SDCC

Defender Thoughts?

Hey all,

2019, apart from a great month of Republic playing, has not been good for me and X-wing. I need a hook to have any chance of getting going again, and my old favourite the Defender has as good a chance as any of being it.

So, what's the deal with them now?

Friends have pointed out their recent deduction, to which I said "but Juke has gone up hasn't it?"

There must be other things we can do with them. So I'm all ears.

Perhaps the hook is out there I just haven't found it.

Ta muchly.

The defender is still a little expensive, it keeps coming down to the fact that you can get a firepower 3 and a firepower 2 ship for the price of a defender, It's tied with the Rebel falcon for 2nd most expensive ship in the game.

You MIGHT be able to have a somewhat good list with Rexler, but the rest of the Defenders are far too expensive. Maybe something like Rexler, Soontir, Marek Steele? It would give you something durable for a Aces list.

Maybe something like this?

Rexler Brath (81)    
    Outmaneuver (6)    

Ship total: 87  Half Points: 44  Threshold: 4    

Soontir Fel (53)    
    Predator (2)    

Ship total: 55  Half Points: 28  Threshold: 2    

Maarek Stele (46)    
    Marksmanship (1)    
    Fire-Control System (2)    

Ship total: 49  Half Points: 25  Threshold: 3    

Total: 191    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v8ZsZ200Z196X126WWWY179X127WWY174X125W113WW&sn=Make Defenders great again!&obs=

I've used this a few times and all parts pull their weight.

Major Vynder (41)    
    Fire-Control System (2)    
    Adv. Proton Torpedoes (6)    
    Advanced SLAM (3)    
    Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)    
    Proton Torpedoes (13)    

Ship total: 65  Half Points: 33  Threshold: 4    

Seventh Sister (43)    
    Fire-Control System (2)    

Ship total: 45  Half Points: 23  Threshold: 2    

Rexler Brath (81)    
    Juke (7)    
    Fire-Control System (2)    

Ship total: 90  Half Points: 45  Threshold: 4    

Total: 200    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v8ZsZ200Z161XW113W134WW104W139W136WY170XW113WY196X123W113WW&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

Seventh sister is brutal in knife fights. Juke+FCS on Rexler all-but guarantees damage on a turn by turn basis and can easily take down most threats. Vynder is great at swinging between engagements on either side of the board and landing finishing blows, come to think of it so is Seventh Sister, when you get three hits and cancel the only positive defense result to finish a target, feels good. In my experience, Juke on the defender is totally worth it, even after the points increase.

Posted (edited)

I think the problem is that Rexlar is pretty much stuck as the 'go to' pilot for the foreseeable:

1. His pilot ability synergises incredibly well with Full Throttle, and as it's 'after you perform an attack', unlike most such abilities, he can trigger it on a damage card handed to you in that attack.
  2. He has the highest initiative of any defender pilot
  3. He's (weirdly) the cheapest defender pilot - Vessery's ability is cool and all but without a flock of ships acquiring target locks to 'spot' for him I'm not sure it's that great.
  4. The generic TIE defenders are always going to be in an odd spot because having spend over 1/3 of your squad on a single fighter, not spending the comparative pittance to make it I5 with a great ability seems weird. If Deltas ever hit the 66 point boundary, maybe, but I honestly don't ever see Onyx Squadron doing much.

Vessery could work with TIE/x1 aces. They want to have locks up all the time, so he can 'clone' them. You've got the points to field him with Ved Folso and Maarek Stele and issue everyone concerned a slack handful of toys.

I could see a Defender with Lone Wolf, paired with a Reaper carrying Palpatine - that's about 150 points, though, so I'm not sure what else you'd put in the list. Maybe Krennic, either in a second reaper or alongside the Emperor on a decimator instead? Optimised Prototype could kind of duplicate Rexlar's ability.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Posted (edited)

I've tried Outmaneuver on Rexler but was not satisfied. It does not trigger often and even when it does, defender can still roll evades. Juke seems better to push the damage through. The only talent I'd consider intead of Juke is Lone Wolf, to have that offensive (or defensive) reroll because you pretty much focus every time.

Edited by Ximatique

9 minutes ago, Seraphimtoaster375 said:

I've used this a few times and all parts pull their weight.

Major Vynder (41)    
    Fire-Control System (2)    
    Advanced SLAM (3)    
    Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)    
    Proton Torpedoes (13)    

Ship total: 65  Half Points: 33  Threshold: 4    

Seventh Sister (43)    
    Fire-Control System (2)    

Ship total: 45  Half Points: 23  Threshold: 2    

Rexler Brath (81)    
    Juke (7)    
    Fire-Control System (2)    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v8ZsZ200Z161XW113W134WW104W139W136WY170XW113WY196X123W113WW&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

Seventh sister is brutal in knife fights. Juke+FCS on Rexler all-but guarantees damage on a turn by turn basis and can easily take down most threats. Vynder is great at swinging between engagements on either side of the board and landing finishing blows, come to think of it so is Seventh Sister, when you get three hits and cancel the only positive defense result to finish a target, feels good. In my experience, Juke on the defender is totally worth it, even after the points increase.

I've run something similar a few times, but with a slightly cheaper Vynder and Fel instead of Seventh Sister.

It's solid, and while it might not have won me as many games as I'd like, I think that's mostly user error and being bad with Fel. 

My take on it is 

Major Vynder (41)    
    Fire-Control System (2)    
    Advanced SLAM (3)    
    Xg-1 Assault Configuration (0)    
    Ion Cannon (5)    

Ship total: 57  Half Points: 29  Threshold: 4    

Rexler Brath (81)    
    Juke (7)    

Ship total: 88  Half Points: 44  Threshold: 4    

Soontir Fel (53)    
    Predator (2)    

It's been bumped up an unfortunate amount by the changes to Vynder and Fel, there used to be a bit of a bid in there. It's still flyable, though. 

The main problem is that Rexler and Fel can be a little at odds with each other. Rexler kinda wants to shoot first to maximise that evade token, Fel obviously wants to move last. As with the above list, though, I feel like all the components pull their weight, and each has their role. 

Vynder's main aim is to land an ion token on the most threatening small base ship and then follow up with the APT shot when getting range 1 is made easy. Rexler can usually help focus down as well. It's suprisingly effective. Last game I played with them, Vynder caught Mace in the first round, and he and Rexler deleted him in the next. It can really punish any mistakes made by ships trying to arc dodge, and each element of the list is capable enough that you can afford to keep your arcs wide to expand your kill box. Whoever you catch out then gets focused down afterward.

Range control on Vynder is absolutely vital. Don't hang him out in front of two many of the opponent's ships in the first round or he'll melt. 

I've had fun every time I've played this list, even if it's not super competitive. It might help that they're my three favourite Imperial designs, but I like how each one plays in XWM. Rexler just feels powerful, even if I keep forgetting to use his ability. 

Very simple. Take Rex, put Juke on him, fill rest of list with whatever you fancy. 

Bait with Rex, but don't run too far or he'll be ignored and your other ships will get munched. Chew on opposing list with the remainder of your list until they don't have enough guns to kill Rex. Kill something with Rex, win game.

This to me is the most effective thing you can do with a Defender but honestly, I find it a bit boring. There is a great many things you can do with the ship to make it more fun and interesting, but they are all quite difficult and only borderline effective.

The 2 main difficulties....

They are extremely predictable, marginally apart from Rex with his I5. This makes them quite easy to dodge with higher Init, or killbox with lower. As tanky as they are, they still melt fast when focussed or blocked.

Decent solutions to this are coord, Advanced Sensors or Collision Detector. They're pretty great with any of the 3. However...

2nd problem. Cost vs damage output. It's just one gun, often single modded. On an AdvS turn, mostly entirely unmodded. So you're not making much of a dent in the opposing squad with it, then when they catch you, you give up a truckload of points.

One solution to this is to have things alongside it that punch extremely hard. Reduce your opponents ability to tackle the Defender with multiple arcs before it weighs in.

Another solution to all of this is to have 2 of them. Either 2 loaded names or 2 generic with support. I think this is by far the hardest way to fly them, though it can do well enough. 

Bottom line then. Be prepared to fortress your Defender points rather than trade them. Get a squad together that can take heat off of it without simply sacrificing themselves. Keep as many manouevre options as possible open for it, at ALL times. 

Very pleased with my own answer atm, but field testing with the list is very limited so I'm still prepared to fail.... Though the limited test was very successful...

Bulletproof Vess

(84) Colonel Vessery [TIE/D Defender]
(10) Advanced Sensors
(6) Outmaneuver
(0) Jamming Beam

(35) Inquisitor [TIE Advanced v1]
(8) Supernatural Reflexes
(5) Cluster Missiles
(2) Fire-Control System

(5) Cluster Missiles
(2) Fire-Control System

Total points: 200

The Inquisitors are naturally hard to pin and offer a fantastic diversion from Vessery, given they feed his gun. Double mods from SNR and missiles mean they offer a reasonable threat of their own. Particularly given the awkward spots you can put them in.

AdvS gives Vessery the necessary unpredictability on approach, (be extremely careful about using it when engaged, no mods makes points disappear very fast on these things).

Outmanoeuvre and the locks from the Inqs mean Vessery should always be at least single modded, whatever he does, which opens up repositions and AdvS to keep him at least a little squirrelly, when it becomes necessary.  Best case scenario is triple modded ofc, with an evade too, so he hits very hard and trades well.

But it is all quite fragile and requires a lot of familiarity with the various elements. Being lower Init and 200pt means you have to be very aware of your opponents options and set yourself up accordingly. There's no reacting once dials are revealed, so your ship placement has to be very considerate and cautious. But, if you can avoid getting focus fired on, there isn't a lot that will win trades against 3 green, 3 red with focus, lock, evade.

That is only when you are actually shooting though! It'll all get arc dodged, which is where the greens and tokens offer a nice cushion. Disengage, reset and flip on them, now that you've led them into an awkward spot ;)

Just keep a very beady eye on things that steal tokens :D

Biggest trick to them is to have enough other threat in your list that people ignore them until it is too late. They are such a point fortress, often the win-con is they haven't halfed Rexler, so they just lose because they can't do damage to him with what they have left. That plus FCS for the reroll at the end means you can still push damage whilst keeping your defense sky high.

Palp is also amazing with them, freeing up an action for a lock instead of focus, coordinate also helps with that, and increases their tankiness.

I've been using this recently:

Omicron Group Pilot (43)    
    Jamming Beam (0)    
    Emperor Palpatine (11)    

Ship total: 54  Half Points: 27  Threshold: 5    

Rexler Brath (81)    
    Juke (7)    
    Fire-Control System (2)    
    Jamming Beam (0)    

Grand Inquisitor (52)    
    Fire-Control System (2)    

Ship total: 54  Half Points: 27  Threshold: 2    

Total: 198    

Quiz with Palp and coordinate seems pretty solid. I tend to group Quiz and Palp and flank with Rexler. Quiz can also be a mini defender by simply taking the evade and having force. Plus his not range 1 ability is way better than the range 1 ability.

Posted (edited)

Some ramblings...

• Defenders with Palp support are good and 100% worth their points. Just run Lone Wolf instead of Juke for Rex and it frees up a couple Pts for other things. 
  • Also its fine to still run Juke on them. Lone Wolf is just a solid substitute that was already better in a # of lists anyway. 
  • Outside of that their strength (even without palp) is that they don't take damage easily (try to avoid blocks) and refuse to give up half pts. 
  • Advanced Sensors makes Rex and Ryad outrageously flexible and just leans into what makes them good ( defensive and able to run to time, removes their one defensive vulnerability being blocked ) 
  • If you run defenders with 75 min on the clock with the intent to destroy just enough points to allow you to run to time, they are excellent. 
  • If you run them with the intent to destroy 100% of your opponents points in 30-50 minutes you will be disappointed. 
  • They are good because they are outlier defensive, highly mobile, great time on target regardless of init order, difficult to arc dodge, and have a insane stat line. 
  • As far as offense...
    • Its harder to perceive but they spend more time shooting than the average ship thanks to the white k turns. 
    • They can set up target locks on some turns as they are often out of arc. 
    • Palp support helps with the offensive output.
    • Lone Wolf helps a great deal. 
    • HLC and FCS help to. 
Edited by Boom Owl

27 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

I've run something similar a few times, but with a slightly cheaper Vynder and Fel instead of Seventh Sister.

It's solid, and while it might not have won me as many games as I'd like, I think that's mostly user error and being bad with Fel. 

My take on it is 

Major Vynder (41)    
    Fire-Control System (2)    
    Advanced SLAM (3)    
    Xg-1 Assault Configuration (0)    
    Ion Cannon (5)    

Ship total: 57  Half Points: 29  Threshold: 4    

Rexler Brath (81)    
    Juke (7)    

Soontir Fel (53)    
    Predator (2)    

It's been bumped up an unfortunate amount by the changes to Vynder and Fel, there used to be a bit of a bid in there. It's still flyable, though. 

The main problem is that Rexler and Fel can be a little at odds with each other. Rexler kinda wants to shoot first to maximise that evade token, Fel obviously wants to move last. As with the above list, though, I feel like all the components pull their weight, and each has their role. 

Vynder's main aim is to land an ion token on the most threatening small base ship and then follow up with the APT shot when getting range 1 is made easy. Rexler can usually help focus down as well. It's suprisingly effective. Last game I played with them, Vynder caught Mace in the first round, and he and Rexler deleted him in the next. It can really punish any mistakes made by ships trying to arc dodge, and each element of the list is capable enough that you can afford to keep your arcs wide to expand your kill box. Whoever you catch out then gets focused down afterward.

Range control on Vynder is absolutely vital. Don't hang him out in front of two many of the opponent's ships in the first round or he'll melt. 

I've had fun every time I've played this list, even if it's not super competitive. It might help that they're my three favourite Imperial designs, but I like how each one plays in XWM. Rexler just feels powerful, even if I keep forgetting to use his ability. 

I'll have to give it a shot. I like the super torp Vynder just for the abundance of consistent 4-5 red dice on attacks, and between SLAM and the dials on the other two ships its hard NOT to have a good shot. I don't play with ions too much, no status effect is better than dead, I can see the value. 

I always try to SLAM into range on an isolated ship in the first round, fire torps, benefit from the 1 extra green die on defense for the turn, and SLAM away and around next turn. With a little luck that first ship is either outright destroyed or crippled with crits and you can re-engage with Vynder right away, or just zoom into range one with Seventh Sister to finish the job. Vynder mostly just hit and runs the rest of the match. 

Rexler, or any TIE/D really, are kings (and queens Ryad) of area denial. White K-turn and keep a kill zone that can only be turned into a joust, where the defender has a definite advantage over most ships, or try to cut and run, and you aren't out running a defender once it sets its mind on a chase.

Defenders seem like a ship that, if you want to fly one, it won't be bad, but it probably isn't good enough to pull someone over the top.  Plain, simple, strong statline.  Dependable enough, but probably not going to be responsible for a brilliancy.

At worst, the cost will lead to baffling losses, where you don't know exactly why you're losing the game, but it's due playing something like a game of 190 vs 210 points, without realizing it because some stuff is overpriced and some stuff is underpriced.

//

Anyhow, the two lists which appeal to me most right now:

Delta(FCS)/Delta(FCS)/OGP(Palp, ST-321) - this list keeps getting buffs.  I did rather well with it in early 2e (when it couldn't take any upgrades but Palp), but it tapered off over time.  Other folks came up with better lists, I stopped practicing it for a long while.  Probably related to how, often early in an edition, plain lists can do quite well.  There's just a lot of dice mods, and Defenders with same-initiative coordination for boosts and barrel rolls can be pretty potent.

Delta(FCS)/OGP(Palp)/Vader(FCS, Afterburners) - Basically swapping one out for Vader.  Probably worse than Vynder with Vader/Shuttle, but probably not *bad*.  Seems like the Defender Mantra.  Fly them if you want, there's more optimal stuff, but they don't really suck.  They're just... fine.  It's fine.  They're fine.  It's fine.

59 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

This makes them quite easy to dodge with higher Init.

12 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

They are difficult to arc dodge

Obviously better with Defenders than I am :D

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

Obviously better with Defenders than I am :D

Not at all.

Im just conscious of the fact they do the same thing leia k-turns and stress-free jedi k-turns do against more "traditional" ships. 
The k-turn is predictable so it can be blocked, but there are a huge # of moments where it is simply correct and unblockable.
That means the defenders can flip around and keep pressure on what is probably a stressed or awkwardly located opponent ship. 
Its either gonna force a full disengage from an ace target or get a free uncontested shot on that target.
Whether or not that shot does damage is a different story, but its more shots than your opponent is taking which matters. 
Thats the moment when Defenders can go into "chase" mode against higher init things. 

In simpler terms it flips the script on init order because it is functioning in some small part like a turret. 

Edited by Boom Owl

32 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Im just conscious of the fact they do the same thing leia k-turns and stress-free jedi k-turns do against more "traditional" ships. 

This is true. Ships that don't really do arc dodging have a very hard time avoiding them.

Tbh, I was mostly joking, with context-less quotes, but I have found them hard work against repo ships, moving last. I think because of the speed you need, to keep your token insurance up.

I'm far more comfortable killboxing the ace with the rest of the list, moving slowly/laterally, and using the Defender as a straight up bully. Rather than sending the D to 1v1 it.... bro.

That's the basis of my 'easy to arc dodge' view anyway :D

Hm... How about something like this?
---------------------------------------
Rexler Brath (81)
Juke (7)

“Whisper” (57)
Juke (7)
Total: 152
Maarek Stele (46)
Fire-Control System (2)
OR
Tomax Bren (36)
Crack Shot (1)
Barrage Rockets (8)
Total: 197
OR
“Duchess” (42)
Predator (2)
Total: 196

Here is a Rexler list I have been having fun with. I generally like to have some sort of theme with the lists I build and this one is all about crits. The Academy Pilot tries to set up a block for the others to a get a really good shot, Seyn wants to drop a damage card on something for Rexler to then target in later rounds, and Maarek is Maarek. The total is 197 so it leaves a few points for an FCS on Rexler or something else.

Rexler Brath (81)    
    Juke (7)    

Maarek Stele (46)    
    Marksmanship (1)    
    Fire-Control System (2)    
    Afterburners (6)    

Ship total: 55  Half Points: 28  Threshold: 3    

Seyn Marana (30)    
    Marksmanship (1)    

Ship total: 31  Half Points: 16  Threshold: 2    

Academy Pilot (23)    
Ship total: 23  Half Points: 12  Threshold: 2    

Total: 197    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v8ZsZ200Z196X123WWWY174X125W113WW105Y224X125WY229X&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

I haven't branched out of Rexler/Juke because they synergize so well. I am also wanting to try Rexler with something carrying Vader crew.

The depressing thing about Defenders is that with the increased cost of Juke, they cost just as much as they did when 2.0 launched. With that being said, I think you can take two routes.

Rexler with Juke is still very powerful. I've flown him with Seyn, Gideon and either Maarek or Duchess with some success. Rexler not only deals a lot of damage, but also works as a points fortress.

Alternatively, you can just take the Delta Squadron Pilot, who has got cheaper, can't take Juke (which would be a points sink on them anyway) and can't have the K-turn blocked because they are initiative 1. This can provide a beefy component to an otherwise fragile empire list, or you can take two with an ace like Soontir or Whisper.

But yes, FFG is insane to have Rexler STILL be the cheapest named Defender. We've been through two points changes and still nothing to help Ryad or Vessery.

Posted (edited)

Main issue is they're just horribly expensive (Delta's compete with freaking WHISPER!) and will fold to focused fire. Get them to the late game, though, and they're practically invincible.

Modsmodsmods

(45) "Vizier" [TIE Reaper]
(11) Emperor Palpatine

(69) Delta Squadron Pilot [TIE/D Defender]
(2) Fire-Control System

(57) "Whisper" [TIE/ph Phantom]
(3) Passive Sensors
(9) Fifth Brother
(3) Elusive

Total points: 199

Edited by ficklegreendice

I, for one, don't think Juke is super neecssary on Defenders.  I find Line Wolf more useful for the high cost "Ace" Dedenders. 

Lately, I've liked Deltas better than upgraded named Defenders, though.  For one, they're cheap enough that you can have three good ships in a list.  With a more expensive Defender, your 3rd ship is almost always compromised in some ways. Additionally the Deltas really lean into the Defender's strengths.  They're not worried about being blocked and losing tokens or getting their K-turns blocked.  They're not worried about trying to save the Evade to preserve Juke instead of just dodging a shot.  Offensively, they're about the most efficient Defender because they're the cheapest, and even upgraded Defenders don't get a lot better than a 3 dice single nodded shot.  The Delta does that and costs less. 

The main strengths of high initiative are killing stuff before it shoots and arc dodging. Defenders have as low enough offense that they don't do a lot of initiative killing, and they're tough enough that they don't get initiative killed very often.  They also don't have the linked actions necessary to arc dodge and still put out consistent damage.  

Consequently, of the various Defender builds I've tried, lightly upgraded Deltas are ones I've liked the best.  

37 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

I, for one, don't think Juke is super neecssary on Defenders.  I find Line Wolf more useful for the high cost "Ace" Dedenders. 

Trust what this man has to say about defenders. He has some experience with them. 

Also, don’t get suckered into thinking you absolutely need to throw Juke on these guys. Juke is definitely good, but 3 reds versus (e.g.) 2 greens means that they’ll often spend the focus either way, so the real value is when you get multiple copies in a list because each additional shot on the same target is essentially 1.0 crack shot. If you can’t keep multiple Juke shots on the same target, consider dropping Juke altogether. 

I'm interested in trying this "Hot Rod" variant:

Rear Admiral Chiraneau (76)
- Minister Tua (7)
- Darth Vader (14)
- Hotshot Gunner (7)
- Seismic Charges (3)
- Shield Upgrade (3)

Rexlar Brath (81)
- Juke (7)
- Fire-Control Systems (2)

TOTAL: 200

Between Vader and Hotshot, Chiraneau can easily strip tokens for Rexlar's Juke. Neither of them really care about being first or second player, as there are benefits to both. They're also both very tanky ships that can easily turtle up, meaning your opponent is going to have to work to hit that half-points threshold.

18 minutes ago, PaulRuddSays said:

Trust what this man has to say about defenders. He has some experience with them. 

Also, don’t get suckered into thinking you absolutely need to throw Juke on these guys. Juke is definitely good, but 3 reds versus (e.g.) 2 greens means that they’ll often spend the focus either way, so the real value is when you get multiple copies in a list because each additional shot on the same target is essentially 1.0 crack shot. If you can’t keep multiple Juke shots on the same target, consider dropping Juke altogether. 

All of this. As such, Juke has lost a fair bit of value on the Defender. Possibly except Rex ofc.

Bio is also the guy who I think of when I say 2 Delta's is hard but can be good...

Tbf, I've only run 2 Delta's a couple of times, but when you're getting arc dodged by Gunboats and Alpha Squaddies, it makes for a fair bit of feelsbadman :D

For the sake of completeness, given the Rex lists, here's mine.

(81) Rexler Brath [TIE/D Defender]
(5) Lone Wolf

(51) "Echo" [TIE/ph Phantom]
(6) Outmaneuver
(9) Fifth Brother

(5) Cluster Missiles

Total points: 200

Used to be Pred on Rex but the buff to Inq allows some choices.

Echo is the real star tbh. Inq runs interference and sows confusion. Rex draws the eye. Echo capitalises on all of that mightily. Very tempting to go back to Predator and try her with Passive Sensors as well. Perhaps a bit all eggs/one basket though.

Posted (edited)

I'll throw my hat in with the "Why is Rexler the least expensive named Defender" crowd. But then again I'm just super stubborn about using that Imperial Veterans set...

I've been running AdvSen/Daredevil Ryad as a point fortress backed up by Lt. Sai/Title carrying Krennic. It ALMOST feels right...I mean, it's HARD to pin down the Countess, and she really loves Optimized Prototype.

But still, that's 150 pts. And the third ship needs to be threatening, and while I'm loving Rhymer with Cluster Missiles...if I lose a ship before my opponent, I'm in serious trouble...

Needs more firepower and I have 6/7 pts to play with, with maybe leaving a 1 pt bid for CIS/Republic opponents. That allows me to switch out Daredevil for Outmaneuver, but I love dancing with Ryad and Outmaneuver puts her over 100 pts... 

Edited by SCSkunk
Spelling/Grammar

12 minutes ago, SCSkunk said:

I'll throw my hat in with the "Why is Rexler the least expensive named Defender" crowd. But then again I'm just super stubborn about using that Imperial Veterans set...

I've been running AdvSen/Daredevil Ryad as a point fortress backed up by Lt. Sai/Title carrying Krennic. It ALMOST feels right...I mean, it's HARD to pin down the Countess, and she really loves Optimized Prototype.

But still, that's 150 pts. And the third ship needs to be threatening, and while I'm loving Rhymer with Cluster Missiles...if I lose a ship before my opponent, I'm in serious trouble...

Needs more firepower and I have 6/7 pts to play with, with maybe leaving a 1 pt bid for CIS/Republic opponents. That allows me to switch out Daredevil for Outmaneuver, but I love dancing with Ryad and Outmaneuver puts her over 100 pts... 

I'm fine with Ryad at 82. Her ability is still very strong in 2.0, as it lets you choose between a blue straight or white K-turn based on the board state at the time of her activation. Paired with the free Evade and ability to boost or barrel roll after the maneuver, her initiative is the only thing that allows her to be outflanked.

Vessery needs to come down, though. I'd probably put him at 80-82.

This is what I have been running lately with defenders, not saying it's top tier but I 'm having good enough results with it and it's fun to fly with the Ciena Ree stuff.

Omicron Group Pilot (43)
Collision Detector (6)
Jamming Beam (0)
Ciena Ree (6)
Hull Upgrade (3)
ST-321 (4)

Delta Squadron Pilot (69)
Jamming Beam (0)

Delta Squadron Pilot (69)
Jamming Beam (0)