hand 1.0 lot and convert it with the kit before going all-in. 

I snagged a second hand lot for cheap and used the conversion kit. I have mixed feelings for the game, as I like the idea, and even most of the mechanics. I do feel however that the biggest drawback is the attack/defense dice system. Unlike Armada, you do not have a set of defenses predetermined by your ship, instead you have a defensive "agility" number that determines how many dice you roll. To me, this sucks all the fun out of the game. I've had experiences where a perfectly maneuvered squadron of ties gets TKO'd 2nd or 3rd round merely because they're dependent on chance. The Aces typically have abilities that allow for dice modification, which is how the game supposedly offsets the chance of dice, but I also feel like this tends to over saturate the game with named characters. It feels less about dogfighting and more about which ace combo is wearing the biggest **** shaped hat.

That said, I only put about $80 in and I have a nearly complete IMP collection for 2.0 and can play if there's nothing else going on, so I don't feel it was a waste. I'd just be cautious, X-wing simply isn't Armada.

My X-Wing dice are notorious locally, so I really hate rolling in X-Wing. I have had friends and family quite because of the dice. I have had Whisper full health, roll 6 dice and still get 1-shotted, on more than one occasion, and my poor man Soontir as well. 2.0 has changed the way the defense works a little so it is not as bad, but it is still based on the same setup. Armada got the dice correct with ranges and I really like the way Legion handles their defense dice. I stopped going to X-Wing tournaments in 1.0 when rebel players were rolling 4-6 red dice and you could not defend against them and they got an extra hit because of Sabine. 

X-Wing is still my first and favorite FFG game, maybe favorite due to being first, but besides X-Wing  tournaments being shorter, I much prefer Armada, LCG or Legion tournaments and communities. The most fun I had playing X-Wing was the fan made Heroes of the Aturi Cluster, my friends and I still play this.

Just now, Cusm said:

I have had Whisper full health, roll 6 dice and still get 1-shotted, on more than one occasion, and my poor man Soontir as well.

I can't tell you how often I hear this story lol but it's a lot. 

Just now, Cusm said:

Armada got the dice correct with ranges and I really like the way Legion handles their defense dice.

I love Armada's dice and defense system. Honestly it's perfect. Legion was a near miss, it's almost perfect. The white defense dice need help.  I'd honestly rather everything have red, and units with armor either get surge to block or an actual keyword that gives armor 1 or something. White defense dice, in combination with high velocity, sharpshooter, blast and pierce, all of which are fairly common now, are hot garbage. Rebels are insanely hard to play against any imperial player that has any idea of what they're doing. 

4 minutes ago, Cusm said:

X-Wing is still my first and favorite FFG game, maybe favorite due to being first, but besides X-Wing  tournaments being shorter, I much prefer Armada, LCG or Legion tournaments and communities. The most fun I had playing X-Wing was the fan made Heroes of the Aturi Cluster, my friends and I still play this.

I think I'll always feel the same way about Armada too. lol

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Darth Sanguis said:

I love Armada's dice and defense system. Honestly it's perfect. Legion was a near miss, it's almost perfect. The white defense dice need help.  I'd honestly rather everything have red, and units with armor either get surge to block or an actual keyword that gives armor 1 or something. White defense dice, in combination with high velocity, sharpshooter, blast and pierce, all of which are fairly common now, are hot garbage. Rebels are insanely hard to play against any imperial player that has any idea of what they're doing. 

I love it in Legion when you see 10 hits against you, but you roll 10 defensive dice. Or Armada when you see that and make them reroll and then take half the damage and then shields.

Edited by Cusm

To hit things from a different perspective I played X-wing and have recently started armada.

You could be a completionist and just focus on flying ace lists, as most ace lists don’t run multiple of the same ship.

I think the only factions where you would need duplicates to have a chance would be seperatist, republic, or maybe first order.

-Rebels are popular lately with a U-wing with Leia, and 3 aces from x/y/b/z wing platforms.

-Scum really only work with aces atm, kinda in a bad place atm, lots of scum ships only work well with unique titles so less duplicates required.

-Empire does really well with aces.

-Resistance is an ace faction, less numbers bc the ships are flat better.

-First order would probably want a duplicate of the tie/sf, but otherwise 1 of each should be fine.

If you're playing casual, then it's great.

I'm not a fan on x-wing tournaments because I don't want to play the game of optimising lists, I just want to play star wars battles.

So I mostly play missions and scenarios at home, my son and I have heaps of fun coming up with different daring raids and imperial crackdowns for our games.

Lots of ties for the Empire is a must for thematic reasons =P

I am a Star Wars model nut already far along down the line of collecting Armada and X-Wing.   I’m a little crazier as in general i want ‘two’ of each ship type unless they’re named (Think Chimera or Profundity) 

I also have let this affliction take over from X-Wing.  I started there first actually.   If you have the money and the spouse won’t kick you out of the house go for it. 

problems will be:

Card Storage

Ship Storage

Dial Storage

you are throwing away so much cardboard and plastic when you open these things.  I save the ziploc bags but i have a million of them it seems like.  I wish there was a better way to package allot his stuff.

It makes for great models though.  I take some to work and rotate through my desk.   The ‘epic ship’ you might get lucky and find some 1.0s for half the price right now, they weren’t selling and places are marking them down like Amazon has the CROC for 50.  But it won’t take long for those to spike back up.  I managed to grab the CROC and Raider for $25 each about four months ago.    So you can find things for sales.

That said I also run into Pokémon issues.   Gotta have them all.  Right now it bugs the heck out of me I can’t find a K-Wing anywhere.  I started x-wing after it’d been out a while and never got the two of those.   The 2.0 upgrade made me twitchy, and now i have all these 1.0 cards that I can’t throw away but are useless if I want to play the game with others.   I hope Armada doesn’t get a 2.0 with the rumored clone wars stuff coming.   It was a bummer when x-wing dumped the tiny card now I have all these sleeves and no where to use them.

so yeah you can go crazy.   Join me :)  Feldherr must love me I have a ton of their foam to store things.

Everything ive heard of XWING reminds me of Middle Earth Factions.

- Republic: Good line units with lots of heroes to choose from, but you can only field like 1 or 2 and should use your units for support (Numenor)

- CIS: Swarm, but with strange mechanics that makes it different flavor of swarm. (MORIA)

- Rebels: Lots of good heroes supported by great units (Rohan/Minas Tirith)

- Empire: Swarm with good heroes. (Mordor)

- Resistance: ONLY HEROES, BEST IN CLASS BUT EXPENSIVE UNITS (Iron Hills Dwarves)

- First Order: Empire, but better, without as many heroes. (Isengard)

The best way to check out X-Wing is to find your local X-Wing scene, tell them you want to try out the game, and borrow components to test drive it at a league night or a kit event or something.  Play a few games, probably lose them, but see if you have fun.

If you want to buy in, you can make a good republic list by buying the normal starter for the tokens and damage deck and dice, then get an Aethersprite and a Republic starter pack (containing one Aether and 2 Torrents).  You then don't HAVE to buy anything else.  Fly two jedi and two cheap Torrents and enjoy!

If you then want to get into casual Epic play, that'll obviously require more purchases, but you can decide that later.