GalacticFist

Legion HQ List Builder Update

Hello everyone,

With the new clone wars content coming out I decided to put up a newer version of my list builder that will eventually replace the old one located at http://legion-hq.com.

The new one is located at https://legion-hq.herokuapp.com/ for now. Eventually it will take over the legion-hq.com domain once I have finished all the work.

This new one is still a pretty immature version and a lot of features don't work yet that do work at the old site such as:

• Entourage (though this is still very buggy in the old site lol)
  • Upgrades that add upgrade slots
  • Saving/Deleting lists associated with your account
  • Adding command cards/battle cards
  • Generating an image of your list to share
  • Printing a PDF of your list to share
  • Exporting/importing a URL that works with the Tabletopadmiral builder

Notable features that do work:

• Sharing a list via a URL
  • Text export of your list
  • Addition of Separatists/Republic factions
  • Card database where you can search/filter for certain cards

Additional Features to be added in the near future:

• Your saved lists from the previous builder will automatically be imported into the new builder
  • Ability to fork a saved list

Additionally, as this is the newer version I have not had a lot of time to test it so there may be a lot of sneaky bugs hiding. I would also like to hear (via the thread or private messages) any comments, critiques, or criticisms on the user interface and usability and would also like to hear requests for additional features. For today's livestream today I will be updating the builder located at https://legion-hq.herokuapp.com/

Edited by GalacticFister

2 minutes ago, Shanturin said:

Great to hear it, I'm anxious to make some CIS lists :D

Do you plan to allow for import of lists saved in previous version?

Yes, all your lists you have made in the previous builder will end up also being in the new builder. I just haven't gotten to that point yet.

I'm a big fan of Legion HQ, but there is a feature that I've been wanting: Splitting.

So I have List 1 with units and upgrades x y and z

But I want to try a variation of list 1 with units and upgrades w y and z.

Near as I can tell as it stands now I have to completely make a brand new list to reflect that.  I can't save List 1 as List 1a without destroying List 1.

2 minutes ago, Zrob314 said:

I'm a big fan of Legion HQ, but there is a feature that I've been wanting: Splitting.

So I have List 1 with units and upgrades x y and z

But I want to try a variation of list 1 with units and upgrades w y and z.

Near as I can tell as it stands now I have to completely make a brand new list to reflect that.  I can't save List 1 as List 1a without destroying List 1.

Once I have implemented the ability to save lists (assuming you have logged in) then I will implement this feature. Thanks for the suggestion!

20 minutes ago, Lukez said:

What tech stack are you using with the new version?

The previous version had a NodeJS backend with a React frontend on an AWS EC2 instance that also had MongoDB on it for user lists. This new one is purely just a React frontend I'm hosting on Heroku and I still haven't decided where I'm going to host the database.. my AWS free trial is expiring soon :unsure:. Github: https://github.com/legion-hq/legion-hq.github.io

Edit: The front end has always used Google's Material-UI: https://material-ui.com/

Edited by GalacticFister

Very cool! If you are interested in contributor's let me know, trying to get in more react practice :). For database, you could possibly use firebase for unit data depending on format. Free version of that is unlikely to be enough for user data though...

12 minutes ago, Lukez said:

Very cool! If you are interested in contributor's let me know, trying to get in more react practice :). For database, you could possibly use firebase for unit data depending on format. Free version of that is unlikely to be enough for user data though...

Awesome, I'll be creating a bunch of issues this week that need to be worked on and anyone is welcome to create pull requests!

2 hours ago, GalacticFister said:

Awesome, I'll be creating a bunch of issues this week that need to be worked on and anyone is welcome to create pull requests!

Sweet, drop a link to the repo once you feel ready and I'll have a look for sure!

I'm a HUGE fan of your original site. I've been using the new one and it just doesn't have the same ease-of-use and simple layout as the original. It may one of more of the following:

• Black theme instead of white
  • Scrunched up unit and upgrade display. I would try indenting the upgrades of a unit a lot more. They blur into the unit cards and are hard to distinguish.
  • I've only used it on a PC, but there seems to be a tremendous amount of space used for the right column layout, compared the left column layout where the units and their upgrades are.
  • The font and text seem very hard on the eyes, especially compared to the original site.
  • The text on the unit counts, list cost, list name, etc. also seems too small and hard to read.

Overall, great work, but I find the new site significantly less aesthetically pleasing on the eyes and to use.

3 hours ago, Thraug said:

I'm a HUGE fan of your original site. I've been using the new one and it just doesn't have the same ease-of-use and simple layout as the original. It may one of more of the following:

• Black theme instead of white
  • Scrunched up unit and upgrade display. I would try indenting the upgrades of a unit a lot more. They blur into the unit cards and are hard to distinguish.
  • I've only used it on a PC, but there seems to be a tremendous amount of space used for the right column layout, compared the left column layout where the units and their upgrades are.
  • The font and text seem very hard on the eyes, especially compared to the original site.
  • The text on the unit counts, list cost, list name, etc. also seems too small and hard to read.

Overall, great work, but I find the new site significantly less aesthetically pleasing on the eyes and to use.

Thank you for the valuable feedback! There's definitely a lot for me to ponder here in terms of what I should redesign and what I should make a configurable setting attached to a user's account/browser. Let me know what you think:

• I can make a setting that inverts the colors so that it's just a plain white background with black text. Perhaps this would be sufficient for this point.
  • I will fiddle with the indentation and most likely include a setting that reverts back to the original builder's style for the upgrades.
  • I was planning on also making a setting that increased/decreased the width of the left and right columns, like in the original builder. I think this will solve this one?
  • This is related to earlier point on inverting the colors and the next point
  • This can be a configurable setting to change the fonts/font sizes

Edit: Alright @Thraug, I have implemented a very rudimentary settings page so you can customize the way the page looks on your browser. There is still much to be done for this effort but I think this might be a good start. You will probably want Theme Color: Light, Upgrade Display: Chips, Font Type: None, and List Builder Left Column Width: half. Let me know if you have any more ideas. Thanks!

Edited by GalacticFister

Legion-HQ 2.0 changes: Hey guys, I have pushed out an update to export images of your list, feel free to test it and let me know if you have any issues with that. I've also reworked the left panel to be a bit more reminiscent of the original builder; the intention is to keep the simplicity but also improve the overall structure of the rows as well as reduce the number of clicks to perform the basic operations (adding upgrades, deleting a unit, etc.). I also turned the list point total into a button that switches between 3 formats: the 500-point mode that's been going around, standard, and grand army. 

Comments and feedback are all welcome as always. 😉

Edited by GalacticFister

3 hours ago, Thraug said:

Here I Go Again:

Mobile phone, once you get enough units to fill the vertical space you can't scroll up and down.

Galaxy S5

Had a similar issue on several different Samsung phones, you need to touch the screen outside other icon fields, it's tricky to find the right spot.

Other issues - has the idea of a upgrade adding other upgrade slots (comms tech) not been implemented yet or is sth wrong with it? :)

19 hours ago, Shanturin said:

Had a similar issue on several different Samsung phones, you need to touch the screen outside other icon fields, it's tricky to find the right spot.

Other issues - has the idea of a upgrade adding other upgrade slots (comms tech) not been implemented yet or is sth wrong with it? :)

I cant find any spot where scrolling works. I can drag and drop a unit vertically, but ni scrolling.

You are both in luck! These two issues (scrolling and comms tech) have been on my radar for a while and are going to be resolved by the end of today. For my phone, I've found the scrolling issue disappears on Google Chrome, so that could possibly be a temporary fix for today; mobile web development can be so finicky at times!