Marinealver

New Huge Ship Maneuvers

Posted (edited)

So looking at the dials we can see some things are going to be different. First of all instead of counting pink blips the maneuvers are colored blue and red much like standard dials. If I were going to take a guess blue maneuvers will be adding a bonus energy while red maneuvers will require you to spend an energy (and if you can't you go to a 2 straight white).

There is some new maneuvers as well, we see the 5 straight, 3 banks, and of course the 0 stop (all red). Considering the old maneuver tool only went up to 4 straight and 2 banks there is going to be a new movement tool (likely similar to the old one but with an extra step).

So new ship movement, what are your thoughts on this?

Edited by Marinealver
Epic and Huge Ships are now diffrent things

Just to nitpick......they aren't "epic dials".   They are "Huge Ship dials".   Epic is now the missions and scenarios.   Huge Ships are just Huge Ships.  :)

Seems stupid, but I think we need to get into the habit of it.  FFG corrected themselves in the live stream.  I am sure that once all this comes out that we will probably have to differentiate at some point as it will make a difference for something.  

6 hours ago, Ccwebb said:

What I am liking is that the dials don’t look cookie-cut like in 1st edition.  This will allow the huge ships to ‘feel’ different from each other. 

I thought of different ways to use the maneuver tool to perform different repositions much like how the S-loop and t-rolls just use the standard maneuver template in a different way to act as a unique maneuver (but nothing that flips a ship around). On thing that came up was an oblique which instead of angling the template at 30 degrees keep it straight and then just slide it in to the bank slot so it moves at an angle (but does not rotate). The other idea was a double bank which allows it to rotate at a 60 degree turn (since huge ship banks were at 30 degrees). 

Now with 2nd edition wants to keep everything standardized it is possible that huge ship banks are just 45 degrees instead of the 30 so a huge ship bank is almost the same as a regular bank for small-large ships. As for the 0 bank, that has to be a typo unless there was a way to turn without going forward.

1 hour ago, Marinealver said:

I thought of different ways to use the maneuver tool to perform different repositions much like how the S-loop and t-rolls just use the standard maneuver template in a different way to act as a unique maneuver (but nothing that flips a ship around). On thing that came up was an oblique which instead of angling the template at 30 degrees keep it straight and then just slide it in to the bank slot so it moves at an angle (but does not rotate). The other idea was a double bank which allows it to rotate at a 60 degree turn (since huge ship banks were at 30 degrees). 

Oooooooo cool!

Posted (edited)

I am anxious to learn more about Huge ship movement as there is allot of room to allow these ships to be at the same level, so to speak, as the S, M & L ships.  I'm not suggesting that the Huge ships use the same move templates as the SML ships, just hoping that the huge ships will be able to cover the same amount of ground as the SML ships.  On the other hand, I don't want to over complicate Huge ship movement (e.g., some limitation on turn to turn differences in speed for selected maneuvers) to give the huge ships the same abilities as SML.  

I think I'd be somewhat happy if the same shape of tool was used, but have the speed distance match SML ships.  I'm okay with the Huge ships taking longer to turn but hated that it took them so long to get to the other side of the map.  It made mission development difficult. 

Edited by Biff

I'm willing to bet they threw out the rule that overlapping small or large ships immediately destroys them. It was always a dumb rule. I bet they instead have a rule like Armada's where overlapping a ship like that lets the overlapped ship place itself anywhere at R0 of the Huge ship.

They may even have rules for partially executing maneuvers between huge ships, though that could be a stretch.

Stationary banks are something that I always thought should exist, especially on zippier ships like the blockade runner and raider, and I too hope that banks are 45° now. Given that they said you can use these in casual 200pt 3'x3' games, I almost think it's likely as you pretty much have to turn sharply in order to keep the ship on the board for more than 5 turns.

Still 3 months to wait for them to hit the shelves. :( I hope the previews come soon, and I hope against hope that they have some at GenCon.

I got a Gozanti and a Raider in my excitement, and I've always thought huge ships were meh before.

7 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

I'm willing to bet they threw out the rule that overlapping small or large ships immediately destroys them. It was always a dumb rule. 

What?!?!? That was always the BEST rule!  In fact, we played it wrong and had it whenever a small ship bumped into them they were destroyed, too.  It was hysterical when ships just died, even if it were your own.  I always loved this rule.

Now that Huge ships can take Cannons, I want to see an Ion Cannon on a big ship to stand a bunch of enemy there.

Yes, I have started to lose hope that we will see the new stuff at GenCon.  If it's only Wave 5, I won't be buying.

I always remember my brother running Miranda in a K-Wing coming to the rear/side of my Gozanti and doing a good job tearing into it.  He seemed to forget when huge ships turned they swing out to the rear opposite to the direction of turn.  I didn’t and crushed the ship.  Hilarious as I hated Miranda. 😂 He was gutted 🤣

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Lifer4700 said:

Live stream?

Is a recording of it available to watch somewhere?

It should be saved on their YouTube channel.  I think there is a FFG website that has the link.  I'm not sure.   The article tells you more. 

Edited by heychadwick

45 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

It should be saved on their YouTube channel.  I think there is a FFG website that has the link.  I'm not sure.   The article tells you more. 

I wasn't able to find anything on their YouTube or Twitch channels (I looked there before I posted).  I re-read their articles about Epic Play and Huge Ships, but didn't find any links to any videos.

Thanks, though!

3 hours ago, Lifer4700 said:

I wasn't able to find anything on their YouTube or Twitch channels (I looked there before I posted).  I re-read their articles about Epic Play and Huge Ships, but didn't find any links to any videos.

Thanks, though!

It was in the points update.

18 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

It was in the points update.

Wow, I scanned through that whole thing because I thought that's where they'd mention it, but I must've missed it.

I'll go through it again, thanks a lot!

9 hours ago, Lifer4700 said:

Wow, I scanned through that whole thing because I thought that's where they'd mention it, but I must've missed it.

I'll go through it again, thanks a lot!

I can't recall where, but really, you don't get much of anything.  They said way more in the articles.   They just mention that there will be an Epics Battles and a Huge Ship conversion.  One guy says "epic ships" and gets corrected.   

9 hours ago, Lifer4700 said:

FOUND IT!

In case anyone else was wondering, they talk about "upcoming releases" at the 29:34 mark of that video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0Z38Uug8cA&feature=youtu.be&t=1774

Ha!  I knew it was there.  So, I am sure it's satisfying to eventually find it, but I told you....it wasn't much.  :)