Charmy

[VARIANT] Charmy's Lost Legends Balance Patch v1.2

Hey Guys, I don’t mean to hijack this thread but just a quick question in reference to what you said about LoS. I hate the DE2 LoS rules because practically speaking they often don’t make sense. For example, if you are behind someone in a straight line you can’t see around them but if you are diagonal then you. An because the corners are in line. Anyway I’ve always been afraid to ruin the balance. How do you feel about other rule changes like the 2 stamina to move limit? Thanks and sorry again for being off topic. 

4 hours ago, ren6175 said:

Hey Guys, I don’t mean to hijack this thread but just a quick question in reference to what you said about LoS. I hate the DE2 LoS rules because practically speaking they often don’t make sense. For example, if you are behind someone in a straight line you can’t see around them but if you are diagonal then you. An because the corners are in line. Anyway I’ve always been afraid to ruin the balance.

You're not the only one who doesn't like the Descent line of sight rules. I highly recommend trying the Imperial Assault line of sight rules described in the following document:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwiRzdCSo8TjAhWH_p8KHQNsAaIQFjAAegQIAhAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com%2Ffiler_public%2Fef%2F86%2Fef866943-534b-429e-b8db-7d99875431b7%2Fimperial_assault_rules_reference_guide.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3o_TZ5ddoTN8WgZJdagEA0

They fit well into Descent. Keep in mind this is a change that does affect game balance in many subtle ways. For example, skills that target all figures in line of sight are weaker with these rules (e.g. Army of Death, Sweep). However, since the changes affect both sides roughly equally and they can plan accordingly, it is totally worth it.

It also introduces many more strategic positioning options for both the heroes and overlord, as well as feels much more intuitive. There are far fewer cases of "What? How the heck could you see me from there?".

I would never go back to the original rule set, myself.

4 hours ago, ren6175 said:

How do you feel about other rule changes like the 2 stamina to move limit? Thanks and sorry again for being off topic.  

Unfortunately, unlike Imperial Assault, the quests, heroes and skills in this game are balanced around not having a cap to fatigue movement. Changing this would have a huge negative impact to the heroes and outright eliminate certain heroes from any kind of viability (e.g. Serena).

However, I myself have a serious beef with this rule - in particular when it relates to Stamina potions. Being able to save up 1 or 2 stamina potions and then fly across the map in a single round feels really silly, and it also can break certain quests. I would prefer to address this issue by targeting the Stamina potion itself though, rather than fatigue movement in general.

As Overlord, I usually just take Refresh and Placebo early on - and then take out this potion with extreme prejudice whenever I see it to keep it from ruining my plans - especially vs. a Fleet of Foot Wildlander.

However, I also am considering playing with Sadgit's Search Deck from Sands of the Past. This search deck wisely eliminates the problematic Stamina potion in favor of the Timmoran Shard - a far better designed potion which recovers 1 fatigue every time it is used - and it can be used 3 times (once per turn) before it is fully consumed.

https://descent-community.org/index.php/obtaining-sands-of-the-past/

I recommend checking it out.

Edited by Charmy