JJH_BATMAN

EPIC!!!!!!!

8 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

A B-Wing Wing to destroy huge ships or control the aces, an X-Wing Wing to evaporate everything else with Torpedoes, and a U-Wing for evades, passive mods, and coordinate.

A B-Wing as a heavy ship buster?

X-Wings as space superiority fighters?

A U-Wing as support??

WHAT ARE YOU DOING USING XWM SHIPS IN CANON TACTICAL ROLES??????  IT'S MADNESS!!

Edited by Darth Meanie

Just now, Darth Meanie said:

WHAT ARE YOU DOING USING XWM SHIPS IN CANON TACTICAL ROLES??????

I KNOW, RIGHT?!

It was hard to restrain myself from just loading up the B-Wings with Passive Sensors and MOAR PROTORPS and just leaving Saw out altogether.

But it's so beautiful how it all comes together. I'm crying.

Ugh, this is almost as hard as waiting for 2.0 wave 1.

Honestly as I build Rebels for Epic, U-Wing pilots like Bodhi, Saw, and Magva get really good. Magva to neuter all single-modded munitions strikes. Saw to support a wing that's been damage-sharing and is now all damaged. Bodhi to get long range locks to strike out with.

Comparatively, Cassian, Benthic, and Heff are just okay. More flexible, but less amazing. Jan has more options but is also more likely to die super-duper fast. Dutch only gets you one extra lock. Kyle and Esege only net you one extra focus. Garven on the other hand seems more consistent, especially with Perceptive Copilot.

On the other hand, bow-tie arcs now have a very decent reason to take VTG. A target-rich environment could go a long way toward increasing damage output. Dash is still way too much, but with Bistan and Perceptive Copilot he could do some nice damage, and you can take the heat off with a flock of selfless HLC B-Wings nearby.

Options get very interesting.

Oh, and Leia, Jerjerrod and Tarkin are just plain silly. Put them on a huge ship and use repeatedly!

Edited by ClassicalMoser

20 minutes ago, SomeDudeWhoMostlyLurks said:

I think you were "doing it wrong" if you found Epic boring.

Try something like this....

Mission Specs.docxUnavailable

Epic is more tedious if anything. Never really boring because the few Epic games I did play I was amply lubricated with beer. However, after turn 7 or 8 and the 60th dial you are putting down, you usually just wanted it to be over.

7 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

Not convinced they are shooting every weapon every round, though that’d be nice for sure. Give me an excuse to load up the huge ships more than I normally do.

I want to know how the energy mechanic is back - it’s clearly on the counter tracker tool. No evidence of how you get it from the dial. Could be a fixed resource you spend or you slowly generate back up. Maybe it’s tied to blue moves? We’ll have to see.

On the Correllian Corvette spread, you can kind of make out the new energy icon next the shields, and it looks like it's got the recover indicator there. So my guess is that energy works like charges, just with a different icon so that it can't be mixed in with other charge mechanics. Some ships may not recover by default, and some upgrades will likely allow for recovery of more energy (the Tibanna Gas cargo upgrade did this in the past, as I recall). Seems likely that there will be no more setting the dial to recover energy, in any case.

39 minutes ago, Freeptop said:

On the Correllian Corvette spread, you can kind of make out the new energy icon next the shields, and it looks like it's got the recover indicator there. So my guess is that energy works like charges, just with a different icon so that it can't be mixed in with other charge mechanics. Some ships may not recover by default, and some upgrades will likely allow for recovery of more energy (the Tibanna Gas cargo upgrade did this in the past, as I recall). Seems likely that there will be no more setting the dial to recover energy, in any case.

I expect they'll deal with stress/strain/ion by spending an energy and I'd also guess that you recover extra energy on a blue. So by default you recover 1 energy (or one on each half?), do a red you recover zero, a blue recovers 2. Or maybe that just makes too much sense?

I know Ion removed an energy in 1.0. With Ion/stress/strain all being red, I wouldn't be surprised if they all cost an energy. Maybe there's also an action for getting more, maybe not. It all makes me quite curious. I'm eager to start.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

I am wondering how ion damage will now effect huge ships.

4 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

A U-Wing as support??

WHAT ARE YOU DOING USING XWM SHIPS IN CANON TACTICAL ROLES??????  IT'S MADNESS!!

I still think we can find that torpedoes and missiles might work a little backwards.

41 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

I am wondering how ion damage will now effect huge ships.

I still think we can find that torpedoes and missiles might work a little backwards.

I don't really think so. It's true that Torps are potentially better ace-killers, but missiles definitely aren't better large-ship busters. I'd like to see more torpedoes that pack a massive punch but are easy enough for aces to dodge, though I will always oppose low-attack-dice-with-giant-bonus-damage approaches. There are better ways to punish cumbersome ships than with bad RNG and auto-damage. A cannon or torpedo that only works once every three turns (and you don't get to decide when) is easy for aces to get out of the way of, but much harder for huge ships to evade. Make it bullseye only, maybe lock-only too, just to make it that much easier to dodge. But then give it 6 attack dice, and turn all hits to crits. Easy to dodge, 3 turns to focus down its carrier ship, but if you ignore it, it will end you.

I like the way missiles work now though, by and large (exception, barrage). They're a little trickier to line up, and they don't hit that hard, but they're a nice cheap way for a 2-primary to get a little more punch or for a 3-primary to get a little more control.

I just think that all existing cannons and lock-based missiles should be priced in the 1-4 pt range...

Edited by ClassicalMoser

Hmm. Looking at the Init portion of the pilot cards it seems that Huge ships are going to be moving after and shooting after the smaller vessels with the smallish Huge ships moving and shooting before the larger ones.

swz53_spread.png

The smaller of the 2 Init #s on the cards have what looks to be a crosshair next to it. Admittedly I could be wrong, but I think that symbol is supposed to indicate "engage at" while the one without the symbol adjacent is implying "activate at". So the Imp Gozanti would activate at I7 and engage at I1 while the CR-90 would activate at I8 and engage at I0.

swz56_spread.png

Looking at the C-ROC it seems to have the same Initiative pairings as the Imp Gozanti, so 7/1.

The double actions do look nice (The 2x on the top of the Action Bar that others have spotted and mentioned).

29 minutes ago, JJH_BATMAN said:

Do y'all think there is going to be a ship count limit? It seems that if you spam stuff like vultures it might be over powered. Just a thought when theorizing about what you're going to fly.

1.0 epic had a hard limit of 8. If they do have a hard limit I hope it’s 12 or above; enormous swarms of Vultures are just so much thematic fun!

18 hours ago, Jo Jo said:

Epic is more tedious if anything. Never really boring because the few Epic games I did play I was amply lubricated with beer. However, after turn 7 or 8 and the 60th dial you are putting down, you usually just wanted it to be over.

This is why I'm excited for the squadron movement bits, though idk how that'll work with overlaping and such

Also, I don't think vulture spam would be overpowered without a SIGNIFICANT force multiplier, just very VERY tedious to roll through

Never had ********'s cramp playing a dice game, but that's probably how you'd get it 

Edited by ficklegreendice

I'm still irked by some of the names they gave these ship cards. I wish they were more generic so they could be used more broadly or role played for different scenarios. If we want specifics we could always use title cards. But as it currently stands, my rebel transport will ALWAYS have to be echo base rebels from a specific battle. No matter what map I want to use or what scenario I want to cook up.... My transport will always be Hoth guys. Even if I'm flying on Bespin.

And Alderaanian Guard? Because no one else in the galaxy can use a corellian cruiser? What if I want to fly on the second Death Star map? That planet doesn't even exist anymore

4 hours ago, Ambigatos said:

I'm still irked by some of the names they gave these ship cards. I wish they were more generic so they could be used more broadly or role played for different scenarios. If we want specifics we could always use title cards. But as it currently stands, my rebel transport will ALWAYS have to be echo base rebels from a specific battle. No matter what map I want to use or what scenario I want to cook up.... My transport will always be Hoth guys. Even if I'm flying on Bespin.

And Alderaanian Guard? Because no one else in the galaxy can use a corellian cruiser? What if I want to fly on the second Death Star map? That planet doesn't even exist anymore

After 2 years of waiting for this product, the crew could have been from

Piiiiiiiiggggggsssss iiiiiiiiiinnn Spaaaaaaaaaaaacccccccceeeeeee!!!!!!

Image result for pigs in space muppets

and I would still buy it.

Edited by Darth Meanie

23 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

I'm having so much fun building 500pt lists. 

23 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

A U-Wing as support??

You forgot A-Wings to intercept enemy bombers before they can get in range of your capital ships or to blow through enemy formations and hit their capital ships from their rear blind spots.

Is it just me or does Raymus Antilles look ... pretty lackluster? Correct me if I'm wrong.

It looks like his ability says:

"When you are destroyed, each friendly ship at range 0-1 gains 1 focus token. After you are destroyed, you are not removed until the end of the engagement phase."

So it's basically like a mini TA-175 mixed with Fel's Wrath, potentially on a huge ship? I guess it's good for two things:

1) Instead of your opponent nuking the huge ship first the way it's usually a good idea to do, Raymus discourages this and rewards you if they do.

2) Since huge ships shoot last and often shoot more than once, he's potentially saving you a few (focused) attacks the turn you go down.

I do like the thematics though: He goes down fighting!

Also:

Raider has a FULL-FRONT 180 PRIMARY!

swz_photo_18.jpg

You can see that the green is shaded beyond the front arc marks. Talk about enormous area control! Now if that's a 4 primary I'm definitely sold (though I think default range is 1-3 now).

Also how awesome will Kath Scarlett be in epic? TONS of generics flying around, tons of bumping, throw on Marauder and VTG and she gets two 4-dice attacks per turn!

Edited by ClassicalMoser

2 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Also:

swz_photo_18.jpg

You can see that the green is shaded beyond the front arc marks. Talk about enormous area control! Now if that's a 4 primary I'm definitely sold (though I think default range is 1-3 now).

Also how awesome will Kath Scarlett be in epic? TONS of generics flying around, tons of bumping, throw on Marauder and VTG and she gets two 4-dice attacks per turn!

I think it is larger than 180... The right side of the arc indicator looks to extend farther back than the mid point.

6 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Is there a turret arc indicator under that front peg though?  If it is a turret arc this could make primary and rear hard point overlapping easier (although not as easy has a 180+ degree arc 😊).  The Raider had pretty awesome firing arcs in first edition but it was quite rare you could double arc.  A turret arc would also be compatible with the ethos of second edition (thematically it could be explained that the Raider can only fire so many of its primary weapons at once).  Ohhh I’m looking forward to this. 😃 

swx30-fire-arc-diagram-v2.jpg

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:34 PM, Darth Meanie said:

For 5 years I have been lurking on these boards, posting.

Feeding on purple trophies, blue hearts, and yellow haha faces.

Gaining power.  Slowly building a 2:1 reputation.   Now, I am so close.   One more post, so cunning, so witty, that even FFG must give me a drop-down heart banner.  Then I will have finally become 

THE MOST RETCHED FORUMITE EVER!!!!🙀

I woke up this AM to forum nirvana:

udcRIeH.jpg

Thanks everybody!!  You're the best!!!

On 7/12/2019 at 12:47 PM, ClassicalMoser said:

I'm having so much fun building 500pt lists. I'm sorry I can't resist posting a few of them. Here's my latest one:

3x Delta Squadron Pilot (69)    

Be carerful with fewer expensive ships.  I've seen too many people not used to larger battles look at all the points they can get and throw down with a few big and powerful ships.   When you have 20 enemy ships firing at you per turn, the powerful ships can get smashed.  I have found a few powerful ships.....like 3 Tie Defenders, need to be used very smartly and at the right times to be worth their points.  

On 7/12/2019 at 12:51 PM, Darth Meanie said:

One thing to worry about B-wings is their deployment.  If put wrong, they are pretty slow and will have a hard time getting into a useful position.

On 7/12/2019 at 1:37 PM, Jo Jo said:

I understand what you mean as I have played a lot of games of Epic.  For one, familiarity with the rules does make things better.  Even after that, there are things you can do to speed things up.  For one, we did something like the Wings where little groups of the same ship moved on the same dial.   Also, avoid picking all the same of one type of ship speeds things up.   It might be cheaper for the Imperials to make sure all your Tie Fighters are Academy Pilots, but when you have to move them all and shoot them all at the same time, it gets tedious.   Simply mixing them up with different types for different groupings speeds things up and keeps all involved.  

Overall, I think what they are doing will make it quick enough to be good. 

On 7/12/2019 at 10:04 PM, Hiemfire said:

Hmm. Looking at the Init portion of the pilot cards it seems that Huge ships are going to be moving after and shooting after the smaller vessels with the smallish Huge ships moving and shooting before the larger ones.

The smaller of the 2 Init #s on the cards have what looks to be a crosshair next to it. Admittedly I could be wrong, but I think that symbol is supposed to indicate "engage at" while the one without the symbol adjacent is implying "activate at". So the Imp Gozanti would activate at I7 and engage at I1 while the CR-90 would activate at I8 and engage at I0.

Looking at the C-ROC it seems to have the same Initiative pairings as the Imp Gozanti, so 7/1.

The double actions do look nice (The 2x on the top of the Action Bar that others have spotted and mentioned).

Thanks for that!  I'm stealing this for podcast notes!

22 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

I woke up this AM to forum nirvana:

udcRIeH.jpg

Thanks everybody!!  You're the best!!!

Well, you got me beat for reputation ratio for content.   My content is 10,478 and my Excellent rating is 10,696.

35 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

Well, you got me beat for reputation ratio for content.   My content is 10,478 and my Excellent rating is 10,696.

Yeah, 2:1 is unheard of. I always figured if your reputation is better than your content count you're okay. @Darth Meanie you're a true ace of legend.